Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which is bigger, -5 or -6?

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

Slow coach wrote: »
    What? You didn't believe any of us? :eek:

There's no love for the boardsies. :confused:

Aaaaah, theres lots of love for the boardsies dude! :D

I just had to verify it for my own sanity cuz I genuinely didn't realise there was no such thing as "containing cold" or a "bigger amount of cold"....although you were all correct, I needed the opinion of someone in the profession....

All the love,
    Cheeky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

GCSE would be Junior Cert level, so it would be like her failing, or not doing, Junior Cert maths.....ordinary level Junior Cert maths. (Or so I'm told!!)

I like that people like this exist, it makes me happy.
    I remember back at the start of the decade looking at prospectuses for universities and HE colleges both for Ireland and the UK, and unless they have changed significantally, a GCSE pass (Grade C or above) is treated as a rough equivalent to a pass (D3 or higher) in the Leaving Cert at ordinary/pass level, while an honours pass would be around the equivalent of 1/2 an A-Level, though a few institutions are weighting it more towards 2/3s more recently. AFAIK no Further Education institute in the north will accept a Junior Cert where GCSE grades of C and above are demanded for courses in its place.

As for the story itself, some student teachers who have been studying in and around Manchester & Liverpool tell me that while on placement in schools there the standard of mathematics compared to back in N.Ireland is shocking in many schools, so this doll "Tina" is no shocker to be seen coming out with this statement. It's still funny though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

altight lads, now here's a question to get the heads going...

seeing as something divided by itself is 1, (ie 3/3=1) then why is 0/0 considered indeterminate? i honestly dont know meself so dont expect an answer off me... explanations would be welcomed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

lawhec wrote: »
    I remember back at the start of the decade looking at prospectuses for universities and HE colleges both for Ireland and the UK, and unless they have changed significantally, a GCSE pass (Grade C or above) is treated as a rough equivalent to a pass (D3 or higher) in the Leaving Cert at ordinary/pass level, while an honours pass would be around the equivalent of 1/2 an A-Level, though a few institutions are weighting it more towards 2/3s more recently. AFAIK no Further Education institute in the north will accept a Junior Cert where GCSE grades of C and above are demanded for courses in its place.

As for the story itself, some student teachers who have been studying in and around Manchester & Liverpool tell me that while on placement in schools there the standard of mathematics compared to back in N.Ireland is shocking in many schools, so this doll "Tina" is no shocker to be seen coming out with this statement. It's still funny though!

I was just going on what my English housemate told me.

I think there was a report recently that stated that Northern Irish schools were doing far better than schools in England. (I think Wales came out better too. Not sure about Scotland.)

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭irishfeller

-6 is the bigger number - the size of decimal numbers is measured by their distance from zero...

• Advertisement

seeing as something divided by itself is 1, (ie 3/3=1) then why is 0/0 considered indeterminate? i honestly dont know meself so dont expect an answer off me... explanations would be welcomed though.

I can only assume the answer to this is because...

Well, look at it this way, 0 divided by 0 is just....well, it's just not possible to do! For instance, imagine there been 0 amount of cold in a jar say, and you divided that amount of cold by 0, well, there was 0 amount of cold to begin with, so NO COLD EXISTED! Hence, it's unsolvable.

Nah, seriously, I think it's because 0 doesn't actually exist.

Joke btw...

Bet I had ya all there tho yea!? Mwahaha!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    Just a quickie to say,

I checked with an honours maths teacher and according to him, yes, you are all correct, -5 is the bigger number.

Also, checked with a science teacher and according to her, yes, once again, you are all correct, something cannot possibly "contain more cold".

So, my apologies and cudos for the learning experience.
    -6 is the bigger number - the size of decimal numbers is measured by their distance from zero...

So....the maths teacher was wrong? (I kind of noticed this but was too scared to post in case I was wrong and was then ridiculed!!)

So....the maths teacher was wrong? (I kind of noticed this but was too scared to post in case I was wrong and was then ridiculed!!)

it's more an argument over a point of definition really... before you get any idea in you're head cheeky gal it doesn't vindicate you in anyway as you're reasoning was completely flawed.

before you get any idea in you're head cheeky gal it doesn't vindicate you in anyway as you're reasoning was completely flawed.

In simpler wording?

In simpler wording?

what some people mean by "bigger" is different to what others mean by it. they are all right in a way, merely arguing over a technicality.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

I was just going on what my English housemate told me.

I think there was a report recently that stated that Northern Irish schools were doing far better than schools in England. (I think Wales came out better too. Not sure about Scotland.)
    Yes, schools in N.Ireland tend to have better results than in England at the top. However there is also a larger percentage of students here that leave with no qualifications compared to England, most of these students live in Greater Belfast. The general rating of school performance at GCSE level is by how many achieve at least 5 passes at Grade C and above, in the Grammars this normally is between 85-95%, secondary schools vary wildly, the average is around 35-45% with the better ones hitting 60-70% and the poorest ones as low as 15%.

Scotland is difficult to compare as they have their own exam structure different to that in the rest of the UK. Almost all schools there, except a few private ones, sit exams under the SQA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Qualifications_Authority

• Registered Users Posts: 30,071 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

at this stage I'm will to settle for -6 is sometimes equal to -5 if you bend the rules of mathematics a little, and they are both less than and greater than each other depending on how you want to look at it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Outer Bongolia

Trevor Welch is bigger than Aidan Cooney.

Thread Closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

-6 - 5 = - 11

What's the confusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭im_invisible

yeah, but is that
    (-6) - (5), or
    (-6) + (-5)? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

yeah, but is that
    (-6) - (5), or
    (-6) + (-5)? ;)

Same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

No such thing as cold?? ARE YOU STUPID DUDE!? I'm cold right now due to the cold! :rolleyes:

What's so "lol" about it? It does contain more cold...:rolleyes:

...they mean in a "sciencey" way one has "heat" (energy, will depend on how much stuff there is - like that bucket of water/ice cube heat capacity example) and "temperature" (intrinsic property independant of how much stuff there is) - but not "cold".
    Losing heat will still make you feel "cold" though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

jor el wrote: »
    Next thing they'll be telling us that Dark Suckers don't exist :rolleyes:
    Bastard!

Many years ago I wrote something with exactly the same idea (I even called them dark-suckers) and then found someone had just beat me with the same idea. Now the interweb has to drag up the memories :(

You could always try the maths forum.
    However:
    1. x/x = 1
    2. 0/x = 0
    3. x/0 = ∞
    Since 0/0 matches all three, 0/0 is 1, 0 and ∞ which is impossible, hence 0/0 is indeterminate.
    eolhc wrote: »
    at this stage I'm will to settle for -6 is sometimes equal to -5 if you bend the rules of mathematics a little
    In some branches of magic you find the statement 5=6, however this refers not to arithmetic to the correspondence of the microcosm and macrocosm, and in particular the work of Knowledge and Conversation of the Holy Guardian Angel that exists in various magical systems with an influence from the קַבָּלָה adapted into a Christian or post-Christian (particularly Thelemetic) system.
    I suppose if one were to work with the קליפות then there might me some sort of use for -5=-6 :)
    That's what Camelot should do next - a scratch card game based on the Qaballah!

Actually, it's kind of clever of Camelot. If the win/lose ratio is around 1 in 6 (a common ration for scratch cards, though obviously the ration for the bigger prizes is much lower) then for every 6 people who don't understand that they've lost (who Camelot can then bamboozle with primary school maths) there's one who doesn't understand that they've won, and who throws their winning card in the bin.

/edit: missed this one:
    astrofool wrote: »
    Unless i'm mistaken, celsius and centigrade refer to the same scale.
    For practical purposes, yes. 0° Centigrade is defined as temperature of melting ice at standard atmospheric pressure. This cannot be measured with particularly good accuracy. 0° Celsius is defined at 273.15K. Kelvin is in turn defined by absolute-zero with a calibration definition of the triple point of water - which can be measured in practical experiments to a precision of less than 0.00005 degrees.

Hence Centigrade is a less precise measure and Celsius a more precise one, but they are much the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Over 100 replies and plenty of semantics.

Minus 5 is a larger number than minus 6.

I'm dropping my request for my name to be changed to Clancy Wiggum.
    I now wish to be known as "The rocket scientist".

So nobody disagrees that -5 is higher than -6?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Terry wrote: »
    Over 100 replies and plenty of semantics.

Minus 5 is a larger number than minus 6.

I'm dropping my request for my name to be changed to Clancy Wiggum.
    I now wish to be known as "Professor Frink", oh glaven!

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

So nobody disagrees that -5 is higher than -6?

depends... are we dealing in vectors or scalars?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Maths makes the Baby Jesus cry.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Teg Veece

All this talk of "larger", "higher", "bigger", "more colder" is just confusing the matter!

-6 < -5

Lets just leave it at that.

Let that be an end to the matter.

Advertisement