Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Aww:) Enjoy it and good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Good luck! It's so amazing when you see the little heartbeat, the hands, feet, face etc. I find my iPhone a lifesaver when I'm waiting in the hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Winnie

Well I'm going to Doc's today to have pregnancy confirmed and I will be 5 weeks tommorrow so should I be going for a scan already?? I thought the first scan was at 12 weeks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Winnie wrote: »
    Well I'm going to Doc's today to have pregnancy confirmed and I will be 5 weeks tommorrow so should I be going for a scan already?? I thought the first scan was at 12 weeks?

first scan for us shouldn't have been till 20 weeks - think you only get a scan earlier if there's a specific reason. we paid for a scan at a private clinic which showed something we needed to get checked out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

tbh wrote: »
    first scan for us shouldn't have been till 20 weeks - think you only get a scan earlier if there's a specific reason. we paid for a scan at a private clinic which showed something we needed to get checked out.
    People like type 1 diabetic's get monitored from the begining of pregnancy as their insulin requirements can vary widely through the pregnancy.

• Advertisement

Well I was on meds for hyperthyroidism but its all under control now so i think i should be ok

Winnie depending on your hospital you may get a 12wk and a 20wk scan or just one scan around 18wks. I had a 12 and 20 wk.

We also had a private scan at 9 wks purely for reassurance as I hot pregnant straight away and we were nervous. The earliest they can detect a heartbeat us around 6-7 wks so they advise you to wait until 8wks so you don't see anything, waste your money and go home disapponted.

We saw a string heartbeat at 9 wks and then told the parents as we felt reassured that everything was ok.

Well I was on meds for hyperthyroidism but its all under control now so i think i should be ok
    Ask your doctor, where I attend the people with thyroid issues are also seen. I have an underactive thyroid myself.

Well my thyroid consultant knew we were trying for a baby and told me to call him if i got pregnant so once i see my GP today, i will then call my consultant to see what he says.

Well my thyroid consultant knew we were trying for a baby and told me to call him if i got pregnant so once i see my GP today, i will then call my consultant to see what he says.
    With my pregnancy the maternity hospital kept an eye on it - I am a type 1 diabetic also though (and a few other things). I had my son fine.

• Advertisement

Can I ask which hospital you are with?

Can I ask which hospital you are with?
    Holles Street again :D They looked after us very well but you do spend half the day there when you are there (with the diabetes there is no point in going private/semi).

yeah was trying to decide between Rotunda and Holles St but think I am going with Holles St, plus it's where I was born! :-)

yeah was trying to decide between Rotunda and Holles St but think I am going with Holles St, plus it's where I was born! :-)
    Aww, you have to go there then...it is very busy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭May79

CathyMoran wrote: »
    I hope that it all goes well for you - hugs.

Thanks Cathy :rolleyes:
    Squiggler wrote: »
    Oh, and I had no 'morning sickness'. Aside from the tiredness, which passed after 11 weeks, I found the worst thing was what my sister called "Dog nose" - super heightened sense of smell is not a blessing.

I was so afraid when i didn't have the morning sickness... Just a little nausea. I was willing myself to be ill as it's a good sign apparently! Doc told me to count myself very lucky i didn't have it... Now i do. I have read so many horror stories.Thankfully We got this far with no real problems. Headaches are my vice. Sometimes they are debilitating.
    xzanti wrote: »
    Best of luck :)

Just a bit of a side note.. When I went to have my pregnancy confirmed at week 5 my Doctor wasn't there, it was a female locum and she basically made me feel like I was crazy for even being there so early.. Her attitude was, if I did a home pregnancy test then and it was '+' then I was pregnant and there was no need for her waste her time doing another one on me :rolleyes: she also said not to get my hopes up until around week 12..
    Anyway, my point is, I hope you get a nicer Doctor than her, but if you do have a similar experience, don't let it dampen your spirits :) cause I let it get me down something terrible, I really expected to be made to feel special when I went along but I ended up coming out feeling like I may aswel give up :(

That is BRUTAL TREATMENT. Really awful. I was 5 weeks (according to clear blue digi) and a locum said i wasn't pregnant. Back to my regular gp 2 weeks later feeling ill she did another test and was really angry i was put off by previous doc as i should have been on folic acid and vitamins etc. I was so scared & a little angry. It's a happy joyous time and we all deserve best treatment available whether we have underlying issues or a straightforward pregnancy.
    Moonbeam wrote: »
    What a cow,I booked the hospital @ 6 weeks last time and got a lecture about how I was leaving it so late,booked at 4 weeks this time thinking I was well ahead of the game and most of the consultants were booked out for months.

I tried to get same consultant my SIL used - March, April and May 2011 is fully booked!!! Baby boom or what :o
    I'm in the hospital right now with my girlfriend waiting on our first scan. Lots of waiting so the iPhone is helping me I'll the boredom!

Hope all went well x.

You prob won't see anything otehr than the sac this early. I was sent for 1 at 9 weeks and baby was visible then. Wait a few more weeks you'll see much much more.;)
    Good luck! It's so amazing when you see the little heartbeat, the hands, feet, face etc. I find my iPhone a lifesaver when I'm waiting in the hospital.

I have to go again tomorrow for another scan. 15 weeks last monday so hoping we'll see loads of details :D Excitement is keeping me awake but i am waiting to see if we are out of the woods (high risk) but i think by looking down at the balooning tummy we're good to go :)

Good luck to everyone. It's a fantastic time for all of us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

3524BC67077C438D923D95E1DC5DECFD-0000331925-0001986030-00800L-07964B97D2E548A18DBD1FC32C9FA63D.jpg

I told them my craving at the hospital (spinnach) - the laughed in good way. Still do not feel pregnant - when I see the baby in a scan I will - am so tempted to get a private scan as I am not bonding with this one yet and it upsets me.

May79 wrote: »
    I have to go again tomorrow for another scan. 15 weeks last monday so hoping we'll see loads of details :D Excitement is keeping me awake but i am waiting to see if we are out of the woods (high risk) but i think by looking down at the balooning tummy we're good to go :)
    Best wishes with that scan tomorrow - have everything crossed for you. At 15 weeks they are real kicking little babies, they just need to grow - they are gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭newmammy2011

Ooh I was craving tuna last week! Bought some tins at the weekend to have for lunches during the week but made up a tuna mix on monday night and ate 3 tins of it on Carrs water biscuits!! nom nom nom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

newmammy, not sure if you know this but a lot of the advice to pregnant women is to avoid, or severely limit their intake of tuna.

EUmom.ie and the book I have "What to Expect When You're Expecting" both advise no more than once a week during pregnancy.

• Advertisement

yep I read the same thing about Tuna, just be careful as they contain mercury.

May79 speak to your gp about the headaches. I started getting really bad ones from 12 wks and they would last for days. The hospital were quite dismissive about them but my doc checked my back and that was the source of the headaches.

I'm not saying it's the same for you but I've been doing yoga, taking baths, doing my back stretching exercises everyday and doing weekly deep tissue massage and I rarely get headaches now.

I had a pre-existing back and neck problem which never gave me headaches before pregnancy but holy moly they were awful. Don't just assume it's normal.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Awe congrats abouttobebanned :D That's so cute.. wait til you see how much s/he will have grown on your next scan.. It's actually scary :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Awe congrats abouttobebanned :D That's so cute.. wait til you see how much s/he will have grown on your next scan.. It's actually scary :p

I'm just glad that one is over. I was very worried!

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭newmammy2011

Squiggler wrote: »
    newmammy, not sure if you know this but a lot of the advice to pregnant women is to avoid, or severely limit their intake of tuna.

EUmom.ie and the book I have "What to Expect When You're Expecting" both advise no more than once a week during pregnancy.
    yep I read the same thing about Tuna, just be careful as they contain mercury.

Thanks for that!
    Wouldnt generally eat it...dont actually think I have at all since ive been pregnant and at the moment have no plans to!
    But just had to have it :o

I'm just glad that one is over. I was very worried!
    It's normal, you'll worry right til the end.. Even when they're kicking the bejesus out of your gf, you'll still be worried.. I think it lasts about 18 years or so :D

It's normal, you'll worry right til the end.. Even when they're kicking the bejesus out of your gf, you'll still be worried.. I think it lasts about 18 years or so :D
    The "or so" is the rest of your life! Children are brilliant though - the amount of laughs ahead of you :)

CathyMoran wrote: »
    The "or so" is the rest of your life!
    Very true :D

Very true :D
    I should record my son's laughing - he is doing it at the minute and he laughs a lot - the end result is worth everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭May79

Cathy - Spinnach??? that's so funny (not chocolate or coal or something!!) Maybe due to iron difficiency?

Advertisement