Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shocking stupidity

Options
  • 11-11-2007 8:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭

This follows on a bit from the -5, -6 thread below.

I was just watching "Are you smarter than a ten year old" on sky one with Noel Edmonds.

A contestant, a grown woman was asked what was the verb in this sentence "The man worked really hard" and she couldn't answer it.

I was literally shocked that
    1) an adult could be that stupid
    2) that that adult would then appear on national tv exposing this stupidity.

I'm constantly amazed by depths of ignorance/stupidity and yet these people it would seem function perfectly normally in society.

I'm thinking to myself maybe dumb IS the new world order and the way to go.

Incidentally that show is annoying in so many ways I don't know where to start...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Yeah, clearly the verb is "The"! How could anyone be so stupid! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Who the fúck cares what a verb is? I don't even remember learning about verbs in school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

yeah. i hate this culture that exists that seems to almost celebrate and revel in the stupidity that's prevalent in society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Its german for kerbs.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gerTheGreat

Maybe she just had a crazy moment where her mind went blank. Or maybe she was illiterate? Not necessarily stupid. Did she mess up any other questions?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Outer Bongolia

I find it shocking that in these days and age the peoples seem to becoming more stupider and doesn't be ables to remember the basic level of education that can be teached at schools and colleges

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Who the fúck cares what a verb is? I don't even remember learning about verbs in school.

That reply reinforces what tech said. How you people manage to get dressed in the morning, Ill never know. I suggest immigrating to America (or is that emmigrating)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Snarler

Exactly. Its probably 50 years since that woman learned what a verb was in school. Sure I barely know myself and I'm far from stupid.

you sure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Snarler

jimbo78 wrote: »
    you sure?

Jimbo I am very sure. If there were a classification above first class honour then I would have gotten it. Thats what we're dealing with here.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I find it shocking that in these days and age the peoples seem to becoming more stupider and doesn't be ables to remember the basic level of education that can be teached at schools and colleges
    I'm assuming you're being sarcastic? If not you may want to go back to school yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

jimbo78 wrote: »
    you sure?

If you can't spot the verb you've got serious literacy issues. If that doesn't bother you then the you're setting the bar very low.

On a similar note, I heard them announcing that some halfwit was eliminated from X Factor on the fucking news earlier. Things can't always have been this bad. Stupidity must be becoming more acceptable. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

tech77 wrote: »

I was just watching "Are you smarter than a ten year old" on sky one with Noel Edmonds.

A contestant, a grown woman was asked what was the verb in this sentence "The man worked really hard" and she couldn't answer it.

I'm constantly amazed by depths of ignorance/stupidity and yet these people it would seem function perfectly normally in society.

Incidentally that show is annoying in so many ways I don't know where to start...

While id have got it as i was good at English, i would reckon alot of people would struggle, if English wasnt their thing. For instance I hated maths- if they had asked me on the show to identify the primary numbers, or magic numbers, primary colours, or whatever else they taught us, id be on my arse. Your average 10 year old will know it because they spend 5 days a week learning about verbs and adjectives, while personally this is the first time Ive seen a question about ID`ing a verb since I left school.

Snarler wrote: »
    Exactly. Its probably 50 years since that woman learned what a verb was in school. Sure I barely know myself and I'm far from stupid.
    Snarler wrote: »
    Jimbo I am very sure. If there were a classification above first class honour then I would have gotten it. Thats what we're dealing with here.

Thats pretty impressive. Im sorry for ever doubting your obvious superior intelligence. Come to think of it Im sure Einstein himself didn't know simple english terms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

tech77 wrote: »

It should be called "are you better educated than a ten year old?"

Apart from that, wtf would you, a smart person, watch it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Jeebus

I find it more annoying that we live in a society where we value completely pointless stuff like knowing what verbs are, and judge people accordingly, vis a vis the leaving Cert.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i find it annoying that people consider language completely pointless....

Jeebus wrote: »
    I find it more annoying that we live in a society where we value completely pointless stuff like knowing what verbs are, and judge people accordingly, vis a vis the leaving Cert.

