Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inconsiderate ATM users

Options
  • 30-08-2007 2:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭

A question to the people who take FOREVER to use the ATM: are you not embarrassed by the fact that there's an ever-lengthening queue forming behind you, no doubt comprising people who are in a hurry, yet you continue to snail away?

I always find putting the card in (removed from my wallet before it's my turn to use the machine), pressing the relevant buttons, taking out the money and GOING to be quite an effective method. I don't know, maybe I'm missing something.
    But I really don't see any benefit in: waiting til actually being at the machine to take out the card, pressing the buttons really slowly (it's not brain surgery), taking a certain sum out, then deciding to take out more, thus having to repeat the whole tedious process; staying at the machine to slowly put the card back in the wallet and then back in the bag/pocket.

Complete assholes.

Comments

I really hate it when they decide thay haven't taken out enough and use the machine again. I'd love to kick these people up the arse and send them to the back of the line.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I, for one, would highly endorse such an action from you.

Or the way they keep making mistakes pressing buttons. Like I said, not brain surgery. I'm not the most technically adept but I've mastered it.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DemocAnarchis

Dudess wrote:
    A question to the people who take FOREVER to use the ATM: are you not embarrassed by the fact that there's an ever-lengthening queue forming behind you, no doubt comprising people who are in a hurry, yet you continue to snail away?

I always find putting the card in (removed from my wallet before it's my turn to use the machine), pressing the relevant buttons, taking out the money and GOING to be quite an effective method. I don't know, maybe I'm missing something.
    But I really don't see any benefit in: waiting til actually being at the machine to take out the card, pressing the buttons really slowly (it's not brain surgery), taking a certain sum out, then deciding to take out more, thus having to repeat the whole tedious process; staying at the machine to slowly put the card back in the wallet and then back in the bag/pocket.

Complete assholes.

Who pissed in your cornflakes? What difference is taking your card out before you get to the machine going to take, 10 seconds? Maybe they are rightly cautious about taking their wallet out until they have to. It also can appear that someone is using the machine twice if they put their card in to check their balance and press the wrong button to exit the screen. Maybe they pressed the wrong amount? And staying under the camera to put your money in your wallet, after all the threads we have had in AH talking about being scammed at an atm? Tbh, you sound like the asshole here.

I'm talking about the people who are REEEALLY SLOOOOOOW and plod along like a snail, oblivious to the people behind them.
    All that you've mentioned is fair enough, but it can be done snappily.

So... kisses, sweet thing! Mmmmmwah!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

DemocAnarchis

Who pissed in your cornflakes? What difference is taking your card out before you get to the machine going to take, 10 seconds? Maybe they are rightly cautious about taking their wallet out until they have to. It also can appear that someone is using the machine twice if they put their card in to check their balance and press the wrong button to exit the screen. Maybe they pressed the wrong amount? And staying under the camera to put your money in your wallet, after all the threads we have had in AH talking about being scammed at an atm? Tbh, you sound like the asshole here.

If she did, she's been swiftly replaced ;). Good job.

10 seconds on top of a transaction that could be done in 30, combined with the other 10 seconds here and there from generally being slow, multiplied by the other people in the queue = lots of extra waiting. People who know what they're doing and are in any way intelligent and efficient can arrive at the machine, press the buttons "code, withdraw cash, e20, continue" put their card back before the money is dispensed and put the money in the wallet while walking away.

It's very simple. The OP is pissed off at people who take 3,4,5 minutes, press many buttons, check things, change their minds, make repeated attempts at taking 20's after the machine clearly says it doesn't have any, try and get a f*cking mortgage and slow down everybody else. It's a valid thing to be annoyed at.

• Advertisement

passive wrote:
    If he did, he's been swiftly replaced
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: I'm a LAY-dee!! :)

But yeah, I knew I'd get someone telling me I'm being whiny. I think they'd agree with me though if they were stuck in the queue at the ATM on Georges Street on a rainy Saturday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Yeah when i'm in a long queue and its finally my turn, I deliberately go as quick as I can just to show how fast it can be done. I only choose 50 (on all but BOI machines where you have to manually type this amount in why?, where I choose 20) so you only get one note and its quicker, decline the receipt and run from the machine when the card and money come out then put everything back together: just to show how much quicker men are at using machines in general!!

Note: its mainly women who are slow what with topping up their phone, checking their balance, taking out money, putting in purse putting in bag, farting etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I'm a LAY-dee!!

