Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shocking stupidity

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,912 ✭✭✭✭walshb

tech77 wrote: »
    Who's confusing stupidity with ignorance? :confused:
    Just because i have them separated with a slash doesn't mean they're synonymous.
    I even alluded to the distinction between stupidity and ignorance in 2 previous posts.
    I said that this woman was ignorant (because ignorant basically means "not knowing") but i also felt this amounted to more than mere ignorance (ie stupidity or lack of intelligence because of the intrinsic link between linguistics and intelligence).

OK see point 7 under grammar here if you don't believe me about this.
    Basically, a comma is only used to set off quoted material that is the grammatical object of an active verb of speaking or writing (said, replied etc and not "was" as you have written).

You post on boards a grammar query and yet you yourself make one of, if not the most basic grammatical errors that can be made. Never never is a small or lower case (i) to be used in a sentence, unless of course the (i) is a letter in a word. Nor is a lower case (i) to be used in (I'm) or (I'd)
    Sorry, I couldn't resist pulling you up on that one....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

...I said that this woman was ignorant (because ignorant basically means "not knowing") but i also felt this amounted to more than mere ignorance (ie stupidity or lack of intelligence because of the intrinsic link between linguistics and intelligence).

So, not knowing linguistic terminology is a clear indication of stupidity because there is an intrinsic link between linguistics and intelligence.

Maybe your assumption is wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Some stupid iggnorent people hold down jobs of high importance ,look at George bush for example ....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

It is true that the general population, is getting dumber[intentional pun here].

I think the british, mainly, but Ireland is starting to suffer aswell. I read somewhere a few days ago that a polish immigrant went back to Poland when he/she discovered the poor level of education in Britain.

I also, remember seeing on "Have I Got News for You", that they have started to dumb down shakespeare in British schools because Kids were having problems understanding it. One of the headlines(not sure whether it was real or not) said, "Im not fick, I just don't get this, yeah".

Another example of stupidity that I have encountered, was a boy who knocked on the door, asking to be sponsored for some gaa thing. All I had on me at the time was a euro, which I offered him, but he pointed at the card which had a 2 euro printed on the corner, and said it had to be a 2 euro! Needless to say he didnt get it.

What is happening to this part of the world. I wrote a thread a few weeks ago about the decline of Toy Shops. Could there be a link between kids not developing problem solving abilities through playing with toys, and the population getting thicker?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Artos

How are you supposed to play mad libs without knowing what a verb is? Without mad libs, what are you supposed to do on a friday night?:)

• Advertisement

syklops wrote: »
    It is true that the general population, is getting dumber[intentional pun here].

I think the british, mainly, but Ireland is starting to suffer aswell. I read somewhere a few days ago that a polish immigrant went back to Poland when he/she discovered the poor level of education in Britain.

I also, remember seeing on "Have I Got News for You", that they have started to dumb down shakespeare in British schools because Kids were having problems understanding it. One of the headlines(not sure whether it was real or not) said, "Im not fick, I just don't get this, yeah".

Another example of stupidity that I have encountered, was a boy who knocked on the door, asking to be sponsored for some gaa thing. All I had on me at the time was a euro, which I offered him, but he pointed at the card which had a 2 euro printed on the corner, and said it had to be a 2 euro! Needless to say he didnt get it.

What is happening to this part of the world. I wrote a thread a few weeks ago about the decline of Toy Shops. Could there be a link between kids not developing problem solving abilities through playing with toys, and the population getting thicker?

I wouldn't agree that Britain is mainly suffering.
    I think society has changed so much and
    people don't seem to consider Shakespeare all that
    important anymore, and to be honest, who can blame
    them.

The British for centuries have set the standards and
    a lot of the worlds educational systems are based
    on the British model, or models.

I think general literacy in Ireland is very poor.

You only have to visit sites like boards.ie to realise this...

That's no offence to boards by the way....

With the advent of shorthand and texting and
    all that, it's only natural that literacy will suffer..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Snarler

It is true that the general population, is getting dumber
    Are you sure about this? I think people are just as intelligent as always if not more. its just that the way we apply our intelligence now has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

syklops wrote: »
    Nah. It's the fault of reality tv and the idiots the allow appear on it.

You then have a generation of kids growing up and wanting to be like Jade Goody (a woman who became a millionaire through exploiting her stupidity).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

walshb wrote: »
    You post on boards a grammar query and yet you yourself make one of, if not the most basic grammatical errors that can be made. Never never is a small or lower case (i) to be used in a sentence, unless of course the (i) is a letter in a word. Nor is a lower case (i) to be used in (I'm) or (I'd)
    Sorry, I couldn't resist pulling you up on that one....

FFS.
    See here and here
    Informal internet post: Not concerned about capitalisation and punctuation.
    Formal writing: Concerned about them.
    So, not knowing linguistic terminology is a clear indication of stupidity because there is an intrinsic link between linguistics and intelligence.

Maybe your assumption is wrong?

Having some idea of how to group words grammatically is related to intelligence.
    Dunno why but i'd bet she wouldn't have been able to group words grammatically either TBH (so quite possibly stupid).
    If she could well fair enough.
    But if she doesn't even appreciate the meaning of terms like noun, verb etc i wonder would she be able to do such grouping..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Knowing what category a certain word is in is a really bad measure of intelligence. It has no relevance to most people's lives whatsoever! Just another pointless fact you learn in school. I regularly write articles for scientific journals and I have no clue what an adverb or pronoun or predicate is.

• Advertisement

Quote Skylops -I think the british, mainly, but Ireland is starting to suffer aswell. I read somewhere a few days ago that a polish immigrant went back to Poland when he/she discovered the poor level of education in Britain.
    Considering that a vast majority of young poles refer to their country as ' that dump ' and are quite egar to flock to the uk that is somthing else ,quite a lot of poles come to work and improve on their education in Britain and ireland .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Having some idea of how to group words grammatically is related to intelligence.
    If she couldn't string a sentence together I'd agree that she probably was thick but...
    Dunno why but i'd bet she wouldn't have been able to group words grammatically either TBH (so quite possibly stupid).
    If she could well fair enough.
    Maybe what happened is that you jumped to the conclusion that she's stupid because she didn't know her linguistic terminlogy (her "linguistic lingo"?! :D).

You said yourself you don't know why you think that. I reckon it's because your conclusion is built on very shaky ground.

Knowing the internal terminology for something is *completely* different from being able to use that thing correctly and competently.

IMO, this holds true for cars, iPods, English, mobile phones and email.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I spent 12 years of my life in school and six years out since then.

In those 6 years out all that I have retained is a general understanding of how to structure my sentences, moderate spelling and basic math. And the funny thing is that in my future career choices and qualifications those are the only things that I may use. Makes me wonder why I wasted all those years.

I don't blame that lady for not knowing what the verb was. It seems to be a pretty common occurrence. From responses here its obvious that most care little about what was taught in school.

=krazy_8s;54403130]I spent 12 years of my life in school and six years out since then.

In those 6 years out all that I have retained is a general understanding of how to structure my sentences, moderate spelling and basic math. And the funny thing is that in my future career choices and qualifications those are the only things that I may use. Makes me wonder why I wasted all those years.

I would say that applys to quite a lot of people
    I don't blame that lady for not knowing what the verb was. It seems to be a pretty common occurrence. From responses here its obvious that most care little about what was taught in school.
    In my case ,i was educated at the christian bros who's motto semed to be ' crush and break the individual and make him conform ' , which when you think of it is a strange way of teaching kids , but equally i learned more outside school than in it .

One question I have to ask is how many people nowadays can write a letter properly?. Since so much technology has arrived, we as people have forgotten or neglected the basics and opted for the convenience. I am not saying I disagree with it, it's just a fact of life....

E-mail has replaced letter writing ,but the personel letter say's so much more .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

r3nu4l wrote: »
    I do have a problem with the "I is keepin' it real man, I don't have no time for readin' an sh1t!" types.
    Why? They are electing themselves out of well paying jobs, informed decision making, a real career, and most of the good things the future holds, because they are too smart to educate themselves, apparently.

Leaving more space for me and mine.

I have no problem with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

I know i did.
    I said in a previous post that i am not concerned with punctuation, capitalisation etc in my internet posts..
    Doesn't mean i don't know about it.
    I use proper punctuation in formal writing, believe me.

So:
    It's an internet post.
    I'm lazy.
    It's a typo.
    Take your pick.

Also FWIW i also highlighted your own grammatical/punctuation mistakes (which include a misplaced comma before Farrah Fawcett-Majors). ;)
    Man this is ridiculous.
    Wouldn't a colon be better?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

I have done 5 years in university, doing science related subjects. I could give a good shot at explaining what a Hydrogen bond is or how satellites can be used to map localised vegetation changes, but I honestly couldn't say what a verb or adjective is and I honestly couldn't care less. I have not once had to deal with anything like that since I was eight and it hasn't really affected me in any way.

Funnily enough I can read Shakespeare and although I may not be able to point out the verbs (if there are any, I don't know) in "Cowards die many times before their deaths; The valiant never taste of death but once." I feel it does not detract from my appreciation of the piece. I also don't don't think that my ignorance in that regard somehow makes me stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

God, imagine if the woman was from the US :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

wow - "a lot of people don't classify Scotland as a country". Who doesn't classify Scotland as a country? I'm guessing the answer is either (a) dumbasses, or (b) people with the geopolitical knowledge of a moron?
    Quite.

Scotland does not have sovereignty and only has limited power over its own education, transportation and social policies. Its also not externally recognised. There are no Scottish embassies. Only British ones.

I guess you'd be a moron though for thinking Scotland is not a independent country or state but rather a nation of people living in an internal division of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Slow coach wrote: »
    It's neither. The word you're grasping for is 'migrating'. And emigrating has one 'm'.

How do you get past putting on your socks? :D

Hey man, dont turn this thing round on me, I'm supposed to be the intelligent one here

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

I can only vaguely remember being thought about verbs in English in primary school. We did very very little grammar, and i can see how some people might get this wrong as a result. Still, you'd have to be a least a little bit thick not to know what the verb was, but im just saying i can easily see how its possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Not read the 8 pages or so, but I've seen the show a few times and have to say I'm utterly shocked by people coming on with degrees and snazzy job titles who know f*ck all (and worse, seem to delight in that fact)

Have to say I struggle on some of the 6yr old level questions if they're regarding nursery rhymes or that; in fact I'd say as a game strategy, leaving those questions till last is probably best then use lifelines.

Good premise for a quiz show though....just a shame TV execs keep giving Edmonds work :mad:

You learn more common sense intelligence from your parents than you do in university.
    We always had books and newspapers in the house growing up, didn't watch endless hours of mindless TV and my parents always had the news on at 6pm.

I don't think people are getting thicker. Controversial I know, but stupid people breed more, therefore they produce offspring who don't bother in school and aren't expected to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭KIVES

Yea - knew people in University who constantly aced exams but just lacked common sense/all round knowledge...still amazes me to this day how one strand of intelligence and one strand of pure ineptness can cohabit merrily inside the same brain...incidently, the people I've mentioned have all gone on to great jobs(maybe they're not happy though and I wouldn't be dialling any of their numbers in the event I make it on to Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?) - Sounds like sour grapes but it's not really..

KIVES wrote: »
    Yea - knew people in University who constantly aced exams but just lacked common sense/all round knowledge...still amazes me to this day how one strand of intelligence and one strand of pure ineptness can cohabit merrily inside the same brain...incidently, the people I've mentioned have all gone on to great jobs(maybe they're not happy though and I wouldn't be dialling any of their numbers in the event I make it on to Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?) - Sounds like sour grapes but it's not really..

So true. You can pull PhDs out of your arse and have not one ounce of common sense.
    I interviewed a guy with more qualifications than you can shake a stick at and he had no social skills whatsoever.
    Education is a fine thing.... in tandem with basic knowledge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 DICK FINGERS

I haven't a degree or any qualifications
    i had to leave school aged 11
    my father died and i had to leave school to help my mother run the farm.

But even so i do know what a verb is.

By the way what station is this show on?

I've only got the four Irish channels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭KIVES

I haven't a degree or any qualifications
    i had to leave school aged 11
    my father died and i had to leave school to help my mother run the farm.

But even so i do know what a verb is.

By the way what station is this show on?

I've only got the four Irish channels
    Man - You should be on RTE 1's 'Would You Believe?' programme...Is there any calamity which hasn't befallen you...'Who Wants To Be A Millionaire' airs on ITV/UTV every couple of months or so,but don't bother getting it - with the way your luck is going,you'd run over the postman in your tractor or fall down the stairs trying to rewire cables and the like...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

KIVES wrote: »
    ..'Who Wants To Be A Millionaire' airs on ITV/UTV every couple of months or so,but don't bother getting it

That's nice.
    But we're talking about a different show on a different channel.

Thanks for playing!

Advertisement