Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

They speak English in London?? WTF

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

In fairness to the guy he's a professional RugbyforPussys player so he's probably taken a few hits to the head over the years.

Once he can remember to occasionally wash his jockstrap and stand in the right direction during the big game then he's fulfilling his obligation to the human race. Collection of trivia is not his responsibility.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

The-Rigger wrote: »
    He might of made it. Nice one John. :D

Might have...
    As for OP: that's very shocking...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Give the guy a break. I was in London recently and nearly everyone was speaking Indian. Very few people I saw around were speaking English.

Indian? Never heard of that language...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭tampopo

Yeah,

back in the '80's, Walter Manley, a player with the Washington Redskins, graduated college, got drafted, played many years with the Redskins, late 20's, etc etc...couldn't read or write.

In 1994, I was living in San Francisco and at a party, a girl from San Luis Obispo, a town in southern California, commended me on my level of English. I just said 'thanks', but I heard her shreik with embarrassment a few mins later when it was explained to her we were native English speakers.

It's not just internal to America that yankees are naive. It's very much an introverted country as regards world news. Rare is the news report beyond the local tv network coverage area. Lots of 'Cat Stuck in Tree' news reports by the local news teams.

I'd love to learn Latin before I visit Latin America (with thanks to Dan Qualye)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

bluewolf wrote: »
    Might have
    What are you talking about? It's "might of went" - as in "they might of went home." ;)
    I used to do some work as a sub-editor - actual journalists submitted gems like the above.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

uglyjohn wrote: »
    it had to be done....
    Get out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

Harpy wrote: »
    yea ok its ignorant not knowing that they speak...but the the links given for the videos on you tube are a total joke..have any of yee seen the other videos from that 'news' programme..its funny but they are all clearly bull if u even just look at the stories at the bottom of the video and what they say one says 'chicken dissapointed by the other side of the road' and another says 'red cross decide womens blood isn't good enough'...
    although they are very amusing at the same time..
    The video clips are from a spoof news show that was produced by the "Chaser" comedy group in Australia. If their name sounds familiar, they managed to breach a huge ring of steel at a recent APEC Pacific conference by getting within a stonesthrow of the hotel Bush was staying in with one of them dressed up as Bin Laden!

There's a recent clip of them managing to convince some Americans that all the major landmarks of the world are in Australia - including Mount Rushmore! :D I'll see if I can track it down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

iguana wrote: »
    I guess you aren't aware that there is no such language as Indian. Indian people speak a variety of languages, Hindi and Urdu being the most common. With different regional languages such as as Gujerati and Punjabi.

Dammit and i've been learning Indian for months now, the same people are supposed to teach me American too. They really saw me coming........eh :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

If you read between the lines it's as if he continues talking to prove he is really really stupid, what in fact he is really saying is I live in America and the rest of the world doesn't matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

Myth wrote: »

thats great!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Doesn't know his ar*e from his elbow.;)

Dammit and i've been learning Indian for months now, the same people are supposed to teach me American too. They really saw me coming........eh :(

I wouldn't worry about it, most people couldn't tell the difference between Urdu & bengalli anyway, pass the popadums le do thoil ;)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I think Americans are highly intelligent, more so, in fact, than us. They use a form of sarcasm so subtle that we don't even pick up on it. We then say "Are you being sarcastic or just stupid?" and they reply "What is sarcastic?" with a devillish glint in their eyes.

Not knowing what they speak in London - brilliant. It's some degenerate form of cockney, or so I believe.

I
    Not knowing what they speak in London - brilliant. It's some degenerate form of cockney, or so I believe.

http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/estuary/

Estuary English is a name given to the form(s) of English widely spoken in and around London and, more generally, in the southeast of England — along the river Thames and its estuary. On this website we hope to bring together as many documents as possible that relate to Estuary English, as a convenient resource for the many interested enquirers.

ya no' wo' a mean!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

That article includes more of Channing Crowder's "thoughts" on England.

