Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heroes in Cork *spoiler if not seen yet*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,967 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Of course, bad enough as the Ireland scenes are, nothing can compare to this:

http://www.tv.com/lois-and-clark-the-new-adventures-of-superman/when-irish-eyes-are-killing/episode/29118/summary.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

I remember seeing that and bursting a gut laughing at how bad it was. It featured these jewels called "The Eyes Of Ireland" that glowed green when the villain put them into his eyes, IIRC.

But the worst Oirishness in tv history is this episode of the 80s Twilight Zone: The Little People of Killany Woods.

It featured a bunch of drunken Oirishmen in a pub lamenting the fact that they had no jobs. One of them started paying with pieces of gold he got from the "little people", who turned out to be miniature aliens who took off with him in a flying saucer at the end.

Here's the closing narration: "In the days to come, when human beings navigate the great depths of space, they'll eventually come to a small planet in a distant galaxy. It's a pleasant place, but quite unlike the Earth. There's one unusual similarity, however. Shamrocks grow there in great profusion, brought, they say, by one Liam O'Shaughnessey, lately of Earth and now residing in one of the greener corners of the Twilight Zone."

Classic. Must track it down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭peepingtom

had to laugh reading this ... saw the first few episodes of season 2 last night and was seriously cringing ... why the hell didnt they at least say it was based in Belfast ..... at least the accent would have been almost there :)

failing that .... finding a few real irish actors couldnt have been that hard ... surely

pure lazy like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭MayMay

Any link? Have heard so much about this but haven't seen it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭peepingtom

not sure if we can talk about ... <snip>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭MayMay

Thanks Tom...not on You Tube or anything though no?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

peeping tom banned for two weeks.

You may not talk about how or where to get full length episodes illegally. You should well know this by now, it's in the charter (of pretty much every television series forum on this site) and is in no way a new rule.

If you want clips from the series, try YouTube or Google.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

And what were they doing importing ipods into Cork? Is Apple Computers not already in Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

Do they actually make them in Cork?

Apple is much more than just iPod's you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

jeez... i'm actually ok with the stereotypes... nobody seems to mind that they portray Mexico as a bunch of run down shanty towns filled with lazy people lying around doing nothing all day. This is an american programme after all so it has to pander to how americans see the world which is an exaggerated view of the cultures of those countries. I'm just happy they are featuring Ireland at all, albeit, ireland in the 1950's with iPods and probably a load of Nissans.

I actually like that they are continuing the Irish plotline and am interested to see where they take it from here, I have a horrible feeling though that they will introduce a character with red hair who has the power of luck, and peter will have to steal his charms from him :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

L31mr0d wrote: »
    I have a horrible feeling though that they will introduce a character with red hair who has the power of luck, and peter will have to steal his charms from him :rolleyes:

Surely a contradiction? Lucky person with red hair?

I jest, I jest

L31mr0d wrote:
    I'm just happy they are featuring Ireland at all, albeit, ireland in the 1950's with iPods and probably a load of Nissans.

I can't wait for them to show a Nissan Micra with ribbon magnets stuck to it.

L31mr0d wrote: »
    I'm just happy they are featuring Ireland at all, albeit, ireland in the 1950's with iPods and probably a load of Nissans.

Plus everyone has at least one gun. Maybe the writers heard of the IRA and assumed they're an Irish branch of the NRA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Bargh descibes my views of their views on us.

Anyone notice how all the cars we've seen are ****ty and are yellow redges.Oh and the secuirty guards,wtf? what happen to the heavily armoured van with the riot helmet.

The bad thing is we cant fight back as all our sterotypes of them are real j/k:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Apparently we're not the only misrepresented place... I've been on a couple of other boards and the people from New Orleans aren't too impressed either!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

at the risk of being banned, can you not watch entire episodes LEGALLY on the nbc website?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Ian Paisley and Gerry Adams just needed to call Captain Planet! GO PLANET!!
    Guage wrote:
    Apparently we're not the only misrepresented place... I've been on a couple of other boards and the people from New Orleans aren't too impressed either!
    And the Canadians. Apparently the town they've mentioned is 100 miles from where it's said to be in the show. It seems though the Canadians are happy just to be mentioned and would even put their ten minutes of fame on the local news...
    at the risk of being banned, can you not watch entire episodes LEGALLY on the nbc website?
    It blocks non-US IP addresses - that's why you can't. And your question is non-bannable as it's asking about a legal resource.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

ah, i'm on holidays over here which is why its works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

Well the veoh player isn't illegal, and that has an NBC channel in it now which shows heroes straight from the nbc website. I presume this is legal (seeing as they delete copyrighted material if uploaded-eventually). It shows an ad before it and everything(unlike uploaded content), so I think the only difference is that it doesn't block non-us users.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Anyone catch the reg of the car Kristen Bell was sitting in near the end? Looks to me like 97 RE 1789. At least it looks like a proper Irish plate even with the Euro symbol, but "RE"? In Heroes-verse, is Roscommon so large it needs to be divided into East and West?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Maybe they were going by the new Ireland Monopoly board, where Roscommon is the most expensive one*, so they figured it was the biggest...

*How did that happen?

Faith wrote: »
    Maybe they were going by the new Ireland Monopoly board, where Roscommon is the most expensive one*, so they figured it was the biggest...

*How did that happen?
    There was an online poll to vote for which county would be the most expensive and Roscommon topped it. Cork came second. Here are the results: http://www.monopoly.ie/HoldingPage/index2.aspx

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

agamemnon wrote: »
    There was an online poll to vote for which county would be the most expensive and Roscommon topped it. Cork came second. Here are the results: http://www.monopoly.ie/HoldingPage/index2.aspx
    See when Dubs see Roscommon coming first, they roll their eyes and think of how a bunch of boggers went mad waving their county flags and thought they'd stick it to the boys in the big shmoke and go mad voting online. And if we're thinking that, then how the hell really were the Yanks going to get Cork right...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭theram

agamemnon wrote: »

Shur what with there being no leckie up in Rossie country them boys just spend every night playing Monopoly, its like Texas Hold Em to those fellas! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Sysiphus

It tooks two and a half pages to mention Rent'o'cops with guns and no pick up on it!!

Our own fair boys in blue have to fill in a gazzillion forms if the ERU even PULL their gun let alone fire it, yet the retired / ex-unemployed 60 plus would-be McDonalds worker - aka - Give me a Cap security Guard is firing more shots than the average male at a Bukake party!

If you want bad Oirish who's on for Tom Paris Holo-Village in voyager? Not since Darby O'Gill has there been such a travesty!

But back to the original post - Blue Screen - ??????? Was it FAS night? Did they decide that an ANCO trainee might get a nice bit o'xperiance??

I must say that although I watch it (and ill probably continue to), Andromeda is starting to look more and more like quality drama! So many wasted threads, so many wasted characters.

Imagine if in lost they spent the whole 10 or so episodes building up to who Henry really was - reveled it, then killed him by accidental food poisioning!

Linderman, DL, the buildup to the EXPLOSION, all wasted. whole series linderman...... Linderman.....(deep voice) Lindermaaaaan..... (deeper) LINDERMAN.

Ok writers where do we go with the supervillan? Hmm he stubs his toe and dies of the infection, nah, I know let him make a BIG speach then just have his brain pulled out!

I don't know, the show is eating itself. I'm just waiting to see what power Angela Petrelli has? Suction cup vage? Ultra Bitch eye rays? Maybe she can kill Souffle with a single glace??

Sorry just ranting at this stage, so disapointed at this stage, but I sould have known from scene one episode one when Surech in his lecture dragged out the only 10% crap!! That should have been the give away!

Sysiphus wrote: »
    It tooks two and a half pages to mention Rent'o'cops with guns and no pick up on it!!

Was mentioned on the episode thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

standbyme wrote: »
    Can any actor take off an Irish accent from TV to Movies, too many to mention as theyre just too plain shameful.

As its probably been mentioned, can they not have got an irish actor(s) bloody hell, it makes a mockery of it, or maybe some americans are dumb as maybe some one told them to put a 'cork' in it & took it literally :D;)

We'll never know :p

No offence to anyone in Cork.

Well, the guys in that Alexander movie had great Irish accents.

PS No offence taken, I have the great pleasure of living in Cork biy!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭coxy14

corblimey wrote: »
    Anyone catch the reg of the car Kristen Bell was sitting in near the end? Looks to me like 97 RE 1789. At least it looks like a proper Irish plate even with the Euro symbol, but "RE"? In Heroes-verse, is Roscommon so large it needs to be divided into East and West?

You'd think Kristen Bell might have made some comment about the stript, after all she is half Irish, half polish. By the by, if people knew that's what the future of this country might look like, I think everyone would be embracing immigration!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭monosharp

Well heres a good one for you. I'm in Asia at the moment and this happened to me a few nights ago.

note, Y = Aussie friend here.

After having a long conversation with the guy.

American: So your Y's friend ?
    Me: Yep, live in the same building.
    American: There must be a lot of Australians here.
    Me: ..... huh
    American: Your Australian aren't you. You and Y both have accents.
    Me: ROFL

Advertisement