Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

They speak English in London?? WTF

Options
13»

Comments

Naikon wrote: »
    She told me how she thought it was very strange that Irish people don't actually speak Irish

That's a very fair question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Myth wrote: »
    That's a very fair question.

Fair enough, I guess it's not the worst question to ask.
    I just assume that people read up about their intended destination before departing.
    Travel guides ftw!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Naikon wrote: »
    She told me how she thought it was very strange that Irish people don't actually speak Irish.

I was also asked that when I lived in america. The person was genuinely shocked when I said it was my first language.

I was also asked about electricity in Ireland and if everyone had it. Of course I replied that only the east coast has it so far as it's closest to England! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

daveirl wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I'd say Crowder is pissing himself laughing at the reaction to his comments. He is a notorious (as the Americans would say) smartass.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I love when Americans say 'OH MY GOD, my friend Michael lives in Ireland, do you know him??'

Oooh, or 'Top o the mornin to ya'...I'll top your morning now if you don't shut up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

daveirl wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    Fair enough - his ploy worked a triumph around these parts, but things as stupid as that have been said. George W. Bush anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

She told me how she thought it was very strange that Irish people don't actually speak Irish.
    Sounds like she actually knows the difference between Irish and english, I've heard the following too many times (from mainland europeans and a UK person);

"Oh yeah Irish isn't that a dialect of english? ",
    "Wow I understood a lot of that movie that was in Irish, it sounds a bit like English" (A UK girl told everyone at a film club that intermission was as gaelige),
    "Wow Irish sounds so much like english".

I have also been asked by a french and a dutch guy (at different times)*:
    "Do you have an Irish accent? "

*around the time I was asked this, I was always getting stick from germans and austrians for my accent and speed when talking. So I was asked that before I managed to slow down and change my pronounciation (months later).

• Registered Users Posts: 81,963 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Irish people can be silly too: i was just asked today if Los Angeles was in New York.

Point being lotsa people are geographically challeneged.

And to be absolutely fair - they really dont speak english in London. its become some devolved form of language full of Bruvahs and nuffinks and chavs

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Crania

When I was in America during the summer, I was asked "do you guys have colleges over there", I replied with "No, we all go to the US for our education. Then a person from the same family asked me if we have SUVs, I said we just drive tractors. I think they knew I was ripping the piss at that stage.

And that was Connecticut, a supposedly intelligent state on the East Coast, not some red-neck state.

Although in fairness they're not as stupid as the rest of the world makes them out to be. But in general of all the nationalities I've met, they are certainly among the stupidiest. But I think they play along to the stereostype to a certain extent aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,963 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Myth wrote: »

Would you not give the guy in a suit holding a mic and waving a camera in your face a little open-mindedness?
    Folks General Knowledge and and Intelliegence are two different things. For fook sake cant believe there is even an argument here. I am in the states 4-5 times a year and have met folks who know fook all about Europe some even dont understand the fact that Europe is made up off many countries.

There is alot of ignorance out there but it is a lack of ignorance to certain things. I once went to school with a girl in my class who didnt know where Wales was and she is now in Trinity College does this make her an idiot??

There are many Irish folk who wouldnt know American geography if it jumped up and bit them in fairness well unless you are talking about New York or Boston so folks give it a rest.

QFT. +1.
    CoolCiaran wrote: »
    When I was in America during the summer, I was asked "do you guys have colleges over there", I replied with "No, we all go to the US for our education. Then a person from the same family asked me if we have SUVs, I said we just drive tractors. I think they knew I was ripping the piss at that stage.

And that was Connecticut, a supposedly intelligent state on the East Coast, not some red-neck state.

Although in fairness they're not as stupid as the rest of the world makes them out to be. But in general of all the nationalities I've met, they are certainly among the stupidiest. But I think they play along to the stereostype to a certain extent aswell.

Unless you know where to look in america its hard to find information on the rest of the world. I was in school there up to the age of 12 and from a world PoV we never looked at anything beyond the country border: we just knew that Canada was up and to never go south lest you get killed by a mysterious airborne disease :rolleyes:

to be fair to americans, I think we should be taken away from the country, educated in europe and then sent back to realise the mess that the place has been run in for so long.

• Advertisement
Advertisement