Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

are there many commuters?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

ShayK1 wrote: »
    I probably am... I started college in 2001.
    Passed 1st in 2002
    Deferred 2nd 2003
    Failed one subject in 2004
    passed that subject in 2005
    passed 3rd in 2006
    Failed FYP in 2007
    Repeating FYP now 2008

Yeah I started in 01 as well, was in CSM.

6000 is a huge figure, I really dont think that is accurate. What is the population of Carlow?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

Yeah I started in 01 as well, was in CSM.

6000 is a huge figure, I really dont think that is accurate. What is the population of Carlow?

Its THROUGH castledermot.. Not just from Carlow. Carlow has a population of 25,000 or so I think.

CSM ....hhhmmm so when did you finish?

Ah through Castledermot, that makes more sense!

Finished CSM in 06, ah the memories, sunrise, sunset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭someothername

i go right into the city every day - usually costs about €300 per month on diesel ....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

I commute from Tullow to Borris! :D Tough gig!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭patrickc

Quiff81 wrote: »
    i go right into the city every day - usually costs about €300 per month on diesel ....

you spend less than me so, your car must be well economical
    Don1 wrote: »
    I commute from Tullow to Borris! :D Tough gig!

oh yeh big drive that:pac:

Tis a fun drive though. Was better with my old fat tyres. New skinnies are nowhere near as good. :(

I'd be about the same I think. Takes about €70 diesel a week but I get the weekend driving out of that too. I love my new car :D

patrickc wrote: »
    you spend less than me so, your car must be well economical

I'd be about the same I think. Takes about €70 diesel a week but I get the weekend driving out of that too. I love my new car :D

ah thats just the bill for the driving during the week.
    have a weekend car - that could come in anywhere ffrom €150 - €200 a month!

roughly, €50 for weekend driving??

Do you drive alot at the weekend or do you just have a beast of a car?

• Advertisement

Beasty weekend cars ftw!!! If I had gotten the Scooby it probably would've ended up at weekends only! :D

ah thats just the bill for the driving during the week.
    have a weekend car - that could come in anywhere ffrom €150 - €200 a month!

must be a total animal so..

roughly, €50 for weekend driving??

Do you drive alot at the weekend or do you just have a beast of a car?

drive a Type R Integra at the weekend ..... in fairness they arent the worst once you keep them out of the VTec ;)

must be a total animal so..

:D

drive a Type R Integra at the weekend ..... in fairness they arent the worst once you keep them out of the VTec ;)

Hmmm, how likely is that though? 8,000rpm please: nneeeeeaaaooooowwwwwwm!!!

"Where'd my petrol go? Ah feck it."

nneeeeeaaaooooowwwwwwm!!!

:D:D:D

Ah but whats the point in having a VTec if you don't use it? That'd be like me driving my TDi and not using the Turbo. Where's the fun in that??

Nice car though :D

I did a little test over the past 2 days regarding Castledermot.

I wanted to know was it quicker/longer to turn at Moone High Cross Inn and come out at Green Acres or continue straight through Castedermot.

My conclusion is:

Driving through Castledermot with traffic slightly on the light side of normal takes 15 minutes and its 7 miles.

Driving around Castledermot also takes 15 minutes but its 10 miles.

So, if there's any sort of hold up in Castledermot, I believe that turning off at the high cross will get you home quicker but is geographically longer.

here's the route:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=15935207295823736078,52.953170,-6.836740%3B7159423319266092736,52.863560,-6.883347%3B6339551694927151683,52.857750,-6.878729&saddr=N9+%4052.953170,+-6.836740&daddr=52.895079,-6.912117+to:Unknown+road+%4052.863560,+-6.883347+to:Unknown+road+%4052.857750,+-6.878729&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=14&via=1,2&sll=52.889642,-6.892633&sspn=0.027861,0.064201&ie=UTF8&ll=52.924635,-6.780624&spn=0.222708,0.513611&z=11

I did a little test over the past 2 days regarding Castledermot.

I wanted to know was it quicker/longer to turn at Moone High Cross Inn and come out at Green Acres or continue straight through Castedermot.

My conclusion is:

Driving through Castledermot with traffic slightly on the light side of normal takes 15 minutes and its 7 miles.

Driving around Castledermot also takes 15 minutes but its 10 miles.

So, if there's any sort of hold up in Castledermot, I believe that turning off at the high cross will get you home quicker but is geographically longer.

here's the route:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=15935207295823736078,52.953170,-6.836740%3B7159423319266092736,52.863560,-6.883347%3B6339551694927151683,52.857750,-6.878729&saddr=N9+%4052.953170,+-6.836740&daddr=52.895079,-6.912117+to:Unknown+road+%4052.863560,+-6.883347+to:Unknown+road+%4052.857750,+-6.878729&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=14&via=1,2&sll=52.889642,-6.892633&sspn=0.027861,0.064201&ie=UTF8&ll=52.924635,-6.780624&spn=0.222708,0.513611&z=11

you come out at green acres? i come out on the athy road. must check the mileage on it next day i do it.

you come out at green acres? i come out on the athy road. must check the mileage on it next day i do it.

yeah, after Kilkea you go straight through the next cross road and keep going straight till you come to a T junction that looks and feels more like a right hand bend with a slip road to the left. Take that left slip road and you'll come back out onto the Castledermot Rd at Green Acres.

Its the turn at Crooket according to that map

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

i did the same as patrickc said and came out on athy road was great and had to be much quicker as traffic was backed near to the petrol station at turn for high cross

though last time i tried to take short cut road was closed and diversion in place ended up in athy on a friday evening........given i live in fenagh this added serious time on to my journey:o

racso1975 wrote: »
    i did the same as patrickc said and came out on athy road was great and had to be much quicker as traffic was backed near to the petrol station at turn for high cross

though last time i tried to take short cut road was closed and diversion in place ended up in athy on a friday evening........given i live in fenagh this added serious time on to my journey:o

i did the same when the road was closed a few weeks ago, grant i it wasnt a friday evening but still landed in athy

• Advertisement

which road was closed?

which road was closed?

the one to the last past moone high cross in was, its still closed in patches while they widen/resurface it

the one to the last past moone high cross in was, its still closed in patches while they widen/resurface it

the one to the left?

You probably came into Athy passed my grandparents house so :D
    I think if you had of taken the first possible left turn and the the next left after that you'd come out slightly the athy side of kilkea.

the one to the left?

You probably came into Athy passed my grandparents house so :D
    I think if you had of taken the first possible left turn and the the next left after that you'd come out slightly the athy side of kilkea.

yeh the one to the left, i did take that one and still ended up in athy.:pac:

i know next time the way to go, or stick on the satnav one or the other

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Nightshiftguy

Did 7 years of the commute.. When Kill had traffic lights and then throgh out all the N7 road works.. oh NEVER again.. unless i was really desperate.. No i am in naas.. wife in newbridge.. drop her off and then over to my work.. and pick her up on way home.. need to be in for 9. so leave at 750ish and home for half 6 happy day... ok petrol.. about 100 a week... note to self don't buy a 4lt jeep next time..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Was thinking about going back commuting again.
    Did it by train when i got job in dub 6 years ago. Only stuck it for 5 months. Since then ive been renting in Dub. Was grand for a couple of years.
    These days most of my mates that were here have fecked off abroad or are working in CityWest so they drive from Carlow daily.
    So now i find myself the only one of the 6 of us who were here a couple of years ago. Thing is i work in city centre, so train seems to be only option.
    Train times are crap tho, 6:30 is only chance i have to get there on time. And 18:25 to get home at 7.40 is only one home:(
    So get home at 7.45, outta bed at 5:45...i dunno if i could face it. Would be great to be back in Carlow on midweek nights for training etc, but those early mornings would kill me.
    Do some of ye guys do this, and how do you find it?

Stevecw wrote: »
    Did it by train when i got job in dub 6 years ago. Only stuck it for 5 months. Since then ive been renting in Dub. Was grand for a couple of years.
    These days most of my mates that were here have fecked off abroad or are working in CityWest so they drive from Carlow daily.
    So now i find myself the only one of the 6 of us who were here a couple of years ago. Thing is i work in city centre, so train seems to be only option.
    Train times are crap tho, 6:30 is only chance i have to get there on time. And 18:25 to get home at 7.40 is only one home:(
    So get home at 7.45, outta bed at 5:45...i dunno if i could face it. Would be great to be back in Carlow on midweek nights for training etc, but those early mornings would kill me.

ive done the train thing but irish rail is so unpredicatable, the car is so much better, just park and ride at the red cow.

could you get the 17.35 home if it ever runs again?

i drive to city center (ish) I go as far as the first bridge on the quays and then cross back over again. usually takes between an hour and 10 minutes and an hour and a half. How far into the city would you be going stevecw?

Stevecw wrote: »

I was living in Dublin last year and travelled up and down for training twice a week. One night I would stay in the parents house the other I would travel back up after training. Spring/Summer months are fine, very tough in winter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I live in Tullow, work in Sandyford. Drive takes around an hour and a half each way - I can do it in 50 minutes at night! Grrr!

I'm currently looking for a job a bit nearer home - even Naas or Newbridge would be better. They're all offering crap salaries though. However, I would definitely consider taking a small drop in wages as with the amount I'm currently spending on petrol and servicing my car (twice a year), I could take a drop of up to 5k and still not have my real income affected. not to mention the quality of life aspect...

I have my heart set on having found a new job by October. I just cannot face another winter of that commute.

Advertisement