Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which is bigger, -5 or -6?

Options

Comments

Congratulations! you are a winner!

You can choose one of three prizes,

A -£25,000,
    B -£18.000,
    C £15.45 or
    D -£7,999.00

Please write your answer to this address along with your bank details

[EMAIL="P**@-----.scam.ie"]P**@[/email]
    .scam.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 tr0ll-07

-6 is definately bigger because 6 is bigger than 5!!

Think about it?

(if you calculate the area of the two numbers, -6 has a bigger area therefore making it bigger than -5)

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

In temperature terms, the limit of coldness is 0 degrees Kelvin or absolute zero.

-6 is closer to absolute zero than -5 is.
    So when trying to attain a state of absolute zero, -6 is indeed the bigger number, or as someone pointed out 'contains more cold'...

in my opinion, its certainly 'higher' on the ladder towards 0 degrees K.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Slow coach wrote: »
    Sounds like they did relish it! :D

In cases where people have access to education then it is their fault, and let's face it, in the UK (or Ireland) in this day and age everybody has access to education.

I'll bet if it was on their bank statements they would know which number was bigger.

Everybody has access to a deadly weapon and the ability to use it, they make the decision not to. This should have been considered, its not like your average hard-core footy fan that would buy that****e would have a great childhood full of plenty of old fashioned schooling.

My bank prints credit statements in red. And thanks for pointing out my spelling mistake, not one of my strong points. I corrected your grammar.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

In temperature terms, the limit of coldness is 0 degrees Kelvin or absolute zero.

-6 is closer to absolute zero than -5 is.
    So when trying to attain a state of absolute zero, -6 is indeed the bigger number, or as someone pointed out 'contains more cold'...

in my opinion, its certainly 'higher' on the ladder towards 0 degrees K.

So cheeky_gal resolved the confusion :confused::eek:

The end is nigh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,129 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

but equally -6 is less hot than -5

you say that girl is less hot than that girl in the skimpy dress
    while she might be more cold, it's not really what your thinking

i wonder did Camelot set up a nice premium rate hotline for the confused people, 5 min into the call press the highest prime number on the keypad to make a complaint... or the lowest to start again

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    ......I'm a crowd pleaser...:D

Don't let the lads in the BGRH get wind of that :eek:
    I'll bet if it was on their bank statements they'd know which number was bigger.

We once had a maths teacher called Big Jim. When trying to explain how to multiply simple fractions together to one of the rubberheads in the class, he got so exasperated, he nearly had a stroke. He said to your man (who's father was big into the gee-gees) :-

Big Jim: - "If it was a fiver on a 13/2 favourite you'd know what the answer was"

Dumba$$: - "....yeah..easy......£37.50"

Jim: - "NO YOU FOOL, IT'S £32.50!!!"

dUMBA$$: - "Erm.....I don't know about Text and Tests 1 but you get your fiver back in the bookies"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

Don't let the lads in the BGRH get wind of that :eek:

We once had a maths teacher called Big Jim. When trying to explain how to multiply simple fractions together to one of the rubberheads in the class, he got so exasperated, he nearly had a stroke. He said to your man (who's father was big into the gee-gees) :-

Big Jim: - "If it was a fiver on a 13/2 favourite you'd know what the answer was"

Dumba$$: - "....yeah..easy......£37.50"

Jim: - "NO YOU FOOL, IT'S £32.50!!!"

dUMBA$$: - "Erm.....I don't know about Text and Tests 1 but you get your fiver back in the bookies"

hahahaha I'd bet that the teacher was raging (if you'll excuse the pun)

oh and OP , -6 is bigger than -5 ("bigger" implies that you are talking about magnitude) but -5 is higher that -6 (as in closer to zero)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,132 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

...think about it...minus 6 equals more cold! More cold for everyone...equals bigger quantity of cold temperature all-round...equals bigger number. It's pretty straight forward in all fairness...

It's not. Try a simple experiment: Take an ice cube (-8) and place it on your palm. Uncomfortable, but it'll melt eventually. Now stick your whole arm in a bucket of cold water (about freezing will do). Now which has the most quantity of cold?

You're mixing up quantity of cold with temperature. Back to the OP's topic: -5 is higher than -6. There's no debate.

As a previous poster said, -6 has a larger magnitude than -5.

To the trollster: -6 (or any negative number) has no area.
    krazy_8s wrote: »
    I corrected your grammar.

Where? It's a slow day [for my brain]; you'll have to point it out. Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

Cheeky_gal wrote:
    Think of the temperature, obviously -6 would be colder than -5, hence -6 you could say is (bigger) because it contains more cold. So therefore, -6 is bigger...

-6 contains less heat though

• Advertisement

Unpossible wrote: »
    -6 contains less heat though

Not necessarily. See the previous post by moi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

'Tina Farrell, from Levenshulme, called Camelot after failing to win with several cards: "I phoned Camelot and they fobbed me off with some story that -6 is higher - not lower - than -8 but I'm not having it'

Uneducated tramp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

How is that retarded dude...think about it...minus 6 equals more cold! More cold for everyone...equals bigger quantity of cold temperature all-round...equals bigger number. It's pretty straight forward in all fairness...

ZOMG you did it again...

something can't actually contain cold, it's merely a figure of speech. cold by definition is the absence of heat, which is a form of energy. when that energy dissipates there's nothing to replace it. therefore something that becomes "more cold", it suddenly has less energy. it's smaller...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

You're mixing up quantity of cold with temperature. Back to the OP's topic: -5 is higher than -6. There's no debate.

You couldn't be more wrong....I am not mixing up quantity of cold with temperature...like really this could not be more simpler dude :p....

