Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

killinaskully - funny- yes or no

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,354 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

4 words to describe killinaskully:

Pure and utter shìte.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭tampopo

I voteed no. But after reading last Sunday's Sunday Times profile, I have a new admiration of him. He can certainly work. Writing, singing, acting, performing. Hell yeah, he's doing a good job. Fair play to him.

I had something to say about him dressing up in the four different characters but can't remember.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Never seen it but I voted no because anything with Pat Shortt in it by definition cannot be funny. D'Unbelievables was the most pathetic attempt at humour I have ever endured, so how in God's name was he let back on our screens?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Múinteoir

basquille wrote:
    It's painful..

.. i loved D'Unbelievables but Pat Shortt is just desperate at this stage!

Agreed. D'unbelievables were class. Killinaskully is televisual Abu Ghraib style torture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭hot fuss

It wouldn't really be my cup of tea but I saw the Halloween episode last year and it was hilarious. It's usually not my type if humour, but a lot of people seem to love it - over 600,000 of them nearly every Sunday!!

Humour is very subjective, so I suppose it suits some people and doesn't suit others.

Pat Shortt is very talented though. I don't think anyone can argue with that. He's also a very astute businessman. If anyone says he isn't talented, you should go and see him in Garage - absolutely brilliant performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I understand why people think it is funny, I don't think it is that funny at all.

It's pretty much an Irish Version of Last of the Summer Wine (Ok alot better then LOTFSW).

It's Sunday night family viewing, no more no less. For what it is it works.

I think the FG and FF politicians are very well characterised.

I would guess that most Dublin people find it too Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

failuz1.jpg

Elmo wrote: »
    It's pretty much an Irish Version of Last of the Summer Wine (Ok alot better then LOTFSW).

It's Sunday night family viewing, no more no less. For what it is it works.

that's very true. It's not aimed at us.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

the most sympathetic review ive ever read of the awfull kilinaskully was by the very humorous declan lynch in the sindo
    he said of the show , a funny man with a bad script is still better than an unfunny man with a good script , pat short is a funny man

so went the article

the trouble is , pat short writes the script for this garbage , i have all 3 d,unbeleviable videos and i think there classics , they are about rural bufoons but there very astute in there observations , any person who is from the country will be familiar with the kind of chat that used to go on between old men who stand at the back of the chapel at mass , the d, unbeleviables captured simple things like this brilliantly and hilariously

killinaskully however has absolutly no depth to it whatsoever , there is no intelligence or deeper meaning to the show
    its infanitle in the extreme, it makes benny hill seem deep

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

They played an episode on an Aer Lingus flight that I was on back from the states. Judging by the rubbish production values I'm guessing it was the pilot episode, it was about a german tourist I think. I felt so ridiculously shocked that this was what we were giving our tourists as a first impression.

What a crock of absolute ****. To be honest (/controversial), the type of person who would find killinaskully funny probably doesnt know how to turn on a computer so unfortunately they won't be represented in the poll.

On the other hand, 20% have voted yes to the poll, but none of the replies really have anyone standing up for the programme. Too ashamed perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

The cast is terrible. Pat Short is the only one in it that can act and the script is muck so he's not funny either.
    I think it is mostly a rural audience (I'm from the sticks before anyone has a go), and it's not that they find it particularly funny, but tbh, try finding any representation of rural Ireland on T.V. People watch it for the same reasons they watched Glenroe. Not because it was very good, but people like seeing some sort of depiction of rural life on screen. That's why Ballykissangel, All Creatures Great and Small and in years gone by Emerdale Farm were all popular with Irish viewers. Coronation Street, Eastenders, Fair City etc. are still watched, but doesn't resonate in the same way as green fields and the whiff of cowsh1te. It's only natural that you have some affection for something you can connect with.
    Personally, I find it painful to watch. Cringeworthy, tedious and potentially xenophobic b@ll@cks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Oh god I hate that show with every scrap of my being. I also can't abide Pat Shortt - anyone who laughs at their own jokes (especially a professional comedian) is one of the most irritating people there are. A one-trick pony if ever there was one.
    But to be fair: people being embarrassed by these muck-savage TV characters - thought that was the point of show? To take the piss out of muck-savages, no?
    The majority of people who like it appear to be in the latter stages of middle-age (as in, 55+).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,580 ✭✭✭deisemum

I think it's the older generation and children that watch it. Pat Shortt once said in an interview that a lot of children watch it.

I thought the first series was a laugh especially as I can think of people who are just like the characters. Last Sunday's episode was dreadful.

Yeah, the humour is extremely infantile all right, so I can understand how it would appeal to kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

Muck savage? Is that still part of the common lexicon? Good to know :rolleyes:

Well if you're from the country, it's not applicable to all people from the country - just a certain type.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

dRNk SAnTA wrote: »
    What a crock of absolute ****. To be honest (/controversial), the type of person who would find killinaskully funny probably doesnt know how to turn on a computer so unfortunately they won't be represented in the poll.

On the other hand, 20% have voted yes to the poll, but none of the replies really have anyone standing up for the programme. Too ashamed perhaps?

If I didn't know how to turn on a computer, would I be a member of the forum?

And no, somebody else did NOT turn it on for me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Rosita

Killinaskully is poor and that's a pity as it could be reasonably good as it has a good number of stock characters at this stage who should be capable of being developed somewhat by now. Stupidity like giving the priest a name 'Philip Eno' for the sake of one gag in one episode about a philipino priest sums it up though and suggests to me that they were not exactly expecting a long-term run on this one.

Likewise the guard being 'dick o'toole' (har har) and the B/B being 'Mount Bernadette' implies that the writer thinks that he is dealing with serious cretins for viewers. This is a society where the the Sunday Independent has a banner about Katy French's vibrator on the front page - the days when a public utterance of the word 'dick' raised a laugh are long gone. I'd have thought that something now has to be genuinely and intrinsically funny rather than raising a laugh because you're not expected to say it. But it seems not.

People ask why does it get ratings? Well as the last years of Glenroe proved if you have the 8.30 slot on a Sunday night during the winter on RTE you have a serious chance of getting big ratings as people will generally be at home and TV generally is just 'you're a star' type muck on Sunday evening anyway.

Shortt has one joke - 'look at me I can talk like this' and it is astonishing that it has carried him so far. In fairness the exact same thing can be said of Paul Howard (who must privately wonder at it all) with the Ross O'Carroll Kelly character. I'd expect people would have had a brief laugh at both characters and then moved on but the longevity of both is scarey. Then again in a society where 'drink feck girls' is still side-splitting for some people maybe I over-estimate the general population.

Rosita wrote: »
    Shortt has one joke - 'look at me I can talk like this'
    Absolutely spot-on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Brian Capture

Killinascully is one of the most ignorant and unsophisticated shows I have ever seen.

Even the theme tune reeks of gauche backwardness and unhipness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

Gauce backwardness and unhipness?

There's a career as an indie music journalist going if you want it. ;)

• Advertisement

My Boyfriend loves this drivel, he can't turn on a computer.
    I've heard this is the the last season ever! Yehay!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 400 ✭✭ruskin

Killnascully is complete and utter tripe. It is the same as all RTE Sunday viewing, something family friendly for simple minded people. Also the guy who plays timmy is a great actor and comedian (remember fr damo?) and I for the life of me cant understand why on earth he lowers himself to taking part in this shyte. He must only say about 3 words an episode. Then again I suppose, Shortt will never allow anyone other than himself to steal the limelight for a while - he will still peddle his collection of crap characters. Wouldnt it make more sense to concentrate on one character, develop them and give them some depth?

ruskin wrote: »
    Also the guy who plays timmy is a great actor and comedian (remember fr damo?) and I for the life of me cant understand why on earth he lowers himself to taking part in this shyte.
    Yeah, Joe Rooney. He IS a great comedian - was surprised to learn he had a part in Killinaskully.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

The first 2 seasons of it were a goood laugh in my opinion .
    This season so far it has been absoulte s*hite of the highest order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

Only saw a few bits of episodes... Struck me as a poor man's Father Ted... They took the piss out of rural things well..., (Funland, Telly Eireann, etc.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭corkproducers

It has its moments at best.

Pa the Knacker should have his own show in all fairness!

A comedy show about a travelling community.

It may seem politically incorrect, but i bet ye'd be breaking yer balls laughing at it! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

It reminds me of the show-within-a-show 'When the Whistle Blows' form extras.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGzCjxvoJNI

also, Are you avin' a laugh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Ignorant, bog stanard tv.

Is it just me, but everyone who lives with me in rural Ireland seems to think it is the television Citizen Kane

Half or rural Ireland regards Pat Shortt stand up DVDs in the same light as the rest of us hold Richard Pryors late 70s/early 80s material, or Eddie Murphy stand up in the 80s.

Father Ted was a brilliant take on rural Ireland. D`Unbelieveables never were tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 MOD(galway)

seriously killnaskully is quality + father ted. theres nothing serious, just a good laugh no need for a good story line

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Rosita wrote: »
    Likewise the guard being 'dick o'toole' (har har) and the B/B being 'Mount Bernadette' implies that the writer thinks that he is dealing with serious cretins for viewers. This is a society where the the Sunday Independent has a banner about Katy French's vibrator on the front page - the days when a public utterance of the word 'dick' raised a laugh are long gone.

In fairness the same yokels who watch Kilnaskully buy rags like the Sindo.

And let that post be a warning never to leave anything around the house which your relatives may have to find in the event of your untimely demise......:eek:

Advertisement