Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I Hate Christmas

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

Christmas should be like the Olympics. It should only happen once every 4 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

I dont like Christmas either - but like having time off work.
    Christmas day is overrated, its boring.
    Its cold, its dark.
    I prefer summer holidays and summer days. Maybe I should spend it in Australia on the beach.

I like new years though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

TheThing! wrote: »
    I'll let you people in on a little trick I developed. Its quite subtle, but if done properly it will shut up those pricks who harp on about Christman on a continual basis regardless of how far away it may be. When the said offender mentions Christman, or even hints at mentioning it, you simply kick them in the head and then when they're on the ground, pour paint in their eyes. It also works on parents around exam result times.

My aren't you just the litle bundle of joy.

Well that puts an end to me announcing my Christmas Tree Erection Ceremony which will take place in 29 days. Wouldn't want to be known as a prick, kicked in the head or have paint poured in my eyes now would I.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I intensely dislike Christmas and have done for many years. I think it has something to do with all the years I spent working in retail and saw how Christmas brought out the worst in people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

Talking to some of the Polish and Czech people in work and they are shocked at how commercial our Christmas is. From what they can see, all we do is shop for weeks leading up to Christmas. And where does everyone go the day after St Stephens day ? To the sales.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I wish I could skip the whole thing tbh

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I think I'm going to boycott Christmas this year, or the commercial side of it at least. No cards, no presents, no crappy music. That just leaves...eh... nothing really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

Im thinking of ignoring xmas too and celebrating festivus instead..

A festivus for the rest of us!

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭l3LoWnA

I Love it!!!

I love everything about it!!

I love shopping on the dark cold evenings with Christmas lights and decorations everywhere and the hustle and bustle and frantic lads dashing around trying to find their better halves presssies at the last minute.

I love the party-atmosphere in work AND when out on the town, everywhere you look, everyone seems happy!

I love the sh*te work Xmas parties when people you never thought smoked smoke and people who can't handle drink get drunk and do the most STUPID things, so you can look at them in a completely different light when back at your desk in the new year.

I love Christmas day when everywhere is closed. Everyone is on a go-slow and it's sooo relaxing! Everyones in good form and as many family members as is possible to be together ARE together.

I love Christmas Eve - either in the pub where there's always a jovial atmosphere and lots of Christmas songs and happiness OR sitting @ home with friends/family playing board games, drinking wine, eating good food, having good conversations or getting excited about santa's arrival later in the night!!!

I love Christmas dinner - for obvious reasons, it's delicious and there's LOTS of it! Turkey, Ham, Beef, Stuffing, Mash, Roasties, cranberry sauce, gravy, sprouts (i never EVER eat them except on chritmas day) etc etc and all soooooo yummy!!!

I love my little girls facial expression of awe when she wake up see to an array of beautiful things that Santa Claus has left her

I love the way classic and cheesy movies are repeated on TV over and over again every Christmas year in, year out!!

I love reading magical christmas stories to my daughter about the baby jesus and santa.

I love when evening comes on Christmas Day and I'm relaxing by a roasting fire with a HUGE glass of wine (that I can't fit into my stomach) after the Christmas pudding and dozing in and out of happy HAPPY sleep while Charlie & the Chocolate Factory keeps my daughter happy.

I love Christmas Weddings - they're so magical and romantic and luckily I'm going to one this year!

I love St. Stephens day when our whole community/parish gather in the local pub and drink and get merry together!!

I love St. Stephens night when myself and all of my girl-friends get together for wine & food and then hit the town in our best Christmas gear together, looking grogeous, feeling wonderful and having fun...together.

I love looking forward to Christmas and I love all the tiny hints (like Christmas songs in shops etc) that we're already beginning to get which tell me Christmas is well and truly on the way. So regardless that November, for some, is THE most depressing month of the year, dark evenings, dull weather etc., I'm enjoying it, as I kno Christmas is just around the corner and I can plan it and go out and buy some pressies here and there and an outfit or two all in the lead up to it in these cold and dark winter months!!!

I thnk Christmas festivities should begin on Oct 1st and end around Feb 1st!!!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Am I annoying you all yet?!?

i:p

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I prefer the idea of Christmas to the actual Christmas itself. It's so stressed and everybody is struggling so hard to have a great time that we forget to relax and just enjoy being off from work and get free stuff from our friends :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,981 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

I love christmas :). That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

l3LoWnA wrote: »
    I Love it!!!

I love shopping on the dark cold evenings with Christmas lights and decorations everywhere and the hustle and bustle and frantic lads dashing around trying to find their better halves presssies at the last minute.

I love the party-atmosphere in work AND when out on the town, everywhere you look, everyone seems happy!

I love the sh*te work Xmas parties when people you never thought smoked smoke and people who can't handle drink get drunk and do the most STUPID things, so you can look at them in a completely different light when back at your desk in the new year.

I love Christmas day when everywhere is closed. Everyone is on a go-slow and it's sooo relaxing! Everyones in good form and as many family members as is possible to be together ARE together.

I love Christmas Eve - either in the pub where there's always a jovial atmosphere and lots of Christmas songs and happiness OR sitting @ home with friends/family playing board games, drinking wine, eating good food, having good conversations or getting excited about santa's arrival later in the night!!!

