Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I call in sick?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Rob_l wrote: »
    i hope for you sake those thirty seconds aren't critical to you

and when did sambo shops have crisis cover staff
    oh no we have a sandwich emergency today:D:D:D:D

"give me a BLT with mayo dressing. STAT !" :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I think that time management is really something you should be examining as opposed to making up excuses for your procrastination over your college work.

Maybe if you didn't post on internet forums you might be able to free up enough time to do both your college stuff and make it to your part time job.

Just some thoughts for you.

Lmao. I take it you just skipped over the part where I said I was actually sick with a contagious illness (nay, 3 contagious illnesses) and I work with food?
    I voted no and you still called in sick... :mad: not impressed!

If I'd known you voted no, I'd have gone!
    If you'd read the original thread carefully you'd see that the underlying intention was to get some sort of public validation for her case to call in sick

I was actually looking for a majority vote in either way.
    I'm very happy indeed and no, I'm not faith's boss....

Her thread seemed to be focusing on the wrong areas - instead of seeking validation for pulling a sickie because she's that needy it might be a better idea to examine the issues that have led her to this decision in the first place. i.e. Can't be arsed going to work

If you can't be arsed going to work and you have a reasonable attendance record pull a sickie FFS! It's not like she's a linchpin in a major investment bank or anything

Seriously, I'm actually rolling on the floor right now. Again, you just skipped the bit where I described that I'm actually sick, right? This is quite a monumental day for me because I've never called in sick before, to any job. Ever. In 6 years. The "issues" that have led me to this decision are:

1. Infectious tonsillitis
    2. A bacterial ear infection
    3. An infectious cold.

Thanks for the replies everyone, most of them made me laugh and cheered me up!

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Timothy Bryce

Faith wrote: »
    Lmao. I take it you just skipped over the part where I said I was actually sick with a contagious illness (nay, 3 contagious illnesses) and I work with food?

If I'd known you voted no, I'd have gone!

I was actually looking for a majority vote in either way.

Seriously, I'm actually rolling on the floor right now. Again, you just skipped the bit where I described that I'm actually sick, right? This is quite a monumental day for me because I've never called in sick before, to any job. Ever. In 6 years. The "issues" that have led me to this decision are:

1. Infectious tonsillitis
    2. A bacterial ear infection
    3. An infectious cold.

Thanks for the replies everyone, most of them made me laugh and cheered me up!

Good to hear I have you laughing - so answer me this then: If you're actually as sick as you say you are why are you bothering to put it to a public vote as to whether or not you should call in sick?

Surely if one is genuinely sick its a no brainer and doesn't require the input of forumisers.

Good to hear I have you laughing - so answer me this then: If you're actually as sick as you say you are why are you bothering to put it to a public vote as to whether or not you should call in sick?

Surely if one is genuinely sick its a no brainer and doesn't require the input of forumisers.

I've never called in sick before and I'm not really aware of what criteria one applies to it. I can get out of bed and keep food down, does that mean I'm well enough to go to work? Are you only supposed to call in sick when you're on deaths door? By asking here, I got opinions from a broad range of people as to what the correct mode of action is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

I've never called in sick before and I'm not really aware of what criteria one applies to it. I can get out of bed and keep food down, does that mean I'm well enough to go to work? Are you only supposed to call in sick when you're on deaths door? By asking here, I got opinions from a broad range of people as to what the correct mode of action is.

For future reference if you feel sick you are sick

I find its a simple rule to live by

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

So what are you doing?

Generally as a rule I ask myself what I might be doing at home should I decide to take the day off.

In your case you might be getting down to work on presentation which is probably worse for your ailing health than it would have been to get out of bed and go to work making sambos.

IMHO I think if you're well enough to do a presentation then you're well enough to go to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The criteria is if you don't want to go to work for whatever reason you have a sick day. You get a certain amount a year make the most of them.

Generally as a rule I ask myself what I might be doing at home should I decide to take the day off.

In your case you might be getting down to work on presentation which is probably worse for your ailing health than it would have been to get out of bed and go to work making sambos.

IMHO I think if you're well enough to do a presentation then you're well enough to go to work.

Was it my constant posting on boards that alerted you to the hard work I'm currently doing on my presentation? For the record, it's finished and I just need to practise it. And really, a 10 minute presentation doesn't really compare with 6 hours of standing and heavy lifting and being friendly, all the while standing beside an open door in Scotland in the middle of winter. And FINALLY, I'm still in bed, wrapped up with a cup of tea, a pint of Vitamin C, a pack of Strepsils and some Ibuprofen.

I'm not sure what your agenda is here, Tim, but you're not doing very well in your attempt to outwit me...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

You people have it all wrong, you go to work when you are sick and call in sick when you want to do something better.

• Advertisement

Was it my constant posting on boards that alerted you to the hard work I'm currently doing on my presentation? For the record, it's finished and I just need to practise it. And really, a 10 minute presentation doesn't really compare with 6 hours of standing and heavy lifting and being friendly, all the while standing beside an open door in Scotland in the middle of winter. And FINALLY, I'm still in bed, wrapped up with a cup of tea, a pint of Vitamin C, a pack of Strepsils and some Ibuprofen.

I'm not sure what your agenda is here, Tim, but you're not doing very well in your attempt to outwit me...

Well you never said you were only practising it! And you also never stated it was finished when you came to us with your terrible dilemma - saying 'for the record' doesn't change the fact that you never said it in the first place. So in effect this changes everything...

What you should have said in your original post was...

"I'm clearly too sick to go to work today - maybe I'll use the time to practice my presentation.

Discuss."

Well you never said you were only practising it! And you also never stated it was finished when you came to us with your terrible dilemma - saying 'for the record' doesn't change the fact that you never said it in the first place. So in effect this changes everything...

What you should have said in your original post was...

"I'm clearly too sick to go to work today - maybe I'll use the time to practice my presentation.

Discuss."

Nor did I say "I've a whole presentation to do from the start". I simply said I could do with working on it, which you interpreted your own special way to try and make me look bad. Seeing as your interpretation was completely false, all of your arguments are now null and void.

Also, I mentioned the presentation in passing, it was no way the centre point of my original post. I don't know why you're focussing on it.

Nor did I say "I've a whole presentation to do from the start". I simply said I could do with working on it, which you interpreted your own special way to try and make me look bad. Seeing as your interpretation was completely false, all of your arguments are now null and void.

Also, I mentioned the presentation in passing, it was no way the centre point of my original post. I don't know why you're focussing on it.

You're dead right there. You didn't say any of these things but I guess it comes down to interpretation - But I do think it's unfair to suggest that I've interpreted your comments in my 'own special way'. By saying this are you suggesting that I'm in some way 'special'? Is this your official position as a moderator on a public forum? Anyone who challenges what you're saying is automatically wrong/stupid? Maybe you could clarify?

The thing is, the presentation is pivitol to the whole set of dramatics you put forward. It was written in such a way that a person might get the impression that you were skiving off work to do a presentation...

We can clearly see now that this is not the case. You were in fact sick and completely entitled to take a day off from making sambos.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Where is the " I don't care" option on the poll?

You're dead right there. You didn't say any of these things but I guess it comes down to interpretation - But I do think it's unfair to suggest that I've interpreted your comments in my 'own special way'. By saying this are you suggesting that I'm in some way 'special'? Is this your official position as a moderator on a public forum? Anyone who challenges what you're saying is automatically wrong/stupid? Maybe you could clarify?

No, I was being condescending.

By the by, I'm not a moderator of After Hours.

No, I was being condescending.

By the by, I'm not a moderator of After Hours.

Nice work.

Can't wait for tomorrow's question...no doubt it will be somewhere along these lines...

"Should I take an apple to eat with my lunch or an orange?"

• Registered Users Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Is this your official position as a moderator on a public forum?

Point to note: this is not a public forum. It is privately owned. Sure the general public can wander in and amuse themselves, but it's still a private club.

Advertisement