Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rolls at lunchtime

Options
  • 14-11-2007 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭

Does anyone else always seem to get the one person behind the deli counter that is really bad a making rolls! would you like butter? yes a small bit please! 5 tubs later and she is still layering it on! grrrrrrrrrrrr:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Not to mention that a bread roll is not a baguette in any language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭boardinwork

Sounds like this one in a Spar in Talbot St :mad: I try to dodge her all the time!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

JAMM222 wrote: »
    Does anyone else always seem to get the one person behind the deli counter that is really bad a making rolls! would you like butter? yes a small bit please! 5 tubs later and she is still layering it on! grrrrrrrrrrrr:mad:

I hate these butter freaks firstly its horrible spread crap not butter and second what part of cover my roll did you get when i said a small amount :mad::mad:

I have had them throw bread int he bin I told them it was ruined and scrapping off the butter/ mayo would still leave it ruined I had to watch her carefully to make sure she didn't spit in my roll that day

I really like chicken fillet rolls with white onion, lettuce and a bit of mayo. Today i got a sandwhich though :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

oooooooh or wraps? ...serioulsy... I got a wallet sized box of a tuna wrap today.
    how the HELL is someone supposed to eat that??

Had to get a knife & fix it myself.
    jebus... >:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭JAMM222

would you like some ham? yes please! hold on while i kill 15 pigs and chop them up and stuff them in your roll!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭smilingeyerish

speaking of white onion, why do deli's now all have red onion, sure, it looks fancier and the like but it just isnt as flavoursome! bring back the white onion!!! enough of the fancy pants red variety!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Don't get me started on the Cheese and Coleslaw madness!! I know during the 80's there used to be Butter and Grain Mountains in the EU but are there now Cheese and Coleslaw Mountains that they're trying to get rid of in local Deli's?

These people that make the Rolls/Sandwiches, have they ever actually made one for themselves?
    Surely they know that putting 2lbs of Coleslaw and 2lbs of Cheese on the bread is not going to heighten the eating experience?!?! :rolleyes:

I fancy one of the girls who makes my roll because she's so good at it. Whenever i get her, i breath a sigh or relief. Now i fantasise about making sweet love over the counter :o

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

This is something that really p1sses me off... I rarely find a deli person that actually makes the roll the way I want it.. What’s with packing all the salad, mayo, cheese etc on and then laying the pieces of hot chicken across the top.. How in the hell is someone supposed to eat this without the use of cutlery and a plate??, it just goes everywhere :confused: I went to one on my way to work on Monday morning in Lucan, she asked me if I'd like butter or mayo and I replied "small bit of mayo please" to which she flashes me a big enthusiastic smile and asks "and what else" so I tell her and I walk off to get a drink.. When I took the clingfilm wrapped roll I had a feeling something wasn't right, call it skepticism or whatever so I went over to the counter and opened it and all that was on it was 1 slice of Swiss cheese and a my hot chicken fillet.. Dry as a bone, no mayo in sight.. So I went back and told her and she flashes me the same big smile, takes the roll off me and ladens it with mayo.. Had I not been already running late I'd of told her to make it again, it was dripping in the stuff, I had to scrape most of it off in the car.. I've often been tempted to stand over them and supervise the making of my sandwich, I wonder if they'd mind..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Maybe ye lot should make your own lunches instead of bitching about the "wrong" way that people in delis make them

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

McCambridges on Shop street has brilliant rolls. And just a smidgeon of mayonnaise on it :)

Ph3n0m wrote: »
    Maybe ye lot should make your own lunches instead of bitching about the "wrong" way that people in delis make them

obviously a bad rollmaker!

yeah and maybe i should perform my own heart surgery rather than complain about consultant doctors

biko wrote: »
    McCambridges on Shop street has brilliant rolls. And just a smidgeon of mayonnaise on it :)

couldnt agree more used to go there at lunchtime when i was in school!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

mmhmm.......rolls!

my ultimate roll is garlic mayo(no butter), grated cheese, lettuce, RED onion and spicy chicken.every so often i might get the ingredients of said roll and have them in a wrap but its just not as nice!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I do hate that. I ordered a roll before with mayo, chicken, lettuce and sweetcorn. She put in chicken, then lettuce, then sweetcorn, THEN MAYO ON TOP and wrapped it in clingfilm! When I unwrapped it, all the mayo and sweetcorn got pulled off.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Faith wrote: »
    all the mayo and sweetcorn got pulled off.
    LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I do hate that. I ordered a roll before with mayo, chicken, lettuce and sweetcorn. She put in chicken, then lettuce, then sweetcorn, THEN MAYO ON TOP and wrapped it in clingfilm! When I unwrapped it, all the mayo and sweetcorn got pulled off.

*pats Faith on head*
    There there now

You have to tell them one item at a time and int he order you wnat it on the roll otherwise they get confused poor primitive sambo makers

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Rob_l wrote: »
    You have to tell them one item at a time and int he order you wnat it on the roll otherwise they get confused poor primitive sambo makers

Yeah, I learned that the hard way. Now I order like this:

"I'd like a roll with mayonnaise please". I watch her put the mayo on.
    "Now I'd like chicken please." Watch again.
    "And some lettuce."
    "Finally, some tomato."
    "Thanks."

I've tried that and it does work, sometimes, but sometimes they think all you want is chicken or whatever your first item is and cram it full of that.. We need to find a happy medium..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Easy solution. No butter. It is disgusting.

xzanti wrote: »
    I've tried that and it does work, sometimes, but sometimes they think all you want is chicken or whatever your first item is and cram it full of that.. We need to find a happy medium..

thast when you slap them and respond with your best cartman impression "bad sambo maker thats not the way i want my roll" now take all that off and start again and dont make me come around tot he other side of this counter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

yeah and maybe i should perform my own heart surgery rather than complain about consultant doctors

See thats the problem - making a sandwich/roll aint heart surgery, so even you should be able to perform such an easy task, plus you dont have to feel bad if its crap, cause then you only have yourself to blame :)

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Easy solution. No butter. It is disgusting.

At the risk of sounding like a Kerrygold ad.. Real butter is yum.. That tubbed crap is rank.. work of the devil :o

• Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Thank God. I thought i was the only one. Firstly, why should we bring in our lunches. If we want to go to the deli, we should be entitled to and get what we ask for. It's called customer service.
    I mean, they don't seem to understand the term 'a little bit'. No matter what you say, they'll always put the same amount in. You have to actually stand there and watch to make sure you get what you ask for.
    So it would start off by me asking "can i have a roll with butter please?" They will cut the roll and then ask me if i'd like butter or mayo. "I would like butter on my roll with butter please", i reply.
    "What else?"
    "Tuna please........and boiled egg.....no sorry, not onions. Boiled egg"
    "You not ask for onions?"
    "No, i said boiled egg"
    "Anything else?"
    "Yeah, a little bit of lettuce please", at which point they plonk a handful of the stuff onto the roll. Then another bit for good luck. They don't even push it filling in, they just wrap it up. And you can see the wrap go into the roll so when you unwrap it, lots of it will fall out. I once had a roll where the lettuce kept falling off everytime i lowered the wrapping so i didn't get any of it. I mean, maybe it was my fault. I probably should have told them that i didnt want the lettuce as a side salad, but that i actually wanted it in the roll.
    It worse when you get it in the wrap. Now correct me if i'm wrong, but a wrap should probably be....you know.....wrapped!!!!!????? They dont get it all the way round so everything falls out, gets messy and you end up chucking it in the bin.
    Or if getting a chicken fillet baquette. I only want a little ketchup, but they just squirt it in. So i ask for the roll buttered, then ketchup before asking for the ingrediants. And i hate it when it made, they turn around and say "do you want ketchup and mayo on that??" "What are you talking about?? I asked for ketchup at the start of the process.
    And another thing, why is that when paying for these things or anything else in Spar or Centra etc, they always say "Next please!"
    Yeak, i know how the queue system works buddy. I know i'm next. I'm standing in front of you, putting the stuff onto the counter. I know it's petty, but i can't help it. It's even got to the stage where i'm ready to get there before i can say it. Customer in front is putting the changing in wallet/purse. I'm looking the cashier straight in the eye to let them now that i'm fully aware and concentrating on what needs to be done. My attention hasn't wandered. I'm not looking around me. Customer.........is..........gone. Right, goods plonked down on the counter, tenner in the air going towards the cashier's hand and yet still...................."next please"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Panini's ftw :)

See thats the problem - making a sandwich/roll aint heart surgery, so even you should be able to perform such an easy task, plus you dont have to feel bad if its crap, cause then you only have yourself to blame :)

Look i never took the course in roll making its not part of my job description Im not goign to start attempting something like that

Also I prefer my rolls fresh I find if they are made earlier in the day and kept the bread gets damp and soggy and I dont find the experience enjoyable when eating a soggy sambo this is why I get them to make my roll/sambo rather than just buy one of the pre-made ones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Damn you all moaning about getting too much food in your roll's.

I can't even eat rolls :(

Advertisement