Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Hi everyone, hope you're all doing brilliantly. Its been forever since I last logged on here. I was away on holidays for a couple of weeks and am now back at work- at least until 12pm and then I'm off to the Coombe for an ante natal appointment so my first day back is a half day which isn't too bad! Also after this week I have only 13 (or maybe 14 we'll see) weeks to go until I am on maternity leave. Well that is unless hte little one decides to put in an early appearance.
    Holidays were great it was nice to get home and back to my own bed again though. I always feel like I'm a hundred years old when I say things like that:P.
    Had my first bad nights sleep due to pregnancy (in ages) on Saturday night. I went to bed at around 9pm super tired and convinced that I'd sleep really well. The baby, having been super active over the previous 36 hours decided to carry on with the hokey pokey all night long. Once foot was firmly lodged in my stomach so I had horrific heartburn for the first time ever and then two hands and a head we're rocking out to some Ibiza inspired tune the baby must have been hearing in its own head.
    I love, really and truly love feeling the baby move and don't want to ever not want to feel the little one move but OMG the movement didn't have to be quite so full on all night.
    In the end, with my back in bits and truly frustrated, I got up again at 12am and went downstairs to watch stuff I'd Sky + while I was away. Eventually several doses of Rennie (useless stuff, got Gaviscon yesterday and it works much better), two paracetamol and sheer exhaustion later, I got to sleep at 03:30.
    Slept like a log last night though so all is well in the world again. :)
    I'm 23+ 6 today and my bump, although still quite small really, has gotten quite big to me. We're going to get started on the baby equipment shopping this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Hi guys - quick question. I see a lot of talk about bumps "popping" - just how dramatic is it?

I'm 16 weeks and today have been pretty crampy and feeling like I can't fully straighten up. I'm convinced my belly has grown since last night.

I have had some bread and yesterday a bit of pastry - however this type of food never made me bloated before. I'm just wondering if this is the "pop" people talk about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Whispered wrote: »
    Hi guys - quick question. I see a lot of talk about bumps "popping" - just how dramatic is it?

I'm 16 weeks and today have been pretty crampy and feeling like I can't fully straighten up. I'm convinced my belly has grown since last night.

I have had some bread and yesterday a bit of pastry - however this type of food never made me bloated before. I'm just wondering if this is the "pop" people talk about.

Mine grew slowly and steadily...it's only the past couple of weeks (im 40 weeks) that it feels at epic levels of the John Hurt in Alien variety:-)

Girls I wanted to ask about being induced...Im 2 days over and have appointment on weds, if they say they want to induce me will they take me in and force my fiance home? We really want to stay together the whole time:-(

Whispered wrote: »

My bump arrived with a pop over the last two weeks. For ages I had nothing at all, then my tummy got a little tiny bit rounder but that was it for the longest time. Then all of a sudden it just popped out and is there to stay. It's still very neat really especially considering the stage I am at for my pregnancy but I am quite tall so there must be a little extra room in there for the little one. Also it's my first baby so I believe you tend to be smaller with them.
    What made me really know it was a baby bump rather than bloating is that when I bend over to put my socks or shoes on the bump doesn't bend where as with bloating its moveable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

SmokeyEyes wrote: »
    Mine grew slowly and steadily...it's only the past couple of weeks (im 40 weeks) that it feels at epic levels of the John Hurt in Alien variety:-)

Girls I wanted to ask about being induced...Im 2 days over and have appointment on weds, if they say they want to induce me will they take me in and force my fiance home? We really want to stay together the whole time:-(

Usually unless you are in established labour they will send your fiancé home because you will be in a ward not a delivery suite until you are at least 3cm dialated (or hooked up to an oxytocin drip, have to go to delivery suite for that too). Depending on the midwives though some might let you stay, they sent my partner home in the Rotunda nearly 3 years ago when I wasn't in established labour but this time they let him (and others too) stay. We were in the induction part of the delivery suite both times so I reckon it totally depends on the midwives on duty.

• Advertisement

January wrote: »
    Usually unless you are in established labour they will send your fiancé home because you will be in a ward not a delivery suite until you are at least 3cm dialated (or hooked up to an oxytocin drip, have to go to delivery suite for that too). Depending on the midwives though some might let you stay, they sent my partner home in the Rotunda nearly 3 years ago when I wasn't in established labour but this time they let him (and others too) stay. We were in the induction part of the delivery suite both times so I reckon it totally depends on the midwives on duty.

Thanks so much for the info...if induction happens we'll cross our fingers and hope for the extra nice midwives:-) But here's hoping it happens naturally...I still have high hopes:-)

Meant to be a hot one tomo girls so take it easy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

SmokeyEyes request a morning induction, that way your husband will be able to stay with you for the whole day :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

im week 27 and my antenatal isnt till the end of july is this normal, midwife said we were lucky to get an appointment as there is a baby boom in cork

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Karmella

im week 27 and my antenatal isnt till the end of july is this normal, midwife said we were lucky to get an appointment as there is a baby boom in cork

I'm 26 weeks. I was in CUMH for 20 week appt, and was told to go to gp for 24 wk and then back to CUMH for 32 wk.

so that's a 12 week gap between hospital appointments! I think they have changed timings since my last pregnancy there. (4 yrs ago).

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

Holy crap!!! That is a huge gap between appointments ladies! Doesn't seem fair at all. I am seen every 4-6 weeks and I am 25 weeks pregnant. Usually I see the midwife 4 weeks after I see the consultant. A baby boom should not impact the level of care a woman is given, that is very disappointing to read.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

i just checked my ante natal appointment mid august, ffs i am due mid september
    bit late to be doing the classes

Karmella wrote: »
    I'm 26 weeks. I was in CUMH for 20 week appt, and was told to go to gp for 24 wk and then back to CUMH for 32 wk.

so that's a 12 week gap between hospital appointments! I think they have changed timings since my last pregnancy there. (4 yrs ago).

The doctor I saw at the Coombe yesterday said that it is generally only on your first pregnancy that you get so many appointments. Could you see your GP/ practice nurse between your hospital appointments?

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Karmella

The doctor I saw at the Coombe yesterday said that it is generally only on your first pregnancy that you get so many appointments. Could you see your GP/ practice nurse between your hospital appointments?

Well yes i think because at my last hospital appt all was going fine they may have thought I'd be grand til 32, with 1 gp check up in between.

It certainly is very busy in cork, and I was given the option to go to the outreach clinic in st Finbarrs instead of having to trek into the maternity hospital again. Suits me fine, I had an hour & a half wait between seeing the midwife & the consultant last time I was up there!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

That sounds like a normal check up time... you'll see your gp usually in between times. I had my booking app at 12 weeks and was told to make an app for 24 weeks in the hospital and 1 visit to the gp around 18 - 20 weeks. Its not until you get past 32/34 weeks that you get apps closer together, usually every 2 weeks alternating gp and hospital and then every week alternating after 38 weeks.
    The combined care scheme is every 4 weeks be it gp or hospital so going on you weeks you had you could go back to your gp at 28 weeks... at any time if you're worried you can always see your gp.
    I'm 19 weeks today and i've had one hospital app and the initial gp visit at 5 weeks. Other than a scare that sent me to A&E for 7 hours i would be due to my doc next week and the glucose test at 25 weeks and my next hospital app at 26 weeks. Tbh I wouldn't have the patience for any more visits than that :D specially in this heat !!

It treated myself super nicely today. I took the day off work, had a lie in, then has a pregnancy massage which was so very lovely. Tried and failed to buy maternity clothes for work. Went to Next but found their selection very poor- the dresses they had were like tents and the few pairs of trousers were all under bump which I can't stand.
    Also tried New Look but they had nothing suitable for my work really nor did Top Shop. So will be back to what seems to have become my favourite new shop- O Jo Maman Bebe. I've really liked the stuff I've gotten there already so I suppose if it ain't broke why fix it.
    Enjoying the weather now too- it's nice and sunny but not too hot. All kinds of perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Good little piece about giving birth and how it's different for everyone

http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/5506390?utm_hp_ref=uk

Merkin wrote: »
    Good little piece about giving birth and how it's different for everyone

http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/5506390?utm_hp_ref=uk

It's definitely no one's business...find it so strange there's a weird sense of competition about it when there never would be to any other sort of procedure or hospital experience in life!

The thought of the epidural keeps me calm and happy...really hope it works on me ok!

So a week overdue and still waiting...hard waiting knowing it could start any minute and needing it to to save me being induced on Tuesday, yet really wanting to not face it:-)

I know, it's such a personal thing and regardless of the best of intentions or 'planning', intervention and all kinds of help are often required, it doesn't make any individuals birth experience any 'less' than the woman who is lucky enough to have a natural birth.

Wow so you're a week over now Smokey! How are you feeling m'dear? I'm sure a bit like an impatient hen sitting on an egg! Are you still managing to sleep etc? Hope everything goes really well for you xx

I know, it's such a personal thing and regardless of the best of intentions or 'planning', intervention and all kinds of help are often required, it doesn't make any individuals birth experience any 'less' than the woman who is lucky enough to have a natural birth.

Wow so you're a week over now Smokey! How are you feeling m'dear? I'm sure a bit like an impatient hen sitting on an egg! Are you still managing to sleep etc? Hope everything goes really well for you xx

Feeling very pregnant:D I've only finally wound down to letting pregnancy defeat me in the last few days so now it's just feet up, comforting food and playing the waiting game until the clock runs out on Tuesday!

Sleeping ok actually I'm the calmest I've been all of pregnancy, just feel more focused and accepting of the fact I've run out of time and this is gonna happen in the next couple of days one way or the other! May feel differently once labour actually starts though:eek: But I've done my 9 months, think we deserve a nice labour and a beautiful baby to enjoy at the end of it so we can start a new chapter where my body isn't an incubation chamber!:pac:

That's great you're sleeping well. Good to be as rested as possible before the bg event so you can use those energy stores.

You must be so excited!! Do you feel you could go before Tuesday?

• Advertisement

That's great you're sleeping well. Good to be as rested as possible before the bg event so you can use those energy stores.

You must be so excited!! Do you feel you could go before Tuesday?

It comes and goes, mucus plug has been coming away since show on Weds and sore back and cramps and Braxton Hicks on and off but I have no idea now. All I'm happy with is I'm already 2-3cm dilated so even if this is all false labour pains it's helping me get along the road!

We're thinking now it may not happen until Tuesday but I could easily wake up tonight with it all kicking off! I just really want to get labour done and dusted so badly!! We're so excited but I can't get into it because I just see labour looming over me and fiance is nervous too although he's being great to keep me calm. Just want to fast forward to the part where we're all brought up to the ward happy and healthy and can enjoy the fact we have a baby, I'm thinking so much about labour our baby will actually be a surprise at the end!

Silly question but how do you know how dilated you are? Excuse my ignorance!

Your baby is going to be such a reward at the end of it, I'm sure you'll do brilliantly.

Silly question but how do you know how dilated you are? Excuse my ignorance!

Your baby is going to be such a reward at the end of it, I'm sure you'll do brilliantly.

We had an appointment on Wednesday and were already over due date at that stage, by luck got the master of the Rotunda, he did an internal and said I was really favourable, cervix was soft and already 2-3cm dilated and as he examined me I had a bloody show so he said he'd eat his hat if I didn't go before I needed to be induced. He's booked me in to be induced on Tuesday but thinks I'll go myself an ever since he examined me there has been show and then mucus plug (bleugh)!

So all the heavy Braxton Hicks and cramps and back pains are pushing me along which is great, hoping it'll make a difference when the time comes!

Lolers ok, I thought you'd got a ruler out or something......!

Still three days until Tuesday so plenty of time for bubs to come of his own volition if he fancies it!

Lolers ok, I thought you'd got a ruler out or something......!

Still three days until Tuesday so plenty of time for bubs to come of his own volition if he fancies it!

Haha I have no interest in downstairs at the moment, the less I know the better!:D

Yep he has a few days left until he's served his eviction notice!

Awww the little dote. He's claiming squatters rights at the moment then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

Just a quick note on sleeping better at the end I found I never went too long more once I started getting good sleep.. Happened both times! Reckon your close

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Just a quick note on sleeping better at the end I found I never went too long more once I started getting good sleep.. Happened both times! Reckon your close

Yep i was the same both times too. Like your bodies way of getting a good rest to have more energy for labour. Good luck.

Suucee wrote: »
    Yep i was the same both times too. Like your bodies way of getting a good rest to have more energy for labour. Good luck.

Ah thanks girls...nothing happening today yet...starting to look like Ill still need to be induced on Tuesday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

Both times I had sex the night before I went into labour
    My little man I went into labour at 9pm the next eve and with little woman it was 2am the following night.. Who knows

Advertisement