Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Force - (See Moderator note in first post #1)

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

An excellent letter

Field Sales Manager at MUNDIPHARMA PHARMACEUTICALS LTD, IRELAND
    DRINANE,
    BALLYGAR,
    CO GALWAY.
    06TH MARCH, 2012.

RE : GARDA RESERVE.

Dear Minister,
    To impose a programme without proper consultation is always going to be contentious but to impose a programme without consultation, proper strategy and associated training is a recipe for disaster. Hence, the concept of the Garda Reserve was borne. One can only conclude this was a “political stroke” rather than an initiative for the good of the community.
    I joined the Garda Reserve in 2007 in hope and belief that I would make a small difference to the benefit of the community in Roscommon Town and surrounds. My expectation of training and brief of role was of the highest standard commensurate with the idealism of An Garda Siochana but sadly turned out to be one of great disappointment. Definition of same was unclear and frustrating. Full time ...colleagues were bereft of knowledge of what our role and powers were supposed to be, leading to further frustration and feeling a responsibility to “protect and babysit” us in a most challenging environment. I had good fortune when one particular Sergeant not detailed to do so, took charge of me to tutor me in best practice for which I am grateful., while the rest of the Unit did their best to accommodate me. The epitome of the inadequacy of the thought process of the role of the Garda Reserve is clearly defined by the fact that we had the power to sign and authorize the most fundamentally important and legal personal document a citizen of the state can possess, that of the Passport, while being unable to sign something as mundane as a parking or speeding ticket. I fail to understand the logic of the legislators in this regard.
    There also appears to be a complete disconnect between the ordinary members of the force and senior management based in the Phoenix Park. It has taken an inordinate amount of time for the Park to accept and authorize my resignation. Despite me having undergone lifesaving surgery , evidence needed to be produced , with a request to visit the Garda Surgeon to probably validate same. I pointed out that I was a volunteer.
    Finally, I would like to acknowledge the great work of the undervalued ordinary members of the force in an ever changing, challenging environment to ensure the citizens of this state can live in peace and feel well protected. I can only hope “I did the State some service”.

Peter Daly, ex Garda Reserve, R80241G.

Cc The Garda Commissioner.
    Cc The Irish Times.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭trail man

well guys..Its food for thought..
    The role of reserve garda is a half baked cake..
    as a reserve myself for 4yrs its as the song goes its on the road to nowhere..
    But sure it passes the time...
    will it be improved and moved on ...ONLY time will tell...

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭bluetop

trail man wrote: »
    well guys..Its food for thought..
    The role of reserve garda is a half baked cake..
    as a reserve myself for 4yrs its as the song goes its on the road to nowhere..
    But sure it passes the time...
    will it be improved and moved on ...ONLY time will tell...

If you are only in it for passing the time, "you should not be in it then", its not a game!, is it any wonder people think the reserves are a joke with a post like that..

What a post "but sure it passes the time" wonderful description all right !!

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭smiley963

Has anybody heard of anyone getting through the process in two and half months and then getting there date for training. So everything is completed and they start training now in may is it possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 GRHopefull

Hi,

I'm in the reserves for past few months and my first expericences/impressions were all very good and I really felt I was making some contribution, until recently.

I got a phone call from Sgt. (in charge) few weeks back asking me if I was avaiable to work during the weekend..... As I was very happy with my initial contributions I jumped at the chance to help out again.

The thing is, I arrived into the station during the weekend and the Sgt. in charge of the unit wasn't happy to see me, he wasn't aware I was even called to come into the unit to assist. - As it turned out, I was left sitting by myself for hours before they found anything for me to do........ talk about feeling like a tool and being useless.... 1st bad experience for me, won't forget it for some time. As I felt I had annoyed the Sgt. I was even to concerned to mention that I should leave and come back when I was actually needed....

I assume this was a breakdown of internal communications but my God I really felt like I didn't belong.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭blueforce

GRHopefull wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm in the reserves for past few months and my first expericences/impressions were all very good and I really felt I was making some contribution, until recently.

I got a phone call from Sgt. (in charge) few weeks back asking me if I was avaiable to work during the weekend..... As I was very happy with my initial contributions I jumped at the chance to help out again.

The thing is, I arrived into the station during the weekend and the Sgt. in charge of the unit wasn't happy to see me, he wasn't aware I was even called to come into the unit to assist. - As it turned out, I was left sitting by myself for hours before they found anything for me to do........ talk about feeling like a tool and being useless.... 1st bad experience for me, won't forget it for some time. As I felt I had annoyed the Sgt. I was even to concerned to mention that I should leave and come back when I was actually needed....