I love Christmas dinner - for obvious reasons, it's delicious and there's LOTS of it! Turkey, Ham, Beef, Stuffing, Mash, Roasties, cranberry sauce, gravy, sprouts (i never EVER eat them except on chritmas day) etc etc and all soooooo yummy!!!

I love my little girls facial expression of awe when she wake up see to an array of beautiful things that Santa Claus has left her

I love the way classic and cheesy movies are repeated on TV over and over again every Christmas year in, year out!!

I love reading magical christmas stories to my daughter about the baby jesus and santa.

I love when evening comes on Christmas Day and I'm relaxing by a roasting fire with a HUGE glass of wine (that I can't fit into my stomach) after the Christmas pudding and dozing in and out of happy HAPPY sleep while Charlie & the Chocolate Factory keeps my daughter happy.

I love Christmas Weddings - they're so magical and romantic and luckily I'm going to one this year!

I love St. Stephens day when our whole community/parish gather in the local pub and drink and get merry together!!

I love St. Stephens night when myself and all of my girl-friends get together for wine & food and then hit the town in our best Christmas gear together, looking grogeous, feeling wonderful and having fun...together.

I love looking forward to Christmas and I love all the tiny hints (like Christmas songs in shops etc) that we're already beginning to get which tell me Christmas is well and truly on the way. So regardless that November, for some, is THE most depressing month of the year, dark evenings, dull weather etc., I'm enjoying it, as I kno Christmas is just around the corner and I can plan it and go out and buy some pressies here and there and an outfit or two all in the lead up to it in these cold and dark winter months!!!

I love this post:)
    ....Christmas is the bees knees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

I Love it!!!

See now this is the way I Imagine Christmas will be every year, mixed in with some winter scenes from Bridget Jones and the Muppets Christmas
    Carol. Never quite comes off like that though.

Still an all, its heart warming to see someone all sparkly with xmas excitement in this cynical oul world (AH) I hope its as nice for you as it sounds :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I LOVE Christmas! And I love l3LoWnA's post because everything is so true, and I can relate to most of it.
    It's true, for some people Christmas is the hardest time of the year, and my heart goes out to them. It must be so painful to be lonely at Christmas. But for those of us who are fortunate enough to have at least one person to share it with, it's to be celebrated and made the most of.

All in all, Christmas rocks!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,755 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I'll let you people in on a little trick I developed. Its quite subtle, but if done properly it will shut up those pricks who harp on about Christman on a continual basis regardless of how far away it may be. When the said offender mentions Christman, or even hints at mentioning it, you simply kick them in the head and then when they're on the ground, pour paint in their eyes. It also works on parents around exam result times.

The ironing is delicious...

Another way to "shut up those pricks who harp on about Christmas" is not to let those self-same "pricks" post threads about it in the first place. Especially in November.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I used to love Christmas when I was a kid but in the last few years it's just become a source of stress for me and most people I know are the same. Its a lot of shopping and worrying about money etc for one stinking long, boring, depressing day.. And this year will be even more depressing because last year the entire holiday was spent either at Beaumont hospital or waiting by the phone cause my little cousin was critically ill and ended up passing away on New Years Eve.. So this will be her first Xmas 'away from home' :o

So bah humbug all round..

Sorry that was a bit depressing wasn't it... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭Archeron

Oxford Lunch in the gold colour wrapper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭TheThing!

I Love it!!!

Oh,oh,oh,oh....oh my GOD!!!!

This is why I hate Christmas

This thread is a turkey. :p

Hill Billy wrote: »

Yeah, lets wrap this up now.

• Advertisement

Yule be sorry you said that.

I'll sleigh anyone who challenges me on that front.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

I know I'm not the only one

have a sweet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Hill Billy wrote: »

Is it stuffed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

i hate the lead up....

i heard my first christmas carol on spin on the 26th of june!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I <3 crimbo ^_^

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

I like Christmas but hate the build up to it. Too stressful, money worries etc. Christmas day is nice but a bit mad with excited kids going crazy all day. I do like to get out for a pint or 2 with my friends on Stephen's Day (doesn't happen so much since I got married)but hate the nagging I get when I go home for daring to spend even an hour over christmas with friends when I should be at home hanging out with pain in the ass in-laws and other family members who don't want to know me the rest of the year.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Retail destroyed any interest in the season I may ever have had.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭l3LoWnA

Oh cheer up you lot! You don't HAVE to spend a fortuen unless you're into all that keeping up with the Jones!! Christmas doesn't have to be stressful @ all!

It WILL be as good for me this year as it is every year. I love Christmas, both the anticipation AND Christmas itself! As I said before, I'm lucky enough to have all those dearest to me still alive and well and look forward to spending time with them at Christmas, and being there for friends who HAVE lost someone etc.

God, some of ye are such grumpy old farts!! I bet the same crowd that hate Christmas didn't give even a mouldy peanut to the Trick or Treaters the other evening aswell. Cheer up people:-

As the lyrics go:-
    The child is a king, the carollers sing,
    The old has passed, theres a new beginning.
    Dreams of santa, dreams of snow,
    Fingers numb, faces aglow.

Christmas time, mistletoe and wine
    Children singing christian rhyme
    With logs on the fire and gifts on the tree
    A time for rejoicing in all that we see

A time for living, a time for believing
    A time for trusting, not deceiving,
    Love and laughter and joy ever after,
    Ours for the taking, just follow the master

Happy Christmas everyone!!! :D

:p