Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus vs Trinity College

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Trinity College
    I wouldn't go for abolishing free fees altogether but I'm sure the government could raise them slightly.
    Ibid wrote:
    The mod of the mygrant.ie forum will tell you that he knows almost nobody on the grant who doesn't have a part-time job out of necessity.

You can't expect a grant to fully support somebody either. The reason a lot of people get a part-time job is to finance their social life and other living expenses rather than their education.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Trinity College
    Ibid wrote: »
    No, I'm part of the great unwashed. Not as unwashed as someone from the other side of Leixlip, but unwashed nonetheless.

People will come on here crying their eyes out about the opportunities of the great unwashed wah wah wah while also bemoaning the lack of funding for education, wah wah wah. It's simple. Pick a number, say €40,000. Anyone whose parents earn more than that a year pay fees*. This frees up money the government are paying - I know people whose parents earn €100,000 a year but the government are paying their fees. This money can then be spent on not only paying the fees of the great unwashed but providing adequate grants for those to who need them. (Being unwashed and having first-hand experience of the grant system, it's wholly inadequate. The mod of the mygrant.ie forum will tell you that he knows almost nobody on the grant who doesn't have a part-time job out of necessity.)

*Or something slightly more complicated, like those on >€30,000 pay 50% fees, >€40,000 pay 75% etc.
    I see where you're coming from.
    It does actually make perfect sense that those who can afford to pay, should pay. I was under the illusion that they did. Silly me.

I'm going to have to ban you for that racist remark though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Trinity College
    Dublin Bus deserves it
    Trinity probably gets it

Can i ask what the atari jaguar thing is about?
    i constantly see it on AH polls

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Trinity College
    Dublin Bus deserves it
    Trinity probably gets it

Can i ask what the atari jaguar thing is about?
    i constantly see it on AH polls
    Dont go there. Its a load of nonsense

Trinity College
    I moved the off topic posts to the Kildare forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Voipjunkie

Trinity College
    RuggieBear wrote: »
    I'd abolish the present system which basically means the middle class get free college when they would have paid for it anyway and introduce a proper grants system for those who can't afford 3rd level education

My parents saved for my college education for years and then the year before my Leaving the Gov abolished the fees...so my parents used my "college money" to buy a Merc instead.

Of course the other side to my argument is that some parents refuse to pay for their kids third level education leaving the kids in financial limbo wrt to the college fees

Of course the other issue with fees when they were around was that people on PAYE cannot move their income around the way self employed or large farmers etc can meaning that people on relatively modest PAYE incomes were deprived of grants whilst those who were far better off could ensure their official income in the years that would be measured was below the threshold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Voipjunkie

Trinity College
    Ibid wrote: »
    No, I'm part of the great unwashed. Not as unwashed as someone from the other side of Leixlip, but unwashed nonetheless.

People will come on here crying their eyes out about the opportunities of the great unwashed wah wah wah while also bemoaning the lack of funding for education, wah wah wah. It's simple. Pick a number, say €40,000. Anyone whose parents earn more than that a year pay fees*. This frees up money the government are paying - I know people whose parents earn €100,000 a year but the government are paying their fees. This money can then be spent on not only paying the fees of the great unwashed but providing adequate grants for those to who need them. (Being unwashed and having first-hand experience of the grant system, it's wholly inadequate. The mod of the mygrant.ie forum will tell you that he knows almost nobody on the grant who doesn't have a part-time job out of necessity.)

*Or something slightly more complicated, like those on >€30,000 pay 50% fees, >€40,000 pay 75% etc.

I would say your figures reveal how completely out of touch you are

€32,000 is around the average industrial wage so on your figures a couple earning €20,000 each which is about 60% of the average industrial wage should have to pay all of their grown up childs fees through college.

Or more complicated a couple not even earning the average industrial wage between them should pay 50% of there grown childrens fees.

Time to get out of college and visit the real world

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Voipjunkie wrote: »
    I would say your figures reveal how completely out of touch you are
    "Illustrative purposes". The whole "Pick a number" thing suggests the figures aren't exact.
    Time to get out of college and visit the real world
    Oh grow up. This is coming from someone who says Dublin Bus don't receive subsidies but "obligatory government payments". A rose by any other name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Atari Jaguar
    Terry wrote: »
    I moved the off topic posts to the Kildare forum.

is that code for something nasty

Trinity College
    It's code for "keep to the topic at hand".

• Advertisement
Advertisement