Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping/Bargain Alerts In Sligo Town/County (Merged)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

What is it about shop assistants in Sligo that they treat customers with complete disregard and contempt? I was in Halfords today with my brother looking for an item which I couldn't find. He asked an 'assistant' who took a cursory look down the shelf and said, "If it's not there we don't have it," and walked off. :mad:

In Home Store and More, I was looking for an item and asked an 'assistant' for help. He took one look and said, "That's not my department," and walked off. :mad:

Is it any wonder that more and more of us are shopping in Enniskillen, where the shop assistants actually care about their customers. Do shop assistants in Sligo actually receive any training? I doubt it very much.

Oh, and all the motor factors were closed, too. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭waterboy15

If we knew what you were looking for we might be of assistance, oh and its not just a Sligo thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,833 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Poor customer service is hardly limited to Sligo..

.. I've suffered poor customer service all over the world.

It's not the place - it's the people! ;)

waterboy15 wrote: »
    If we knew what you were looking for we might be of assistance, oh and its not just a Sligo thing.

I asked for a specific item in both shops.

Basq wrote: »
    Poor customer service is hardly limited to Sligo..

.. I've suffered poor customer service all over the world.

It's not the place - it's the people! ;)

I find it especially and exceptionally bad in Sligo, always have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

I find it especially and exceptionally bad everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

genie wrote: »
    Maybe it's partially the customers fault so! :rolleyes:
    Cant say I've ever had an experience in Sligo any worse than anywhere else.

I wasn't rude and I find Sligo particularly bad customer service wise. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I can cover a lot of business miles and I find it exceptionally good in Sligo.

I stand by what I say. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I will definitely have to agree wit you re Halfords, they are gormless idiots from my experience

• Registered Users Posts: 43,833 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I've had mixed experiences in Halfords..

.. was looking at bikes and one guy was extremely helpful... but was looking for wiper blades for my car another time and got one of the more ignorant staff members.

Luck of the draw really!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭johnire

Halfords in Sligo is the worst place I have EVER had the misfortune to shop in.
    I had a terrible experience when buying a bike there 4 years ago...the Manager was incredibily rude so bad in fact that it prompted me to write to their Customer Services Dept in the UK.
    I have never stood in the store since that day and never will!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Razleavy

Current manager in Halfords is probably one of the nicest people you can meet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

I've only ever been in Halfords in Sligo a couple of times, but found them helpful enough whenever I was there.

I was in it last weekend when I was driving my brother's van down to Sligo and the radio went mental from enniskillen onwards, had to listen to static the whole way because I couldn't get it turned off. I had enough of it by the time I got to Carroroe so I pulled in a bought a screwdriver in Halfords, the girl behind the counter was helpful and even let me take the screwdriver out to the van to see if it was the right size.

When I came back in, what looked like the manager gave me a nice greeting at the door and asked if I needed any more assistance. Not sure it it's like that all the time, but it was good then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

I agree. I've bought quite a few things in Halfords since they came to Sligo and can only speak well of all the staff I've dealt with there. Approachable, helpful and mannerly.
    (BTW no connection with them or any of their staff)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I've always found the Halfords staff helpful. Harry Corry's staff are very helpful as well.
    I remember a few years back and customer service is Sligo wasn't great at all so it's nice to see an improvement.
    I used to find the shops in Eniskillen great for customer service but the last two trips to Asda the staff weren't helpful at all.

I bought a replacement bulb in Halfords for my front headlight about 6 weeks ago. I was replacing it myself in the car park and had a problem getting the whole lighting unit to slide out. One of the lads from Halfords appears from nowhere with the required tool and loosens the unit for me. Before I can blink, he fits the bulb and slides the unit back into place. He refused my offer of payment and off he went. Considering I was fitting it myself and expected no help, that was pretty excellent customer service imo.

I stand by what I say regarding the 'assistants' Halfords and Home Store and More and every time I have been in ASDA, I have found the staff extremely helpful and friendly, a direct contrast to Sligo. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭johnire

Razleavy wrote: »
    Current manager in Halfords is probably one of the nicest people you can meet!
    Then obviously the email I sent to their Customer Services Section was acted upon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭loki7777

I was in Halfords today with my brother looking for an item which I couldn't find. He asked an 'assistant' who took a cursory look down the shelf and said, "If it's not there we don't have it," and walked off. :mad:

But what were you expecting? That he will go to another shop and bring it for you? If it isn't on the shelf(where it should be) than it means it's gone - easy like that. Don't expect to much from normal people - sometimes i think that some customers are thinking they are Masters and we are their servants. But actually you are not the only one who is waiting for assistance(as well as we have other jobs to do), they don't pay us for chating with customers.

loki7777 wrote: »
    But what were you expecting? That he will go to another shop and bring it for you? If it isn't on the shelf(where it should be) than it means it's gone - easy like that. Don't expect to much from normal people - sometimes i think that some customers are thinking they are Masters and we are their servants. But actually you are not the only one who is waiting for assistance(as well as we have other jobs to do), they don't pay us for chating with customers.

Don't they have a stock room, which he could have checked? He also could have offered to order one in for me and retain me as a customer. He didn't check and he didn't offer and as a result I will be shopping elsewhere. Oh, and the shop wasn't exactly heaving with customers! :)

Usually if something is in the shop it is on shelves.
    Maybe he could but he didn't that the only mistake that he made. But when i mention about other jobs i didn't meant other customers - there is stockroom to clean/tidy, delivery to unpack for example.
    No comment about Home Store & More - because they should be trained and know what to do in situation like this.
    But at the end we are only people and all of us have bad days:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I am assuming you work for halords.

From my experience as someone in the motor trade, the staff, and I may be generalising here, really do not have a clue.

The bicycle side of the shop from what I have heard always had better ratings.

There is one member of staff there and she has one of the worst attitudes I have ever encountered in any shop.

No, i'm not.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭ge_ch

A few months ago I went into the bicycle shop behind quayside with the intension of buying a bicycle. I got a friendly hello but nobody came near me. So I went up to the sales assistant and started asking a few questions that he answered but at the end he told me to come back in two months when the new models arrive. He had no interest in selling me any of the models in the shop. Didn't even ask if I liked any of them or if I wanted to try one. He was very friendly but obviously not interested in sales.
    I did buy a bicycle, a few days later, in another shop:D

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Gipo3

That is gary cycles. Strange place I must say. I don't know how they do business with their attitude. They were probably waiting for new bikes so they would be asking full price.

This thread seems to be morphing into a customer services thread I fear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I've bought a few bikes in Gary's before and always had good service

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Victory9999

UrbanSea wrote: »
    I've bought a few bikes in Gary's before and always had good service

I found it a bit expensive..

Advertisement