Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ariston..and on...and on..[The Classic Ads Thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I've this ad stuck in my head all evening- anyone remember it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Glad to see no one has posted this yet!...

It just came into my head today! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭Ainekav

I used to love the old ESB ad where the guy gets up to feed the baby in his stripy pyjamas and the song "only you" played.

It's not on youtube though :(

Ainekav wrote: »
    I used to love the old ESB ad where the guy gets up to feed the baby in his stripy pyjamas and the song "only you" played.

It's not on youtube though :(

It is! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭unfortunately

Does anybody remember an ad from the late 90s which was for milk, I think. It was shot in black and white, and featured a good looking man in a suit undressing as he walks in a park. He is watched by a woman on a summer bench and he runs up and jumps over it. Eventually he is in his underwear and climbs up to the diving board of an outside swimming pool and dives into the pool of milk.

PS Sex can really sell anything!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭garfieldsghost

Brilliant thread! Love the old ESB ads.

Here's another great 1980s TV commercial:

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭zztop

Seen that ESB ad this morning with Hughes guy.Excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

bisto gravy. 'is trevor ever getting up?never in a month of Sundays' classic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Jordan 191 wrote: »

Is that Mrs Doyle (Pauline McGlynn) in the Clinic Shampoo ad @ 1:25? :pac:

Homestead: Fiúntas Ag Teacht Chun Tí

Anyone got a video of the Irish version? The English version is floating around YouTube but the only sign of the Irish one I can find was that it was uploaded to YouTube by a now banned user. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 M.Pellet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭Doge

I would greatly appreciate if anyone could find an old NEC advert from the 80s for me.

Or if they can remember it also.

At a rough guess it could have been out in 1987 / 1988 when I was about 3 years old.

All I can remember is that it was some kind of animation, that featured a modern city, possibly built out of clay, or some sort of dough,
    with high rise buildings, and with little clay cars driving down a high way.

The dominant colours would have been Blue, White and Grey iirc.

And the highway may have inclined high into upto the sky towards the end of the advert,

just before it fades into this NEC logo, which may have been white or blue:

Classic_NEC_Logo.png

Can anyone remember this advert?

I have a very vague but fond memory of it! Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭Doge

You can see the exact logo at the end of both these commercials:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,627 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Guy coming through customs, I think in Spain, gets bag checked. Guard finds something, tastes it, smiles. The line is "ees crispy, ees crunchy, ees confiscated!"

Anyone knoe what the ad is for?

Many thanks!

P.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

I can't believe that this hasn't been posted yet:

And the 2009 remake:

Lyrics:

There’s a magical place, we’re on our way there
    With toys in their millions all under one roof
    – it’s called Toys ‘R’ Us!

Soon after bedtime when dark night-time falls,
    Geoffrey & helpers stock up all the shelves,
    From ceiling to floor; books, board games & bikes,
    teddies, puppets & dolls,
    bats, spaceships & trikes!

There’s millions says Geoffrey, all under one roof
    – it’s called Toys ‘R’ Us, Toys ‘R’ Us, Toys R Us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

Check this. Has it all. politically incorrect bank ad, big glasses,moustaches and an ad for some awsome nightclub in Limerick.
    Oh and the coolest Murphys ad I remember. Yerman from "the Stud" is in it. Some gruesome totp also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvzccLRLj-M&feature=plcp

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

There was this ad on in the mid 80's,not sure what it was for but it might have been life insurance.It showed a photo montage of a man from baby to death.The soundtrack was this kind of popping sound that would go pop,pop in time with the pictures changing and halfway through the ad a harmonica joind in the soundtrack.The photomontages were really funny and one showed him with his adult children one of the sons was a hippy who the next montage showed the hippy son with two "wives" with a load of children of their own including a black child.The last few montages showed the man alone and getting more bent over till the last shot was a tombstone.Anyone else remember this ad or know what it was for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Anyone else remember this? Or am I just showing my age?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,288 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

darkdubh wrote: »
    There was this ad on in the mid 80's,not sure what it was for but it might have been life insurance.It showed a photo montage of a man from baby to death.The soundtrack was this kind of popping sound that would go pop,pop in time with the pictures changing and halfway through the ad a harmonica joind in the soundtrack.The photomontages were really funny and one showed him with his adult children one of the sons was a hippy who the next montage showed the hippy son with two "wives" with a load of children of their own including a black child.The last few montages showed the man alone and getting more bent over till the last shot was a tombstone.Anyone else remember this ad or know what it was for?
    That was an ad for Sony Trinitron TV
    I loved that ad. One of my favourite Commercials of all time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭washiskin

Not an ad I know, but I used to love these old Public Information Films. Unfortunately, I can't find "John, did you put out the cat?" :(

And the perrenial :

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Anyone remember from before the celtic tiger when there used to be adverts for fertilsers and pesticides broadcast during primetime hours? Its used to put me right off me dinner when they'd be going on about things like Liver Fluke and ringworm in the middle of the A-Team or whatever.

