Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ianmc38 in the well

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

get out of Ian's well you bums...

now, back to topic - Ian, what PAHUD stats do you display?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭BobSloane

Nice well Ian. only got thru a few pages of it yet so ignore any questions already answered

In order of importance how would you rate the following characteristics playing online

1. Aggression
    2. Patience
    3. Mathematical application

At the stakes you play I imagine aggression is everywhere. How do you balance 1 and 2 or do you ever have trouble here.

When you first sit at a table do you generally play a little looser than normal, a little tighter than normal or just play the cards as they're dealt and try an suss out what the others are doing?

Do you check/raise bluff on the river? At what level do you think a player needs to add this to his arsenal - or is it never!

What one characteristic frightens you most in an opponent?

When you bet on the river are you ever not sure if you're making a thin value bet or a bluff - or have you always decided its one or the other?

Which of these Bob Dylan epics do you prefer?

Its alright ma, I'm only bleeding
    Visions of Johanna
    Tangled up in Blue

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭pok3rplaya

Don't really have any questions but I just wanted to say that this is a good read and WELL done.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

get out of Ian's well you bums...

now, back to topic - Ian, what PAHUD stats do you display?

Sorry I'll finish that story later. It has the most ridiculous ending ever. Had to pop out for a few hours this afternoon.

At the moment, my hud looks like:

VPIP / PFR /Went to showdown% /Won at showdown% / Hands
    Cbet / Cbet turn / Fold To Cbet / Folds Big Blind To Steal / Attempt To Steal
    Flop agg / Trun agg / River agg
    Cold call preflop

I also use some popup stats for cbets, raises by street and how often they fold to raises on each street.

BobSloane wrote:
    Nice well Ian. only got thru a few pages of it yet so ignore any questions already answered

In order of importance how would you rate the following characteristics playing online

1. Aggression
    2. Patience
    3. Mathematical application

I'd order them as they are. Mathematical application is definitely the least important of the three.
    BobSloane wrote:
    At the stakes you play I imagine aggression is everywhere. How do you balance 1 and 2 or do you ever have trouble here.

Well patience is quite easy when you multitable as you get to play way more hands so you dont get fed up waiting to pick up playable hands. I try to win every pot I enter, but I usually have a plan for each hand. I dont just wildly bet all 3 streets. It's important to analyse peoples ranges for cold calling raises and 3 bets preflop as well as looking at the texture of the board. Most standard tags will 3bet AJ+, 99+ from the blinds as well as some suited connector type hands. Similarly most of them will cold call small pairs, so if you're getting alot of action with AK on an A26 flop after they've cold called from the blinds, it's likely you're toast.
    BobSloane wrote:
    When you first sit at a table do you generally play a little looser than normal, a little tighter than normal or just play the cards as they're dealt and try an suss out what the others are doing?

I usually start off playing my normal game, sometimes a small bit tighter. My first hand at a table today the button raised and I 3bet KQs from the BB. Fairly standard. Most of the regs I have stats on already, so I've got a decent idea of how they play.
    BobSloane wrote:
    Do you check/raise bluff on the river? At what level do you think a player needs to add this to his arsenal - or is it never!

Very rarely and only against people I know make very thin value bets. I dont think it's really necessary to do too much. I do occasionally minraise the river as bluff, as most people think that a river minraise is always a monster.
    BobSloane wrote:
    What one characteristic frightens you most in an opponent?

People who are super aggro 3 and 4 bettors and people who are excellent hand readers and make really light call downs. Some of the calls ive seen recently have been sick.
    BobSloane wrote:
    When you bet on the river are you ever not sure if you're making a thin value bet or a bluff - or have you always decided its one or the other?

I usually have a good idea. I read some thread a while back about value-bluffing and I've found myself doing that a little lately. I guess you could call it a thin value bet. pretty much the same thing.

BobSloane wrote:
    Which of these Bob Dylan epics do you prefer?

Its alright ma, I'm only bleeding
    Visions of Johanna
    Tangled up in Blue

From that list, Visions of Johanna, but they're all great. Idiot Wind from Blood on the tracks is even better IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Gholimoli

"Well patience is quite easy when you multitable as you get to play way more hands so you dont get fed up waiting to pick up playable hands. I try to win every pot I enter, but I usually have a plan for each hand. I dont just wildly bet all 3 streets. It's important to analyse peoples ranges for cold calling raises and 3 bets preflop as well as looking at the texture of the board. Most standard tags will 3bet AJ+, 99+ from the blinds as well as some suited connector type hands. Similarly most of them will cold call small pairs, so if you're getting alot of action with AK on an A26 flop after they've cold called from the blinds, it's likely you're toast."
    i think this is a gem .
    very nice indeed.

ianmc38 wrote:
    . Idiot Wind from Blood on the tracks is even better IMO.

ah yes. my favourite line if i suck out on someone is "i can't help it if i'm lucky". no-one ever seems to get it though. hardly surprising:rolleyes:
    stupid hootie raping and pillaging such a masterpiece

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭marius

Ian,

You say you multitable up to 12 tables, how do you deal with getting into a situation where you are playing say 4+ hands at the same time?
    If you are involved in a few hands will you fold hands on other tables that you would otherwise have played?
    Do you play as well with 10 tables as you do with 4?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Hi Ian,

interesting reading so far. I have or two questions to add:

Whats the best piece of poker advice you have been given?

