Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do any Asian women post here?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

I have ten euros that says "neckbeard"

LOL, exactly what I thought when I saw this thread! Reminds me of all those 'living in Japan' etc threads on Something Awful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭clueless007

I hate (Nah I love to do that ;)) to crash all of your fantasy world of Asian girls being demure and feminine. In that side of the world, a lot of Asian girls are no longer taking a back seat. Having the girls being equal/ over acheivers and not taking craps from their boyfriends/ husbands like the older generation did, a lot of Asian guys are looking for their wives in other less developed countries. We see such a trend in any other rich country anyway. Without a common language and vast difference in cultures and values, these kind of relationships are just business dealings. The guy get a domestic helper who not only cleans and cooks for him but also his lover and his children's mother. The girl gets a ticket to a better (maybe not) life. It might develop into real love but it would just be a might.

Not judging anyone but just my personal opinion. I hate to know that there are people in such a state.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Clueless:

Are you really an Asian (Chinese?) girl??? I've just recently returned from a year's living in Beijing and I can tell you that 90% of the girls I met there were a lot more demure and feminine than girls over here.

Femininity does not equate to bimboness/subservience - more to do with being softly spoken, ladylike and ultra pleasant.

A Korean friend of mine did say that he was looking for a Chinese wife as Korean girls become more surgically enhanced and "bossy".

Most Chinese girls have not even had sexual education in schools! They are so reserved when it comes to things like relationships - some would wait up to a month before holding hands.

I agree that girls are not taking a back seat (nor should they be) but they can have an equally important decision making role in life while still preserving their 温柔性 (wen1 rou2 xing4 for non-Chinese readers).

And Chinese men are great cooks! Try my aromatic duck sometime :D

Okay I see you're Singaporean - things are probably a bit different to China.

Would love to go there sometime (and try not to be fined for bringing chewing gum into the country ;) - this Singaporean girl I know was telling me all about the very strict laws they have there).

Wow checking up the past messages I posted. That's getting freaky!

• Advertisement

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Okay I see you're Singaporean - things are probably a bit different to China.

Would love to go there sometime (and try not to be fined for bringing chewing gum into the country ;) - this Singaporean girl I know was telling me all about the very strict laws they have there).

It is very strict there, my uncle and cousins are singaporian. I think the law has changed now but it was against the law to chew chewing gum in public !

Freaky to some perhaps but I'm just checking up on suspicions I had that you were not Chinese/don't know the situation in China (turns out I was right). With the internet being what it is harbouring suspicions is not an unwise thing to do.

Of course Asia is more than just China (though there are 1.3 billion of them!)

And funnily enough most people mean South-East Asia when talking of "Asian fetish" - poor girls from India, Pakistan etc. hardly ever get a mention.

Welcome to Dublin by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I hate (Nah I love to do that ;)) to crash all of your fantasy world of Asian girls being demure and feminine. In that side of the world, a lot of Asian girls are no longer taking a back seat. Having the girls being equal/ over acheivers and not taking craps from their boyfriends/ husbands like the older generation did, a lot of Asian guys are looking for their wives in other less developed countries. We see such a trend in any other rich country anyway. Without a common language and vast difference in cultures and values, these kind of relationships are just business dealings. The guy get a domestic helper who not only cleans and cooks for him but also his lover and his children's mother. The girl gets a ticket to a better (maybe not) life. It might develop into real love but it would just be a might.

Not judging anyone but just my personal opinion. I hate to know that there are people in such a state.

I'm not clueless (hehe) in this reguard.

I've met and known a lot of Asian women, lived with some in the past as well. I don't buy into this cliché of Asian women being submissive, or such like.

And honestly, it's not a case of getting a girl from a less developed country. Japan is absolutely miles ahead of the rest of the world, as is South Korea for the most part. I don't really think many of them would be getting a better life in Ireland, so to speak.

Just to ease your curiousity, you just checked up on other people like that? It's very rude. Ciao

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

rude?
    you're on the internet...

• Advertisement

It's the internet! You don't have privacy on what you choose to write. You do know of the search function that is on boards.ie right?

If you don't want people to know details about yourself then don't tell people.

This conversation is getting way too heavy for AH...

Karl:
    I've heard that Japanese women are often treated as 2nd class citizens in Japan - so I suppose Ireland would be offering them more than life back home...

I know about the search function now.

I was helping someone with their enquries so I had to tell them about myself. I didn't expect anyone would check on me. Let's move on, I don't want any drama.

Hey everyone, sorry if I overreacted. My estate agent tried to come into my apartment without giving me any notice again. She thought I was still out. She claimed that she needed to check on the electricity meter urgently. ??? As if the meter would blow up instantly! She gave me a blank look at the word, privacy! I blew my top and things didn't end pretty. That was why I flipped when my past messages were checked.

Have a lovely evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭monosharp

I don't really think many of them would be getting a better life in Ireland, so to speak.

Quite the opposite in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭monosharp

Hey everyone, sorry if I overreacted. My estate agent tried to come into my apartment without giving me any notice again. She thought I was still out. She claimed that she needed to check on the electricity meter urgently. ??? As if the meter would blow up instantly! She gave me a blank look at the word, privacy! I blew my top and things didn't end pretty. That was why I flipped when my past messages were checked.

Have a lovely evening.

Don't take that crap, tell her next time she does that you'll smack her round using your black belt in <insert deadly sounding name here>

Seriously though a question for you. I'm not in Singapore (I assume you are Singaporean from the posts of the previous stalkers) but I'm intending on a long-term stay here in Korea and was wondering whats the best way to learn the local lingo ? (I'm asking because you seem to have fairly perfect english so you know how the transition works the other way around Asian language -> English, I'm also assuming English isn't your first language so .. I could also be wrong in that but anyways) I've being thinking about classes and they aren't exactly expensive (not cheap either) but I've also being thinking about language learning software and I don't know what to think of it, is it worth trying etc or a complete waste of time.

I know going from English -> Korean (Asian language) is very different to learning something like French or Spanish for an English speaker.

So, advice ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

I've heard that Japanese women are often treated as 2nd class citizens in Japan - so I suppose Ireland would be offering them more than life back home...
    Are you saying the Chinese treat their women better?
    "If a woman goes to live with her husband's family and they treat her well, or if she's found someone who loves and respects her, she'll be all right. If not, things will be very difficult for her.

"This is because there's a saying among men that goes: 'marrying a woman is like buying a horse: I can ride you and beat you whenever I like'."

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Having the girls being equal/ over acheivers and not taking craps from their boyfriends/ husbands like the older generation did,
    So scat is out then?
    Ahh well. At least you tried, Karl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Terry wrote: »
    So scat is out then?
    Ahh well. At least you tried, Karl.

Well, just scat from their boyfriends/husbands is out. There's still scope for some tubgirl type escapades. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

So are we getting fed at least or what?

monosharp wrote: »
    Don't take that crap, tell her next time she does that you'll smack her round using your black belt in <insert deadly sounding name here>

I know going from English -> Korean (Asian language) is very different to learning something like French or Spanish for an English speaker.

So, advice ?

People in Singapore generally have great English (better than a lot the English when it comes to grammar etc. !) It is an official language of the country.

As to advice for learning Korean - get out there and make Korean friends! I'm sure many Koreans would be just as interested in learning proper English as you are learning Korean.

SimpleSam:
    I will say that there are more extreme cases of abuse in China - buying wives/modern day slavery etc. in the less developed regions of China. Personally I haven't encountered this during my stay in the (admittedly richer parts) of Beijing, Shanghai etc.

I was commenting more on the fact that girls in Japan are expected to take a back seat to their husbands. In China (along the seaboard) this is not so as both parties have to work pretty hard to scrape a living...

Even in the rural areas the local government is trying to change viewpoints - you see giant signs telling the villagers that "women are just as good as men" etc.

Finally my comment did not imply that Chinese husbands would treat their wives better - merely that Japanese wives may have a better life in Ireland than Japan. These two points do not correlate in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Even in the rural areas the local government is trying to change viewpoints - you see giant signs telling the villagers that "women are just as good as men" etc.
    When I was in the Philippines I saw giant signs saying "domestic abuse is wrong!" which had little to no impact, as far as I could see, on the endemic abuse (among other things which I will not relate here or anywhere) in most of the villages over there, stuck in grinding poverty as they are.
    Finally my comment did not imply that Chinese husbands would treat their wives better - merely that Japanese wives may have a better life in Ireland than Japan. These two points do not correlate in my opinion.
    Ah I took that comment as a sort of snub on the Japanese. Fair enough so.

Nice to see people can be civil even on AH! :)

I can tell you that a good Chinese friend of mine asked me one night would I ever beat my wife - I was shocked by that question actually. She explained that she wasn't trying to inquire about my character but just finding out the attitudes of the people from outside. So I'm sure this problem has touched many people in China.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

And funnily enough most people mean South-East Asia when talking of "Asian fetish" - poor girls from India, Pakistan etc. hardly ever get a mention.

Not entirely true my friend! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I can tell you that a good Chinese friend of mine asked me one night would I ever beat my wife - I was shocked by that question actually. She explained that she wasn't trying to inquire about my character but just finding out the attitudes of the people from outside. So I'm sure this problem has touched many people in China.

I used to go out with a Korean girl, and as a result hung out with a lot of Koreans and Chinese.

All the boyfriends/husbands beat their partners. What was even weirder was the girls totally accepted it.

Asian men are actually very macho, which may not be evident by their (often) slim size...

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭hopalong85

dublindude wrote: »
    I used to go out with a Korean girl, and as a result hung out with a lot of Koreans and Chinese.

All the boyfriends/husbands beat their partners. What was even weirder was the girls totally accepted it.

Asian men are actually very macho, which may not be evident by their (often) slim size...

Nothing macho about beating up a woman. Having travelled through S.E. Asia this summer it does seem that a large amount of Asian men show very little respect to their partners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭digitally-yours

hopalong85 wrote: »
    Nothing macho about beating up a woman. Having travelled through S.E. Asia this summer it does seem that a large amount of Asian men show very little respect to their partners.

complete Bull****

you have been meeting wrong crowd my friend.

*If you are refering to Chinese & Koreans you could be right.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭hopalong85

complete Bull****

you have been meeting wrong crowd my friend.

*If you are refering to Chinese & Koreans you could be right.

Nope Thais, Vietnamese and Cambodians. From talking to local women it seems pretty widespread maybe wrong crowd like you say though. Also the use of prostitutes by many men with families in these countries is huge. It's an accepted part of their culture but doesn't really indicate respect for their spouses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭digitally-yours

hopalong85 wrote: »
    Nope Thais, Vietnamese and Cambodians. From talking to local women it seems pretty widespread maybe wrong crowd like you say though. Also the use of prostitutes by many men with families in these countries is huge. It's an accepted part of their culture but doesn't really indicate respect for their spouses.

Its possible. I have not been to that part specifically so cannot say for sure.
    No i think your may be right.

Although there is violence in Ireland too.
    take a stroll through Tallaght & ballymun and see the violence of men on women and women on men.

monosharp wrote: »

Seriously though a question for you. I'm not in Singapore (I assume you are Singaporean from the posts of the previous stalkers) but I'm intending on a long-term stay here in Korea and was wondering whats the best way to learn the local lingo ? (I'm asking because you seem to have fairly perfect english so you know how the transition works the other way around Asian language -> English, I'm also assuming English isn't your first language so .. I could also be wrong in that but anyways) I've being thinking about classes and they aren't exactly expensive (not cheap either) but I've also being thinking about language learning software and I don't know what to think of it, is it worth trying etc or a complete waste of time.

So, advice ?

English is the official language in Singapore. All the subjects except for Chinese of course are in English. Embarrassing fact is that a lot of Singaporean can't speak fluent Chinese well as English is often used to communicate with other races.

As for your concern about picking up Korean, my friends who often have to go to there for business trips have never complained about any language barrier. They did comment that the girls there are very pretty (be it natural or surgical, their words :p) Quite a few friends managed to pick up some Korean from watching their soap drama. I don't recommend them myself. Could not even finish an episode, they are very slow and dragging (my opinion) I think you should be fine by learning some basic words before heading there. But it would be better if you post your enquiry to those expats who are already based in Korea. They would able to give you better advice :)

• Advertisement

Damn, don't compliment on my English. Just picked up a few mistakes on the last message I just posted :)

Advertisement