Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The end of Bok rugby as we know it is nigh

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

toomevara wrote: »
    Well if last night was 'the end of Bok rugby as we know it' it was quite a swansong. To be honest the Bokke did the best thing they could in response to the alleged impending 'abokalypse' by winning the competition.

Reckon the whole thing is being overstated anyway, don't think the Boks will be going anywhere soon....Just check out the scenes from Jo'burg on TV, total euphoria, black and white...it'll be a brave politician who meddles with that....

I hope you're right my friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

mikeruurds wrote: »
    I hope you're right my friend.

Really hope I'm right too, world rugby without the Boks would be unthinkable..Just finished reading this interesting article in today's Observer Re: the situation in SA, a bit of an eye opener...

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/world/story/0,,2195926,00.html

Hmm sorry about that I seem to have inadvertantly put in a link that shows two elephants humping, it was not, repeat not, a satirical comment on SA rugby...I'm such a mook...fixed now

toomevara wrote: »
    Really hope I'm right too, world rugby without the Boks would be unthinkable..Just finished reading this interesting article in today's Observer Re: the situation in SA, a bit of an eye opener...

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/world/story/0,,2195926,00.html

Hmm sorry about that I seem to have inadvertantly put in a link that shows two elephants humping, it was not, repeat not, a satirical comment on SA rugby...I'm such a mook...fixed now

Cheers for that. It was a good read and 100% accurate. Transformation needs to happen from the bottom up. The only problem is that actually doing something to fix the problem takes too much work and it's so much easier to put up a little window dressing by demanding that a certain number of black players be on the field at any one time.

That kind of tokenism will make SA rugby a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭ThomasH

Very interesting article about this discussion in today's Sunday Independent, worth a read. I thought it hit the nail on the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭purple'n'gold

I read on a the BBC 666 football page that in future the South African rugby team will have to have more black players. To reflect the ratio of the population. Surely if this is true it would be a disaster for rugby in south Africa and lead to their rapid demise as a power in the sport?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

theres a thread all ready disscussing this issue

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

I dont think it will last that long as the population will not want a bad team of theirs on the pitch. i do think it will last a couple of year, possibly to the next world cup but no longer.

The south african nation have made rugby elitist that only the middle and upper classes play. It just so happens that these people are majority white. They need to help the black community, which so happens to be mainly in the lower classes, to be more involved in the game.

If they want coloured people playing on the national team more they should invest in them and make sure they are good enough, and that they get picked for the game based on being the best and not being a certain colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭purple'n'gold

county wrote: »
    theres a thread all ready disscussing this issue

Yes you're correct, sorry about that, did'nt notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

merge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

Perhaps theres light at the end of the tunnel.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/front_page/7082466.stm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

The removal of quotas (I'm taking this news at face value and assume there'll be no behind the scenes interference), is great news for world rugby and especially for SA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Leon11

I'd say Argentina will be kicking themselves at this announcement. They were in a great position to enter the tri nations if South Africa were going to be such a weakened side. On the plus side it's great news for world rugby. It would have been a shame to deprive SA players the chance to play for their country due to racial quotas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Very good news, also means we have a hope of retaining the trophy in 2011 : D

I hope this isn't the usual smoke and mirrors that we are used to. Now all they need to do is confirm that Boks playing overseas will be eligible for selection.

If they do that then all is looking rosy for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

mikeruurds wrote: »
    I hope this isn't the usual smoke and mirrors that we are used to.

In fact, eh, I think you meant to say "smokes and daggers" there, hah?

Advertisement