Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introduce yourselves

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

Lovely looking mare and foal, who is the sire of the foal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 junca

@MDFM hi ;)

The sire is Andalusian as is the mare he is called Legionario XLV and was bred by the famous Cardenas stud in spain. I was very lucky to get a bay baby, my second one of the mare, as they are rare in the breed and both parents were grey which only gave me a 25% chance... but when i dropped my mare off at the stud i went over to the stallion and whispered in his ear to give me what i had always dreamed of ... a bay filly by my mare :D and he obliged bless him....
    here is a picture of her now she is almost 2 yrs now her birthday is 7th may.

Trouble is whereas mare and stallion both were very laid back characters, the stallion beautifully and calm to ride, the daughter is so so temperamental and cheeky i am not looking forward to the breaking in :rolleyes: she will be a nightmare :) .... but hey i got mum there to help with the proceedings.....

lovely pics yet again! pardon my ignorance, but do you compete with them, or the mare and if so in what area? do you show them or do they jump? I just dont know anything about the breed apart from to look at them and admire them! they are beautiful animals!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 junca

Hi MDFM :D
    I used to show my mare over in England, i also had a Lusitano mare who i did some ridden shows and dressage with and a Lusitano stallion who I did some displays with. They are very versatile animals. Originally they are bred for bullfighting and cattle work but were also used for mounted combat during the centuries, due to their agility and quick reactions, they made the perfect partner in hand to hand fighting from horseback.
    Today they are mostly used for dressage, stunt work and carriage driving, apart from in their native country, where, as i said they use them to fight the bulls. Increasingly over in england they are being used for jumping and i know some people who have partbred spanish horses for serious eventing stuff.
    But they are surprisingly good jumpers, my stallion cleared five bar gates from a standstill to get in to a mares field, my mares son turned out to have a natural talent for it and my little filly at 7 months old cleared one to get back to mum in her stable and one day proceeded to jump out of a manege over a chest high fence with a hedge behind it another 3 foot wide on to the road where my surprised friend stood on her grey horse just about to go for a hack. My little girl had mistaken her horse for mum and decided to go for a hike with her :P We were both gobsmacked luckily no car came as i rounded up the little madam and took her back to the stables :o
    Incidentally they reckon the Connemara and the Irish draft has some Andalusian blood in them due to the early trade with the spanish and if you look at them the resemblance is remarkable, the connemara almost looks like a mini spanish version they have a lot in common with both breeds.
    I love particularly their kind temperament, real love of people and their willingness to learn.
    I 've had the breed now for over 10 yrs and am terribly smitten :D

hey, just sent you a pm!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 starpixie

Hi guys,
    I have finally got back into riding after a break of nearly 15years. Had my first refresher lesson yesterday and am taking a horse on livery from the riding school. Delighted to be back riding, bit of a sore behind today - but well worth it. Will post some pics of Star soon.

Mags

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

hils1 wrote: »
    Hi I'm Hils, living in Rathcoole Co. Dublin only moved to this side of the city tho Rathcoole, Saggart or nearby areas.
    junca wrote: »
    Hi I am new to this forum. Have moved to Ireland last year and loving the countryside so much, just the weather takes some getting used to.[...] Living in the West of Ireland in County Galway sadly seem to be far removed from all the action here but its lovely and pieceful here. so hi to all.....
    starpixie wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I have finally got back into riding after a break of nearly 15years. Had my first refresher lesson yesterday and am taking a horse on livery from the riding school. Delighted to be back riding, bit of a sore behind today - but well worth it. Will post some pics of Star soon.

Mags

Welcome to forum guys :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

Interesting forum.. hi I'm Tad, I'm 23 grew up hunting and point to pointing, have been involved in show-jumping moreso in the last few years but hoping to get back into racing again soon when I move back out of Dublin:).

Welcome to the forum!

I figured with a name like that there must be some racing blood in you!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭may06

Hi, new poster here, lurking along time. Few pics of us in action attached..hopefully, 1st attempt at uploading pics!

• Advertisement

may06 wrote: »
    Hi, new poster here, lurking along time. Few pics of us in action attached..hopefully, 1st attempt at uploading pics!

They're great pictures - your horse really seems to jump for fun! :)

Welcome to the forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭may06

Thanks Convert! He's no angel by any means, he has his moments, but we have a lot of fun together! Posted a few more pics on the Photos thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭ironia

hello my name is Nadina
    was dreaming about horses as long as I remmember myself. grown up with beautiful books about horses, because my mother when was teenager has competing. have painted horses everywhere, on the wall in kitchen too :)

when I was 10, just told to my father "take me to the stable, i am ready to work hard until they take me into their crowd"

I loved horses, and allways think, if I could choose any animal I will be wild horse.. I am now free one..

after 10 years of riding I found myself in crazy and problematic horse's working, also took for rehabilitation sick horses.. why? I got very serious trauma of my back ang knee. I almost lost my leg ang life at all. took a little brake of riding.
    at the same time with hospitals I was studiing designs and arts, but allways started crying, when seen my riding gear.. doctors told, I probably can die in few years, because they found a tumor in my head.. I went crazy about it..

one day I was reading horse forum and wrote, that I want to help in any stable, I don't, actually, I can't ride, just want to be with horses..
    One master of showjumping wrote me, invited to be in her stables..
    first she gave me horse after surgery, then next one.. I tried to walk with them, tried to sit in saddle, them first trot, first canter.. og GOd.. in one year I was felt really good.. I can already ride 5 horses at list and still feel good..
    horses let me to forget about my sickness.. I told them thank you, as I allways will say it.. horse ir my divinity. thay helped me, I helped them.. I understand what means to be sick, I understood sick horses. I just strted to undertand them at all. I forgot about doctors..

after my rahabilitation I started to take horses from people they wanted to put them down.. I can't I can't let them eat horses NO!

working working working, walking and talking with them.. crazy stallions became a small dogies in my arms, crazy mares was my best friends.. I felt I can give them as much as they need.. I have learned some Natural horsemanship, but I am not Naturalst, no no.. I am classical young and problematical horse trainer, I use all I know. from NH to classical methods in riding.

5 years ago I took my first digital camera to competitions.. one shoot second third.. everyone liked them.. then I tried to do it more and more.. until it became my job..

I went to all competitons as groom to my trainer in showjumping and made some shoots.. ok good job Nadina.. nice job.

last two years I am official photographer at my contry Equestrian federation. own magazine about horses and still taking young horses for teaching and riding..

horses is lovely hobby, but photography is my hobby, which feeds me..
    I will never be a sportsman, I will never be a great rider, but I know what horses are feeling and this is much for me!

me and Abrek last summer

n1355064838_95496_782.jpg

me and Sikaro (my driving horse)
    10210_big.jpg

with Ciceron
    n1355064838_95497_4392.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭li-evo7

I'm Lisa. I have ridden horses since I was 5. My mam owns a big livery yard in South Dublin. Since I came off ponies I have bought young horses and brought them on and sold them. I did this because I havent had time to go out competing every week on the one horse and get anywhere with it. Have more time now so bought my own horse the other day. He has just turned 5 in June and is almost 16hh. Bit more growing to do when I muscle him up a bit. Hoping to do some training shows and work him up to 1m10s and hopefully take it from there. Hoping to have a lot of fun with him. His name is Prince. I will post up some pics when he arrives on Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 purechancer

these are my babies
    glen ad robbie baily :)
    5700740810a11186094569l.jpg
    misty at mini tetrathlon

5700740810a10715358723l.jpglove them :):):) <3<3

these are my babies
    misty at mini tetrathlon

They're lovely photos - and nice ponies, too! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Theponylady

I was so pleased to see an IRISH horse board!

I'm a former trainer now mainly instructor(some health issues made riding regularly difficult-a real problem for a trainer!), been making my living at it for 30 years now. Was big into ponies(but have trained many of most types of horses over the years)photo.php?pid=1256146&id=634373366, had a few national champions and horse of the years in the states. Have trained eventers, working hunters, jumpers, along with driving horses, racehorses(flat only, never got the chance to work with steeplechase or national hunt horses), western horses, etc. I've had many opportunities to work with some really fantastic people and horses.

I've gotten more and more into natural horsemanship the past 10 or so years. I really love learning as much as possible about horses and what makes them tick. Sure makes my job easier!

I have a fabulous now older(18 years old) Connemara who does everything-show jumps, hunts, drives, does tricks, you name it. Also a wonderful Lippizan stallion formerly of the Spanish Riding School in austria. I've only ever ridden to medium level dressage, I'm having a fab time learning to ride upper level movements.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Theponylady

n634373366_1256145_5075.jpgAh ha! I have now figured out how to include photos here!

This is me and my 18 year old Connemara Brannigan(Balius Derring Do), doing an exhibition at the Western states horse expo in california years ago. I've had him since he was 4 months old. Best pony in the world!

Welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 lenaw98

new here too, mad foreigner (Finnish) with arabs - well have lived in Ireland since 1988 -came to work here back in the dark ages for Paul Darragh.

Have 5 kids, all girls, the youngest are 11 yr old twins who are horse mad, tried to keep them away from horses but didnt succeed with them. I have 2 Arabs, a stallion and a wee mare who has grown since last year when I bought her as a very green baby at 4 yrs old - riding her again now and she is going well and is jumping like a trooper, grown a lot too - pic is from last year when she looked like a wee whippet ; ) . The stallion is a gent, very sweet and so easy to work with - the kids ride him too.

Nice to have a forum for equestrianism in Ireland!

Lena in Meath

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭mothoin

howya doing,

been reading the is page for yonks now, decided i may aswell join, i'll post pics of my nag later, hopefully it'll be fun!

Welcome :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 xblondyx

these are my babies
    misty at mini tetrathlon

Is the grey horse called Charlie by any chance?

Lovely horses, Lena. I really like the bay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭XxAshlingxX

Hi
    Love Sji And Evening!!!!!!! Have To try and fit college around it tho !!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Shelleysbaby

Hey im new here in boards that is.
    I probably should say a little about myself.
    Well im 17 going 18 this feb, have been riding since i was 2 in a place called old school i think, im pretty sure it was near Kill.
    The first pony i ever road was Champ he was deadly.
    Im into Showjumping and X-Country, after the new year im going to start doing some dressage as i heard that if i wanted to do my BHS Stage one i would have to get some dressage in there i only know some of it like Extened trot and canter and collected trot and canter and then i kinda know how to do a shoulder in but thats about it.
    I have rode at loads of diffrent schools such as,
    Kill International
    Kildare International when it was in Osbertstown in Sallins
    Coolmine
    Kellystown
    and Old School.
    It's great to finally have a forum for us horsey people.
    Unfortunaly I don't own a horse myself since I live in Dublin and don't have any land =(.
    My favorite horse at the moment has to be Harry tho he's deadly.
    I'll see if I can put up a picture of him.
    Would love to train to be a Instructor but don't know how to go about it, Advice would be greatly appreciated.
    I would put a pic up put its taking way to long haha maybe in another post.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Tazpm

Hey Hun you'll need your BHS stages 1,2 & 3 and your ptt If you go to grennen collage equestrian you can do the exams and you can do the Irish equivilent aswell!

Is Grennan the only place that does it? Or are there other places?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Tazpm

Nah, tis a good place though! there is loads of places if your keen. Callickstown and/ Brennenstown up your way! Piltown collage has a lots of courses and also does the bhs exams

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭XxAshlingxX

You should ask at riding schools around where you live as you can study 4 de exams your self with help 4m a Riding school also Ive looked up the airc one which is the irish exams but they are not accepted 4teaching in most riding schools.so ide say do the bhs ones :-)

Advertisement