Anyone remember from before the celtic tiger when there used to be adverts for fertilsers and pesticides broadcast during primetime hours? Its used to put me right off me dinner when they'd be going on about things like Liver Fluke and ringworm in the middle of the A-Team or whatever.
    Where as now we have ads for Fungal Nail

Puts me off my dinner! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Can anyone remember back to when a lot (I'd almost say 50%) of the ads on RTE were just simple cuecards and a voiceover?

I used to think they were terribly unimpressive at the time but truth be told I'd almost welcome their return in favour of the A.D.D. adverts that prevail these days.

kitakyushu wrote: »
    Can anyone remember back to when a lot (I'd almost say 50%) of the ads on RTE were just simple cuecards and a voiceover?

I used to think they were terribly unimpressive at the time but truth be told I'd almost welcome their return in favour of the A.D.D. adverts that prevail these days.

Yes I remember them. I Black & White of course. Everything was on our telly.
    And the buzz on the telly would change with every ad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

theres a few at the end of this clip..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

i remember "hi-bloom, hi-bloom, sure is a mighty feed, hi-bloom is the only feed that suckys need.." to the tune of "convoy"

also "go straight for net, you wont regret, great silage you'll be storing... something, something.. net nitrate, net urea"!!!!
    !

and the nearest i could find for "triple a golden maverick" is a bit of a remake done by a fan!!!/....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

flanum wrote: »
    theres a few at the end of this clip..
    That card/voiceover ad for the wholesnack bar looks to have preceded the current boom in health bars. Ahead of their time! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

This Wrangler ad was a breakthrough at the time, combined a lot of 80's trends; electronic music, independent youth attitude and robotic dance:

"Nick 'em....I bought 'em!"

Popped into my mind just now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

UTV used to have that kind of ad on late night tv until fairly recently. They were usually for carpet shops on the Lisburn Road or for places like World of Leather (which probably isn't as kinky a place as it sounds)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Here's a few more for you

Trying to remember an ad from the 90's. It was black and white and done in sort of Kurosawa style. Can't remember what it was selling but it had an old man at the end sitting in the dirt crying.

Anyone know it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Trying to remember an ad from the 90's. It was black and white and done in sort of Kurosawa style. Can't remember what it was selling but it had an old man at the end sitting in the dirt crying.

Anyone know it?

Did it have "Old Man River" for music? I think that might have been a Guinness ad, but I am open to correction. I also remember that there was some graffiti on a wall in it: "life is a terminal disease".

Back to the 80s - McVitie's HobNobs - "One nibble and you're nobbled" :D
    Still have the badge from that campaign.

I found it. It was a murphys ad. It was in colour so that probably threw some people off. Not really that much like a Kurosawa film either now that I look at it!

This one popped into my head today for some reason...

I seem to have a memory in the early 90s when cigar advertising was about to be banned (possibly the night before it came into effect), that Channel 4 showed a programme of cigar adverts. Is it just me or did this actually happen?

One of my favourite ads when I was a kid was one for these kind of space invader shaped spaghetti.It showed a big can of the spaghetti landing outside a school like a spaceship.The headmaster who was wearing a black cape and morterboard hat hits it with his cane and is vapourised to cheers from the pupils.I used to wish that the same would happen at our school.

We got the cartoon classics bundle in our house for Xmas 1991.

I'd heard rumours it was coming for xmas and this very ad suddenly became about 50% anticipation 50% taunt for weeks in the run up to the big day.

Honestly it was amazing!

Some of the things I remember... I'm only 28.

I found it. It was a murphys ad. It was in colour so that probably threw some people off. Not really that much like a Kurosawa film either now that I look at it!

The reason for the confusion is that it was a follow up to another ad which was in black and white and was a tribute to Seven Samurai.It had these samurai going into a rural Irish pub and shouting out "Murphys".
    Edit:Here it is http://youtu.be/r3jJzLaIgPM

I hope he/she doesn't mind me uploading this one, but it's an absolute gem. Cheers to Baps for sending it on to me.

That jingle was burned into my head for 25 years, I remembered it perfectly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement