Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death to the 1 cent coin!

Options
  • 15-11-2007 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭

Does anyone else hate one cent coins. :mad:Everything is priced €1.99, €5.99 etc so your guaranteed to get one everytime you buy something. If you try and buy something using them you get dirty looks from the assistant behind the counter, but yet they don't hesitate in handing them out to you. There so small they fall out of your wallet. You try and give them to charity and it looks like your being cheap. I hate them.:mad::mad::mad:

So I propose banning them.

Who's with me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

Why is everyone picking on small change these days
    its not the monies fault!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

They did that over here so but now everything is $9.95 etc so you end up having the same problem with 5 cent pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

As far as I know, there are only a few of the EURO nations have them. A lot of them don't use it...

It is a real pain and it's pretty worthless....

Ban + 1 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Reminds me of that ep of the west wing in s03 iirc with the guy trying to stop production of the cent.

Meh, don't care either way since I stopped working in a pos position.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

I just keep every one that i get in my own one man attept to take them out of circulation, i guess one day ill get bored and offload them on some poor shop assistant

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

I agree, ban them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

they were only supposed to be a temporary so prices wouldn't be rounded up in the changeover but the retailers apparently insisted on keeping their 99.99.99 speil. and our govt are a lazy shower of...

the Australian system is good. lowest coin is the 5 cent, but everything is still priced normally... just rounded up or down at the til.

i just randomly throw mine somewhere if i have them forced upon me.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Lawless_Samurai

Excellent plan Cool CM!!! :D:):D

Yeah they wreck my head too....... vote +2:D

the Australian system is good. lowest coin is the 5 cent, but everything is still priced normally... just rounded up or down at the til.

They do that in Denmark too and it seems to work fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭auggie2k

I believe they already got rid of the poxy tiny 1, 2 and 5 cent coins in a few EU countries. I remember because a guy my dad knows was collecting every coin with every design from every country in the EU and he couldn't get it from like 3 countries - cos they don't exist - apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

They do that in Denmark too and it seems to work fine

you know the retailers here though would refuse to round down, and our govt are such a spineless bunch that they'd never try to force it on them...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

I don't mind the 1 or 2 cent coins because I just throw them into a coin jar which, when full, gets emptied out and the coins exchanged for notes :D. However, what I do hate is those till monkeys who say "can i just owe you the 2 cent?" or something like that instead of handing it over. No you can't ****ing "owe" it, gimme my damn change you ****ing spanner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 roadrunner41

Just think for second.

Think how rich you'd be with 100 1-cent coins!

You'd only be a euro rich and the dirty look you'd get bringing that into a shop to be changed!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

Creature wrote: »
    I don't mind the 1 or 2 cent coins because I just throw them into a coin jar which, when full, gets emptied out and the coins exchanged for notes :D. However, what I do hate is those till monkeys who say "can i just owe you the 2 cent?" or something like that instead of handing it over. No you can't ****ing "owe" it, gimme my damn change you ****ing spanner.

what :eek: :mad::mad:
    Can I owe you?
    I'd flip the till off the counter for that

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Merrick

They're annoying, but not EXTREMELY annoying for me. I just keep them, gather them all up every now and then, and offload them onto a bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I always think it'd be fun to convert your months salary in to 1c coins and then roll around in them and feel rich.

Apart from that, they have no use!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I like them! I save them up so I can have a day spending nothing but 1c coins. They love it when I do that, the best part is they remember you and always live in fear you'll do it again everytime you walk in.

The most abundant coin is the 20c. I very rarely get 1c coins.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Dinxminx

I HATE 1 and 2 cent coins. God. Bane of my life. They live in my many piggybanks and I never use them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I just leave the shop before they can give them to me, or drop them in the cancer/blind/whatnot box on the counter

• Advertisement

Hey cool sign by the way pd101.... You must really hate the 1c coin to go to that much trouble!!!! :D:):D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

Hey cool sign by the way pd101.... You must really hate the 1c coin to go to that much trouble!!!! :D:):D

Thanks I put alot of effort into it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

Its more fun, when they ask can they owe you the one cent and you refuse. Causes panic with the person working the till. When they get it sorted then put the money in the poor box.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Get rid of the 2c pieces!

I started a thread like this a while ago, all the coins are too similar.
    I don't pay for things with change, I lump it all in a jar and sort it out another day.

Here is the crux: the 2 cent coins are worse than the 1 cent coins.
    The 2 cents are very similar size to the 5 cents.

Now if you only have a few in your hand, they are easier to decipher. But when there are 500 in a pile, the 2 cents and 5 cents are hard to tell apart quickly, unlike the 1 cents.

It's a much better plan to get rid of the 2cent pieces, because there will be no need for prices to be changed/another round of shopkeepers rounding prices up.
    Getting rid of 2cent pieces is a more attainable goal, and a would make for a much smoother transition.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭H.O.T.A.S.

IIRC It actually cost more than 2cents to produce a 2 cent coin :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Can I owe you? Do shop people really say this?

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Dinxminx

Can they not just ditch the 1s AND 2s??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Get rid of them? pffft

1c & 2c coins are for hoarding until you encounter an obnoxious barkeep.

Then simply order a large round, when asked to pay whack your pile o' copper on the bar.."Pick it out of that," before launching into the "It's all legal tender," speech when your asked to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

We should march on thge Dail!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Get rid of the 2c pieces!

I started a thread like this a while ago, all the coins are too similar.
    I don't pay for things with change, I lump it all in a jar and sort it out another day.

Here is the crux: the 2 cent coins are worse than the 1 cent coins.
    The 2 cents are very similar size to the 5 cents.

Now if you only have a few in your hand, they are easier to decipher. But when there are 500 in a pile, the 2 cents and 5 cents are hard to tell apart quickly, unlike the 1 cents.

It's a much better plan to get rid of the 2cent pieces, because there will be no need for prices to be changed/another round of shopkeepers rounding prices up.
    Getting rid of 2cent pieces is a more attainable goal, and a would make for a much smoother transition.

You're actually right. Recently I was trying to sort of a drawer full of coins (Usually when I have change I just throw it in the drawer), and no matter how many times I thought I had all the 2c and 5c separated, there were always some of each getting mixed up. :mad:

Advertisement