Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death to the 1 cent coin!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

You see I would never have thought of that. I'd have spent 5 minutes worrying about what the scary lady in the shop was going to say when I said I couldn't give her the 1 cent as it's no longer legal tender.

Actually, I think I might try that sometime.

but it still is legal tender, and why would you have 1 cent anyway if the were out of circulation. i suppose all in all they are a bit annoying but it would probably be a bit silly to get rid of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

If we got rid of them prices would most likely be rounded up rather than down.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

but it still is legal tender, and why would you have 1 cent anyway if the were out of circulation. i suppose all in all they are a bit annoying but it would probably be a bit silly to get rid of them.

Twas a joke. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

msg11 wrote: »
    They come in handy for me when buying petrol if you go over your target and get say 5.01 .. Suppose thats a use for them...

Theres an idea. Count up all your one cent coins and then go that much over next time you buy fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Lawless_Samurai

dame wrote: »

Yeah just to spite us €4.99 will become €5.05 and then someone will start a thread on "Death to the 5 cent coins!"

Its a vicious circle that will never end!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Plastic ftw. I pay for everything with my debit/credit cards. None of this crap change putting a hole in your pocket! Nothing worse than being stuck behind some auld wan at the checkout and she waits till the last minute to go rooting for her purse and then proceeds to pay using every last copper she has, handing them over slowly one after the other :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

dame wrote: »

They would round them off to the nearest 5c. That's how it was done in Finland when I was living there. If all the groceries came to €39.57 you would pay €39.55, but if the groceries were €39.58 you would pay €39.60.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I guess the retailers would save a few sheckles in coin handling costs if they dropped the .99 pricing. Nobody really falls for it anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

Nothing worse than being stuck behind some auld wan at the checkout and she waits till the last minute to go rooting for her purse and then proceeds to pay using every last copper she has, handing them over slowly one after the other

Except maybe for some youngfella paying for his chewing gum with a credit card, rooting around in his tatty wallet to find the blasted thing, waving it around to demonstrate his social standing, waiting an age for him to remember and input his pin, a fortnight for the ancient card machine to dial home and verify, a further 6 weeks for the dot-matrix to spew out the shop receipt and customer receipt, a few days for our intrepid plastic bearer to audit the receipt closely ("you never know!") and then put in in his wallet with the card before moving on :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Washout

superquinn has thee little cups at the till you can either put coppers in or take some it helps you pay exact amount...I use it both ways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Lawless_Samurai

jester77 wrote: »
    They would round them off to the nearest 5c. That's how it was done in Finland when I was living there. If all the groceries came to €39.57 you would pay €39.55, but if the groceries were €39.58 you would pay €39.60.

Yeah but this is Ireland and any where they can squeeze more money out of you they will... Guaranteed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭UsedtobePC

I always save them for the journeys on the bus. The face on the drivers when you pay 50 cents in assorted coppers (the rest of the fare is on standard coins of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

jester77 wrote: »

Same in Holland, and that was before the Euro came in.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭coolhandc

the whole currency should be changed.in the old days when you had a pound coin you thought you were loaded.how far does fifty quid get you anymore?!doesnt get me very far anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

UsedtobePC wrote: »
    I always save them for the journeys on the bus. The face on the drivers when you pay 50 cents in assorted coppers (the rest of the fare is on standard coins of course)

This is the one and only use for small change. Stuffing as much crap in the coin slot is my way of saying "Don't be late next time". Plus, the machine doesn't count the money, so massive saving can be made by the savvy commuter...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

I'll be heading out for a pint later, so I might ask one of the beggars on the ha'penny bridge his opinion on this whole 1 cent issue.

Said it before that I'd feel scabby giving a 1c coin to a beggar as he'd probably peg it back in my face, while shouting obscenities that would make a whore blush.

This is the one and only use for small change. Stuffing as much crap in the coin slot is my way of saying "Don't be late next time". Plus, the machine doesn't count the money, so massive saving can be made by the savvy commuter...

Probably late because of people paying with 1c and 2c coins:p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Daft notion altogether, this sort of thing might work in happy friendly less ripoffesque countries, actualy come to think of it I was in Sweden and Denmark Years ago and it annoyed the stones out of me then, and they even had the good sense to price everything to the nearest 5

over here it has become a stealth tax, shops price everything at $XX.X3c and then round up on every item, that is to say that if you buy 11 items all priced at 53 cent then your bill should be $5.83c rounded to $5.85c

however ( in some of the more scurrilous establishments) if you look closely at yer shoppin receipt you would see that the items get rounded individually instead ( ok most people dont buy 11 identical items by themselves so its generally not as obvious) so that yer bill is now $6.05c

see what happened there.

Another occasion I was in a servo, I'd filled both Tanks on the ute and the thingy on the pump said $106.81c so I paid with my EFTPOS card, and the little B&$+@rd rounded me up to .85c

its a card, how can a card not have exact change????

Full divisibility of a nations currency is essential, rounding drives inflation by stealth..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

That is one thing I love about living in this country. I carry little or no cash, everything can be done with the swipe of a card. Even for small transfers.

EFTPOS all the way
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debit_card#New_Zealand

There is no 1c, 2c or 5c coins. Rounding is used. Pay by card and it doesn't effect you. Pay by cash and sometimes you gain a few cent, sometimes you lose a few cent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i keep all the 1's and 2s in a jar and will probably get about €50 when i bring them all to the bank

• Advertisement

i keep all the 1's and 2s in a jar and will probably get about €50 when i bring them all to the bank

In a wheelbarrow ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭coolhandc

yeh using plastic is a gud idea but many shops have an atm and if you are buying something for a fiver and give them your laser they ask you to take out cash from the machine.
    i think it costs them money to take lasers.
    they would save alot of money if they didnt have to be giving out lots of change.that stuffs expensive if your getting it all the time...
    i thought that when the euro was being introduced they were going to round all the numbers in shops and all that,instead they just jacked the price up and tried to fool people...
    so how do we go about changing this...do we set up a petition and send it to the government?lets do it

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I turf them into the self scan unit in Superquinn every now and then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

i work in a shop and there nothin i hate more than them poxy coppers the jus so irrelevant why would someone one make them in the first place make them so small like wat happened to the size of a 1p that would have made them slightly more tolerable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

ecoli wrote: »
    i work in a shop and there nothin i hate more than them poxy coppers the jus so irrelevant why would someone one make them in the first place make them so small like wat happened to the size of a 1p that would have made them slightly more tolerable

People look at you as if you've robbed a poor-box when you produce a bunch of coppers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I throw them away

yes I'm THAT wealthy

Are they actually made from copper. If they are we could melt them down and make them into pipes or something useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭davejones

Yes death to the 1 cent coin.
    i think i have a phobia of them,i really don't like touching them-any copper coins in fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 BoB the 7th

Terry wrote: »
    I have no idea what you said there.

Please feel free to repost and take advantage of the generous 10,000 character limit and the qwerty keyboard in front of you.

I was broke one day, so I went to the shop with €7 in two cent coins for a packet of cigarettes. It was a pain in the hole carrying that much change, but I got my nicotene fix.
    I see the PRICKS are still in charge...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I see the PRICKS are still in charge...

Took you ages though.

Should of gone to Specsavers?

Advertisement