Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death to the 1 cent coin!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

I've had that, tell the shop you'll take a 5 cent if they don't have the correct change. Have to say they don't bother me. I'm one of those that takes ages counting out his change at the till during rush hour lotto madness :-)

Aren't they supposed to be bringing in Australian style plastic money? Maybe they'll adopt the whole Australian policy with 5 cent denominator and rounding down/up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

How much is a penny sweet these days? When I was a lad ye'd fish all the pennies out of your pocket and buy exactly that amount of sweets! T'was a simplar time I tell's ye!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭irishfeller

Bronze coins are a pain - ye can't even use em in vendin machines or anythin,

I dump all my bronze coins in a jar then each few months bring em into a shop with one of these machines in it:
    http://www.coinexpress.ie/customer_list.php

Ye get a receipt and then can buy stuff in the shop with it.

Its like gettin something for nothing!

Although wouldn't recommend it for other cios as the commission they take is too big - 10% or so. Good way of gettin rid of the crappy bronze coins tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,917 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I use my pennies as projectiles. Why waste good paper?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Rob_l wrote: »
    what :eek: :mad::mad:
    Can I owe you?
    I'd flip the till off the counter for that

Went to a shop near Connolly on the way home Sunday night to buy milk.
    2.19 for a two liter, gave in 2.20, guy looked at it, put it in the till, closed it and handed me a receipt for 2.19.

Not that I'm going to go broke over a cent, but thought it was a bit cheeky.
    Was tempted to demand my cent just to annoy him (was grumpy cos train was late).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Hester

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Can I owe you? Do shop people really say this?
    Yeah, what a pile of crap! Like they're gonna give it to you next time you're in?

I used to work in a music shop where most things were (over)priced €X.99. Occasionally i'd run out of 1c coins so rather than saying something retarded like "Can I owe you?" I would alternate between giving a 2c coin or none at all. It would even out, so no annoying differences. I was quite sneaky about it. If somebody was buying something for say €19.99 and paid with a €20 note, they would get a 2c coin as they would be expecting change. But if someone was getting other coins in their change they would hardly notice or query a missing 1c. Genius. Yes, it was a quiet shop and I was vey bored. :(:o

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Genius? Even someone with below average intelligence could tell you that you needed to stock more 1c coins in your till.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 BoB the 7th

I don't c wot the big deal is... If u don't want them just gv them to the next homeless person u pass.

I don't c wot the big deal is... If u don't want them just gv them to the next homeless person u pass.

Well done, you couldn't of misunderstood things any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

You know the way when you have a rake of wretched coppers in your wallet and feel like fecking them away? I would actually feel scabby giving these coins to beggars, so worthless is the 1 cent coin that they'd probably throw them back in my face.

Just wondering would a beggar be insulted if I gave him a couple of 1 and 2 cent coins coming out of a shop. Are there any beggars on boards.ie that can shed a bit of light on this one?

• Advertisement

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Genius? Even someone with below average intelligence could tell you that you needed to stock more 1c coins in your till.
    Yeah obviously, but unfortunately for me, the person who was in charge of getting coin for the shop didn't actually work on the till so didn't give a rat's ass if we ran out of 1c coins or anything else. It was a complete disaster at times but it didn't affect her so she wasn't bothered. :rolleyes:

Hester wrote: »
    Yeah obviously, but unfortunately for me, the person who was in charge of getting coin for the shop didn't actually work on the till so didn't give a rat's ass if we ran out of 1c coins or anything else. It was a complete disaster at times but it didn't affect her so she wasn't bothered. :rolleyes:

tbh, it probably made your day pass quicker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

A lot of shops have a little plastic collection box for some charity or other. If the 1c annoys you put it in the box. Funnily enough, most people keep all their 1c coins. Mine go in a big jar and get dumped into one of those coin counter machines every so often. You'd be surprised how much they can amount to.

You are right, I had years worth of them sitting in a jar. One day I counted them all up and there was €3.62. I bought a shiny new red bicycle.
    Then I rode my shiny new red bicycle all the way to Hazelbrook Farm for a big bowl of icecream, and do you know what? It still tastes every bit as good today as it did then.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I have no idea what you said there.

