Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fee Paying Schools

Options
1141516171820»

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Fad wrote: »
    apologies, but i meant MOST rich kids.
    (obviously there are exceptions)

bear in mind that not everyone falls into that bracket, around a third come from a nice middle class backround, and theyre quite pleasant

Apples and oranges, some people from lower income backgrounds are horrible, some people from higher income backgrounds are horrible. People in general can be horrible, not breaking any new ground here.
    damnyanks wrote: »
    I went to a fee paying school. 1 grand a year and was given brilliant sports facilities. It's not that much as its tax deductable. It was one of those "rugby schools" needless to say I met numerous people in life who have attended these schools and under on circumstance was anyone under the blief that it was for better results. Just better facilities.

Always found people from certain areas had a big chip on their shoulder about schools like the one I went too. Who cares

'nure for life damnyanks :)

Facilities are really what it boils down to on a practical level, but I guess there's an element of buying your child into a different social stratum?

Regardless of what background you have, you can achieve great things or nothing, but I don't think it's a stretch to say your environment probably shapes your goals to a large extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

No
    Fad wrote: »
    apologies, but i meant MOST rich kids.
    (obviously there are exceptions)

Yeah just like MOST poor kids spend there time robbing cars and setting fire to stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

Undecided
    As someone did say in an earlier post people here are comparing Knackeragua Comp with Filthy Rich Grammar. Most school fall into the middle spectrum from my own experience. If anyone for one minute thinks that buying into private school ensures your kids are cushioned from nasty people-think again. An acquaintance of mine was appalled to find out that one of her kid's schoolmates was a child of a notorious criminal. This was in a very expensive private school. Trying to buy respectability.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

You can always tell if someone went to a public school. They have a low sloping brow and long arms so that their knuckles drag off the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

MikeHoncho wrote: »
    Yeah just like MOST poor kids spend there time robbing cars and setting fire to stuff.

i whole heartedly agree with you there in fact ALL of them :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Anthony16

cson wrote: »
    Grind schools are a joke. A method of overcoming the even bigger joke that the leaving cert currently is. With the 'help' of a grind school it is quite concievable imo to get a high grade in some subjects with very little understanding of the subject.

I went to a grind school and can say for sure they are not a "joke".Respect them plz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

If it was the Atari Jaguar school.
    Maybe yours was good and cson's was bad? No matter how good they are though, they'll never prevent the scourge of text-speak... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

This thread is from way back when people could afford fee paying schools.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement