Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Womans body found in Galway

Options
  • 10-10-2007 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭

I was watching the news tonight about the womans body found in Galway.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/1009/galway.html

What are the chances that this scumbag is the same scumbag responsible for the 3 attacks in Athlone, the distance is roughly 50-60 miles. The Guards are swarming Athlone at the moment so most likely this scumbag has moved on. Are we looking at a serial killer/rapist here.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/1004/athlone.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

What came to my mind was the woman that was murdered in Ennis a year or two ago. She was heading home from a Chrimbo party and somewhere along the way was napped by someone. She was left strangled on a patch of wasteland. As far as I know there was nobody caught for it. Maybe a local could say whether there was ever anybody caught.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

There was a sexual assault on a woman in the same area less than 2 weeks ago. Was in the local papers. Its a dodgy enough walk at night I believe...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The body was discovered in undergrowth between Lakeshore Drive and Ceannt Railway Station at around 9.30am this morning by a man out walking a dog.
    I'm not sure where Lakeshore Drive is, can anyone give a description?

Is this along the railway path that goes to Renmore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

walking the railway line these days is suicide these days. it was dodgy enough back in the 70s... i wonder was she actually walking it or was she just taken there? if she was whoever told her about it was an utter eidjit.

it's horrible to hear.

Edit:
    micmclo wrote:

think so. Lakeshore drive is where the barracks is isn't it? have a look at Yahoo maps here. just zoom in a bit

walking the railway line these days is suicide these days. it was dodgy enough back in the 70s... i wonder was she actually walking it or was she just taken there? if she was whoever told her about it was an utter eidjit.

it's horrible to hear.

Edit:

think so. Lakeshore drive is where the barracks is isn't it? have a look at Yahoo maps here. just zoom in a bit

Bit OTT. What are you basing that on?

I used to live in Remore and worked as night porter in a city-centre hotel in 2004.
    Walked the railway line every night and the only hassle you’d ever get was kids knacker drinking on the Radisson helipad and asking for cigarettes.

So I’m basing this post from experience of walking it 5-6 nights a week on my own for six months and never any serious hassle. Only scary part was there is no lighting so you walk along in the pitch black.

All the same, I agree that a girl should not walk down there alone.

Edit: Thanks for the directions

• Advertisement

micmclo wrote:
    Bit OTT.

well, it's of course OTT, but then this is AH :rolleyes:

it's always had more than it's fair share of sexual assaults though hasn't it? probably should have added for young unaccompanied women. meh, a lot of the info i have on it is second hand anyway seeing as i'm on the other side. none of my mates in Renmore would ever walk it on their own though i'm pretty sure on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

I'd never walk that path outside of daylight hours, it's uber dodgy vibe is kinda scary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

It was an 18 year old Swiss student, only over here a few weeks, very sad

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Ninja_scrotum

Don't know what a student is doing over in that area. I doubt she was walking to her house because foreign students usually get accom in the villages.

Poor parents sending the girl off to lovely green Ireland, 3 weeks later there's a phonecall from the gardai. It's tragic.

I hope they find the fcuker. If they do he'll probably get only 8 years for manslaughter or something stupid like that. I think his legs should be cut off and fed to his arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Isn't there a Galway forum for these region specific posts? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

MooseJam wrote:
    It was an 18 year old Swiss student, only over here a few weeks, very sad
    The news reported she arrived on Saturday, for a 2 week English course. My heart goes out to her parents who thought they were sending her to a safe country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Every post in after hours could fit into a specific forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

micmclo wrote:
    Bit OTT. What are you basing that on?

I used to live in Remore and worked as night porter in a city-centre hotel in 2004.
    Walked the railway line every night and the only hassle you’d ever get was kids knacker drinking on the Radisson helipad and asking for cigarettes.

So I’m basing this post from experience of walking it 5-6 nights a week on my own for six months and never any serious hassle. Only scary part was there is no lighting so you walk along in the pitch black.

All the same, I agree that a girl should not walk down there alone.

Edit: Thanks for the directions

I'm not saying your wrong. But I'll just add this.

I've been going to Renmore Bks for over twenty year's now and always walked the line into town and back. But in the last few year's the advice from the lads on the gate (leaving the Bks) is to get a taxi there and back and avoid walking the line totally.

Sorry I know thats not adding to the discussion.

Maybe we need to bring back 'the murder squad' !!.

Seriously, a dedicated section of the Guards whose soul job is to investigate murder and nothing else. Instead of the situation we have now where the local dick investigate a murder when already their files are full of drug busts, robberies from Spar shops, muggings etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Ninja_scrotum

Shut your mouth nit-picker, do you have anything else to do?

A womans body was found in galway. Do you think the news should be kept in galway or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

DonJose wrote:
    My heart goes out to her parents who thought they were sending her to a safe country.