Imagine a whole load of cold air, well theres a lot of it in this scenario, hence, the quantity of cold air is of a rather large one...!?! I don't think I can break it down further unfortunately...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

ZOMG you did it again...

something can't actually contain cold, it's merely a figure of speech. cold by definition is the absence of heat, which is a form of energy. when that energy dissipates there's nothing to replace it. therefore something that becomes "more cold", it suddenly has less energy. it's smaller...

This guy is right.

At absolutle zero on the kelvin scale the oject contains no energy as you move up along it the object starts to have more energy -6 on the kelvin scale is 267.15K (according to google) and -5 is 268.15K which shows that at a temperature of -5 the object contains more heat engery or however you want to phrase it.

Degrees celcius is just a scale or numberline and therfore -5 is greater than -6 however if talking in terms of magnitude then -6 is great than -5 or the modulus of -6 is greater which is same thing different terms.

But in this case -5 is greater than -6

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

You couldn't be more wrong....I am not mixing up quantity of cold with temperature...like really this could not be more simpler dude :p....

Imagine a whole load of cold air, well theres a lot of it in this scenario, hence, the quantity of cold air is of a rather large one...!?! I don't think I can break it down further unfortunately...

Theres no such thing as cold its just what people refer to as lack of heat for something to be bigger it has to have a reference point your taking zero as yours which is wrong absolute zero is the only reference and therefore -5 is greater.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Outer Bongolia

So -5 is bigger than -6 in terms of numbers. Like 6 is bigger than 5. So that's the obvious part.. As for the amounts of cold and heat and the speed of light and the weight of the moon, I'll email Stephen Hawking or Joe Duffy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

Slow coach wrote:
    Not necessarily. See the previous post by moi.
    ok
    Slow coach wrote:
    It's not. Try a simple experiment: Take an ice cube (-8) and place it on your palm. Uncomfortable, but it'll melt eventually. Now stick your whole arm in a bucket of cold water (about freezing will do). Now which has the most quantity of cold?

Per m3 (meter cubed), ice at -8C will have less heat than water at 1C (or even at 0C in a pressurized container).

As leninbenjamin said heat is a form of energy.

edit: To make it easier to understand look up the kelvin temperature scale

So -5 is bigger than -6 in terms of numbers. Like 6 is bigger than 5. So that's the obvious part.. As for the amounts of cold and heat and the speed of light and the weight of the moon, I'll email Stephen Hawking or Joe Duffy

Joe Duffy....

Hiya Sheila! Hi Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

OMG, people can be so so dumb. Everyone knows (or should know) that the smaller the number after the "-" sign, the higher that number is. With instructions on the cards too. Seriously, just how low does the English education standard have to dip before they do something about it? They are starting that dumbing down thing here too (well starting it in force, they have always done it)

Bah, maths isn't that hard, and the maths being used in the scratchcards is the standard for 12 year olds. Maybe younger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,129 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

maybe this thread should be closed(frozen), before our IQ's start dropping(getting colder) any further

eolhc wrote: »
    maybe this thread should be closed(frozen), before our IQ's start dropping(getting colder) any further

hahahaha that ws good! Cudos dude! :D

I am not mixing up quantity of cold with temperature.

Yes, you are. See:
    minus 6 equals...bigger quantity of cold temperature

Minus 6 is a temperature. Not the same as a quantity of heat or lack thereof.

Have you tried the experiment with the ice cube and the bucket of cold water? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

i was gonna try and break from the whole explanation through cold thing and try to explain to Cheeky_gal negative numbers in terms of personal debt and it's total effect on net worth...

but then i thought better of it.

*turns and pats cheeky_gal on head while inwardly despairing for humanity.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Almost three times as many UK adults (15.1m) have poor numeracy - the equivalent of a G or below at GCSE maths - than with poor literacy skills, according to the government's Skills for Life survey.

My favourite bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

How is that retarded dude...think about it...minus 6 equals more cold! More cold for everyone...equals bigger quantity of cold temperature all-round...equals bigger number. It's pretty straight forward in all fairness...
    You do realise there is no such thing as cold, right?

[edit]beaten to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Her name was "Tina". What do you expect? I can picture her now. Fake tan, blonde hair, fag in mouth pushing the pram around the council estate looking for the childs father (literally). Some names just say it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Teg Veece

So -5 is bigger than -6 in terms of numbers. Like 6 is bigger than 5. So that's the obvious part..

OMG. No! -5 is higher than -6. It's not bigger than it though. There's a small but important difference between "higher" and "bigger" when it comes to negative numbers.

"Bigger" is generally preceived as being relative to the number 0. The further away from 0, the bigger the number, in either direction (positively or negatively).

"Higher" on the other hand, refers to the number's closeness to infinity. -5 is close to infinity than -6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

Teg Veece wrote: »
    OMG. No! -5 is higher than -6. It's not bigger than it though. There's a small but important difference between "higher" and "bigger" when it comes to negative numbers.

"Bigger" is generally preceived as being relative to the number 0. The further away from 0, the bigger the number, in either direction (positively or negatively).

"Higher" on the other hand, refers to the number's closeness to infinity. -5 is close to infinity than -6.

Thank god somebody else posted this. People have this problem with language all the time. My wife teaches adults computer applications and she comes in frustrated at how amazingly dumb people are. Many say "I just don't get maths" without ever trying all she is doing is simple Excel. You can say what you want about Americans but most can do fractions and percentages easily as they use it daily. I have met professionals unable to work out % and give really inaccurate reports as a result. Shocking that the education system fails so many but I put it mostly down to laziness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

'contains more cold'....lol...just lol

Advertisement