Please feel free to repost and take advantage of the generous 10,000 character limit and the qwerty keyboard in front of you.

I was broke one day, so I went to the shop with €7 in two cent coins for a packet of cigarettes. It was a pain in the hole carrying that much change, but I got my nicotene fix.

Like most people, I accumulated a pile of "shrapnel" over a few weeks. I went into Tesco's to buy some odds & sods and used the self service till, it was like playing the fruit machines in Vegas :D.

Appart from that they are a complete waste.

Ditch the 1 & 2 c coins, YES!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Was watchnin something there last night on the US Treasury....for them to keep the coins in circulation there making money cause only costs them something like 0.8 or 0.08 to make! So you can see why they keep them...they've got a war to fund,lol!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Like most people, I accumulated a pile of "shrapnel" over a few weeks. I went into Tesco's to buy some odds & sods and used the self service till, it was like playing the fruit machines in Vegas :D.

That's a lynching offense in my local Tesco.
    It's a good idea but not if there are 20 people waiting for you to finish :mad:

micmclo wrote: »
    That's a lynching offense in my local Tesco.
    It's a good idea but not if there are 20 people waiting for you to finish :mad:

I do it before the start of a day shift @07:10 I can choose which till to use ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ashyle

I collect them in a big bottle! I'll be rich one of these days ya hear...then who'll be the loser :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

Yeah get rid of the 1 and 2 cent coins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

The toll on the M50 doesn't accept them, and they have people sitting there all day counting money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Xavi6 wrote: »
    They did that over here so but now everything is $9.95 etc so you end up having the same problem with 5 cent pieces.
    The thing is though I can't remember ever actually handing a 1 cent coin to someone in a shop. I've regularly used the 5 cents.

dame wrote: »
    The toll on the M50 doesn't accept them, and they have people sitting there all day counting money!
    That sucks. Toll is an ideal place to get rid of the feckers.

Personally I try not to let them build up to any extent. Get rid of them here and there in shops to even out my change and avoid getting more. I try to offload a few on the buses and at the tesco self service tills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Bronze coins are a pain - ye can't even use em in vendin machines or anythin,

I dump all my bronze coins in a jar...
    Is "bronze coins" the posh phrase for "coppers"? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

They come in handy for me when buying petrol if you go over your target and get say 5.01 .. Suppose thats a use for them...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

death of the 1c coin; yes please.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

The shop a used to work in (a well known department store) priced everything at 1.98 of 2.99, etc, so we always needed 1 and 2 cent coins. We ran out nearly every day, and the company ended up losing thousands of euro (although an insignificant amount to such a large company.) They put signs up in the locker room telling us to make sure that we always had enough change, but they never had any to give us when we ran out. I used to give out 5 cent coins sometimes, or if I was giving back other coins I would just leave it out. (That was when the 5 cent coins were gone too!)

One day another person working with me ran out of 1 cent coins so decided to give the customer a 2 cent coin. The customer went mad, demanded a 1 cent coin, said he didn't want to be seen as stealing from the company. Fair enough, the shop should have provided the correct change, but the man got fairly angry over such a small thing.

Another time I handed over a 1 cent coin and the customer returned a minute later to ask me to exchange it for a 'proper' one. It seems the one I had given her had a speck of dirt on it.

I'd be all for getting rid of the 1 cent coin, but as someone else said, what would happen if you went over on your petrol by 1 cent? (Very easy to do.)

Then again, money is money so send all your 1 cent coins this way!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

msg11 wrote: »
    They come in handy for me when buying petrol if you go over your target and get say 5.01 .. Suppose thats a use for them...

put a tiny bit more til you get to 5.02/5.05/5.10?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

put a tiny bit more til you get to 5.02/5.05/5.10?

You see I would never have thought of that. I'd have spent 5 minutes worrying about what the scary lady in the shop was going to say when I said I couldn't give her the 1 cent as it's no longer legal tender.

Actually, I think I might try that sometime.

Advertisement