I assume this was a breakdown of internal communications but my God I really felt like I didn't belong.....

Hi GRHopefull,
    Are you stationed in a big city centre station with 30+ on a unit or a more rural station with maybe only 6 on a unit? I'm only asking because I'm stationed in a smaller station and they can always do with the extra body. From what I've heard about the bigger city stations have so much going on that the sergeant at the time might have been under some pressure. I wouldnt blame yourself, he might be the exact same with a full time member, and in that situation they can go off and do paperwork, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 GRHopefull

blueforce wrote: »
    Hi GRHopefull,
    Are you stationed in a big city centre station with 30+ on a unit or a more rural station with maybe only 6 on a unit? I'm only asking because I'm stationed in a smaller station and they can always do with the extra body. From what I've heard about the bigger city stations have so much going on that the sergeant at the time might have been under some pressure. I wouldnt blame yourself, he might be the exact same with a full time member, and in that situation they can go off and do paperwork, etc.

Hi Blueforce,

I would love to say I'm in a big city station and this is why I was left sitting on my own for hours but the reality is, I'm in a country station.

I'm putting it down to the Sgt. being under pressure and I just happened to be the person who got it between the eyes...... (No intended offense).

One bad experience isn't going to stop me from going back and helping out were best I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 gerryboy911

Hey,

any current GR members know what the story is with the portfolio they give ye in phase 4? ive been attested nearly a year now, havnt done anything for it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 gerryboy911

Hey,

any current GR members know what the story is with the portfolio they give ye in phase 4? ive been attested nearly a year now, havnt done anything for it!!

Hi,

I am sure that among the GR as a whole you are not the first member to have recieved such treatment and you will not be the last. It is a difficult situation , you have three options,
    1. Put up with it and hope that your Sgt changes his attitude and approach. This can be influenced by your committment to your duties.
    2. Put in a complaint about the behaviour
    3. Change to a unit which is managed by a Sgt who has a better attitude to his reserve colleagues.

It is a fact of life , you will come across members who has a very low opinion of the Reserve and will make things difficult for you and then you will come across those who are positive and will help you in anyway they can. Thankfully they are in the majority. In my experience those that have a problem with the Reserve , well that is their problem and not yours. Dont let others effect and influence your behaviour , commitment and dedication.

Good luck for the future and remember very soon there will be 1300 attested Garda Reserves and we are paving the way for future generations of reserves who will serve their community dilengently and a high percentage of those reserves will go on to become full time members and in time Garda Sgts (A thought to ponder)

• Advertisement

Hi,

I am sure that among the GR as a whole you are not the first member to have recieved such treatment and you will not be the last. It is a difficult situation , you have three options,
    1. Put up with it and hope that your Sgt changes his attitude and approach. This can be influenced by your committment to your duties.
    2. Put in a complaint about the behaviour
    3. Change to a unit which is managed by a Sgt who has a better attitude to his reserve colleagues.

It is a fact of life , you will come across members who has a very low opinion of the Reserve and will make things difficult for you and then you will come across those who are positive and will help you in anyway they can. Thankfully they are in the majority. In my experience those that have a problem with the Reserve , well that is their problem and not yours. Dont let others effect and influence your behaviour , commitment and dedication.

Good luck for the future and remember very soon there will be 1300 attested Garda Reserves and we are paving the way for future generations of reserves who will serve their community dilengently and a high percentage of those reserves will go on to become full time members and in time Garda Sgts (A thought to ponder)

Raider190 wrote: »

Tuesday, 13 March 2012 Deputy Michael Moynihan Information on Michael Moynihan asked the Minister for Justice and Equality Information on the number of members of the public that have joined the Garda Reserve since March 2011. [13910/12] Minister for Justice and Equality (Deputy Alan Shatter): I have been informed by the Garda authorities that on the 31 March 2011 there were 766 Reserve Gardaí, and as of the 29 February, 2012 the latest date for which figures are readily available, the strength of the Garda Reserve was 935.

bluetop wrote: »
    Tuesday, 13 March 2012 Deputy Michael Moynihan Information on Michael Moynihan asked the Minister for Justice and Equality Information on the number of members of the public that have joined the Garda Reserve since March 2011. [13910/12] Minister for Justice and Equality (Deputy Alan Shatter): I have been informed by the Garda authorities that on the 31 March 2011 there were 766 Reserve Gardaí, and as of the 29 February, 2012 the latest date for which figures are readily available, the strength of the Garda Reserve was 935.

There is no doubt that the drive to move the numbers to 10% of the regular force is very much in the minds of senior management. The college is currently training the last intake and they have just finished their two weeks course so now moving to Phase 4 so withing the next 6 months there will be another 160 attested GR members.
    With the possibilty of increased powers and increased numbers in the GR it promises to be a very interesting 12 months for us all. So for all you hard working GR's keep the faith and do the best you can and dont let anyone grind you down..

• Registered Users Posts: 19 blake101

Hello Everybody.

I applied in sept 11, did the interview in dec 11 and submitted my BR form shortly afterwards.

I rang HQ to check what the situation was and was told Id be called 'sooner rather then later'. I was then told about the new two week training schedule I commented that at least it'll speed things along to which he responded 'It will for you'...cryptic??...Does this mean that A. Their going through the applications faster for everyone so they can meet their targets and B. That there close to achieving this and I could be in one of the last batches?? Reading too much into it???

Whats the average age of a reservist?? Im 29. Average??

Lastly. (and this is a stupid question!) I read on another thread that the reserve get ID/badges similar to the full timers?? True???

The Inspectorate recommends a review of the operation of the Garda Reserve for the purpose of better defining its role taking into account practical experience of its first three years in existence.

A

A Working Group chaired by Chief Superintendent HRM and including the Superintendent with responsibility for the Garda Reserve was established to review the operation of the Reserve.

The recommendations of the Group’s report entitled “Review of the Garda Reserve”, with the exception of one recommendation, regarding Reserve Members access to PULSE, has been approved by the Commissioner and will be implemented.

Implemented

Assistant Commissioner Human Resource Management

Wonder when we will hear of any new changes recommended within the above report ?

The Inspectorate recommends a review of the operation of the Garda Reserve for the purpose of better defining its role taking into account practical experience of its first three years in existence.
    A

A Working Group chaired by Chief Superintendent HRM and including the Superintendent with responsibility for the Garda Reserve was established to review the operation of the Reserve.

The recommendations of the Group’s report entitled “Review of the Garda Reserve”, with the exception of one recommendation, regarding Reserve Members access to PULSE, has been approved by the Commissioner and will be implemented.
    Implemented

Assistant Commissioner Human Resource Management

Wonder when we will hear of any new changes recommended within the above report ?

Try the 12th of never, its also nonsensical not to have the access to pulse, should the reserve be on radio duties they cant give the info required to the person requesting it, which could be seen as a health and safety risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

Any link to that review report or is it not in the public domain?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

Any link to that review report or is it not in the public domain?

Not in public domain.

Have recently been speaking to a number of the GR trainnes who have just finished Phase 3 last week and are now heading to Phase 4.

The training sgts have informed them that Public Order powers may be on the way.

So keep the eyes and ears peeled in the next few months

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭blueforce

Have recently been speaking to a number of the GR trainnes who have just finished Phase 3 last week and are now heading to Phase 4.

The training sgts have informed them that Public Order powers may be on the way.

Do reserves think it's a good idea getting public order powers? I'm not trying to start a war here but there are deffinitly 2 sides to it. What happens if you end up being dragged to court by the person you arrested for an assault charge while you were arresting them? Reasonable force is a great thing but can land any guard in bother. We don't have the GRA support so we won't have our legal fees paided if the person decides to take a Civil suit against us. And I doubt the job will back us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

Do reserves think it's a good idea getting public order powers? I'm not trying to start a war here but there are deffinitly 2 sides to it. What happens if you end up being dragged to court by the person you arrested for an assault charge while you were arresting them? Reasonable force is a great thing but can land any guard in bother. We don't have the GRA support so we won't have our legal fees paided if the person decides to take a Civil suit against us. And I doubt the job will back us.

Hopefully it will be done in a way that minimises court time in general through good management planning. Public order is not usually contested so there may not be a need for court appearance.

re being taken to court. As it stands a regular guard will still be with you, even with any new powers. Also how often are guards personally sued? Like most volunteers who put themselves out a civil suit is usually going to be taken against your organisation. You can't get blood from a stone and few volunteers in any organisation have a few tens of thousands to spare to pay the plaintiffs fees and compo, and solicitors know this.

Indeed a reserve will be no more exposed than they are now when assisting a regular member, as they are just as likely to be needing to use force to assist in an arrest as to carry out their own.

Voluntary ambulance services like St John have had volunteers from basic first aiders to emergency consultant level operating without personal liability insurance for years without issue.

There is also public order Fixed Charge and that if used avoids the defendant getting a conviction and means no court date, or the adult caution system.

And unless a reserve is very busy they could easily, without any outside input, arrange to be in court at most 3 times a year for all summonsed offences (excluding appeals and unpaid FCPN).

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Yogi Bear

It's an excellent idea to get more powers. I'm at it 6 years now and still can only assist (don’t get me wrong, I’m happy to do that). We don’t want to do everything, as that is not realistic, but Public Order and FCPS would be enough to keep many reserves going for a long time. It's a step in the right direction. I was on to the reserve office some weeks ago and they said they were amending the FCPS books for reserves.

On getting sued by people you arrest, that could happen at any time when you assist in an arrest, so you don’t need new powers for that. It’s unlikely, if you do everything by the book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭brotherrabbit

Is their a privet domain for reserves. Im a GR my self. Fell uncomfortable speaking in public and I have a question Id like to put to other reserves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Is their a privet domain for reserves. Im a GR my self. Fell uncomfortable speaking in public and I have a question Id like to put to other reserves.

Yeah as far as I know there is give kerry a PM.

If your a GR why not ask your fellow Gr's in your station. At least then you know who you are talking to and can be assure that the advice you are getting is from an experienced and well informed source.

Yogi Bear wrote: »
    It's an excellent idea to get more powers. I'm at it 6 years now and still can only assist (don’t get me wrong, I’m happy to do that). We don’t want to do everything, as that is not realistic, but Public Order and FCPS would be enough to keep many reserves going for a long time. It's a step in the right direction. I was on to the reserve office some weeks ago and they said they were amending the FCPS books for reserves.

On getting sued by people you arrest, that could happen at any time when you assist in an arrest, so you don’t need new powers for that. It’s unlikely, if you do everything by the book.

No doubt about it, Public Order Powers would be the next evolutionary step for the GR and I have no doubt it will not be long before they are given to the Reserve. It would centainly make us more productive and effective if the powers are used wisely.

Remember general policing is 99% common sense and 1% law. Just because you have PO powers doesnt mean you have to use them. All part of the discretionary powers ethos which is spoken about so much when you are in the college.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Delta Alpha

Do we not already have cetain powers under the public order act :

under the Public Order Act – dealing with the offences of intoxication,
    threatening behaviour, disorderly conduct and failure to comply with the
    direction of a member of An Garda Síochána; an

What other powers are ye thinking should be given to us?

Do we not already have cetain powers under the public order act :

under the Public Order Act – dealing with the offences of intoxication,
    direction of a member of An Garda Síochána; an

What other powers are ye thinking should be given to us?

Go easy on him lads , he is ,after all new to the forum

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Delta Alpha

got this from the GR booklet :

POLICING POWERS
    The powers of Reserve members will generally be confined, at first instance,
    to the following areas of duty:
    1. under the Road Traffic Acts - demanding driving licences and insurance
    details, enforcing the wearing of seat belts etc;
    2. under the Public Order Act – dealing with the offences of intoxication,
    direction of a member of An Garda Síochána; and
    3. under the Criminal Justice (Theft and Fraud Offences) Act –
    dealing with the offences of theft and burglary.
    4. Reserve members would also be given the power of arrest under
    the Criminal Law Act 1997, which provides powers of arrest for
    both members of the Garda Síochána and civilians.

Am i missing something? I was under the illusion there was a power under sec 8 of the P.O 1994; 'I am demanding you to leave in a peaceful.....etc.

• Advertisement

got this from the GR booklet :

POLICING POWERS
    The powers of Reserve members will generally be confined, at first instance,
    to the following areas of duty:
    1. under the Road Traffic Acts - demanding driving licences and insurance
    details, enforcing the wearing of seat belts etc;
    2. under the Public Order Act – dealing with the offences of intoxication,
    direction of a member of An Garda Síochána; and
    3. under the Criminal Justice (Theft and Fraud Offences) Act –
    dealing with the offences of theft and burglary.
    4. Reserve members would also be given the power of arrest under
    the Criminal Law Act 1997, which provides powers of arrest for
    both members of the Garda Síochána and civilians.

Am i missing something? I was under the illusion there was a power under sec 8 of the P.O 1994; 'I am demanding you to leave in a peaceful.....etc.

Road Traffic Act and Sec 4 Criminal Law

Thats it. No other powers

Advertisement