Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asus EEE-PC

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Cina wrote:
    How does it run though?

Runs fine- it does take a good bit longer to boot than the pre-installed Linux, but it runs perfectly normal. The only issue I'd have is the preset screen resolutions.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

if you visit eeeUser there are lots of guides to installing XP and using custom resolutions..

And XP on eee is by no mean slow, for example an eee PC running Windows XP boots much faster than a 2000 euro HP notebook booting vista ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

conzymaher wrote: »
    if you visit eeeUser there are lots of guides to installing XP and using custom resolutions..

And XP on eee is by no mean slow, for example an eee PC running Windows XP boots much faster than a 2000 euro HP notebook booting vista ;)
    SSD will make any OS run much smoother, not to mention cutting out longer boot up times :D

Nick

yup :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

has anyone here managed to get the EEE going with an O2 mobile broadband usb modem E220 on xandros? I keep getting 7 bit errors ?

• Advertisement

zod wrote: »
    has anyone here managed to get the EEE going with an O2 mobile broadband usb modem E220 on xandros? I keep getting 7 bit errors ?

I haven't tried it with the o2 usb modem- it works fine with the vodafone one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

So I'm eyeing these up again. 330 for the black one with 4GB drive. Interestingly expansys are offering an 16GB SD card bundle for an extra 60GB which would seem like a good way to expand the HDD space.

So is it worth holding out for the new 8" screen? I haven't heard any more news on it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

quarryman wrote: »
    So I'm eyeing these up again. 330 for the black one with 4GB drive. Interestingly expansys are offering an 16GB SD card bundle for an extra 60GB which would seem like a good way to expand the HDD space.

So is it worth holding out for the new 8" screen? I haven't heard any more news on it.

It looks like expansys are trying to rip people off again, i just checked out the eee with the 16gb sd card, and it's the eee 700 with a 2gig ssd drive built in instead of a 4gig one. The price of the of the eee 700 without the card is 309, and with the card is 389, but to buy the 16gb card on it's own costs 70...so basically it's €10 more expensive than it should be. Madness!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Does anyone know if the included OS is easy to use and install software like vlc on?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Does anyone know if the included OS is easy to use and install software like vlc on?

I'm not sure what VLC is- but the O/S is a doddle to use. My wife thought she would want XP on it, but when she turned it on and saw the layout and how easy it was to use, she changed her mind. It boots in about 7 seconds- and everything just works. If not using wireless- turn off the adaptor- it does wonders for the battery life (i.e. it lasts about 4 times as long- I am not sure why the wireless adaptor is so power hungry).

• Advertisement

afaik you can apt-get most applications as its just some form of Xandros

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

You have to add extra repositories though. The one(s) specified in sources.list only have software designed for the EEE-PC. Its easy enough to do though. The website mentioned (EEE-PC User) has loads of great tutorials and helpful forums.

The backlog seems to be gone, Komplett have 100+ in stock

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Those ones in stock are US imports with a US keyboard layout. €10 cheaper than the regular version as thats not in stock at the mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

my laptop is dying a little bit and i'm really considering getting one of these during the summer. I know there will maybe be a new version out by then but what i'm wondering is, what would this be like for programming/web browsing/ media playing and the odd game of football manager? I think its the screen size i've the biggest worry about.

Vlc is only the most awesome media player of all time! Plays basically everything with out needing extra codecs!

my laptop is dying a little bit and i'm really considering getting one of these during the summer. I know there will maybe be a new version out by then but what i'm wondering is, what would this be like for programming/web browsing/ media playing and the odd game of football manager? I think its the screen size i've the biggest worry about.

Yes to all but footie manager...(unless you stick xp on it)
    Im sure these are fine laptops but theres still something holding me back from getting one....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

/ordered mine from expansys last week.

komplett only has the 'surf' ones left. the thing appears to be selling quite well :) in england they are giving them away for free if you sign a contract with o2

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Got mine last week from Play after about 3 weeks of waiting for stock to arrive. Black 4GB w/webcam. Really liking it, very happy with the default Xandros installation though I've played about with a couple of tweaks (adding a start menu, expanding to the full desktop mode rather than the default mode).

I'm tempted to try XP out on it more out of curiosity than anything else; ideally what I want is XP installed to a USB pendrive and not touching the internal disk at all. I tried to set this up yesterday without properly paying attention to the boot settings in the BIOS menu, meaning I had to recover from the DVD this morning :o Has anyone on here tried something similar and succeeded? (I know there's loads of forum posts and the like on the eeeuser.com site among others; I'm not looking for help with it, just curious as to whether anyone else is trying to use it in this way...)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭randombar

Lads just wondering where the best how to install xp is online?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Hey Gary, check out the eeeuser.com forums - the right guide for you will depend on how you want to install it and what you've got available; ie have you an external CD-ROM, are you installing to the internal hard drive or an external drive?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Ciaran B

I'm using a US EEE in Ireland. I'm using a maplin 45W UK to USA Voltage Convertor which works fine.

The only problem is that i can't fit it into the power sockets in work or in college because they're the type that are inside the desk so it won't fit.

Is there any adapter/power supply available that will plug into an Irish socket and into the eee directly?

Thanks in advance,

Ciarán

Check this out, quick google found it.
    http://www.expansys.ie/p.aspx?i=161599
    Also check the voltage on the supplied charger from US. Most US Laptops chargers are both 110v/240v capable, just check if yours is too and you can do away with the convertor! (but double/triple check first before plugging in!)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

the US charger takes our voltage with the only difference being that it has the US type pins.
    I'm using a US-UK adaptor and it works perfect. No need for a stepdown transformer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 P-mac

any updates on the 2nd gen version? Do people think it's worth holding off on the higher resolution screen (if it's reasonably priced) or just go with it as is? Laptops Direct's next order is tomorrow btw

What do you think of this version ?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=310023356910&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=021
    Touch screen installed for the price he's asking aint bad!

majiktripp wrote: »
    What do you think of this version ?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=310023356910&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=021
    Touch screen installed for the price he's asking aint bad!

No webcam?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

That's pretty cool, but pink????

Aye! I know for the G/f ...(!) but he has it in other colours too.

Also theres a black version with touchscreen and webcam for $470 + the 80 P&P.
    Edit : This one
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=310023869158&Category=114205&_trksid=p3907.m29

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Tricked

Pretty cool alright, a total of €550 would put me off though. The eeeuser forum has instructions on how to install the touch screen if you have any soldering experience I think.

Advertisement