I, eh, dunno what you're talking about...

passive wrote:
    I, eh, dunno what you're talking about...
    Not sure whether you're being serious or not but since my irony detector doesn't seem to be working, I meant "I'm a lady" (you had referred to me as "he"). I'm not too gone on Little Britain, but "I'm a LAY-dee!" refers to a particular character in that programme whose catchphrase it is. And it's said in a very drawn-out fashion - hence the use of phonetics.
    enda1 wrote:
    Yeah when i'm in a long queue and its finally my turn, I deliberately go as quick as I can just to show how fast it can be done.
    I do the exact same!
    Note: its mainly women who are slow what with topping up their phone, checking their balance, taking out money, putting in purse putting in bag, farting etc...
    CONTROVERSIAL!!!*

*But sadly, you're right. Ish. Plenty of men are slow too. But yeah, from what I've seen, it's mostly women.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

enda1 wrote:

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

enda1 wrote:
    You think that's bad, I remember being stuck for ages behind one woman who had numerous cards and accounts, I genuinely began to wonder if she was part of one of those scams where they use some method to catch your card while a mate notes what numbers you press for your PIN...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

Yeah I really hate those ****ers that suddenly decide to ponder their entire financial situation and path in life at the ATM. **** OFF!!! Luckily I got one of those nifty Laser cards so I get most of my cash using cashback in shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

it really boils down to this for me

men: use the queue to actually think about the transaction and get their card ready.
    women: where's the next pair of shoes coming from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

Dr_Teeth wrote:
    Yeah I really hate those ****ers that suddenly decide to ponder their entire financial situation and path in life at the ATM. **** OFF!!! Luckily I got one of those nifty Laser cards so I get most of my cash using cashback in shops.
    done the exact same recently. sick of long queue's of morans and atm's being out of service so decided to get a laser card. best idea ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

I find woment he worst offenders at this, I partly blame this modern trend for huge bags on it. The worst case's always being when some woman gets to atm then proceeds to root around in a bag thats big enough for me to fit two weeks of clothes in while i get annoyed standing in the queue behind here. :mad: :mad:

On a similiar note I was on the luas when a very loud phone began to ring it was a young woman who had one of these stupid bags it took her several annoyingly loud minutes to find her ringing phone she answered concluded her business and then just threw the phone back into the bottomless pit of a bag so the same scene could be repeated later:mad: :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

farohar wrote:
    You think that's bad, I remember being stuck for ages behind one woman who had numerous cards and accounts, I genuinely began to wonder if she was part of one of those scams where they use some method to catch your card while a mate notes what numbers you press for your PIN...

I hate that, same thing happened me last night, a woman with 3 f**kin cards held up the queue for nearly 10 minutes, foostering around in her hand bag for the cards, then forgetting the codes, a guy behind me eventually told her to "hurry the f**k up, there's only an hour worth of drinking left"....she was rightly disgusted!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

what about the people wh bring 3 or 4 cards with them to the machine, assholes. Also wimmin inthe gym who instead of just logging in , spend 10 mins checking their workout stats and other crap. Love, forget the console and do some f*cking exercise ya fat b*tch and let me log in, it takes 2 secs.

Or those feckers in the gym that use a machine and stand beside it for ten mins before round two. F*ck off and do something else. I will be finished in 3 mins flat. Another lad would use the weights and put them back and stand beside the said weights tray to try and stop people using them while he decided how long of a break he needed. These types drag the rest of us down in the world. Smart people are held back by the stupid and the moronic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 290 ✭✭Tak3n

I personally believe that.. um alot of people dont have atms such as in iraq or south africa and such as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

Who pissed in yours ? No need to be personal ! Or maybe your just upset because you're in a very small minority. I don't know about you but my time is precious to me, and I resent any lower life form, mouth breathing, padded knuckle oxygen theif wasting it ! It's an atm not a mensa test ! A little bit of forethought will save you and everybody else time !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Phew, Slow people at ATM's, offensive t-shirts, people typing in txt speak. We really have it tough these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I hate everyone. It's just easier that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

Tak3n wrote:
    I personally believe that.. um alot of people dont have atms such as in iraq or south africa and such as.
    ya I saw that too - Miss SouthCarolina????? - very good

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Some ATMs don't make it easy though.
    In Ulster Bank.
    Pop in your card. Type in your PIN. A message pops up saying you can withdraw a max of €700 today.
    Type in €700 and the bank machine pops up a message saying the maximum I can withdraw in one transaction is €400.
    Type in €400. Card pops out, cash pops out.
    Look like a knob to the people behind when you pop in your card ......

Who the hell designed that system. If I can withdraw €700 and I have my card an PIN why force people to do it in 2 transactions. It doesn't give any extra security that I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

It bloody get's my goat too, especially with wimmen* (* Not a sexist remark. This remark merely incites that the majority percentage on this topic consists of women. If any offence has been taken please forward your complaint to "P.O. BOX, No. 5, UP-YOUR-ARSEVILLE")

It's amazing how it's always the person in front of you, never the one 2 people ahead or the person behind (By that point you don't care.) Some people are unbelievable, the latest was a few weeks ago when I was behind a middle-aged woman and it was the most infuriating thing in my life. Either her brain suddenly collapsed into mush, Bank Of Ireland had just briefly updated the ATM software to some sort of Terminator biometric technology for her test but she hadn't a clue or more sensibly, she was just another braindead moron for the ever-growing army of ATM thick-shíts! I mean, come on:
    • She just stood there rummaging around for her ATM in her handbag for at least 30 seconds
    • When she pops it in she can't seem to remember her password causing the ATM card to be vomited back out, she plops it back in.
    • She eventually remembers her password but now she can't decide how much to pull out so she starts pressing the option buttons.
    • Finally pulls out money...............but wait, she didn't pull out enough.
    • Repeats steps again (INCLUDING FORGETTING HER PASSWORD AGAIN!).
    • I make it clear that this is annoying me and she notices.
    • When she finally gets that extra tenner she gives ME a dirty look.

And to top it off, this is what then happened....

I then went to the machine and was greeted with OUT OF ORDER!

You can imagine what my reaction was!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

Duggy747 wrote:
    And to top it off, this is what then happened....

I then went to the machine and was greeted with OUT OF ORDER!

You can imagine what my reaction was!

A "Falling down" type killing spree ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

"Its a bank machine not a bleedin playstation luv" is my battlecry in these situations :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Niamho!

i dont get it either. never fails to surprise me how some Twat can stand there for Aaaaagggess and you take less than a minute yourself.
    they should have a "Slow persons" bank Machine and a Quick one.
    i know which order im gonna press the buttons in. i practically know it before i do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Niamho! wrote:
    they should have a "Slow persons" bank Machine and a Quick one.

Not a bad idea, the slow one can have big shiney buttons and a table to rest the bag while they root in it....

I have to go the patent office now for a completely different reason...

<_<

>_>

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, Duggy has the nail on the head there. I've seen slow men, but by and large the slow users are mostly women, and even slow men are faster than slow women.

It's reckoned that it's because women are better money managers than men - they spend more time considering what they're going to do, doing sums in their head, and then checking their balance and redoing their sums in their head. Since women in general are less adept at head sums than men it only serves to exacerbate the issue.

Men go to the ATM to take out what they need. They don't care how much they have so long as the ATM gives them what they need.

It's the same phenomenon as the checkout.

1. Stand in line, waiting and looking around, bag over shoulder.
    2. Your turn appears. Walk slowly to ATM, while rummaging in bag.
    3. Continue rummaging in bag while standing at ATM. Take out wallet, rummage in oversized, overfilled wallet for bank card.
    4. Insert card. Slowly.
    5. Wait for PIN prompt to appear. Think about PIN for about two seconds. Put wallet back in bag.
    6. Insert PIN. Ensure that each time you press a number, you press strongly and deliberately with your index finger. Then listen for the beep, but pause to look at the screen anyway to make sure you see a little star, then proceed to enter the next number in the same fashion.
    7. Look around you while the machine verifies your PIN. We all know that machines are terrible at working with numbers, so don't expect it to finish soon.
    8. Turn around five seconds after the cash prompt has appeared.
    9. Look at the various options available. Do you need money? As you go to select a cash amount, reconsider and put your hand back down. Do this at least twice. Select "Show Balance".
    10. Wait for balance to appear, and stare at it for about five seconds. It does look quite low, doesn't it? During those five seconds, think about all of the transactions you've made over the last two days in an attempt to figure out where your money has gone.
    11. Select "Another transaction"
    12. Think again about how much money you want. Perhaps you might need a little more tomorrow. Are you sure? Again, make at least two false starts before actually choosing the amount. You need to keep the machine on its toes.
    13. Look surprised when the machine prompts you as to whether you'd like a receipt. Pretend that you've never seen this screen before. Consider this option for at least five seconds.
    14. Request a receipt. I know, it is very difficult to subtract €200 from the balance that you saw 30 seconds ago.
    15. Listen to machine beeping and wait for card to be fully expelled from machine before rummaging in bag for wallet. Extract card and place in wallet. Close wallet.
    16. Take money, open wallet and stand there while you put the money in.
    17. Take receipt, but remember - stay where you are! If you walk off, then you can't come back and correct any mistakes on your receipt.

In fairness, I'm not going to say this is most women. Of course it's not. But I've never seen men act like this at the ATM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

If it bugs you don't just stand there, say something like "anybody go a zimmer frame, were going to be here a while" or "you coule spend your time doing something about that face then playing with that machine". Insults and peer pressure always work.

Advertisement