Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Womans body found in Galway

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I have an aunt in Renmore and know the area well, used to walk through that area years ago.
    My speculation is that somebody she knew maybe local must of brought her there to do the deed or else its a random attack, hope they hang the ba$tard if they catch him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Asbad wrote:
    Aye thats it
    and yes the Blackpath is behind the huntsman alright

Blackpath isn't actually behind the Huntsman.

Blackpath is what links the end of lakeshore drive to the path behind the huntsman.

the path behind the huntsman is relatively new in comparison to Blackpath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Mairt wrote:

Seriously, a dedicated section of the Guards whose soul job is to investigate murder and nothing else. Instead of the situation we have now where the local dick investigate a murder when already their files are full of drug busts, robberies from Spar shops, muggings etc.

Couldn't agree more....a friend of the family was a murder squad detective in the 70's, heard some stories about them.
    Unfortunately it'll never happen; their operational and interview tactics wouldn't last 2 minutes in modern PC Ireland; you'd have Amnesty International and the rest of the bleeding heart organisations calling foul the first time someone was interviewed by them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

gurramok wrote:
    hope they hang the ba$tard if they catch him.
    I'd be delighted to kick the stool...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

I was in Galway for the races in August and stayed with a friend in Renmore. Took that walk each night back to the house. Must say I thought it was one of the dodgiest walks ever but my friend said he'd walked that way home for yrs and he'd never had any bother. Maybe someone local gave this girl the same kind of advice.

Shocking thing to happen

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

Awful sad story... Its one thing some scummer getting killed but an innocent girl only over for a couple of weeks is tragic..

Welcome to ****in Ireland 2007!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

One of the saddest things I've read in a long time. Hopefully they catch the bastard.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 400 ✭✭ruskin

I heard there that the girls parents are coming to Ireland soon to identify the body. What a nightmare for all concerned. To think that this young girl came here with hopes to learn for a only a few weeks and some piece of filth did this is disgusting. There is no one who justify protecting that animal. On another point, when I drive home after a night out in Cork at the weekends (I dont drink), I often think that it is really surprising and worrying to see so many girls walking home alone on relatively quiet streches of dimly lit roads. Take care out there people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I don't know why but this murder has shocked me the way other murders havent...i don't know if its the fact that she was so young or the fact that she was foreign or the fact that she wasnt even here a week.

RIP :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

I don't know why but this murder has shocked me the way other murders havent...i don't know if its the fact that she was so young or the fact that she was foreign or the fact that she wasnt even here a week.

Ya there is something that really makes this a shocking event.. I cant put my finger on it either...

Like when i heard about the 2 guys who were shot in Dublin i didn't even bat an eyelid...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

Jesus that is fecking horrible...god I hope that ****er has karma bite him in the ass. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Anyway, i have much faith in the Garda catching these type of murderers, they do have a very good record in contrast to gangland murder types.

So fingers crossed he'll be picked up soon enough along with that cowardly terrorist in Athlone attacking women at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

absolutly shocked at this killing, that this young girl, only here a few days, what kind of message does send out to people visting this country, ok, so it could have happened to anyone, but its probably whats going though this girls family head, why our daughter, why our family, why did we let her go, etc

it was the first thing i read when i picked up the herald this afternoon after coming back from holiday, and i was sickened, ok, so its becoming a more regular ocurance but its still not something that you expect to hear, i just hope for her familys sake and other young females that those responsible are caught

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

irish-stew wrote:
    absolutly shocked at this killing, that this young girl, only here a few days, what kind of message does send out to people visting this country,

i thought people might think me a bit heartless for saying it but yeah, that's pretty much one of the first things that popped into my head.

apparently she was part of a group of about 40 and all of them will be leaving the country within the next few days. she was only 17 as well it said.

It's shocked so many Galway locals as a lot of people (and I mean a lot!) take that route. I've even taken it myself once or twice, as it offers the quickest route from GMIT out to town.

You can see where they found the body from my workplace. It's very eerie just knowing it happened over there when you're standing in work. And a load of customers knew it too, as there'd be a few people at the windows staring out.
    absolutly shocked at this killing, that this young girl, only here a few days, what kind of message does send out to people visting this country

And what message does it send out to people visiting Galway?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

that ireland, and galway are just like anywhere else in the world?

Mordeth wrote:
    that ireland, and galway are just like anywhere else in the world?

True, in some regards, but Galway has always had this image of being a "safe city".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

really? when i was livig in corrib village, the locals told me they called the wooded route frmo the estate to Nuig 'rape lane'

Mordeth wrote:
    really? when i was livig in corrib village, the locals told me they called the wooded route frmo the estate to Nuig 'rape lane'

Really? Never heard that before. But then again I'm rarely out that side of Galway

Anyways, to make sure there's no more going off topic etc. (the specific topic of the girl)

It's still a very sad event

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

True, in some regards, but Galway has always had this image of being a "safe city".
    Only inside of Ireland. People from other countries don't know Galway at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

And what message does it send out to people visiting Galway?

