Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overrated Shows?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

i have band of brothers box set and i have never made it past episode 2 (Seen episode 1 over 10 times and parts of episode 2 2 or 3 times). The alcahol gets too much for me and black books goes on to balence everything out...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The Simpsons really doesn't deserve to be as applauded as it continues to be in some quarters. Don't get me wrong, seasons three to ten or so remain amongst the best cultural produce of all time, just after that it descended into mind numbing averageness - everytime I watch a new episode, it astonishes me that the garbage they are throwing out these days even gets past script stage. It's amazing just how deluded some of the writers are, thinking they are still writing the best TV ever (although I did enjoy the film quite a bit)

Family Guy - it's funny occasionally, but alot of people seem a bit obsessed with what is really just a throwaway comedy.

Friends - enough with the reruns already, you damn dirty apes!

Desperate Housewives / Grey's Anantomy / Ugly Betty - OK, in alot of sensible quarters these two shows get the vocal criticism they deserve, but the fact that they still have MASSIVE fanbases is quite odd. DH in particular is the most overblown piece of nonsense Ive ever seen, while UB seems to be going that way too from the little I see of it. Dreadful shows the three of them.

All British drama - y'know, just to be controversial ;)

Anyone who calls Futurama overrated though deserves a virtual scolding :p

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

Anyone who calls Futurama overrated though deserves a virtual scolding :p

qft

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

The mighty Boosh, It can be smart, but it just aint as funny as some people make it out to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Defo Heroes. So much good word of mouth that I had to check it out. Hated the first ep but watched the 2nd just in case it had had a bad start. Hated that one even more.

Firefly. A mild distraction of a show that starts strong and peters out quickly. The cult following it has is mind boggling.

The Prisoner. David McCallum is excellent to watch but the show itself just pointless dirge from start to "finish".

Family guy. It's just lazy lazy lazy lazy lazy lazy.

Star Trek DS9. Anyone I've ever met who lauds this show usually has a screw lose and either mild levels of a) psychosis or b) anti-social behavior. Either way it's a rubbish show.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

Family Guy, the South Park "Cartoon Wars" episode summed up nicely all that's wrong with it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,276 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Pigman II wrote: »
    The Prisoner. David McCallum is excellent to watch but the show itself just pointless dirge from start to "finish".

Must have seemed a bit pointless if you waited seventeen episodes for The Man from UNCLE to show up ;)

Heroes, Avatar Airbender, The Venture Brothers and anything in space (don't) do it for me. Likewise Little Britain and, to be completely honest, the original Office.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,335 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I'll go with Heroes. Tried to get into it and just couldn't.

Watched an episode of South Park once and said to myself I'll never watch that again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Must have seemed a bit pointless if you waited seventeen episodes for The Man from UNCLE to show up ;)

It's been a long day :) Patrick McGoohan.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Family Guy without a shadow of a doubt

badly written, badly animated and just stupid

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

+1

I don't like Family Guy either. I don't know why people rate King of the Hill or South Park either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭vallo

Heroes - on at the moment, which is why I'm here. Really corny + predictable.

Prison Break - too much smoldering coolness from main guy. Tedious.

24 - lost the plot after season 1.

All 3 of the above would be listed as favourites the co-owner of our TV. Sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Morgans wrote: »
    Scrubs - Lost it quickly after one series.

Fixed that for you.
    The West Wing I did like it, but there were some aspects of it that got right on my tits. Specifically, the whole 'walk-and-talk' technique that Sorkin...... invented, I guess. It's just so unrealistic. The constant chatter, witty & snappy combacks, without even a moment to think. NO ONE TALKS LIKE THAT!

The annoying thing about Sorkin's writing is when he seizes on some interesting but trivial fact and has the characters repeat it ad nauseum.

INT. JOSH'S OFFICE, DAY

CJ and Josh relax after a hard day's work.

CJ: Did you know the president can't eat pancakes on a Tuesday?
    Josh: He can't eat pancakes on a Tuesday?
    CJ: No pancakes on a Tuesday for he.
    Josh: Not one?
    CJ: Not even half of one.
    Josh: You're telling me the President of the United States can't...eat pancakes on a Tuesday?
    CJ: Can't do it.
    Josh: What are we gonna do with all this syrup?

Toby knocks and enters.

Toby: You see Sam's first draft?
    Josh: It's good.
    Toby: It needs work.
    Josh: I'll talk to him. [pause] Did you know the president can't eat pancakes on a Tuesday?
    Toby: He can't eat pancakes on a Tuesday...

Alright Sorkin, we get it! I think he can write great dialogue, some of the best, but I've a funny feeling he only writes 10 minutes per episode and then copy and pastes select pieces for the remaining 35.

Other over-rated shows include Lost; I like it and even think the end of series 3 was the best run of episodes so far but the I don't get the whole, "OMG, did you see Locke tonight? He was wearing a blue shirt! Blue!/i] Do you understand what this means? BLUE!".

Prison Break: I'm still watching it off the back of the first series which was amazing, great, tightly scripted (at least the first three quarters anyway), but it's really gone to the dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,844 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Earthhorse wrote: »
    The annoying thing about Sorkin's writing is when he seizes on some interesting but trivial fact and has the characters repeat it ad nauseum.
    Reminds me of Seinfeld dialogue..

Jerry Seinfeld: So you couldn't date her because she was a tickler.
    George Costanza: A tickler.
    Jerry Seinfeld: And you're not a stickler for a tickler.
    George Costanza: Not a stickler for a tickler.
    Jerry Seinfeld: You're not a tickler stickler.
    George Costanza: Not a tickler stickler.

I absolutely love Seinfeld but this jab at the show from 'Family Guy' is too true!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭eggplantman

lost,it just keeps goin and goin.it has the right name 2 i cant follow any of it,not since after season 1

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

basquille wrote: »
    I absolutely love Seinfeld but this jab at the show from 'Family Guy' is too true!

I meant to include Family Guy in my list of overrated shows! It's not far off though. My friends and I often launch into skits of Seinfeld but I still love the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Only 1 main show and it's heroes. I just don't get it, everyone went on about it and it just wasn't very interesting. There was not 1 episode which I would call really good, best episode was 5 years on and even that was way over rated.
    It was just boring

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I want to add a few more:

'Lost' - It's enjoyable but people finding significance in every detail, believing the whole thing has been planned out meticiuously as a work of genius make me laugh. They're making large chunks up of it as they go along, it's clearly not been fully laid out and yet they'll find so many "clues" to kid themselves whilst ignoring the glaring oversights.

'Battlestar Galactica' - Again, I enjoy it but by the rotting corpses of the Lords of Kobol the romantic storylines, and indeed many character storylines, can really suck. They're not clever or deep - they're teenage angst and unenjoyable. Stick with the Cylon angle please.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Lost
    Prison break
    South Park
    Ugly Betty
    Invasion
    Battlestar galactica
    My name is earl
    Little Britain
    Vicar of Dibbley

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Meant to add Prison Break. Just seemed another glossy US show, not sure why it hooks people so much. Hard to take seriously after watching Oz. Not that its meant to be serious.

Also I'd have to add Lost, even though I like it. I just wish the upcoming season was the last.

Family Guy... Yeah i'd agreewith those who think its overrated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭opelmanta

wow...a whole lot of ppl ere who think family guy is overrated!!!
    guess were jus goin to ave to agree to disagree although i do agree with the whole prison break being over rated thing!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Definitely agree that Family Guy is waaaay over-rated. It used to be good but has gotten really bad in some of the recent seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Definitely agree that Family Guy is waaaay over-rated. It used to be good but has gotten really bad in some of the recent seasons.

First 3 seasons I found completely hilarious ... then I found it boring

• Registered Users Posts: 43,844 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Family Guy is waayyyy over-rated... have stopped watching it this season after the Star Wars episode. Just crap!

First 3 seasons were gold.. but it's gone seriously down the shi*ter!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I think every show has been mentioned in this thread.

No show is worth its hype:(

I challenge anyone who called Prison Break overrated to a duel!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Family Guy is waayyyy over-rated... have stopped watching it this season after the Star Wars episode. Just crap!

This reminds me of the time Peter found <insert random thing here> over-rated.........

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,276 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

To think, for once Fox had done the decent thing by axing a show while its rep was still intact, only for the whiny fanboys and their petitions (well, their DVD purchases to be more exact) to get their way and have Fox pump out X more seasons of mediocrity. Bad precedent.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭arcade1

how can anyone say that the sopranos is over rated!
    it it one of the only show that has gone form strenght to strenght.
    even the worst eps of the sopranos were of a standerd far above anything else on television.
    and yes it is the best tv show of all time.
    so how can the best tv show ever be over rated?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

arcade1 wrote: »
    how can anyone say that the sopranos is over rated!
    it it one of the only show that has gone form strenght to strenght.
    even the worst eps of the sopranos were of a standerd far above anything else on television.
    and yes it is the best tv show of all time.
    so how can the best tv show ever be over rated?

Well it is a matter of opinion,but firstly I would say it is no way the best show ever made,The Wire is the best show ever made imo.

Secondly,people rant and rave about how amazing it is,its a good show,very good at time,but it is amazing. Therefore it is overrated.

Also,to be honest,again IMO,it didn't go from strength to strength,it actually got weaker as it went on. That last season bar the last 2 episodes was fairly bad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 segovia

CSI Balbriggan
    Guard: well now red eyes?
    Drunk: goud evening osifer

Advertisement