The Leaving Cert. is a poor way of teaching and examining stuff that is anything but pointless(referring to the core subjects, C.P.S.E. can rot in hell).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Maybe she just had a crazy moment where her mind went blank. Or maybe she was illiterate? Not necessarily stupid. Did she mess up any other questions?

No crazy moment.
    She said she had forgotten all about verbs from school..

I'll admit that I thought twice about labelling this as stupidity and thought to myself could it be excused as miseducation or whatever.
    But no you'd have to not have gone to school at all to not know what a verb is.

She was in her 20's (not her 60's) and she didn't look like a skanger/scumbag or anything so i'd say so she must have gotten some kind of education.

And nobody seemed overly embarrassed on the show when she didn't know it.

I'm not talking even about knowing the difference between emigrating/immigrating as somebody mentioned above. That's fair enough.
    I'm talking about real fcuking basics here.

And excusing it is worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

The English education system is sh1t simple anyway, minimum standards are lower. Why do you think there are so many Irish uni students in the UK, yet im not sure ive ever met a Brit in our college system? I dont know what your standard of Irish is, but if it is poor an Irish speaker could say that it was laughable you could barely speak it having studied it for 12 years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I learned about it. I dont remember it. Why? Its not something I take note of in everyday life.. as in "What was the verb? Oh I wonder.."

Its been YEARS since I did stuff like that. And I enjoyed English.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

They have got to put stupid people on the show though, since the average person is going to be smarter that a 10-year old.
    Absolutely shameful that she didn't know what a verb is /sigh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

No crazy moment.
    She said she had forgotten all about verbs from school..

I'll admit that I thought twice about labelling this as stupidity and thought to myself could it be excused as miseducation or whatever.
    But no you'd have to not have gone to school at all to not know what a verb is.

She was in her 20's (not her 60's) and she didn't look like a skanger/scumbag or anything so i'd say so she must have gotten some kind of education.

And nobody seemed overly embarrassed on the show when she didn't know it.

I'm not talking even about knowing the difference between emigrating/immigrating as somebody mentioned above. That's fair enough.
    I'm talking about real fcuking basics here.

And excusing it is worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Outer Bongolia

I'm assuming you're being sarcastic? If not you may want to go back to school yourself.

Honestly now, what do you think?
    Sheesh.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Is there anything practical to be gained from knowing what a verb is?

Aside from sh1t gameshows and being able to point them out for the purpose of suggesting other people are stupid?

Aside from the above, does it have any use generally, or for the majority of us?

Maybe it's just a UK thing. I was always lead to believe that our education system was pretty good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

Well on the next question she was asked how many countries make up britain and she said one!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I think that show is freaking hilarious. I think that a lot of the people start to doubt themselves because the questions seem so simple and they are scared of getting them wrong.

One woman had to pick out an adverb from a sentence and said, 'The verb is walking so the adverb must be......walking.' I don't think she was stupid, I think she confused herself. She then went on to win 100,000 pounds. She would have won the 250,000 but she didn't want to take the risk. Turns out she knew the answer. And she hadn't even done her GCSEs.

Still think it's bloody hilarious. But then, I like when people get humiliated on national television.

What I find worse is that they think that TV's most embarrassing confession is 'I am not smarter than a ten year old.' I can think of a few confessions that would be slightly more embarrassing.

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Aside from the above, does it have any use generally, or for the majority of us?

Well it's practical to be able to describe the language we use every day. In much the same way that it's useful to know what a comma, period, question mark, adverb or adjective is.

Tbh, from knowing and dating people from other countries, I've been embarrassed at how comparatively little I knew about grammar and syntax.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Is there anything practical to be gained from knowing what a verb is?
    It helps if you want to learn additional languages.
    I found learning German difficult because I really hadn't a clue what the teacher was talking about when she de-constructed German sentences... the accusative dative, possessive past participle... what's that shít all about eh?
    Then again, they assign gender to inanimate objects... they're a crazy bunch altogether Ted.

I know what you mean though... a lot of what you learned in school is 'use it or lose it' trivia in terms of putting food on the table and a roof over your head.

Advertisement