Ireland (and Galway for that matter) are relatively safe. I've walked home after all but 5 or 6 nights out in galway over the last 2 years and have never had trouble apart from someone scabbing fags, The route where she was found is known to be dodgy, but it knocks up to 2km off a walk from the city centre to renmore. She prob hadnt been told of the dangers of that path. there's no lighting etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

JIZZLORD wrote:
    Ireland (and Galway for that matter) are relatively safe. I've walked home after all but 5 or 6 nights out in galway over the last 2 years and have never had trouble apart from someone scabbing fags, The route where she was found is known to be dodgy, but it knocks about 2km off a walk from the city centre to renmore. She prob hadnt been told of the dangers of that path. there's no lighting etc.

Not much point in bumming a fag if ya can't get a light:p

Don't know what a student is doing over in that area. I doubt she was walking to her house because foreign students usually get accom in the villages.

she was a private student going to one of the language schools. Mill Street i believe? she'd have nought to do with the Uni and GMIT to get into one of their villages. anyways she was actually living in Renmore.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Kess73 wrote:
    What came to my mind was the woman that was murdered in Ennis a year or two ago. She was heading home from a Chrimbo party and somewhere along the way was napped by someone. She was left strangled on a patch of wasteland. As far as I know there was nobody caught for it. Maybe a local could say whether there was ever anybody caught.

Perhaps you are thinking of the woman who died coming home from a Christmas party in Ennis last year or the year before, but that was from exposure as she got lost and fell asleep on her way home. Either that or it was a different town? The only recent case involving a female murder in Ennis was about 5 years ago, but her boyfriend was caught and convicted.

**Edit** I remember now it there was a murder in Kilrush about two years ago, where a woman was strangled in the yard of the local church. An ex-boyfriend was convicted of this crime.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/0601/walsha.html?rss

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Shut your mouth nit-picker, do you have anything else to do?

A womans body was found in galway. Do you think the news should be kept in galway or something?
    How about you STFU or I'll ban you.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

There was a sexual assault on a woman in the same area less than 2 weeks ago. Was in the local papers. Its a dodgy enough walk at night I believe...

http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/national-news/gardai-prepare-file-for-dpp-on-sex-assault-in-galway-1087716.html

Sound like it was in the exact same area.:eek:. I also seem to remember a reconstruction of a case on crimeline a few years ago as well where a student was attacked just up the road close to the Huntsman. I never heard if anyone ever got convicted for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

There was also an attack on a woman on the river walk besides Jurys some months ago.

marco_polo wrote:
    I also seem to remember a reconstruction of a case on crimeline a few years ago as well where a student was attacked just up the road close to the Huntsman. I never heard if anyone ever got convicted for this.

May or June 2004 afaik
    Nope, noone was ever caught for that crime

And there was one down by the shortcut by the playground in Lough Atalia. Why they don't have proper lighting and cameras in these areas is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

theres proper lighting on the footpath on the road...its the shortcut thats badly lit.
    they cant put light up on every little path or shortcut.
    that area is known over the last few years for attacks/attempted attacks.
    i realise the girl was new to the area and all but i still see others takin that route late at night....WTF????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

micmclo wrote:

Yeah its the railway line
    http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/2431/loughus2.jpg
    in the middle of the pic you can see 4 oil tanks and to the lower left you can see the tent where the body was found (Apologies for pic quality)

I used to walk down the line after school until some paedo followed me one day and started chatting to me. I have never walked it since and I will give out to friends who even think of walking it. Across from that is the 'Black path' which I always walk myself and where that student was attacked 3 years ago. No lights but its def safer then walking the line
    micmclo wrote:
    Nope, noone was ever caught for that crime
    Actually that scumbag was fortuantly caught

Btw you had some balls walking it every night :D

prendy wrote:
    they cant put light up on every little path or shortcut.
    that area is known over the last few years for attacks/attempted attacks.

They don't have to put lighting in every shortcut. Just the problem areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=53.273721&lon=-9.035697&z=16&l=0&m=a&v=2
    Somwhere around there is it ??
    I'm guessing from the pic somewhere between the area marked "The line" and Lough Atalia or further up in front of the DoD building ?

Where's the "blackpath", behind the Huntsman ??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

biko wrote:
    There was also an attack on a woman on the river walk besides Jurys some months ago.

Jaysus, that spot is about as central as you can get :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

spideog7 wrote:
    http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=53.273721&lon=-9.035697&z=16&l=0&m=a&v=2
    Somwhere around there is it ??
    I'm guessing from the pic somewhere between the area marked "The line" and Lough Atalia or further up in front of the DoD building ?

Where's the "blackpath", behind the Huntsman ??

Aye thats it
    and yes the Blackpath is behind the huntsman alright

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

They don't have to put lighting in every shortcut. Just the problem areas.

Won't really make a difference,culprits will just move somewhere else, while people will continue to take dodgy shortcuts despite warnings and a bit of common sense.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement