Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rolls at lunchtime

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

ciano1 wrote: »
    Panini's ftw :)
    Away with your continental crap! Infidel!

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭deaddonkey

I fancy one of the girls who makes my roll because she's so good at it. Whenever i get her, i breath a sigh or relief. Now i fantasise about making sweet love over the counter :o

you wanna fill her baguette? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 timamansio

ciano1 wrote: »
    Panini's ftw :)

Ok - apologies for being off topic and for being a pedant but panini is already plural - no need for the 's' and definitely no need for the apostrophe. The singular is panino. Mind you, I'll admit that asking for a panino anywhere except an Italian deli is likely to result in a blank stare from the sandwich maker.

On topic(ish): The problem I have with staff in delis is the cross contamination factor - I don't want to be eating the previous customer's tuna because you've used the same gloves/knife to make my turkey and cheddar roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

timamansio wrote: »
    Ok - apologies for being off topic and for being a pedant but panini is already plural - no need for the 's' and definitely no need for the apostrophe. The singular is panino. Mind you, I'll admit that asking for a panino anywhere except an Italian deli is likely to result in a blank stare from the sandwich maker.

On topic(ish): The problem I have with staff in delis is the cross contamination factor - I don't want to be eating the previous customer's tuna because you've used the same gloves/knife to make my turkey and cheddar roll.

Ha Ha, Timamansio! That must have really being irking you, you just had to let it out. Like when people say atm machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Surely you mean Panino Maker?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

monkey9 wrote: »
    So it would start off by me asking "can i have a roll with butter please?" They will cut the roll and then ask me if i'd like butter or mayo. "I would like butter on my roll with butter please", i reply.
    QUOTE]

LOL

I go to same deli every morning, I have done for probably the last six months. I always order the same thing. The same girl always serves me. Always.

And everyday, she looks at me and says "What would you like?" I don't expect her to remember my order (well, I do actually), but even some flicker of recognition would be nice. Everyday the same, white or brown, butter or mayo, and a completly blank look while asking what else I'd like. I feel like saying "Guess..go on...take a WILD GUESS ON WHAT I'D LIKE IN MY BLOODY SANDWICH."

Oh dear. Didn't realise it bothered me quite so much..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 timamansio

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Surely you mean Panino Maker?

Touché :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭ciano1

Wow he told me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭boardinwork

I'd hate to have to make rolls all day :(

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Timothy Bryce

Faith wrote: »
    Yeah, I learned that the hard way. Now I order like this:

"I'd like a roll with mayonnaise please". I watch her put the mayo on.
    "Now I'd like chicken please." Watch again.
    "And some lettuce."
    "Finally, some tomato."
    "Thanks."

By asking for your roll this way you also benefit from extra quantities of these fillings.

Good times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭homerjk

Praise the lord, I am not alone!!!

It actually depresses me for the rest of the day some of my sandwiches are that badly made.

I also try the one at a time ingredient most of the time to try and reduce the chance of getting an awful sandwich, but as some else said as soon as they hear one ingredient the run off to wrap the sandwich and I have to call them back. I'm thinking to myself "Did you really think I wanted just lettuce and garlic mayo on brown bread?"

There is also one snotty bitch I get sometimes who wont comply with the one ingredient at a time method. I'll say one ingredient and then she'll be like "And what else?" and stand there and ill say another and then she'll stand saying "What else?" and so on. Eventually she goes off to make it on her wee side of the counter and without FAIL she forgets something and comes back all high mighty handing it back. When I tell her she forgot the sweetcorn or whatever I get the stinkeye for about 10 seconds and then shes back and unwraps it.

[SIZE=-1]As someone earlier mentioned, I stop and think to myself, "Is this really the way you make your own sandwiches?", it couldn't be! [/SIZE]

I had the [SIZE=-1]pièce de résistance yesterday. New guy started so I gave him the benefit of the doubt and gave him all the goods at once. He put mayo on one side of the bread. This is one the single thing that drives me up the wall. who does that?! Anyway he was pretty competent (or so I thought) after this. Placed the ingredients on alright and went off to get the chicken fillet. He cut the fillet and just before he did I said to myself "This lad is SO going to put chicken on the other slice that has no ingredients on it". Bam! Straight onto the side with no ingredients. And as soon as he put on the last piece of chicken he realized. He stared at the two sides for about 10 seconds. He looked at me. He looked back at the the sandwich. And then he went for it. He grabbed the two pieces and hung on for dear life as he tried to somehow merge them together. Atomic disaster. Ingredients everywhere.

I took my sandwich, paid for it and walked out. Crying.
    [/SIZE]

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭JAMM222

heading for a roll now hopefully the rollmakers have been watching this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

Deli shops are interesting, i can never undesrtand how they can get simple orders wrong so consistantly, even after telling them 3 time what you want. What i hate as well is when they try to guess what you want. Butter? Mayo? Chicken, lettuce and tomato? Why don't they just let you tell them what you want, it's much easier!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

stop putting stinkin sweetcorn in tuna mayonaise you feckless band of cócks. serve em seperately and get twice the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Why do Subway have about 20 types of sauces you can get on your roll, and yet not butter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Fooz

My local place insists on heating every wrap they make. They're nice cold too and I'd appreciate the option of having it either cold or hot. I've learned my lesson but only my lovely lettuce, mayo, chicken and onion wrap was nuked at 5,000 degrees. The hot runny mayo nearly scalded me and the heat turned the lettuce into some sort of manky cabbage-like horror.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭*Lees*

The deli near my old job was the worst!! :mad:
    I once ordered a sandwhich with mayo, chicken, cheese and cucumber! Instead of slicing the cucumber into thin little disks she chopped it thickly and then diced it into big fat cubes plonked it into my sandwhich and then squeezed both slices of bread together!! There was hand prints on my bread with little holes with cubes of cucumber peeking through!! :mad:
    The lady in the deli near my new job is fantastic! She makes the prefect sandwhiches.. I love her! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

the worst thing is when you ask for, say, "a spicy chicken baguette with butter and grated cheese" and they put the cheese on top of the chicken, meaning you lose 75% of the cheese as you eat it.

the worst thing is when you ask for, say, "a spicy chicken baguette with butter and grated cheese" and they put the cheese on top of the chicken, meaning you lose 75% of the cheese as you eat it.
    Or, as used to be the case when I used to get my hot chicken baguette in Dunnes, I'd ask to have cheese on it and the girl would say that she wasn't allowed to give me cheese. :confused:

It used to be €3.95 (or thereabouts) for the roll with included hot chicken, lettuce, tomato & mayo. But if I asked for cheese, even when I offered to pay the extra, she'd say that she wasn't allowed. The mind boggles.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I've stopped asking for grated cheese on my hot chicken rolls, it's actually scary the size of the handfulls of cheese I was getting, my car seat has grated cheese mashed in all over it (I eat on the run a lot)... Now I ask for swiss cause its sliced and they have to put it on first and I get get just a nice amount and its melted into my chicken... tastier too imo.. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I worked in Spar many moons ago and making rolls gives you great power. Now usually the customer got what they wanted but if was a regular pr*ck like some of the business types were I'd make sure to put the mayo/ketchup/brown sauce on last so as to create a lovely sticky mess on the clingfilm that would take have the fillings with it upon unwrapping. By the sounds of it some of my victims could be posting here! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

That grated cheese is dirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

The sensible thing to do when they are putting many ingredients in would be to cut V in the roll rather than just cut it in half.

TK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

homerjk wrote: »

I had the [SIZE=-1]pièce de résistance yesterday. New guy started so I gave him the benefit of the doubt and gave him all the goods at once. He put mayo on one side of the bread. This is one the single thing that drives me up the wall. who does that?! Anyway he was pretty competent (or so I thought) after this. Placed the ingredients on alright and went off to get the chicken fillet. He cut the fillet and just before he did I said to myself "This lad is SO going to put chicken on the other slice that has no ingredients on it". Bam! Straight onto the side with no ingredients. And as soon as he put on the last piece of chicken he realized. He stared at the two sides for about 10 seconds. He looked at me. He looked back at the the sandwich. And then he went for it. He grabbed the two pieces and hung on for dear life as he tried to somehow merge them together. Atomic disaster. Ingredients everywhere.

I took my sandwich, paid for it and walked out. Crying.
    [/SIZE]

F**kin Funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭juuge

Terry wrote: »
    That grated cheese is dirt.
    You are dead right !
    I worked in a deli some time ago and every piece of scrap cheese we could find was grated up and served again - don't touch it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 roadrunner41

There is one particular Spar i get rollage from regularly and there is this one employee who when you ask for a simple hot chicken roll, she hands you back what appears to be a diembowled panini. In addition, she always mixes frickin mayonnaise with butter together. Sacrilege! :mad:

Its like playing Russian roulette standing in the que as to whether you are going to be served by her or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

In my local shop they're the best. Your rolls do be overflowing with fillings, sandwiches higher than they are wide, boxes full of wings or wedges....and the food tastes great.

Got a shock recently when I discovered that in everywhere else you get at best 2 slices of meat or 5 wings in a portion.:eek: Whats going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Lawless_Samurai

JAMM222 wrote: »
    Does anyone else always seem to get the one person behind the deli counter that is really bad a making rolls! would you like butter? yes a small bit please! 5 tubs later and she is still layering it on! grrrrrrrrrrrr:mad:

Brilliant! Been laughing at that the last 5 mins!!! :D:):D

I never had a problem with it before until recently. Is it a recent phenonemon thats been occuring???

Brilliant! Been laughing at that the last 5 mins!!! :D:):D
    5 mins?

Now I know who RTE test their new comedy shows on before they're aired.

I never had a problem with it before until recently. Is it a recent phenonemon thats been occuring???
    Damn foreigners coming over here ruining our sandwiches!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Faith wrote: »
    I do hate that. I ordered a roll before with mayo, chicken, lettuce and sweetcorn. She put in chicken, then lettuce, then sweetcorn, THEN MAYO ON TOP and wrapped it in clingfilm! When I unwrapped it, all the mayo and sweetcorn got pulled off.

I lol'd... and I'm not even sure why! :)

Advertisement