Which would you prefer: Aces preflop every hand or the button every hand, holdem and omaha

Who would win in a fight Chuck Norris or Chuck Liddell

Ian fom your posts here I would assume that you're pretty much a cash game player and rarely play tournaments. When playing a tournament do you find it difficult to adjust to the inflection points referred to in HoH. As you play mostly 6-max cash do you think this might skewer your value system for hands at full-ring.
    Are playing 6 max cash with 100-300bbs and playing full-ring tournament with 20-50bbs just too different to be even classed as the same game?

• Advertisement

BobSloane wrote:
    ah yes. my favourite line if i suck out on someone is "i can't help it if i'm lucky". no-one ever seems to get it though. hardly surprising:rolleyes:
    stupid hootie raping and pillaging such a masterpiece

yeah i love it. My favourite Dylan song is actually off Shot of Love. A song called Every Grain of Sand. The harp, harmonica and lyrics in the song are absolutely mindblowing. Pure genius.

marius wrote:
    Ian,

You say you multitable up to 12 tables, how do you deal with getting into a situation where you are playing say 4+ hands at the same time?
    If you are involved in a few hands will you fold hands on other tables that you would otherwise have played?
    Do you play as well with 10 tables as you do with 4?

Up to 8, but mostly 4-6. At home I played 8 regularly. I find generally the more tables I play, the more I tighten up and the more my level drops. I'd estimate at 6-8 tables, I'm playing my B game at best. 4/5 is when I play optimally. When playing 6-8, if I'm in the middle of a big hand on one table, then i'll often fold hands on other tables I may otherwise have played.

Killme00 wrote:
    Hi Ian,

interesting reading so far. I have or two questions to add:

Whats the best piece of poker advice you have been given?

I cant think of any one particular thing. I suppose play extremely tight UTG and loosen up the closer you get to the button. Most people lose alot of money because they play too many marginal hands out of position too regularly and dont have the postflop game to make up for it.
    Killme00 wrote:
    Which would you prefer: Aces preflop every hand or the button every hand, holdem and omaha

Good question. I really dont know. Probably the button in both.
    Killme00 wrote:
    Who would win in a fight Chuck Norris or Chuck Liddell

liddell in seconds obviously, but I wish it was norris

BobSloane wrote:
    Ian fom your posts here I would assume that you're pretty much a cash game player and rarely play tournaments. When playing a tournament do you find it difficult to adjust to the inflection points referred to in HoH.

I have a fairly good grasp of inflection points. I'm usually shortstacked, so I'm well used to playing one of them!
    BobSloane wrote:
    As you play mostly 6-max cash do you think this might skewer your value system for hands at full-ring.

yeah i always feel lost playing 9 handed. seems like a completely different game and i often find it hard to adjust.
    BobSloane wrote:
    Are playing 6 max cash with 100-300bbs and playing full-ring tournament with 20-50bbs just too different to be even classed as the same game?

Lol. They arent in anyway comparable. Once the blinds are quite big in relation to stack sizes, the skill levels goes out the window. As i've said on countless other occasions, I think cash games are far more skillful than tournaments.

Ian,
    are you coming paintballing with us 2morrow?

has your soccer skills improved at all since the last and only time i played with you? (god you were bad)

have you managed to find your self a date yet on www.hotornot.com?

in relation to the comment you made that you prob rather have the button every hand than having AA every hand in holdem,do you want to play HU game with me some time where by i will have AA every and and you will have the button?
    we can start as deep as you like.(though a very deep game may take us forever).

that is all for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭cardshark202

Em I would def take AA every hand and its not close imo

Gholimoli next for the well and we can talk about diverse topics including hotornot.com and 4-betting blind

Gholimoli next for the well and we can talk about diverse topics including hotornot.com and 4-betting blind
    That hand we played together blind was pure genius on my part.
    i love the way i bitch slapped your ass and took the pot.
    We should do it again some time
    :D

Gholimoli wrote:
    That hand we played together blind was pure genius on my part.
    i love the way i bitch slapped your ass and took the pot.
    We should do it again some time
    :D

any time Gholi, I have been refining my blind HU strategy and reckon I have a definite skill advantage....see you around 4am some Friday night...

any time Gholi, I have been refining my blind HU strategy and reckon I have a definite skill advantage....see you around 4am some Friday night...
    you even had position on me,
    next time we will switch it around and play NL instead of PL ,what do you think?

i think my edge in blind NL is much greater in NL than PL.
    depending on position of course and whether or not the villain is a "math" player or a "instinct" player .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭AKQJ10

ianmc38 wrote:
    None that I can think of.

Kelly (god bless her)*

+1, the things that must go through her head.

Well done so far ian.

The heads up game we played for the gjp ticket was by far the most enjoyable heads up ive had(deep stacked, good opposition and a big bubble).
    What is your most enjoyable heads up game you've had.

Do you think the LAG game myself, buchan and Jbravado have applied to our games for live cash could be applied online or are we doomed to nit it up. Would be starting at 1/2.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

ianmc38 wrote:
    Good question. I really dont know. Probably the button in both.
    I haven't got a good q yet but I think AA and it's not close in either game, maybe if you go 10000 BBs.

Meh didnt really think about it. Was more a have to answer this right now. Would you say so in Omaha as well? AAxx? How about AAAx?

AKQJ10 wrote:
    +1, the things that must go through her head.

Well done so far ian.

The heads up game we played for the gjp ticket was by far the most enjoyable heads up ive had(deep stacked, good opposition and a big bubble).
    What is your most enjoyable heads up game you've had.

Do you think the LAG game myself, buchan and Jbravado have applied to our games for live cash could be applied online or are we doomed to nit it up. Would be starting at 1/2.

Yeah was a good game. i fel I played a little weak tight but it was v enjoyable.

Most enjoyable hu game I had was a 3 hour 2 table game I played on Full Tilt about 6 months ago at 2/4. Ended up down a small bit, but it was a great game.

I think there's definitely a profitable LAG style that can be employed, something like 36/28, but it requires excellent hand reading and postflop play. I dont think it would be a successful transition if you started applying your live game to online play immediately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭bottom feeder

Hi ya Ian, very enjoyable read indeed. Haven’t really got any questions that haven’t already been asked, hope the travelling and poker goes well for you in the future.
    Well done….!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Conspicuous

No you is the one who is wrong.

Ye dont be silly Lloyd is never wrong. Dont you know that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭jbravado

Firstly the student bar in Ucd was by far the most crack.

I travelled from bankok to Cambodia last year.It was the most horrendous journey I have ever indured.Torture.

Questions

I remember you once saying you had a pretty ridonkululous sum on a darts match-do you still bet on sports?Whats been your biggest score and following that heaviest loss?

Do you still love the game-or has playing as a career full time dilluted your enjoyment of it?Do you put a set amount into a non-poker/pretzel monies fund each month(akin to a pension plan or something similar)?

Have yo ever decided to "quit" playing?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭BigCityBanker

- Did you ever consider that you were actually playing bad rather than running bad?
    - How long in total are you playing holdem?
    - You started as a live player, how long was it before you ventured into online?
    - How long did it take you to make a successful switch from live to online 6 max? What was the biggest difficulty you encountered?
    - Was there any epiphany in your poker life?
    - What is the single best piece of poker advice you have ever received?
    - If you could only offer 1 piece of advice to a poker player what would it be?
    - You are charged with turning a live donk into an online player who can comfortably crush 2/4, what are the 5 most important things you would impress on him.
    - How much is it for a high class hooker for a night in Bangkok?
    - When you had your first ladyboy experience was it a crying game moment or were you like "whooa, ah sure il give it a go".

keep up the good work,

Noel.

jbravado wrote:

Questions

I remember you once saying you had a pretty ridonkululous sum on a darts match-do you still bet on sports?Whats been your biggest score and following that heaviest loss?

I do bet occasionally when I see something that's a good price or if i think it's +EV. I mostly bet on really short opriced dds on things.
    jbravado wrote:
    Do you still love the game-or has playing as a career full time dilluted your enjoyment of it?Do you put a set amount into a non-poker/pretzel monies fund each month(akin to a pension plan or something similar)?

I still love it, but I get bored from time to time. Usually a few days off and I'm grand again.

I dont really take money out of my bankroll unless I need it as I want to play the highest levels possible asap. Once I'm over the 100k mark, ill start dipping into it for investment purposes.
    jbravado wrote:

Have yo ever decided to "quit" playing?

I've taken a few breaks before, but I've never considered quitting. Even if i dint need the money, id still enjoy playing it as a hobby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭insafehands

1. How big is your bank roll right now?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement