Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which is bigger, -5 or -6?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,479 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

They should have used Kelvin, or even Farenheit :)

The example used was -6 and -8 and the caller said that -6 was lower than -8 when it's not. Where people are arguing about more cold, well, thank god that scratchcard wasn't released over here, or after hours would have imploded.

astrofool wrote: »
    or after hours would have imploded.

Is an implosion bigger than an explosion?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

Looking back at it again, she even contradicts herself:
    "On one of my cards it said I had to find temperatures lower than -8. The numbers I uncovered were -6 and -7 so I thought I had won, and so did the woman in the shop. But when she scanned the card the machine said I hadn't.

"I phoned Camelot and they fobbed me off with some story that -6 is higher - not lower - than -8 but I'm not having it.

"I think Camelot are giving people the wrong impression - the card doesn't say to look for a colder or warmer temperature, it says to look for a higher or lower number. Six is a lower number than 8. Imagine how many people have been misled."
    I wonder how often she makes arguments like that.

Tina: "You told me it cost £5, I tried to buy it for £4, nobody told me it costs £5"

• Registered Users Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Unpossible wrote: »

I wonder how often she makes arguments like that.

Tina: "You told me it cost £5, I tried to buy it for £4, nobody told me it costs £5"

You can't have an argument with someone as stupid as that.

Slow coach wrote:
    You can't have an argument with someone as stupid as that.
    because she is "having none of it"?

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

In temperature terms, the limit of coldness is 0 degrees Kelvin or absolute zero.

There is no degree Kelvin, it's just Kelvin as Kelvin is not a scale, it's a unit of measurement.

Anyway, looking at the full article, Tina's comments were
    The 23-year-old, who said she had left school without a maths GCSE, said: "On one of my cards it said I had to find temperatures lower than -8. The numbers I uncovered were -6 and -7 so I thought I had won, and so did the woman in the shop. But when she scanned the card the machine said I hadn't.

"I phoned Camelot and they fobbed me off with some story that -6 is higher - not lower - than -8 but I'm not having it.
    Is leaving school without a maths GCSE the same as failing maths in the leaving cert here or what? Who stupid does this make her?
    "I think Camelot are giving people the wrong impression - the card doesn't say to look for a colder or warmer temperature, it says to look for a higher or lower number. Six is a lower number than 8. Imagine how many people have been misled."
    So if she has enough of an education to understand basic numbers, 6 is lower than 8, she's obviously not a retard or completely uneducated. She's just a thick fool.
    Is an implosion bigger than an explosion?
    An implosion of value -6 is the same as an explosion of value +6. But an explosion of value -6 would result in the collapse of the universe, so try not to do that.
    Cheeky_gal wrote:
    How is that retarded dude...think about it...minus 6 equals more cold! More cold for everyone...equals bigger quantity of cold temperature all-round...equals bigger number. It's pretty straight forward in all fairness...

I'm with you Cheeky, don't let them confuse you with their "science" and "facts". Next thing they'll be telling us that Dark Suckers don't exist :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

jor el wrote: »
    Is leaving school without a maths GCSE the same as failing maths in the leaving cert here or what? Who stupid does this make her?

GCSE would be Junior Cert level, so it would be like her failing, or not doing, Junior Cert maths.....ordinary level Junior Cert maths. (Or so I'm told!!)

I like that people like this exist, it makes me happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

Tell me that was deliberate, please tell me it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

well as we all know the coefficients of cubical expansion due to heat are totally related to heat. -5 has more energy than -6. and when stuff is heated it expands. so for the same body -5 IS bigger than -6.

but it will weigh the same.

wait.. this IS the physics forum right?

oooooohh.. AH...

HER MA!! or something

EDIT- knew i forgot something. but pretty in pink got it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

Rite...
    Blowfish wrote: »
    You do realise there is no such thing as cold, right? [edit]beaten to it.

No such thing as cold?? ARE YOU STUPID DUDE!? I'm cold right now due to the cold! :rolleyes:
    i was gonna try and break from the whole explanation through cold thing and try to explain to Cheeky_gal negative numbers in terms of personal debt and it's total effect on net worth...

but then i thought better of it.

*turns and pats cheeky_gal on head while inwardly despairing for humanity.

In english please?? ;)
    Slow coach wrote: »
    Have you tried the experiment with the ice cube and the bucket of cold water? :D

Haven't really found the time tbh! lol! :D
    zuutroy wrote: »
    'contains more cold'....lol...just lol
    What's so "lol" about it? It does contain more cold...:rolleyes:
    I'm with you Cheeky, don't let them confuse you with their "science" and "facts". Next thing they'll be telling us that Dark Suckers don't exist :rolleyes:

I love you! :D

Seriously, it baffles me as to how stupid some people can actually be! Did none of you get an education?? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Tell me that was deliberate, please tell me it was.

:o

There's always one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

:o

There's always one.

or -1 as the case may be.......

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Kipperhell wrote: »
    Shocking that the education system fails so many but I put it mostly down to laziness.

too often people put it down to laziness but it's not at all... it's a catch 22. you can pass an maths exam without fully understanding the subject, that's what our exam system is today. when the question says X, do Y. this applies across all levels, including third where a huge amount manage to scrap by in maths. they subsequently go on to do the Hdip, get a job teaching maths and then you have teachers who haven't a notion trying to explain this stuff to our kids (obviously this is something of an over generalisation, but it does hold for an awful lot).

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

too often people put it down to laziness but it's not at all... it's a catch 22. you can pass an maths exam without fully understanding the subject, that's what our exam system is today. when the question says X, do Y. this applies across all levels, including third where a huge amount manage to scrap by in maths. they subsequently go on to do the Hdip, get a job teaching maths and then you have teachers who haven't a notion trying to explain this stuff to our kids (obviously this is something of an over generalisation, but it does hold for an awful lot).

How is that a Catch 22 (or even -22)?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I wonder what Tina would do if she was put in a room with only 2 doors to get out. Would she choose:

Door A: Brings you outside to -6 degrees C. (Tina: Oh, that sounds cold, it'll ruin my tan.)

or

Door B: Brings you outside to -38 degrees C. (Tina: Oh yes, that sounds great. That's the temperature it was last year in Playa del Ingles. I can work on my tan.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

contains more cold

Oh dear... *shakes head*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

toiletduck wrote: »
    Oh dear... *shakes head*
    Indeed, I'm beginning to think Cheeky_gal is a distant cousin of Tina's...

Blowfish wrote: »
    Indeed, I'm beginning to think Cheeky_gal is a distant cousing of Tina's...

I could be Tina...

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    I could be Tina...

'twould explain a lot.

I wonder what Tina would do if she was put in a room with only 2 doors to get out. Would she choose:

Door A: Brings you outside to -6 degrees C. (Tina: Oh, that sounds cold, it'll ruin my tan.)

or

Door B: Brings you outside to -38 degrees C. (Tina: Oh yes, that sounds great. That's the temperature it was last year in Playa del Ingles. I can work on my tan.)
    This seems like a perfect solution, it hits -30C here in winter so we could hold the competition in Finland :) the kids can meet santa while they are here, everybody is happy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

-40 is the same in Centigrade, Celsius or Farenheit
    and is way higher than 40 kelvin

-5 is higher than -6

-6 is bigger than -5 (size)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

How is that a Catch 22 (or even -22)?

it isn't. my heads just fried from looking at a PC screen too much. more like a self perpetuating problem... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 16,479 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

-40 is the same in Centigrade, Celsius or Farenheit
    and is way higher than 40 kelvin

-5 is higher than -6

-6 is bigger than -5 (size)

Unless i'm mistaken, celsius and centigrade refer to the same scale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Outer Bongolia

Teg Veece wrote: »
    OMG. No! -5 is higher than -6. It's not bigger than it though. There's a small but important difference between "higher" and "bigger" when it comes to negative numbers.

"Bigger" is generally preceived as being relative to the number 0. The further away from 0, the bigger the number, in either direction (positively or negatively).

"Higher" on the other hand, refers to the number's closeness to infinity. -5 is close to infinity than -6.

yeah I keep saying bigger instead of higher :D

Just a quickie to say,

I checked with an honours maths teacher and according to him, yes, you are all correct, -5 is the bigger number.

Also, checked with a science teacher and according to her, yes, once again, you are all correct, something cannot possibly "contain more cold".

So, my apologies and cudos for the learning experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Just a quickie to say,

I checked with an honours maths teacher and according to him, yes, you are all correct, -5 is the bigger number.

Also, checked with a science teacher and according to her, yes, once again, you are all correct, something cannot possibly "contain more cold".

So, my apologies and cudos for the learning experience.
    Kudos. Not cudos.

You're learning again. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Teg Veece

:(
    *Sigh

Terry wrote: »
    Kudos. Not cudos.

You're learning again. :)

haha I am, thank you. :)
    Teg Veece wrote: »
    :(
    *Sigh

Oh for the love of God what now??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

That's just semantics. It depends on how you define bigger in this respect.

• Advertisement

Just a quickie to say,

I checked with an honours maths teacher...

Also, checked with a science teacher...

What? You didn't believe any of us? :eek:

There's no love for the boardsies. :confused:

Advertisement