Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paul Tibbits dies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

but that doesn't mean only the evil die old! :mad:

You have completely missed the meaning of that quote, and I'm not going to explain it to you.

To the OP, do you actually think there was a day in that mans life that he didn't look back and think about all the people he killed, and then you come along and say something so unbelievably ignorant that the bile is touching the top of my throat. The people that dropped the bombs can actually be quoted as saying "Oh my God, what have we done." It wasn't their decision, and it wasn't their fault, show some God dammed respect to the man and his family.
    Now I have no love for such a vulgar display of power, but when someone comes along and says crap like this is make me sick, to my stomach. Maybe you should try living with something of that magnitude on your mind, every day for 40 odd years, gimp.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

best described as a fcked up course of action in a fcked up situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭patto_chan

The tired old 'Americans = bad' argument again. Yawn.
    It is easy to make flippant comments from a safe vantage point 60 years later. The Pacific war end game was complex.
    Richards Rhodes wrote an excellent book on the development and use of the atomic bombs at the end of WW2. Check it out.

It is argued that more people died in a firebombing raid in Tokyo in March 1945 than in the immediate aftermath of both A-bomb attacks. Yet very few people have heard of that raid.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Whatever about the need to drop the bomb, there was certainly no need to drop the bomb on a populated city, and certainly no need to drop two bombs. And for Tibbits, considering he not once expressed remorse - and indeed re-inacted the bombing, complete with mushroom cloud, at an airshow in Texas - he'll go down as ignorant and inhumane in my book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

OP you are an Idiot, if it wasnt for the likes of The Americans and The British Operation Grun could well and truly happened on Irish soil and we could have been speaking Deutsch now or Russian, get a grip the world was at War and the Japanese were just as blood thirsty as the rest, Pearl Harbour anybody?

If you were there then would you have let the bomb go and end a World war or would you just let it continue? Show some respect for the many who made the ultimate sacrifice for the few.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

I heard the Emperor tried to phone the president of America to tell him that he was giving up, but the line was engaged because the president was on the phone to the bomber pilots telling them to nuke Japan.

May I recommend the book

Ruin from the Air - Gordon Thomas and Max Morgan Witts
    ISBN-10: 0812885090
    ISBN-13: 978-0812885095

Very readable account of the politics, operation and personalities.

Binomate wrote: »
    I heard the Emperor tried to phone the president of America to tell him that he was giving up, but the line was engaged because the president was on the phone to the bomber pilots telling them to nuke Japan.

You mean a RADIO.......... First ive heard of that or of Mobile Phones on WW2 Aircraft.

This man was a true aviation professional.

He did something for the first time, something incredibly risky, with an awesome bottom line, without question, and brought the crew and the aeroplane home.

And changed the course of history.

The argument will never be won, because there are as many bleeding heart liberals as there are pragmatists in this world. There can be little doubt that the taking of the Home Islands and the ultimate invasion of Japan would have slaughtered perhaps millions of souls for the same outcome.

ALSO

I remember seeing him on the 'The World About Us - Colonel Culpeppers Flying Circus' documentary - he was still flying FIFI (the CAF B-29) aged 65 !!! - and when questioned about his thoughts he was adamant that given the same set of circumstances he would do the same thing again.

Tibbets had requested no funeral and no headstone, fearing it would provide his detractors with a place to protest.

Gen Tibbets did his duty. RIP Sir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

I wouldn't be sure about the phone , how long would it take & they would have had more than one surely ?
    The Japs days were numbered when the bomb was dropped. Japan had very little fight left in her.The decision to drop the bomb was completely wrong. In fact, it was more of an experiment than it was a quick end to the war.
    For sure it was part-experiment , wasn't the original worry that Germany was developing a nuke too when they stopped selling uranium from Czech ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

To give an idea as to just how many casualties the US was expecting in a conventional attack on Japan, no Purple Hearts have been minted since 1945. Okinawa made it plain that an assault would have been a huge bloodletting: Troops who wouldn't surrender, or who would routinely kill themselves in order to kill the Americans, and civilians who would prefer to kill themselves rather than surrender to Americans.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 deadprez

jesus i wouldn't call him a monster,what I would call him was a pilot. they didn't really know what they were dealing with in them days. Times have changed and it wont happen again. Human history isn't all sweetness and pie ya know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

ruskin wrote: »
    Paul Tibbits, the man who dropped the first a-bomb on Hiroshima in 1945, has died at the age of 92. Isnt it just wrong that that monster lived a long healthy life after what he took part in? He dropped a bomb that completly disintegrated human life, and caused countless cancers and suffering for years to come

Asshole :rolleyes:

R.I.P paul tibbit your actions that no doubt haunted your long life saved possible millions of people and helped keep the peace for many year's

• Registered Users Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭BIG-SLICK-POKER

If i was following orders i drop it . Part of War and direct orders . No questiosn asked . Blame the goverment not the Pilot

R.I.P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

He was a pilot following orders while his country was at war. Nasty sh1t is gonna happen when the world is split in half and each half is trying to conquer the other, and the atom bomb wasn't necessarily the worst of them. Should we be happy about the death of every pilot who took part in leveling Dresden? It was war, Queensbury rules don't exactly apply

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

And what of his attitude and actions after the war? After it was known to everyone the absolute horror that dropping the bomb led to? It seems he was completely without remorse, and even re-enacted the bombing run at an American airshow, complete with a staged mushroom cloud? How utterly crass and disgusting is that?

It's one thing to push the button under orders, not knowing the extent of the consequences or believing there are no alternatives. That's understandable, if not entirely forgivable. But, knowing what we know now, his actions after the event were just as repulsive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

There are bad crimes going on right now under our noses but its called democracy by some leaders.

I guess he wasn't fully aware of the consequences of his actions. I doubt a day went by when he didn't think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Maybe I'm wrong but isn't the title of this thread "Paul Tibbits dies". Not "was what he did right or wrong"? At the end of the day none of us knows what he was really like or how he lived his life. I find the idea of any nuclear weapons abhorrent. But I wasn't there and neither were any of you so who are ye to judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Will someone tell me, who the fcuk is Paul Tibbits?

OP? Anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

Slow coach wrote: »

OP? Anyone?

http://www.google.com:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Slow coach wrote: »

OP? Anyone?

Or just read the first post...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

I think he is a great man ( History wise), and it must of been rather strange carrying and dropping that payload..

Im with this guy but couldnt find him in uniform and for those in the know remember his message :)
    http://www.offshoreradio.co.uk/gosling.jpg

Still lost ?
    http://www.dvd.net.au/movies/k/07455-1.jpg
    Still cant find him in army uniform......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Ciaran500 wrote: »

lol.

My take is simple, they were at war. War means doing nasty **** to the other side till they are gone or give up.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

were they? i read somewhere recently that they were already going to surrender by the time the bombs dropped.

At the time the Japanese army practiced Bushido. Under that you dont surrender apparently! I have a book at world war two. Stories from each side of the war and photos. One chapter was about a group of American marines who surrounded some Japanese with no way out for them. The Japanese general killed all his soldiers then him self rather than surrendering while the americans watched (I think the Japanese were on an island and the americans couldnt get there in time)

You can judge what goes on in war time like that with todays PC standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Orange69 wrote: »

Would have never thought of google. Thanks.
    Capt. Paul Tibbits, MC, USN, serves as program executive officer for information technology in the Military Health System (MHS), working in tandem with the counterbalancing directorate that deals with information management (IM), headed by Col. Sue Chang, USAF, MSC. Goals and "core competencies" required for the MHS are developed by the IM directorate and approved by an information management proponent committee composed of the deputy surgeons general, working under the general oversight of the surgeons general. Dr. Tibbits and his staff are charged with taking those priorities and turning them into reality.

So that's who he is.
    Ciaran500 wrote: »

Yeah, I did, and I was totally confused.
    ruskin wrote: »
    Paul Tibbits, the man who dropped the first a-bomb on Hiroshima in 1945, has died at the age of 92. Isnt it just wrong that that monster lived a long healthy life after what he took part in? He dropped a bomb that completly disintegrated human life, and caused countless cancers and suffering for years to come

Wrong guy. See above.

Anyway, back on thread/topic:

What do you guys think is justifiable in wartime:

Dropping a [big]bomb on civilians?

Placing a [car]bomb amongst innocent civilians?

Sticking a bayonet into someone's stomach?

Spraying enemy soldiers with a machine-gun?

If you want to end the war, that is break the will of the enemy and make sure he has nothing left to fight for, which do you think would work best?

The Russians annihilated Berlin in 1945; was there that much difference?

Cancers: who knew about cancers and A-bombs in 1945?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,027 ✭✭✭✭event

Slow coach, dunno where you entered but when i put paul tibbits into google i got this

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=paul+tibbits&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

shows there who he is

What about the pilots that dropped the bombs on Dresden during World War 2? 25,000–35,000 people were killed during that. But nobody knows the full number of deaths.

See wikipedia for more details

They were just following orders. As they were trained to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

I Blame this guy for ALL of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gavrilo_Princip

Most evil bastard ever, started off a sequence of events we're still feeling today.

(only joking. Princip, like Tibbits, was only a pawn in a much bigger game. Governments make the decisions)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,974 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Binomate has someone else been using your account? Lately you seem absolutely intent on ruffling feathers and trying to rub people up the wrong way. You have constantly been aggravating other posters recently.

What gives?

On topic. The atomic bomb was a completely new weapon at the time and people weren't so familiar with it's terrible capabilities. We have the benefit of hindsight and of having had the Cold War threat.
    Also WWII was the fiercest war ever fought at that point with incredible new weapons and advances happening all of the time. It lasted for 6 years. Who knew then where and when it was going to end. The man was given a mission to do and he did it, it's as simple as that.

I agree his re-enactment some years later was crass but we are all capable of lapses in judgement and I'm sure many of us have been guilty of doing something in poor taste.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 BOOBLESS

The man was doing a job with orders from the bosses above..

Advertisement