Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shocking stupidity

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

What annoys me the most is people making up their own english, messing up every single word and not knowing how to use punctuation.
    Personally I've always been particular about my grammar as it does reflect on your overall intelligence imo, but not knowing what a verb is... My god, is there no hope for some people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

What I find hilarious, is the fact that I got a B in higher level English in the leaving cert, while having a really limited and basic understanding of this stuff.
    Apparently the paper's are still corrected fully, even with the on spread of text sp4ak in exams.
    I honestly don't care either just to add :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Naikon wrote: »
    What I find hilarious, is the fact that I got a B in higher level English in the leaving cert, while having a really limited and basic understanding of this stuff.
    Apparently the paper's are still corrected fully, even with the on spread of text sp4ak in exams.
    I honestly don't care either just to add :-/

Yes, but the percentage of marks given for mechanics is only 10%. If more marks were given for mechanics then a lot of people would not do as well. The English course is much more about teaching people to critically assess texts and to put forward their arguments in an organised manner. This is far more important in life than mechanics, and I think that those who need to be able to use correct punctuation and grammar will do so. (Or at least I hope so.)

Of course the papers are corrected fully. The only time a corrector does not fully correct a paper is when the student answers on something that is not on the course/paper. You can't just give someone 0% for mechanics if they use some textspeak. There is always going to be something deserving of marks.

My English methodology lecturer told us that while grammar, etc, is important, the way a student expresses him/herself is far more important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Yes, but the percentage of marks given for mechanics is only 10%. If more marks were given for mechanics then a lot of people would not do as well. The English course is much more about teaching people to critically assess texts and to put forward their arguments in an organised manner. This is far more important in life than mechanics, and I think that those who need to be able to use correct punctuation and grammar will do so. (Or at least I hope so.)

Of course the papers are corrected fully. The only time a corrector does not fully correct a paper is when the student answers on something that is not on the course/paper. You can't just give someone 0% for mechanics if they use some textspeak. There is always going to be something deserving of marks.

My English methodology lecturer told us that while grammar, etc, is important, the way a student expresses him/herself is far more important.

Fair enough I guess, It's not like Mechanics matter too much in the short space of three hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Snarler

What annoys me the most is people making up their own english, messing up every single word and not knowing how to use punctuation.
    Punctuation is for gays and copy writers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

which are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Naikon wrote: »
    Fair enough I guess, It's not like Mechanics matter too much in the short space of three hours.

Exactly. It's all about the argument, the structure, etc. Everyone, even an A1 student, will make mistakes.

And you are never asked to pick out the verb in the sentence! (Although you are in French, and probably other languages! But that's because our grasp of such languages is not meant to be as good as our grasp of English.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

tech77 wrote: »
    No crazy moment.
    She said she had forgotten all about verbs from school..

I'll admit that I thought twice about labelling this as stupidity and thought to myself could it be excused as miseducation or whatever.
    But no you'd have to not have gone to school at all to not know what a verb is.

She was in her 20's (not her 60's) and she didn't look like a skanger/scumbag or anything so i'd say so she must have gotten some kind of education.

And nobody seemed overly embarrassed on the show when she didn't know it.

I'm not talking even about knowing the difference between emigrating/immigrating as somebody mentioned above. That's fair enough.
    I'm talking about real fcuking basics here.

And excusing it is worse.

This wasnt a fair examination of the womans literal abilities. It is very unnerving being on Tv. The only difference between a clever ten year old and an adult would be that clever ten year olds love attention and so wouldnt be nervous.

If tech77 wants to label or reason the woman stupid in his brains cerebral hemisphere or consider her defectively educated in his olfactory bulb he has overlooked the obvious when receiving information through his occipital visual cortex.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Snarler wrote: »
    Punctuation is for gays and copy writers.

ywudusaydat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Demonique

humbert wrote: »
    On a similar note, I heard them announcing that some halfwit was eliminated from X Factor on the fucking news earlier. Things can't always have been this bad. Stupidity must be becoming more acceptable. :(

Eh, the reason they announced that the halfwit had been eliminated was because she was eliminated because she was involved in a happy-slapping incident and was caught attacking a girl on a mobile phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Demonique wrote: »
    Eh, the reason they announced that the halfwit had been eliminated was because she was eliminated because she was involved in a happy-slapping incident and was caught attacking a girl on a mobile phone.

I suppose that isn't as bad as I thought. It's still not nearly news worthy IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

humbert wrote: »
    I suppose that isn't as bad as I thought. It's still not nearly news worthy IMO.
    The happy slapper had her 5 minutes of fame ,but others have done worse and risen to fame .Look at that Leslie Grantham who played dirty den in the soap Eastenders , he murdered a guy in germany back in the 60s, didn't do his acting cv any harm ...it was sending naughty texts on the pc that did .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭angelsfire

I saw the show as well that night and all of the guests on the show were idiots!! That fat guy that was on first had to go home after the first question, and then that woman who didn't know what a verb was came on. I mean cripes, I have been out of school for quite some time, as in more than 20 years and I still know what a verb is.

The only reason I feel she didn't do well is some people just freeze up for exams or tests, or anything where it is stressful. You never know how you will feel or if your mind goes blank up there on stage. I can tell you this tho, I know without a doubt that my mind would go totally blank if I was in front of an audience and being asked questions. So on one hand I understand, on another she looked like a total idiot on the show, hence the reason I would never make an appearance!!

~ANGEL~

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Snarler wrote: »
    Sure I barely know myself and I'm far from stupid.

I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you there, given that you think alcohol doesn't affect your ability to drive in any way, as you don't agree with any study which says it does...
    Snarler said: I do not agree with that study so it doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,925 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Not all intellectuals are as adept at English literacy as a minority of us appear to be. Maybe shes wicked awesome at astronomy or something :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Overheal wrote: »
    Not all intellectuals are as adept at English literacy as a minority of us appear to be. Maybe shes wicked awesome at astronomy or something :)
    Pete Waterman of Stock Atkin and Waterman fame confessed on a tv show a few weeks ago that until recently he could not read or write.This did not stop him from producing many hit records

(i aint kidding )

Advertisement