Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

are there many commuters?

Options
  • 20-10-2007 1:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭

Do many of ye here commute to Dublin or a distance on a daily basis? I commute from Carlow to Dublin daily just wodnering is there many on this the same?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭fitzyshea

I do and I reckon about 3 - 400 people do by train who knows how many take the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭patrickc

fitzyshea wrote: »
    I do and I reckon about 3 - 400 people do by train who knows how many take the car.

i drive mostly cos hate the poxy train.. about 150 id say start on the 6.30am train and god knows after that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

i travel to naas everyday and my wife travels to dublin everyday in cars

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

I travel to Blanchardstown everyday and have to be there for 7 usually leave carlow bout 5:50 and manage to avoid the major rush :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭car

Both me and my BF travel everyday to Citywest to work, no fecking jobs for us in Carlow, thank god I am the right side of the red cow... I dont know how the people do it.
    PS. Are the road works every going to stop in Castledermot, took over 2 hours to get home yesterday, and today we drove through Athy to advoid the traffic as we were told 35-40 min delays and thats not to mension the road works on the motor way.... No point in complaining though... if the government have their way I wont be on the roads for much longer! :mad:

• Advertisement

car wrote: »
    Both me and my BF travel everyday to Citywest to work, no fecking jobs for us in Carlow, thank god I am the right side of the red cow... I dont know how the people do it.
    PS. Are the road works every going to stop in Castledermot, took over 2 hours to get home yesterday, and today we drove through Athy to advoid the traffic as we were told 35-40 min delays and thats not to mension the road works on the motor way.... No point in complaining though... if the government have their way I wont be on the roads for much longer! :mad:

theres a nice easy way to avoid castle d without going through athy, when coming from dublin turn right at the moone cross inn junction thats just before the togher petrol station, it's signposted as so, take the immediate left after the pub and continue straight on that road, through two crossroads straight all the way, at the last one a T junction turn left into Carlow your on the athy road then.

oh and going to dublin take the left turn just before the road works its a crossroads as such, before you hit the new bridge, follow that road until you come to a T junction and turn right at that, follow that road all the way and it brings you into the centre of castle D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Man I could have used those direction the other evening.. Like Car above it took me 2 hours to get back from Blanchardstown!!

Looking forward to some home working in the next few months :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭starflake

I travel from Maynooth to Coolock everyday. half 5 start home at 7pm. Pain in the ass especially with all the trains and buses being completely jammed!

tommycahir wrote: »
    Man I could have used those direction the other evening.. Like Car above it took me 2 hours to get back from Blanchardstown!!

Looking forward to some home working in the next few months :-)

try them out if your not working from home, its a great shortcut only when castle d is backed up.

starflake wrote: »
    I travel from Maynooth to Coolock everyday. half 5 start home at 7pm. Pain in the ass especially with all the trains and buses being completely jammed!

thats well bad star..

• Advertisement

thats well bad star..

ah it'll do for the time-being! could not committ to this long term. It'd kill me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

What time do you have to leave your house to get to work in time?

Edit .. I mean most of u, seems around the 5am mark am I right?

I work between Clondalkin and city centre, for Clondalkin my hours are flexible usually leave and 7.50 and in for 9. For city centre i generally start at 8, leave the house at 6.15 drive to red cow and luas from there in for 8ish then.

ian_m wrote: »
    What time do you have to leave your house to get to work in time?

Edit .. I mean most of u, seems around the 5am mark am I right?

I don't have to leave until 6.30, couldn't hack 5!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭rossious

I leave Carlow at 7:50, arrive to Wyeth with herself at 8:35 and into Work in Naas at 8:50

Think we miss all the Citywest and Dublin traffic. Road is usually quiet enough. No point overtaking, just settle in and cruise!! I thought it would be much worse to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

carlow to city centre for me. I work flexi so I try to start at 8 so I can finish at 4. If I get there by 8:45 I can work my core hours of 6hrs 45mins (30 minute lunch) and leave at 4.
    I try to get up at 6am and be gone by 6:30 and i'd arrive in work around 7:50 but today I got up at 7 and left around 7:15. Signed in at work at 08:33:29.
    Newlands and the red cow are much quicker these days. The problem now is Inchicore.
    The bottle neck after the Long mile road where the luas runs on your right and there's a bus lane on your left... Thats the worst part of my journey.

As for coming home. once I get to Newlands its a 40 - 50 minute drive home, but getting there could take anything from 10 minutes to 45.

ShayK1 wrote: »
    carlow to city centre for me. I work flexi so I try to start at 8 so I can finish at 4. If I get there by 8:45 I can work my core hours of 6hrs 45mins (30 minute lunch) and leave at 4.
    I try to get up at 6am and be gone by 6:30 and i'd arrive in work around 7:50 but today I got up at 7 and left around 7:15. Signed in at work at 08:33:29.
    Newlands and the red cow are much quicker these days. The problem now is Inchicore.
    The bottle neck after the Long mile road where the luas runs on your right and there's a bus lane on your left... Thats the worst part of my journey.

As for coming home. once I get to Newlands its a 40 - 50 minute drive home, but getting there could take anything from 10 minutes to 45.

it is getting better at newlands to the red cow, somedays though and it can be unpredictable it can be backed up, as you say the naas road to inchicore thats really bad, unless your on the luas you can't bypass that.
    do you go james street at inchicore or which way from there shay?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Spent 6 months commuting to Clondalkin, its tough going. Didnt mind the mornings, but the evenings were killer, especially when the good weather/long evenings ("good weather") came.

What industries are ye working in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭BigglesMcGee

Wow, that commute must cost a fortune on petrol.

I used to commute to London every day.

My commute was faster than yours :)

Spent 6 months commuting to Clondalkin, its tough going. Didnt mind the mornings, but the evenings were killer, especially when the good weather/long evenings ("good weather") came.

homelessness for me, i don't mind Clondalkin, its not a bad run up and down to there at all.

I used to commute to London every day.

My commute was faster than yours :)

yeh costs a fortune a month

• Advertisement

patrickc wrote: »
    it is getting better at newlands to the red cow, somedays though and it can be unpredictable it can be backed up, as you say the naas road to inchicore thats really bad, unless your on the luas you can't bypass that.
    do you go james street at inchicore or which way from there shay?

I work right across from heuston station (yes I know the train would be handy but I don't like the train!!) I used to go straight onto the N4 and down St John's Road but that's ALWAYS busy. I usually turn right towards James Street then left into kilmainham and then right at the lights and go by the kilmainham garda station and come out at heuston station.

If its really bad coming off the naas road I'd go down into ballyfermot and come in the n4, maybe head across to parkgate st from there.

I have to go down the quays to the first bridge and cross back over cause I can't turn right to pull into work.

I work in Server Management for the HSE.

I've just changed over to a diesel. petrol was about €60 a week for commuting only. (ie. not including my evening/weekend driving)
    I'm not sure about the diesel yet but I think I'll get a full weeks driving out of €70.

I work right across from heuston station (yes I know the train would be handy but I don't like the train!!) I used to go straight onto the N4 and down St John's Road but that's ALWAYS busy. I usually turn right towards James Street then left into kilmainham and then right at the lights and go by the kilmainham garda station and come out at heuston station.

If its really bad coming off the naas road I'd go down into ballyfermot and come in the n4, maybe head across to parkgate st from there.

I have to go down the quays to the first bridge and cross back over cause I can't turn right to pull into work.

yeh I know the way you go, and hate the train myself...ballier can be a bottle neck too at times, just depends on luck soemtimes

I work in Server Management for the HSE.

What course did you do in college? What year you graduate?

What course did you do in college? What year you graduate?

I'm repeating my FYP for CW046 (Bsc in Computer Networking) so hopefully I'll graduate this year. its due 3 weeks from tomorrow. Scary!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

I am a commuter - to Citywest.

there was a Guy on from some Carlow Kilkenny Enterprise was on Marian Finucane on saturday morning and he said over 6000+ commute through Castledermot daily and that the town as a bottleneck was the biggest drawback from investment to Carlow & Kilkenny

I'm repeating my FYP for CW046 (Bsc in Computer Networking) so hopefully I'll graduate this year. its due 3 weeks from tomorrow. Scary!!

Ah ok, thought you might be of the jumpa generation!

Ah ok, thought you might be of the jumpa generation!

I probably am... I started college in 2001.
    Passed 1st in 2002
    Deferred 2nd 2003
    Failed one subject in 2004
    passed that subject in 2005
    passed 3rd in 2006
    Failed FYP in 2007
    Repeating FYP now 2008

• Advertisement

lucylu wrote: »
    I am a commuter - to Citywest.

there was a Guy on from some Carlow Kilkenny Enterprise was on Marian Finucane on saturday morning and he said over 6000+ commute through Castledermot daily and that the town as a bottleneck was the biggest drawback from investment to Carlow & Kilkenny

couple more years and it'll be bypassed Thank god.

6000+ ... holy sh1t

Advertisement