Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

They speak English in London?? WTF

Options
  • 27-10-2007 12:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/skynews/20071026/tuk-nfl-star-they-speak-english-in-londo-45dbed5.html

By Sky News SkyNews - Friday, October 26 11:56 amMiami Dolphins linebacker Channing Crowder has admitted not knowing people speak English in London.

The NFL player might want to check a map before he gets on board a plane for Sunday's prestige game against the New York Giants at Wembley Stadium.

Crowder, who comes from Atlanta in Georgia, may be praised on the field, but confessed geography was not his strong point.

He admitted he did not know until now where London was - or that Londoners spoke English.

"I couldn't find London on a map if they didn't have the names of the countries," he said.

"I swear to God. I don't know what nothing is. I know Italy looks like a boot. I learned that."

Crowder added: "I know (Washington Redskins linebacker) London Fletcher. We did a football camp together. So I know him.

"That's the closest thing I know to London. He's black, so I'm sure he's not from London. I'm sure that's a coincidental name."

The Miami Dolphins are play the New York Giants at Wembley this Sunday in the first NFL regular-season game to be played outside the United States.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Steyr wrote: »
    "I don't know what nothing is."

Might help explain it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Is this going to be yet another "dumb American" bashing thread?

What does he have to care about geography for anyway?
    He's a talented athlete, media celebrity, most likely rich and a physique most people would kill for.
    Skill and dedication got him there.

Bash him all you want OP, I admire the guy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

s this going to be yet another "dumb American" bashing thread?
    Lets have a dumb, overpaid guy-who-runs-good-ma thread instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

micmclo wrote: »

He's a talented athlete, media celebrity, most likely rich and a physique most people would kill for.

It's truly pathetic....and this is the type of person that American society has glorified and made role models out of. Shameful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

Generally, Americans are pretty retarded. Statistics have shown this. So I'm really not surprised when I hear all of these stories about Americans not knowing answers to very very simple questions.

Common questions that most Americans can't answer are:

Where is America on a map?
    Is the earth flat?
    Does the sun revolve around the earth?
    How old is the earth?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

its almost as bad as the time an american guy saw a picture of a london highstreet (probably oxford street) with varying nationalities and wrote "there are black people in england, well i never knew that"

Their media rib on us every chance they get, so much so that when i was over there in 1999 and a girl asked me what i was doing in ireland and i said studying for a business degree, she laughed and said, "why would you need a business degree in ireland, there isn't even any towns, cities or roads there, just fields"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Naw, he deserves a bashing for being THAT much of a dumbf*ck. A little idiocy I'd forget about, but that level of stupidity definitely warrants major abuse. There's really no justification for your thinking outside the box.
    Thickest quote of all:
    "I know (Washington Redskins linebacker) London Fletcher. We did a football camp together. So I know him.

"That's the closest thing I know to London. He's black, so I'm sure he's not from London. I'm sure that's a coincidental name."
    rossie1977 wrote:
    its almost as bad as the time an american guy saw a picture of a london highstreet (probably oxford street) with varying nationalities and wrote "there are black people in england, well i never knew that"
    It's not "almost as bad", it's WAY worse. I'd forgive an American not knowing there were black people in England - it's dumb, but nowhere near as dumb as the footballer guy.

How old is the earth? I for one haven't a notion...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Steyr wrote: »
    The Miami Dolphins are play the New York Giants at Wembley this Sunday in the first NFL regular-season game to be played outside the United States.

Apparently they don't.

Dudess wrote: »

How old is the earth? I for one haven't a notion...

about 4.5 billion years according to scientists or about 7,000 years old according to creationists :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Get a hotel room LOL

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GerryRyan

Ha, just reminded me of the clip a while back. Basically a TV crew was interviewing a load of passers by - handing them a map and asking where America should invade next. The majority of them just started pointed at random countrys in the southern hemisphere and asked where 'the Iraq' was ... all jokes aside, I really fear for the worlds future.

<edit - http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=4rEPWpv5m9I >

It's often not stupidity, just ignorance due to not needing to look beyond America (similar to a lot of Cork people :)).
    However, this footballer clearly is an imbecile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

Give the guy a break. I was in London recently and nearly everyone was speaking Indian. Very few people I saw around were speaking English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GerryRyan

It's often not stupidity, just ignorance due to not needing to look beyond America (similar to a lot of Cork people :)).

And there-in lies the problem. Not one person (in that clip) stopped to ask, "why should we 'invade' another country?". That should be a cause for concern in itself.
    The trigger-happy, 'patriotic' mind-set over there goes beyond ignorance. And no I'm not making some grand generalisations, that's how it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Photi

ThatGuy wrote: »
    Ha, just reminded me of the clip a while back. Basically a TV crew was interviewing a load of passers by - handing them a map and asking where America should invade next. The majority of them just started pointed at random countrys in the southern hemisphere and asked where 'the Iraq' was ... all jokes aside, I really fear for the worlds future.

<edit - http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=4rEPWpv5m9I >

Oh aye, pick a few randomers off the street in Dublin city centre on any given Saturday and I'm sure you'd be astounded by the level of intelligence that is shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7379630

That article includes more of Channing Crowder's "thoughts" on England.

I knew a girl in high school who, when I told her I was going to England, asked me if I was going to learn their language so I could talk to them. She wasn't joking. I told her, yes I'd been studying all year in preparation for my trip.
    There were other great moments in high school too. I took a Marine Biology class once, and one of the cheerleaders stopped the class one day to announce that, "Oh my gawd - all the ocean of the world are, like, connected!"
    You don't have to look hard to find uneducated people in the US. But there are smart people as well. I'm in grad school in Boston now, and I know many Americans who are cultured and well educated. They don't make for very entertaining headlines though.

Give the guy a break. I was in London recently and nearly everyone was speaking Indian. Very few people I saw around were speaking English.
    Are you serious??!! London is the capital of ENGLAND and he didn't know that people speak English there! The fact that London is multicultural isn't the point.

london is probably the most multicultural city in the world. Over 300 languages are spoken by london schoolchildren, that is far greater than the roughly 170 languages spoken in NY. But i am sure our american footballer friend knows all about these facts already :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

Are you serious??!! London is the capital of ENGLAND and he didn't know that people speak English there! The fact that London is multicultural isn't the point.

Totally serious. Who knew they spoke English over there :confused:

I'm off to learn American for my trip to NewYork next year. ;)

:D
    Yeah, I'd love to learn a bit of Mexican at some stage...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Stupid person in stupid statement shock-horror

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I admire him too, the thick ignorant fúcker.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

it had to be done....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

uglyjohn wrote: »
    it had to be done....

Ha ha. I've never seen that one before.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

He might of made it. Nice one John. :D

Thie reminds me of the story of an American sailor arriving in Naples, he rushes back to the ship and announces, "hey guys they sell Pizza here!" :D

I know the feeling, a few years ago I returned from Islamabad, landed at Heathrow, went on the tube, then a train to Northampton, amazingly I was next to asians (Pakistanis & indians) for the entire journey, they were staff at the airport, working at Immigration, staff on the tube, staff at the railway stations, ticket collector and finally taxi driver. Not forgetting the passengers I was sharing the tube & train with.

Coincidence, yes! but strange all the same.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I guess you aren't aware that there is no such language as Indian. Indian people speak a variety of languages, Hindi and Urdu being the most common. With different regional languages such as as Gujerati and Punjabi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Harpy

yea ok its ignorant not knowing that they speak...but the the links given for the videos on you tube are a total joke..have any of yee seen the other videos from that 'news' programme..its funny but they are all clearly bull if u even just look at the stories at the bottom of the video and what they say one says 'chicken dissapointed by the other side of the road' and another says 'red cross decide womens blood isn't good enough'...
    although they are very amusing at the same time..

Advertisement