Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old People At Atm Machines

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

get so respect ?

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Scoobydoobydoo

roughan wrote: »
    why does every old person take AGES at a bank machine only to print out
    a statement and walk off
    was at one yesterday when it start beeping and flashing at the old deer
    saying "DO YOU WANT MORE TIME" and she turned around to me and told me it must be broken !!!! :)

Most old people have been using account books for years, and have been happy to stick with that method. I believe recently, some banks have decided to do away with the books, thus forcing all account holders to use atm cards.
    Therefore, there are bound to be many elderly customers using atms for the first time, who aren't used to technology at all.

This aside, old people are slower at everything generally, all of their senses tend to fade, which is to be expected, and they are entitled to a bit of patience and respect from everyone else - you appear to be lacking in both, especially if you feel the need to post about it!

You sound very intolerant and mean, and I hope nobody treats you in such a manner when you are old, which believe it or not, will happen.

I'm sure you wouldn't like it if board users came on here just to have a jibe at your inability to punctuate your mean, ageist post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

I'm sure most of the old people are as good at using the ATMs as most of the so called whizz kids here are at basic spelling.... fcukin appalling.

Oh the irony! you spelt fucking wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

Those stupid AIB ATM's take ages for everyone:
    "Please insert and remove your card for service"
    <Insert and remove card>
    "Your card could not be read"
    <Repeat more slowly>
    "Your card could not be read"
    <Repeat at snails pace>
    "Key in your number"
    Why can't they just take in the card and hold onto it until the transaction is completed like other ATM's do, so annoying! :mad:

Have you ever wanted to use the loo in a restaurant where a tour bus full of elderly Americans have just stopped for lunch?
    Little old lady takes at least 5 mins in cubicle then emerges and says she couldn't find the handle to flush the toilet. Her friend waiting says "You push the little button on the top Dorothy, it's just like the toilets in Berlin", so Dorothy slowly turns back around heading for cubicle. Her friend says "That's OK, I'll get it, you get on out and have a rest" but oh no, Dorothy insists "I couldn't possibly let you in there Mary-Lynn until I've flushed it!". Cue another five minutes of fumbling until her shaky fingers have pushed both of the little buttons a few times, then another five mins plus while Mary-Lynn uses the bog then manoeuvres herself and her stick back out again.
    Aaaaaagh! :mad:
    I'd have given up but small children gotta go when they gotta go. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I'm all for respecting old people, and I understand that for many of them using an ATM can be a challenge, so it's fair enough if they take a little extra time.

However, my tolerance of this is cancelled out by the old people who insist on taking up two freaking seats on the bus - one for themselves and one for their shopping bag, which, in fairness, contains nothing but other shopping bags and wads of fifties from the ATM because, as it turns out, they don't even trust banks to keep their money.

I paid for my freaking seat, woman, neither you nor your bag did. Move it!!

Sorry, off topic, rant over!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Disagree OP. I have had to teach people IT from scratch and whats simple to you because you aged with it is a huge obstacle to others. In fact these older people should be respected for trying to move with the times, IMO.
    What does make my blood boil at ATMs is people my age or younger, who should really know better, holding the queue up. Especially the multi card gits.

SDooM wrote: »
    Disagree OP. I have had to teach people IT from scratch and whats simple to you because you aged with it is a huge obstacle to others. In fact these older people should be respected for trying to move with the times, IMO.
    What does make my blood boil at ATMs is people my age or younger, who should really know better, holding the queue up. Especially the multi card gits.

I've never seen anyone using a few different cards at ATMs but I totally agree that younger people really should know better. I can check my balance and withdraw money in well less than a minute. I mean, if you can manage to send 15 texts in the space of 2 minutes, then an ATM shouldn't be a problem, right?

I also agree that many older people should be respected for trying new things. I worked with a woman who couldn't have been more than 45 and could not figure out the basic computer ordering system. I mean basic in that all you needed to do was use numbers, return, and the down arrow. So imagine what it's like for a 75 year old to figure out an ATM!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

most people have not idea about atm's.

in the square in tallaght about 5 in front of me, was waiting what seemed like 20 minutes id say.

when it was my turn, i was about 30 seconds and walked off, people behind me were looking at me like i was an alien.

women are particularly bad, some of them i have seen take out a wad of cards, bank of ireland, check. ulster bank , check. aib, check....lazer card......
    check.!

honest to god. if you cant see text on an atm you need an eye test.

they really are quite simple.

>

1) insert card
    2) enter pin > you know this dont you?
    3) enter amount to withdraw..

NO FIVERS!!!! and no tenners either sometimes.......;)

usually in 20s or 50s.

4) dont bother with a receipt

4a) dont forget your card now

5) go shopping

total time. 2 minutes max

ps: you can check your balance in about 5 seconds before you withdraw the cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I started similar thread a couple of months ago.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055142999

As others have said, fair enough if old people aren't the quickest using ATMs. For instance, I wouldn't expect my gran to be. And her senses are still very sharp. But she's frail and her sight isn't as good as it used to be, so she can hardly be expected to carry out a withdrawal too snappily.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

i saw a great system on an atm the other day that i've wanted for years. It always pissed me off that i would ask for 20 and then it would say "no 20s". I always thought:"surely it already knew it had no 20s because it had taken the last one out of the tray itself. Could it not tell me this at the start rather than offering me something that it cannot provide?" such a simple thing to do and yet no atms did it

but at ulster bank on o connell street in dublin last week i saw this very thing, only 15 year after i thought of it. Thank you ulster bank

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

MooseJam wrote: »
    woman are terribly slow at atm's, if there is a queue of woman ... knightmare
    legs11 wrote: »
    most people have not idea about atm's.

in the square in tallaght about 5 in front of me, was waiting what seemed like 20 minutes id say.

when it was my turn, i was about 30 seconds and walked off, people behind me were looking at me like i was an alien.

women are particularly bad, some of them i have seen take out a wad of cards, bank of ireland, check. ulster bank , check. aib, check....lazer card......
    check.!
    I know this seems slightly sexist and I appologuise for that but I'd have to agree that on average women do seem to take considerably longer to use ATMs.
    I'm all for respecting old people, and I understand that for many of them using an ATM can be a challenge, so it's fair enough if they take a little extra time.

However, my tolerance of this is cancelled out by the old people who insist on taking up two freaking seats on the bus - one for themselves and one for their shopping bag, which, in fairness, contains nothing but other shopping bags and wads of fifties from the ATM because, as it turns out, they don't even trust banks to keep their money.

Sorry, off topic, rant over!!

How about when they insert themselves at the front of the queue knowing that people won't say anything because they're elderly. Or when they corner you and try talk your ears off without any sort of attempt at conversation from you, probably because everyone they know is sick of listening to them. Or when they suddenly latch on to you without even asking you:mad:, claiming that they need help walking. We're supposed to respect them when they fail to show respect for us?:confused:
    I tend to just view them with a leave me the f**k alone and I'll leave you alone stance at this point (TBH not that different to my stance to strangers in general).

People, you need to calm down!

I'd hate to see what some of you are like behind the wheel of a car if waiting 30 seconds is such a burden on your busy, busy lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Annoying and quite frankly inexcusably ignorant things people do at ATM's;

Searching for your card when you get to the machine, rather than before.
    Using three or four cards.
    Spending AGES at the f**king thing, up to 5 minutes.
    Lastly, getting your money and card and start sorting out your purse/wallet while standing in front of a machine your are not using (this particularly gets to me, I have to restrain myself from verbally abusing them)

And in my experience, the people who do all these annoying things are predominatlely women, if you are in a queue behind 5 guys, it'll usually take about 2 mins, if that queue is full of women..all bets are off, you could be there 2 mins, 10 mins, half an hour....you might be better off finding another ATM (not an option in many places)

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Scoobydoobydoo

Dudess wrote: »
    I started similar thread a couple of months ago.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055142999

As others have said, fair enough if old people aren't the quickest using ATMs. For instance, I wouldn't expect my gran to be. And her senses are still very sharp. But she's frail and her sight isn't as good as it used to be, so she can hardly be expected to carry out a withdrawal too snappily.

???!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

this old woman at the atm the other say asked me to check her balance!!! so i pushed her over!!

hahah thought it was funny when i heard that joke !! [lame]

but seriously tho its soo bad at ATM's but I do agree its mainly women that take the longest, me being the exception to the rule haha!!

like this morning a student [god i hates them] if front of me.. was taking ages to check her balance .. got her money stands there then takes out her phone and ring "mary" and starts speaking about there plans for the weekend... so i asks her to move cause im late for work as it is .. and she glares at me and takes out here card again to check her balance --- just to annoy me! ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i ended up being late for work .. i shoulda pushed her over !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

Evil Phil wrote: »
    I was just going to say that bluewolf. It the hooves you see, they can't press the little buttons properly.

Bloody deers. Coming over here, taking all our money........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Why would anybody need to check their balance? Just get out the f*cking money. You can check your balance via phone anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

I do agree with you, but students are just as bad for that too.
    Hell, the amount of time i see dozy twat students with their Abercrombie tops standing on the DART but of course, the bag is on the seat!

Christ knows, the bags have a hard enough life that they can't give the seat up for their owners ;)

Moral of the story?, think twice before generalising :)

And the solution for all of the problems? Sit on the f*cking bag! Watch the look of horror on their faces! Priceless. It DOES work.
    VR!

I do agree with you, but students are just as bad for that too.
    Hell, the amount of time i see dozy twat students with their Abercrombie tops standing on the DART but of course, the bag is on the seat!

Christ knows, the bags have a hard enough life that they can't give the seat up for their owners ;)

Moral of the story?, think twice before generalising :)
    VR!

Basing it on my own experiences, 3 years of buses in and out of college, students always seemed to be ok. But I'm sure you are right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

???!!!
    Sorry, her MIND is very sharp.
    stovelid wrote:
    Just get out the f*cking money. You can check your balance via phone anyway.
    Exactly! Thank you! And internet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

They should add a bin beside the "information slip" bin, where one can dump the dead body of the previous ATM user after I've bludgeoned them to death with their own ATM card because they paused for about 30 seconds every time a new screen appeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

Middle-aged women (usually with ginormous handbags) (only start rooting for purse as the very last part of the transaction!)
    Old people - obvious reasons

Avoid any ques containing the above at all cost!

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭-Leelo-

Oooooh I hate people who faff around at ATMs. I always get stuck behind the old people who print off a mini statement, stand there examining it for a few minutes and THEN decide how much money to take out. Its so irritating.

Totally unrelated, but also hate those old bags who choose to pay for their shopping with the spare change from the end of their purse. They always do it when there's a queue behind them, starting ot think they do it on purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Tha Gopher wrote: »
    In a related point, people who buy groceries or stuff in the offy using a laser or credit card and hold up the queue shouldnt be allowed out on their own, and shouldnt be allowed access to either cash or cards due to their complete lack of intelligence.
    Haha. I hope you get suck behind me all the time. I love my Laser card.

In the states the terminals in 7/11 etc. are much quicker so this problem doesn't arise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭in_da_club

Can I queue up behind you? You left out "take money"... :D
    lol

Advertisement