Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asus EEE-PC

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

laptopsdirect must have had a recent shipment 'cos my little sisters EEE arrived today. She's delighted with herself lol, perfect sized keyboard for her 4 year old hands:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Tricked wrote: »
    Pretty cool alright, a total of €550 would put me off though. The eeeuser forum has instructions on how to install the touch screen if you have any soldering experience I think.

Its Dollars not euro so €550 is way off the mark! More like €360-370 including delivery, could be stung for customs though as outside EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Tricked

majiktripp wrote: »
    Its Dollars not euro so €550 is way off the mark! More like €360-370 including delivery, could be stung for customs though as outside EU.

my bad :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Sorry ,does anyone know if the vodafone broadband works on the linux version ?

I want to get one of these to use with vodafone ,but I'm not sure if the voda will work with either?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭easy guv'nor

the US charger takes our voltage with the only difference being that it has the US type pins.
    I'm using a US-UK adaptor and it works perfect. No need for a stepdown transformer.

Just got one off Ebay from Taiwan and I'm in love. 4GB webcam model, came with 1GB Ram (upgraded from 512MB, they even included the old 512 module) and a 4GB memory card. €370 inc postage. White, not black as requested and no 3 pin adapter, but love is blind :)

Anyway, presume its ok to use the taiwan plug with a normal 3 pin adapter like Spank above? Last thing I want is a puff of smoke from this baby!

• Advertisement

Was there any customs to be paid on it? What value did they declare it as? And finally was it from the guy selling on ebay I linked to above? Glad you like it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭easy guv'nor

Hi,

No, ordered it about three weeks ago, from these guys. It was one of the best deals at the time but looking now it seems theres better.

No customs to be paid as yet, was posted to my folks place and bought on my brother's eBay account though, so hopefully he gets the bill.

It was marked as a gift of $150 value.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

/shameless plug
    I've one for sale on Adverts if anyone's interested!

/shameless plug

I got mine in the states, Total inpulse buy. Is really handy for traveling! what i loved about it was its Size, Small but Powerfull. Never got around to set it up on xp, i'm trying to build a gaming rig, so thats why i'm selling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

hey AS, see my offer on the advert!

_Brian_ wrote: »
    Sorry ,does anyone know if the vodafone broadband works on the linux version ?

I want to get one of these to use with vodafone ,but I'm not sure if the voda will work with either?

Anyone any idea on this ,I've been told by a guy from the laptop shop that the 3G broadbands don'r work on the EEE.

But I was sure someone mentioned it here that they did ?

• Advertisement

/shameless plug
    I've one for sale on Adverts if anyone's interested!

/shameless plug

I got mine in the states, Total inpulse buy. Is really handy for traveling! what i loved about it was its Size, Small but Powerfull. Never got around to set it up on xp, i'm trying to build a gaming rig, so thats why i'm selling it.

sale pulled at the last minute, boo!!!

if anyone is selling a 4G let me know. No one seems to have them in stock online.

edit: actually komplett seem to have them but 350 + delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭galway008

3G Broadband does work on the eee, I have mine working with 3. Bluetooth to a Nokia 6234 and then 3g onto Three's network. Was easy enough to get working.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

galway008 wrote: »
    3G Broadband does work on the eee, I have mine working with 3. Bluetooth to a Nokia 6234 and then 3g onto Three's network. Was easy enough to get working.

You have to be careful to make the distinction between 3G Broadband (i.e. the service) and the 3G Broadband modem (i.e. Vodafone modem, O2 modem).

I think the question was would the modem work. The service will work as long as you can get some 3G device to connect to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I was thinking of getting one of these, I've read through a bit of the thread but there's so many pages....

I've no experience with Linux, are there any immediate implications with it in comparison to the basic uses in windows? (Let's say, watching divx encoded files, etc, are all of the codecs available linux) I know OpenOffice is there, so that's perfectly OK. What's the gui like, similar to XP?

How do you install XP on an external sd?

Whats the integrated video like, what make is it? Obviously, I'm hardly expecting to run Crysis on it, but I'm just curious if it's relative to the cpu (like 32 or 64mb or some such or just as basic as is necessary like 16mb etc).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I was thinking of getting one of these, I've read through a bit of the thread but there's so many pages....

I've no experience with Linux, are there any immediate implications with it in comparison to the basic uses in windows? (Let's say, watching divx encoded files, etc, are all of the codecs available linux) I know OpenOffice is there, so that's perfectly OK. What's the gui like, similar to XP?

How do you install XP on an external sd?

Whats the integrated video like, what make is it? Obviously, I'm hardly expecting to run Crysis on it, but I'm just curious if it's relative to the cpu (like 32 or 64mb or some such or just as basic as is necessary like 16mb etc).

Its an integrated Intel 915 graphics chipset- with shared memory of 32Mb- not unlike a lot of laptops out there. I've overclocked the processor to a stable 1.2 Ghz (though it does murder the battery). There are two ways of doing this- with the leaked beta bios, and also with a tool for setting the FSB and fan speeds (the temperature guage is stuck at 55 degrees- this isn't a problem though).

VLC works fine- this decodes DIVX and all other codecs without any probs.

GUI is more similar to Mac OS than XP- with tabbed browsing of the desktop- but its very very easy to use.

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

I can confirm that the 3g usb modems provided by the likes of 3, O2 and vodafone work with the eeepc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

gahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I finally got sick and tired of expansys constantly delaying the eee pc, they say they have been having trouble getting them from Asus but I waited a month already. and canceled it and ordered a new 8gb one in the states

they really can't pump them out fast enough by the look of it. komplett is also out of stock most of the time except for surf models

I can confirm that the 3g usb modems provided by the likes of 3, O2 and vodafone work with the eeepc

Thanks count ,happy spanking !:)

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

a techy question...

can someone categorically state if the 4GB models are removable drives (2.5"?) or surface mount chips? ie, when SSD comes down in price in the future, i'd like to have the ability to upgrade the HDD.

thx

Surface mounted chips (4 x Samsung 1GB chips), theres no 2.5" drives in the EEEpc at all, nor is there an ide/sata connection to allow one.

• Advertisement

Is there any drawback to getting the 2G model and just using a large SD as storage? Like an 8GB/16GB card?

I'm thinking of access times etc. 2GB should be enough to run the OS, then keep the SD card plugged in all the time for downloads and MP3s.

Can't seem to find the 4G model anywhere so I was thinking of buying a 2G and getting an SD card.

quarryman wrote: »
    Is there any drawback to getting the 2G model and just using a large SD as storage? Like an 8GB/16GB card?

I'm thinking of access times etc. 2GB should be enough to run the OS, then keep the SD card plugged in all the time for downloads and MP3s.

Can't seem to find the 4G model anywhere so I was thinking of buying a 2G and getting an SD card.

Thats what we're doing with our two- no reprecussions.
    We had to reformat the larger capacity cards with FAT16, which wasn't the default, to get them recognised properly, but they're detected and working fine. Lag is minimal on access (they actually come in over the USB bus- rather than IDE).

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

It turns out that the 2G spec is considerably less than that of the 4G. Details here:
    http://www.pocketables.net/2008/02/10-reasons-not.html

You are better off going for the 4G.

sliabh wrote: »
    It turns out that the 2G spec is considerably less than that of the 4G. Details here:
    http://www.pocketables.net/2008/02/10-reasons-not.html

You are better off going for the 4G.

I've had a look at your link and it conflicts with what wikipedia says. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asus_eee

Also the link states the CPU is slower, not so from any of the websites I've seen selling it.

AFAIK the only difference in hardware is the 2GB less space.

Can anyone confirm this? I'll cancel my order with laptopsdirect if the 2G really is a stripped down version...

EDIT:
    cancelled my laptop direct order, I'm going to hold out for the 4G or maybe the 8G.

So the 4G ain't in stock anywhere? I'm willing to wait. Anyone know where the most reliable delivery indicator would be? Expansys says 6 days but I've no idea how many people have ordered and would therefore be ahead in the queue when they do arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

majiktripp wrote: »
    Surface mounted chips (4 x Samsung 1GB chips), theres no 2.5" drives in the EEEpc at all, nor is there an ide/sata connection to allow one.

So your stuck with 4GB...bummer. I've seen videos on youtube with an OS loaded onto a SD card.

thx for the reply.

quarryman wrote:

AFAIK the only difference in hardware is the 2GB less space.

Can anyone confirm this? I'll cancel my order with laptopsdirect if the 2G really is a stripped down version...

No- the 2GbSurf has no integrated webcam. The space and the webcam are the two differences.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭randombar

Fysh wrote: »
    Hey Gary, check out the eeeuser.com forums - the right guide for you will depend on how you want to install it and what you've got available; ie have you an external CD-ROM, are you installing to the internal hard drive or an external drive?

Lads I'm installing windows xp sp2 from mem stick to internal hd, getting an error when it is copying the installation files saying it's missing a few files bootvid.dll and a few more.

Read that this is because of the copy of windows I have but I dunno? I can find that file in the CD and all that??

Help PLEASE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭BendiBus

EDIT:
    cancelled my laptop direct order, I'm going to hold out for the 4G or maybe the 8G.

What made you change your mind? I'm still unsure what the differences are. And Laptops Direct are doing the 2Gb model for €248.44 which seems pretty good. All I want is internet access with a proper browser and the ability to read pdfs & office documents.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

http://www.engadget.com/photos/asus-shows-off-new-lineup-of-eee-pc-add-ons/671888/

Seems asus have a line up of add-ons now for the eeepc

Btw, I use a 4gb HDSD card for all my data files. I dont store any on the internal memory

• Advertisement

I spy a sexy looking graphics tablet!

Advertisement