Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paul Tibbits dies

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 gavrilo princip

Hey!
    Quit blaming me.

It's like Condoleeza Rice calling the Kurds in Norther Iraq "Terrorists" because they have fought back against Turkish invaders.

I seem to remember the Kurds being one of the main reasons for the American invasion of Iraq. Apparently they went in to protect them from that evil Saddam Hussein (who is in heaven with me right now and h even shared some of the virgins).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Ending the war when they did not only spared all parties involved from having to endure the devastation and massive casualties of an invasion;it also kept the Japanese nation from being fractured up a la Korea.The Russian army was pushing down from the north and had already captured some of the islands there.If an invasion had gone had you can bet that they would have rolled on down and there would have been a similar situation as occurred in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

The Bollox wrote: »
    holy carp! it's Don Corleone. he made Franz an offer he could refuse it seems :D

anyway back on topic: there is no right or wrong way to look at Tibbet's actions. like so many posters have already said, he was just a man given a job and had he refused he would not have been given any praise or shown any affection from the people besmirching his name here today. what he did was very noble, as he had to live the next 60 years of his life haunted by the screams of 100,000 people when the bomb went off. had it not gone off the war would have probably gone on for another few years with the casualty count 5 fold of that in Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

No, killing hundreds of thousands of mostly civilians is not noble, its an atrocity. It was a solution, but not a noble one. The question of its necessity is debatable however.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

No, killing hundreds of thousands of mostly civilians is not noble, its an atrocity. It was a solution, but not a noble one. The question of its necessity is debatable however.

I agree totally .I would like to know did Tibbits volunteer for the mission to drop the A bomb or was he ordered ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

ruskin wrote: »
    Paul Tibbits, the man who dropped the first a-bomb on Hiroshima in 1945, has died at the age of 92. Isnt it just wrong that that monster lived a long healthy life after what he took part in? He dropped a bomb that completly disintegrated human life, and caused countless cancers and suffering for years to come

Crap, it was a strategic move that saved countless lives, I suppose some might have enjoyed the moment as retribution for Pearl Harbour.

Lots of innocent casualties, but what about Manchuria, Singapore etc etc. Still the Bushido's had it coming and they got it. It was a small price for a bigger prize.

• Advertisement
Advertisement