i never mentioned galway in my orginal thread, i dont particulaly know galway that well, have been in it a few times, and have always injoyed the times that i have had there, i would like to think that this does not leave a slur or a bad feeling about galway, similar incidents have also happened in sligo and letterkeny that i know off, the point i was trying to make was, that although not intentional, it could have to potential to put people off visiting (not galway in particular), this girls family, thought that they were giving her the opertunity to see some where differnt, for people abroad, who know nothing about a place, and hear and incident like this, of course it could have the potential to make them wary, i know that similar tragic incedents have happened in other irish towns and citites and around the world, but people continue to visit to visit, and still will, it just highlights the issue that know where is 100% safe, and you still need to be on your guard

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭Ardent

I feel so sorry for the parents right now. So tragic, it gets worse the more you think about it. Hope they catch the sick f*ck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Well one of the main reasons it has shocked many locals in Galway (me included) is the fact that there are very few murders in Galway. In the last 2-3 years the only ones that spring to mind are Mr Freezer (gangland originally from Dublin) and a young med student who's ex-boyfriend is up in court for it. YOu have to go back 5-10 years to find another random killing in the Galway area. There was one in Ballygar (slightly outside Galway city) and then the taxi driver lady.

This alone has shocked Galway people. The fact that she was a student (in one of the most student friendly and student dependent towns in Ireland), a foreign girl only here for a few weeks and so young all just add to the tragedy.

I seriously hope they catch the guy. I've a younger sister who goes out quite a lot and sometimes walks home. Not near this route and in a well lit area but now I'm worried about her for the first time since she's been in Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

marco_polo wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/national-news/gardai-prepare-file-for-dpp-on-sex-assault-in-galway-1087716.html

Sound like it was in the exact same area.:eek:. I also seem to remember a reconstruction of a case on crimeline a few years ago as well where a student was attacked just up the road close to the Huntsman. I never heard if anyone ever got convicted for this.

That was when I was in first year and lived about a five min walk from the huntsman so I remember this very well. A young girl (about 20) was walking the short cut that goes along by the water edge, just at the side of the huntsman. She was grabbed, dregged into long grass and the man put a screwdriver in her mouth and told her if she screamed, he would stab her with it. He was caught and the rumour that went about in 2nd year in GMIT anyway was that he escaped from Limerick prison but was recaptured in Galway shortly after. That was Sept/ Oct 2004.
    At least thats how I remember it, watched the reconstruction on crimeline and everything.
    NOBODY should walk on their own. When are girls going to realise this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Christen

I guess the citizens of Galway can rest easy now that the Garda have arrested the man they believe responsible for Manuela's murder.

If this is in fact the one responsible, then I take my hat off to the many investigators who worked diligently in solving this poor young woman's murder.

Excellent work Garda:)!

Christen Allen Iman
    Chico, California

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

GREAT NEWS : Man charged with Riedo murder. The guards did a great job on this one. That poor girl is getting buried today.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/1019/riedom.html

Now if they could find that scumbag who attacked 3 women in Athlone. I was wrong in thinking these cases could be connected. The guards are looking for a eastern european in connection to the 3 attacks in Athlone.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

Well poor Manuela tonight can rest in peace. Big well done to the Gardai in catching her alleged murderer so quickly. RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Christen

DonJose,

Do not feel that you were alone in believing that the Athlone serial rapist was possibly connected to the recent sexual assault and murder of Manuela Riedo.

I, as well, was thinking this could be the case when considering that the Bonavalley/Athlone assaults had ceased (for the moment) and the recent sexual assaults began within the last several weeks. And I have over two decades of study behind my thinking.:rolleyes: I was off in a few aspects as well.

The areas both offenders in each case chose were quite similar as well as the degree of physical assault on the victims. Manuela had been badly beaten.

It 's my understanding that a knife was utilized by the offender in some of the Athlone cases. A knife was utilized as a means to facilitate a sexual assault of a young woman near the GAA grounds in I believe mid-August of 2007. Gerard Barry has been implicated in this assault as well as a knife was utilized in the Mani's case and has been recovered by the Gardai. So as you can see, the crimes appeared to have been perpetrated by the same individual, same MO.

In the Sexual assault on the grounds of the NUI, outside the library, the offender's description was of a man having black hair, dark eybrows and a very pale complexion. Not disimilar to the Athlone Suspect.

See Ya-

Christen

I wish I could have been at the court-house earlier to shout and throw a brick at this guy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Christen wrote: »

It 's my understanding that a knife was utilized by the offender in some of the Athlone cases. A knife was utilized as a means to facilitate a sexual assault of a young woman near the GAA grounds in I believe mid-August of 2007. Gerard Barry has been implicated in this assault as well as a knife was utilized in the Mani's case and has been recovered by the Gardai. So as you can see, the crimes appeared to have been perpetrated by the same individual, same MO.

If its true its another failure of the cops or courts to keep hm off the street pre trial.

And on a side note, the Sindo had a story that Gardai were confidently chasing an E European suspcect. I dunno, Barry? Barashevski and Id see the link.

Id believe a News of the World front page with a picture of Jordan holing a newspaper procaliming "The Pope is Pregnant" sooner than id believe the Sunday Indo. Its worth less than that sawpapery roll your school had.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement