Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Must stop spending money! Personally I blame the internet, the banks (for making it so easy with their new visa debit card), the lovely shops and my husband for my spending over the last couple of weeks!
    Obviously it can't be my fault.

I bought a few things that would do me for all of my pregnancy. Except they didn't. I bought jeans, a dress and 3 tops that first time. Accepted that I'd need work clothes too in a while. All was grand.
    Then I went onto the Boob Design website..... bought some more stuff. Resolved to send some of it back when it arrived.
    It all came last Friday (having been ordered on Monday, excellent service with tracking all the way). I tried it on and loved it all. So new resolution - will keep this stuff and buy nothing else.....maybe.
    Met my sisters in town last Friday morning to buy clothes for the oldest sister and a party she was going to. She got nothing and I got two new tops from the Jools collection in Arnotts by lunchtime.
    New resolution - would only buy work clothes for the pregnancy from now on.
    Went to Jo Jo on Wicklow Street. Bought a Bella Band (very reasonable purchase) and 3 new tops. They're fab. Wearing one to work now and one yesterday. They are nice for casual with jeans too.
    Resolution clearly held.
    For a while.
    Went to Mothercare on my lunchbreak yesterday to try out the Silver Cross buggy that I really like.
    Decided I think thats the one for me.
    Left with a pair of cropped white skinny jeans, a vest top and a pair of combat type trousers for holidays.

Decided to leave my wallet at home from now on and bring just enough money to buy a cup of tea at work. I also bring my lunch with me.

:o:o:o:o
    I love all of my new stuff though.

Baby kicking lots and lots now and I love it so much. My husband felt it kick for the first time, every so gently on Sunday evening and I was delighted for him.
    Big scan on Friday. Absolutely dying for it.
    Wonder what I'll wear to the scan. Obviously I have nothing to wear. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Good luck with your big scan today Penny, and enjoy every moment. You'll be smitten when you get to see the little one now that they are a bit bigger. :)

Merkin wrote: »
    Good luck with your big scan today Penny, and enjoy every moment. You'll be smitten when you get to see the little one now that they are a bit bigger. :)

Thank you Merkin. I'm really looking forward to it. Obviously I'm keen to get the ok on the baby itself but operating on the assumption that there is no bad news I'm really looking forward to seeing how much bigger the little one has gotten. I was looking at the 12 week scan this morning and it will be brilliant to compare the two pictures.
    The baby is moving about so much now and I'm loving that. The movements are still gentle enough so as to be fun and delightful, I'm sure in a while when the kicks are full on kicks I'll be pleading with the baby for a break.
    Hope you're doing well? Time is flying isn't it? I have (at the very most) 19 week of the pregnancy left. Less to do than I've done and I can hardly believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Feel really heavily pregnant just in the last few days, himself feels like he weighs a ton and I'm starting to struggle with the ol' walks and just moving in general!

Aww it's such a lovely chance to have a good look at how they are developing and growing. Hopefully the little one will pose for you and you'll get some good pictures! Are you going to find out the flavor today?

For me I've never found his constant moving annoying, I just love the sensation of it tbh, growing my little bubs in there and keeping him snug is just lovely so I love how often he reminds me of that :)

I'm doing great thanks. In my 32nd week now, it really is flying by and I'm just super excited! :D Off to London for weekend so looking forward to that.

• Advertisement

Aww it's such a lovely chance to have a good look at how they are developing and growing. Hopefully the little one will pose for you and you'll get some good pictures! Are you going to find out the flavor today?

For me I've never found his constant moving annoying, I just love the sensation of it tbh, growing my little bubs in there and keeping him snug is just lovely so I love how often he reminds me of that :)

I'm doing great thanks. In my 32nd week now, it really is flying by and I'm just super excited! :D Off to London for weekend so looking forward to that.

32 weeks! Wowsers. When you find out you're pregnant 39/42 weeks seems forever but it really does go by quickly doesn't it?
    Enjoy London lots. I'm off on holidays next week, on Friday for a fortnight and I'm really looking forward to it.
    I'm loving the kicks and tumbles and can't see myself ever getting fed up with them but then you all the other women who tell you x,y,z.......arrggghhh. I am trying very hard to stay well clear of them.
    I probably will find out whether it's a boy or girl. I'm kinda convinced its a boy anyway (for no particular reason I just am) and my husband would really like to so I think if we get a good view and have the opportunity to find out then we will. I don't think I'll tell family and friends though, I like have some things just to ourselves.

So we had the scan last Friday and it went really well. My dates were confirmed and hadn't changed at all so we're still on schedule (as far as you ever really can be) for October 7th.
    All of the bits for the baby were there right where they need to be - one of what its meant to have one of and two of all the bits it should have two of.
    Seeing the heart function fully, the chambers and blood flow in and out was really cool.
    Baby was a brat though, having been super active all day and night on Wednesday and pretty busy on Thursday, the little one decided to have a resting day on Friday and hardly moved at all. Took some persuading to get the baby to turn but it did in the end.
    Got some lovely pics and it was brilliant to compare them to the 12 week scan and see how much they have grown.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

So we had the scan last Friday and it went really well. My dates were confirmed and hadn't changed at all so we're still on schedule (as far as you ever really can be) for October 7th.
    All of the bits for the baby were there right where they need to be - one of what its meant to have one of and two of all the bits it should have two of.
    Seeing the heart function fully, the chambers and blood flow in and out was really cool.
    Baby was a brat though, having been super active all day and night on Wednesday and pretty busy on Thursday, the little one decided to have a resting day on Friday and hardly moved at all. Took some persuading to get the baby to turn but it did in the end.
    Got some lovely pics and it was brilliant to compare them to the 12 week scan and see how much they have grown.

glad your scan went well :) It is so cool to see them in there :)

glad your scan went well :) It is so cool to see them in there :)

It was lovely. Its funny how each time I've had a scan I've been really relieved to see the baby is still in there. Its not like it would have gone anywhere without me noticing something is it:o.
    Its brilliant to see the heart beating strong and steady and with each thing that is checked you can cross one worry or concern off your list.
    I had expected this scan to be very emotional for me/ us but we were both quite surprised that while we loved it of course, and it was brilliant to see the little one again and have confirmation that all was well, it wasn't quite the same rush of emotion as the very first one was. Maybe this was because the baby was having a quiet day and so wasn't up to a whole lot.:confused:
    Although that said when I say it lying back, legs crossed at the ankles and hands clasped together with the fingers entwined it reminded me so much of my granny who used to snooze in her chair by the fire in that exact pose. We did have a little wave or two from the baby and when s/he turned and rubbed their face it was very cute.
    I find when I feel the kicks and activity as they turn around inside me much more emotional and reassuring too I suppose as its a daily occurance.
    I went to see the new X Men movie last night and the baby really liked it:D especially when Hugh Jackman appeared on screen. Great taste really.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

One of the girls in the facebook group I'm in posted this morning to say her little one has passed away. So very sad :( I am sorry for bringing the tone of the thread down but I just can't stop thinking about it. It's all that's been on my mind all day. Makes me treasure every single kick! Puts all the hard parts of pregnancy into perspective.

• Advertisement

Isolt wrote: »
    One of the girls in the facebook group I'm in posted this morning to say her little one has passed away. So very sad :( I am sorry for bringing the tone of the thread down but I just can't stop thinking about it. It's all that's been on my mind all day. Makes me treasure every single kick! Puts all the hard parts of pregnancy into perspective.

It certainly does. I had a big moan today about women at work telling me horror stories of labour and all that stuff. It really upset me because I kept thinking how grateful I am to be pregnant, to be carrying a healthy baby (afaik) and each day that the pregnancy continues is a good day.
    There are so many people who would give their right arm to be in the same situation that it doesn't matter how hard it might be.
    News like this Isolt really makes you appreciate the good in your pregnancy be that kicks from your baby or some back pain because your pregnancy has progressed so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Thanks for such a nice way of looking at an awful thing, Penny.

On a lighter note - I am not really aware of my expanding girth. I opened a door the other day and hit myself in the belly with it! :eek: :rolleyes:

Oh I'm FULLY aware of my expanding girth. I had to put the drivers seat back in my car due to my rather rotund bump so I'm sure if anyone was to take a close look at me driving past they'll think I'm sitting in the back seat and am in fact being driven around by some invisible force :D

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

Delighted to read that. She was in the same mums to be group as me for the baby I sadly lost. I kept reading her updates to find out how she was doing as she was very understanding when I suffered the loss. After everything she's been through I am so delighted to hear all is well with the babies. She deserves every ounce of happiness!!!

Awww really? The poor people have really been through it, these little ones must feel like four little blessings :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

quick Q: does M&S in Dundrum carry maternity range lingerie? I see some cute night dresses on their website but I'd like to try them on before buying: Nightie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

went for the 4d scan this morning, after 4 attempts she couldnt get a decent picture of the baby, he was in a ball fast asleep, after drinking coke and walking there was no stirring the poor thing, back again next week.
    they charged me 50 quid in ballincollig, will i still have to pay the full price next time ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

if somebody is taking Floradix for their iron levels, check this offer out on Boots website. Price looks like a mistake to me, 250ml bottle costs up to 15eur in the shops!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Tiny lady

just a quick question to anyone who lives in mallow and had to go to the primary healthcare clinic for the last of there appointments could you tell me where in the place your supposed to go cause no one can tell me anything and my appointment form gives me details of cumh and im freaking cause i have an appointment there at like 9 tomorrow morning

• Advertisement

Did anyone else's bubba's movements slow down as they become bigger? I'm 33 weeks today and baby Merkin is a livewire but in the last few days his movements are less intense/noticeable. Midwife checked me over yesterday and everything is fine thank goodness, I think there's probably just less room in there to practice his dancing and keepie-uppies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Did anyone else's bubba's movements slow down as they become bigger? I'm 33 weeks today and baby Merkin is a livewire but in the last few days his movements are less intense/noticeable. Midwife checked me over yesterday and everything is fine thank goodness, I think there's probably just less room in there to practice his dancing and keepie-uppies!

Yep there were a couple of times in late pregnancy when I had no movement whatsoever all day, scary stuff, especially because we were moving house at the time so I was probably doing more lifting and heavy work than I should have been (in fairness, my lovely boyfriend did the vast, vast majority, but I was still doing a lot.) His placenta was anterior so that was a big part of it. If in doubt, ring your hospital and ask to speak to a midwife. I remember being told to come in to Holles St one day for a scan at around eight months because I could feel nothing whatsoever all day ... of course when they did a scan, he was jumping all over the place, but I still couldn't feel it ... the doctor who checked me said that they'd always rather a woman came in several times a week with "false alarms" than if she sat at home ignoring lack of movement.

I am sure baby Merkin is absolutely fine, and yes it is totally normal for movements to slow down towards the end. For the last three months, my boy was head-down and on the same side of my tummy for every scan, I don't think he changed from that position at all until I actually went into labour. I've heard that it's quite normal for first babies to get into position and stay that way for several weeks in advance, with later babies they're more likely to move around right up until the birth.

But, if in doubt, I'd still always be inclined to get it checked out.

I think that they say that ten movements within a twelve-hour period is what you should expect? If you actually concentrate and count every one, you'll probably be surprised at how quickly the ten movements add up! You probably know yourself what gets him going - for me, it was San Pelligrino lemonade, or Haribos! I used to eat/drink something sugary and lie down and read a book for two hours. I'd only start worrying if there was still no movement in that time (and, even at that, it turned out each time that there was nothing to be worried about!)