I knew a girl in high school who, when I told her I was going to England, asked me if I was going to learn their language so I could talk to them. She wasn't joking. I told her, yes I'd been studying all year in preparation for my trip.

This doesn't really tally with the OP's post. What has he been learning all year if he only found out Tuesday that it's English? :confused:

Maybe the penny will drop now. :rolleyes:

Slow coach wrote: »
    This doesn't really tally with the OP's post. What has he been learning all year if he only found out Tuesday that it's English? :confused:

Dropped ages ago, just 'aving a bit of fun wiv it, know wo' a mean :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I apologize, I didn't make my post clear enough. I posted a link to the article, explaining that it had even more quotes on the subject from Mr. Crowder.

Then I relayed a personal experience I had with a girl in high school who said something similar. Hope it makes sense now ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

londonistan ftw

I apologize, I didn't make my post clear enough. I posted a link to the article, explaining that it had even more quotes on the subject from Mr. Crowder.

Then I relayed a personal experience I had with a girl in high school who said something similar. Hope it makes sense now ;)

Ah, I see now. Yes, it's all your fault. :p

My point still stands; he graduated with a 3.5 GPA in Social and Behavioral Sciences.

Some people think all Americans are retarded, and some (Miss Goody Two Shoes) think he's an imbecile.

• Advertisement

MooseJam wrote: »
    londonistan ftw

+1 :D

My point still stands; he graduated with a 3.5 GPA in Social and Behavioral Sciences.

Some people think all Americans are retarded, and some (Miss Goody Two Shoes) think he's an imbecile.
    Thanks! :)
    I know (Washington Redskins linebacker) London Fletcher. We did a football camp together. So I know him. That's the closest thing I know to London."

His Dolphins teammate Marvin Allen hails from the European capital, but Crowder continued to profess ignorance when asked about Allen's hometown.

"I knew he was from over there because he talks funny. I was surprised (when we met) because — I don't want to say he didn't look the part because that's a stereotype — but he didn't look the part. I heard him talk, and I thought he had a recorder and was just mouthing."
    That's why I referred to him as an imbecile - fair enough no?

Dudess wrote: »
    That's why I referred to him as an imbecile - fair enough no?

If you think a guy who can score 30 on the wonderlic test is an imbecile, fair enough, otherwise no.

If you didn't know that about him then shame on you for calling someone an imbecile without actually knowing anything about them.

Maybe something's gone over my head - it happens.
    Your "point still stands"? That reads as if you already made the point in question.
    If you think a guy who can score 30 on the wonderlic test is an imbecile
    I'm lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Folks General Knowledge and and Intelliegence are two different things. For fook sake cant believe there is even an argument here. I am in the states 4-5 times a year and have met folks who know fook all about Europe some even dont understand the fact that Europe is made up off many countries.

There is alot of ignorance out there but it is a lack of ignorance to certain things. I once went to school with a girl in my class who didnt know where Wales was and she is now in Trinity College does this make her an idiot??

There are many Irish folk who wouldnt know American geography if it jumped up and bit them in fairness well unless you are talking about New York or Boston so folks give it a rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,309 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Steyr wrote: »
    The Miami Dolphins are play the New York Giants at Wembley
    Ah, the ironing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

daveirl wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

But I want it to be true!! Although, Americans are kind of removed from the rest of the world so I bet a lot of Americans would be the same. It's just not something that's important to learn in school. And of course the majority of Americans are not idiots. (See how politically correct I can be?? :D)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

JC 2K3 wrote: »

Thats class:D

I was walking home from college the other day, when this American women came up to me and asked me for directions to the National Museum.
    She told me how she thought it was very strange that Irish people don't actually speak Irish.

I had to laugh though when she asked directions to the nearest "subway".
    Ahhh, the ignorance of not knowing where their own country is located on a map:D

Advertisement