Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Merkin wrote: »
    The spinal aenesthetic takes five minutes to take effect as opposed to between thirty and forty five for an epidural. I should imagine in a state of high emergency, an instantaneous 'knocking out' with a GA is required! Was the recovery period long for you afterwards and how soon after the birth did you get to meet the little one?

I was in recovery for about 3/4 hours, so I didn't meet him till I came down to the ward. He was rushed straight off again 2 mins later as he had a bit of a collapse (he was floppy, prob because of the GA) and was kept in NICU overnight.
    The first night was awful physically - I was doped off my skull on morphine; when Hugo was rushed off I told the nurse to stop the drip as I wanted a clearer head. The next day I was sore but it wasn't the worst - I was able to shower alone with care. Turning over in bed was near impossible, as was sitting up from a lying down position. Das Kitty recommended packing a skipping rope to tie to the bed to help with turning, excellent idea!!
    The soreness was manageable - I took nothing stronger than paracetamol after day 1. By a week later I just had slight stinging where the stitches were dissolving. My scar remained tender for a while, but creative dressing helped! Avoiding tight clothes and wearing massive granny pants while in hospital definitely helped.
    I healed pretty well, I was very lucky that my OH had 8 weeks off after the birth so he did all the lifting, vacuuming and driving. If he hadn't been around I imagine it would have been much tougher.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

The skipping rope idea is brilliant!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

The skipping rope idea is brilliant!

I wish I had one. My monkey bar was nicked by a staffer who needed it for someone. Presumably someone who was worse off. Though whoever was worse off than a woman 48hrs postpartum with major abdominal surgery who has to hop in and out of bed umpteen times because a baby is wailing, I pity them. :confused:

Neyite wrote: »
    I wish I had one. My monkey bar was nicked by a staffer who needed it for someone. Presumably someone who was worse off. Though whoever was worse off than a woman 48hrs postpartum with major abdominal surgery who has to hop in and out of bed umpteen times because a baby is wailing, I pity them. :confused:

:( You poor girl!

FYI going into hospital Sun evening to be induced, delighted! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Imagine this time next week you'll have your little baby boy!!:)
    Its fabulous isn't it?

• Advertisement

Imagine this time next week you'll have your little baby boy!!:)
    Its fabulous isn't it?

So so fabulous Penny, I can't wait to meet him!:)

Even though I am FOREVER away from my due date of Oct 7th I'm getting so very excited and impatient to meet my little one, I find that I am growing increasingly envious of all of you who are so close!

As you know I might (depending on the location of the placenta) requrire a planned C-Section to deliver my baby and while its not #1 on my list of preferred options I've been trying to focus on the positives of it and one of them is knowing that on Day X I'll get to see her rather than having to wait and watch and see and hope. I don't know how you're all managing it!

For entertainment purposes last night I told my husband (who grew up on a farm and thinks he has seen it all as a result:rolleyes::D) to google images for a mucus plug and a show. Hee hee, his reaction was hillarious.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

oooh!!! excited!! Best of luck and hope he arrives safely. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Best of luck Merkin! (Try to) Keep us updated :p Can't wait to hear of news of baby Merkin!

Thanks so much girls, I'm just aching to hold him and shower him with kisses tbh! Now I just need to keep my excitement in check and chill over the next few days! :) xx

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

Thanks so much girls, I'm just aching to hold him and shower him with kisses tbh! Now I just need to keep my excitement in check and chill over the next few days! :) xx

Not going to lie, I'm immensely jealous, but SO excited for you!! :D

Cheers Jerrica, I'm so happy not to have to go through the torture of going overdue, I've found the last couple of weeks hard!

Quick question for people. Do you think it's ok to bring in one of my own comfy pillows into hospital with me?

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

so happy for you Merkin that you are nearly there! you are too cute about it! he will be much loved.

I'm quite jealous, the next 9 or 10 weeks seem sooo long to me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Delighted for you Merkin! The countdown is on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Bring a pillow :) The hospital ones are v. hard (to be fair I love that... I wanted to take the hospital bed home with me lol).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Best of luck merkin. Will be looking out for you in the newborn thread.
    Re the pillow I don't think id bother straight away. Maybe leave it in the car. my lil man was so spewy the first few days nothing was safe.

Thank you for all your lovely well wishes girls! I love this forum, everyone has been so kind and supportive. I don't imagine things will happen too quickly so I'll make sure to check in with regular 'cervix watch' updates :P
    January wrote: »
    Bring a pillow :) The hospital ones are v. hard (to be fair I love that... I wanted to take the hospital bed home with me lol).

Weirdly enough January I found the hospital bed last week REALLY comfy! I was able to angle it in such a way that it was really supportive of my mahooosuve bump so I actually ended up having some quality snoozes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

When I had no 1. I was blessed with an electric bed. Was able to get it perfect for sleeping then incline it to get up . even raised the whole thing up so I could be in line with the baby cot thing so I just popped her out to feed.

With no 2 I had I bed that must of been about 20 yrs old. It was as bumpy and lumpy and raised up at the feet. thankfully I was only 24hrs in it if even.

The unit I'm in just has electric beds thank God and they are lovely aren't they? Would be sooooo handy to have one at home for those last few extremely uncomfortable weeks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

Oh merkin bring your own pillow I did both times and if I'm ever in hospital again I will be bringing pillows with me :-D. I like to feel some what comfortable

I'm the same Betsie! I don't like synthetic pillows and if the induction process could take a couple of days I want to be nice and comfy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

I'm the same Betsie! I don't like synthetic pillows and if the induction process could take a couple of days I want to be nice and comfy!

Delighted you have a day set...only advice id maybe offer is a handheld fan for labour if the weather is still this hot? The day I was induced it was very warm and labour does work up a sweat so it can be a lovely aid!!

Thanks for the advice Smokey, I have one already in my hospital bag! Although my midwife said that they have a fan in each of delivery suites because half the midwives are menopausal anyway!:D Just need to pack a couple of little flannels as well, everyone says a cold compress is very soothing on the forehead. They've also recommended glucose sweets for sucking.

There was a fan in my delivery suite I had it on all the time and I found it lovely hubby on the other hand was freezing

Horrible horrible dream last night-- dreamt that I was getting changed to go swimming and saw that I had a massive bleed and it was the worst news and it was all over :-(
    Thankfully I woke up at 06:30 and went down stairs to have a really cold drink of water and it woke the baby up and she moved away as per usual. My husband was a wake too and when I told him about the horrible dream hew as really lovely.
    Don't like dreams like that! They should be banned.

Oh penny what an awful dream to have x well done baby for moving when mammy needed it xx

Oh penny what an awful dream to have x well done baby for moving when mammy needed it xx

Yes was very happy when the baby cooperated by doing a few somersaults when I needed it! I'm so pleased with about it I'm even willing to over look the fact that the baby has pushed my belly button out for extra room now.

It's like babies know mammy could do with a good kick now xx god I miss that feeling x

• Advertisement

It's like babies know mammy could do with a good kick now xx god I miss that feeling x

Even before today and the much needed reassuring kicks, I've often thought about how much I'll miss feeling the baby move when it's born. I love the feeling of the tumbles and little waves inside me- always feels like its just you and the baby and I've loved it.
    I know it's great when they're born too and you get proper cuddles and kisses ....... But you have to share them ;-)

Advertisement