Thanks Chat! :)

He is back to being extremely busy today thankfully but on Tuesday there was not a peep out of him and only slightly busier yesterday. I drank sugary drinks, I played him music and chatted away to him as usual and he was just ever so quiet. Mr. Merkin got out the Doppler after work and bubs had a lovely strong heartbeat but my midwife gave out to me yesterday (kindly) and said I should always always phone the maternity wing in the hospital and they'll tell me to come in and hook up to him for 30-60 minutes to trace his heartbeat and movements.

It was actually very disconcerting at the time but I had totally overdone it in the preceding days (power walks, early morning baking etc!) and I think the little guy probably sensed that too. Like you, I was told to always contact the maternity unit but then I'm loath to wasting time with false alarms. Still, if it were to happen again for a prolonged period I think I will heed her advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

I contacted the midwives on the phone loads at the start say I drove them mad:) Didn't calm down and start trusting my own head a bit more until about 6 months!

I've been very lucky that the little man is a very, very active baby but there has still been a day or two where I've worried! Midwife in antenatal class a few weeks back said it's so important to not assume things will be ok as it so often makes the difference between a baby living or not, scary thought but glad your little one let you know they were ok!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I got into trouble too, had very little/no movement from Sunday morning and was in the hospital Monday anyway and decided to mention it to the midwives there rather than having to present to the emergency room. Well I was ushered upstairs to the day assessment unit, got given out to by the midwife there too.

Always always go in if you think your movement has changed or has stopped altogether. The midwives and docs won't think you are silly and it's always better than worrying over it.

January wrote: »
    I got into trouble too, had very little/no movement from Sunday morning and was in the hospital Monday anyway and decided to mention it to the midwives there rather than having to present to the emergency room. Well I was ushered upstairs to the day assessment unit, got given out to by the midwife there too.

Always always go in if you think your movement has changed or has stopped altogether. The midwives and docs won't think you are silly and it's always better than worrying over it.

The doctor I had was, weirdly, a good friend I'd had from home as a teenager, but we'd grown out of touch.

She was really honest with me. She said they absolutely love when mothers come into them with reduced movement. Great! All is fine. Mother, baby and doctor are happy.

When reduced movement happens and it's not something "easily" explained like an anterior placenta ... very often the baby needs help.

You might very well feel silly about unnecessary visits to the doctor but, come on, youd certainly feel worse about necessary visits that you didn't take?!

I've learnt my lesson! I just assumed the little chap was having a duvet day and the midwife said never ASSUME anything! :o Thank goodness he's back to being very busy, I actually think I'll miss all that movement when he comes!

I've learnt my lesson! I just assumed the little chap was having a duvet day and the midwife said never ASSUME anything! :o Thank goodness he's back to being very busy, I actually think I'll miss all that movement when he comes!

Brilliant to hear. Baby is fine! Midwife was right - don't assume anything. Baby is perfectly fine inside of you, but its finite and that's ok too. Little booboo! He's very loved whether inside or out. And will be very well taken of either way.

Aww thanks Chat, both hubster and I are about to burst with excitement at the prospect of meeting him and cuddling him! Can't wait to hold and snuggle the little fellow!:)

• Advertisement

Hey girls, I just wanted to highlight an article published by The Journal this morning which contains the startling statistic that:

One in eight women suffers domestic abuse during pregnancy

http://www.thejournal.ie/one-in-eight-pregnant-women-suffers-domestic-abuse-1504029-Jun2014/

We've got a lovely little community of pregnant women and Mummies here on this part of the site, but I am assuming that some women do not have such a happy experience of pregnancy and it's important to highlight that there IS help out there.

For anyone who may find themselves in this very unhappy and worrying position, please be aware that there are resources out there to help you, the links are below (Mods please move if this is more suitable elsewhere):

www.womensaid.ie
    www.safeireland.ie

Advertisement