Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asus EEE-PC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

At CeBit Asus were saying that the new screen had almost no impact on battery life so I doubt there will be much reduction. The accessory battery they advertised is a 6 cell one I believe. I have seen them on sale on EBay.

As for pricing, Asus seem to be selling them at the same price in Europe and the US. When I was looking at the 4G machine I got US prices of $399 (before sales tax) which is €270. Add on 21% vat and you get €325 which is pretty much what they were selling for in Ireland.

So I would guess that if Asus are saying $499 then we will start to see them at something similar here, or €333 before VAT, and €400 after.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Hey guys,

I ordered a black 4g with two 8gb sdhcs on expansys 3 weeks ago. Was originally due to ship in 5 days when thay had stock, but as most of you know, their stock ticker isn't very accurate as it seems to only show when they are due to receive shipment, not how many units, and not how many people have ordered ahead of you.

I'm tempted to cancel the order and get it elsewhere, but I've waited three weeks already so I don't want to feel like I've wasted this time.

Any recommendations? Any better deals out there I should order if I do cancel? Don't really want to use ebay but if other reputable dealers/ shops have it then I might be tempted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

Hey guys,

I ordered a black 4g with two 8gb sdhcs on expansys 3 weeks ago. Was originally due to ship in 5 days when thay had stock, but as most of you know, their stock ticker isn't very accurate as it seems to only show when they are due to receive shipment, not how many units, and not how many people have ordered ahead of you.

I'm tempted to cancel the order and get it elsewhere, but I've waited three weeks already so I don't want to feel like I've wasted this time.

Any recommendations? Any better deals out there I should order if I do cancel? Don't really want to use ebay but if other reputable dealers/ shops have it then I might be tempted.

I ordered the the 4GB one from www.laptopsdirect.ie http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Asus_Eee_PC_701_Black_EPC701B/version.asp on the 24th March. It said on the site 2-7 days. I waited until yesterday and phoned them. They said probably next week before they got delivery. I then read about the new 900 series coming soon so I cancelled my order.
    I have also bought the 8gb SDHC Card and 2gb RAM, but I am going to wait for the new model now.

moz

moz wrote: »
    I ordered the the 4GB one from www.laptopsdirect.ie http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Asus_Eee_PC_701_Black_EPC701B/version.asp on the 24th March. It said on the site 2-7 days. I waited until yesterday and phoned them. They said probably next week before they got delivery. I then read about the new 900 series coming soon so I cancelled my order.
    I have also bought the 8gb SDHC Card and 2gb RAM, but I am going to wait for the new model now.

moz

The next shipment of stock in 9 days, so I guess I'll wait til then and see if they get enough stock. After that I'll decide whether to wait for the new model or not. It's due some time in May, right? I planned on having a chance to play with it for a few months before the summer, but in reality I'm now crossing my fingers to have something by September when I go back to college.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

The next shipment of stock in 9 days, so I guess I'll wait til then and see if they get enough stock. After that I'll decide whether to wait for the new model or not. It's due some time in May, right? I planned on having a chance to play with it for a few months before the summer, but in reality I'm now crossing my fingers to have something by September when I go back to college.

komplett have some in stock, the 4gb model. Well they say they have stock.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=345852

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

sweet!

The only black ones they have are US keyboards. is there much difference other than that?

quarryman wrote: »
    sweet!

The only black ones they have are US keyboards. is there much difference other than that?

yeah,
    The keys are 29% fatter :D

bah seems like the US ones are "Surf"s. So no webcam and poorer battery:

From Wiki:

The Eee PC Surf models include the 4400 mAh battery pack and no webcam, while the non-Surf models have the 5700 mAh battery pack and a webcam installed.

Nope, definitely don't want the surf edition.

But with offers like this, I'm more and more tempted to tell expansys to shag off.

I prefer the white one. I think it looks bit better but suppose that subjective.

the SD card link looks very very good, The only difference then is whether i want to wait for the new model???

• Advertisement

chris85 wrote: »
    I prefer the white one. I think it looks bit better but suppose that subjective.

the SD card link looks very very good, The only difference then is whether i want to wait for the new model???

From what I can tell it's due in May. Anyone know how accurate this is?

If so, who's likely to stock it (and will we have the same stock issues). To be honest, my experience with expansys up until now was great and I got other stuff from them before no problem. I don't think it's really their fault.

Also anyone know where i may be able to see one of these and hopefully get a working demo???

laptop shop in stephen's green had them a while back.

anyone get one from ebay. I cancelled my laptop-direct order and NO WHERE seems to have them in stock so was gonna get one from one of the recommended sellers on ebay, based in Taiwan.

PC World had the 2G Surf for €299 last time I was in there.
    Not really up to it though.

i think the laptop shop had the 2G for €330!

i think the laptop shop had the 2G for €330!
    The one in Stephens green had the 4G for €330 back in January. Last week I talked to the guys in their Dundrum shop (where they had the black 2G). They wanted €330 for the 2G, and said the 4G would be about €390 when they got it at the end of the month!

that must be the most expensive price in Europe, nay, the world!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

So is there a "best" place to pick one of these up in Dublin?
    Probably mentioned already, but this thread is BIG.

I'm not sure there are any other bricks and mortars other than laptop-shop. you could try PC world and Maplin.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure there are any other bricks and mortars other than laptop-shop. you could try PC world and Maplin.
    I saw the 2G surf in Dixons in the Jervis centre, and there was mention earlier in the thread of a place in Clonskeagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭fisab

I saw a preview of the new model quoting a rrp of €399 for Europe (dont know if that includes VAT).
    If that pricing extends to Ireland (and that could be a big IF), then its seems better value than the current pricing of the 4G.

well my 4g has dispatched from has dispatched from taiwan and cost me €308 including delivery so if the 901 is €450 i'll still be happy.

considering the shortages on the 701 I reckon the 901 will be worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

well my has dispatched from 4G has dispatched from taiwan and cost me €308 including delivery so if the 901 is €450 i'll still be happy.

considering the shortages on the 701 I reckon the 901 will be worse.

You're in danger there of getting stung for more money by customs though, surely?

fingers crossed!! I've heard mixed reports of people getting done for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

fingers crossed!! I've heard mixed reports of people getting done for it.

Ah yeah, I hope you've no problems - best of luck with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

fisab wrote: »
    I saw a preview of the new model quoting a rrp of €399 for Europe (dont know if that includes VAT).
    If that pricing extends to Ireland (and that could be a big IF), then its seems better value than the current pricing of the 4G.

Not to intrude but did you see this price quoted by an Asus rep? I've seen a €399 ex VAT Europe price from two. Test units next week apparently. I'm excited to get a hands on.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

BanzaiBk wrote: »
    Not to intrude but did you see this price quoted by an Asus rep? I've seen a €399 ex VAT Europe price from two. Test units next week apparently. I'm excited to get a hands on.

Where are you getting test units from?
    I'll give my right arm to borrow one!!!!
    Please???

BanzaiBk wrote: »

Would you maybe take some good pics or something up. Or you could invite us all around to oogle over the new one??? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

smccarrick wrote: »
    Where are you getting test units from?
    I'll give my right arm to borrow one!!!!
    Please???
    From Asus, it's like a media test unit I guess. The people I work for are getting one and we'll test it in the office and stuff. I don't think anyone bar the editor will be allowed to bring it out of the office. Honestly I don't even know if I'll be allowed to do anything bar look at it myself.

Advertisement