Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champix - anyone tried it?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dutchempress

hey people and all those ex-smokers (im so proud and envy you!!)
    I attempted to quit smoking with champix 2 1/2 months ago, I started to take the 0.5 in the morning i did take it with food feld so horrible i thought i was going to through up all around in the office *but i never actually threw up though.. I stayed a good hour after breakfast in the bathroom just in case.. ( i did blame it on the breakfast served at the cantine at works.. but now that i am reading this post it could be the tablet..) but on night 3 i couldnt sleep after 12 hour day at work normally i eat dinner have tea read a bit and sleeep ( sleeping is my hobby) so this was strange day 4 same thing happened and day 5 i was feeling irritated (maybe lack of sleep) so with the advice of my mom i stopped taking the tablets.. i do have to say that before i started taking them i already had strange ideas because 2 friends in canada had very suicidal thoughts.. but 3 i know quit so i was positive but kept this in mind...Maybe its the negative ideas, maybe its the thoughts who knows but i do want to be an éx-smoker!!
    so here is my question hopefully someone can help me so since i cant afford (sorry i really cant, and have 2 cartons of smokes laying here) i thought id try to quit again and by the time i finish the carton i should be smoke free and donate/throw the other one out..) can i cut up a tablet since i took the first week already? so that i take half a tablet in the morning for 3 days than 1/2 morning 1/2 evening for the other days till its time to take 1 full in morning 1 full at night?
    hopefully someone could answer me :) i do not have a medical card etc so a walkin clinic is 55 euros...and for this silly question i would prefer i dont have to spend the money ..i dont really have..
    THANK YOU!!! SO MUCH for whoever shouts out :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭eobphotography

just phone the doctor who prescribed it to you, you dont need to pay again to get advice about your prescription.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭eobphotography

failing that ask the Pharmacist who gave you the pills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dutchempress

thanks guys since my doc is in canada incl pharmecy i dont want to risk it and will go to a doc here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Folks. Champix is a prescription drug and cannot be just given away legally to someone else - and certainly not on boards.

Medical advice can also not be asked for or given on boards.ie.

I've just deleted a few posts offering packs of champix and offering medical advice (apart from the only advice allowed - talk to your doctor/pharmacist.)

Please report any further posts offering to give away prescription drugs or looking for medical advice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Silver Shark

started taking Champix nearly 3 weeks ago and have no problems so far thankfully, I am now 8 days smoke free and my husband is 2 weeks off the smokes thanks to Champix. Worth a try if you are desperate to stop and can't but I would advise to take your doctors advise first regarding possible side effects, thankfully I've been fine - only experienced the slightest queasiness for a couple of day. You do still need willpower but I definitely think it is a lot easier with these tablets just don't expect them to miraculously make you stop craving altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Silver Shark

I meant to say I have been smoking 20 a day for 34 years and I did it so you can too! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 ewanalex

Just an update, really, believe it or not I am still not back on them!! I still shock myself when i find myself in situations where i would normally light up without thinking! I know others on here have said you need willpower too, but in my "personal opinion" (most certainly not medical :)) i truly believe willpower on my part was very limited, if i had to use any willpower i would be back on them, as i have none! And we are just about to start building a house and its been a stressful few weeks i cannot believe i havent been tempted!
    Fingers crossed this is it for me! Hope this encourages someone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Last week after over 20 years of 20 a day I realised I no longer enjoyed smoking . Went to the Dr. and asked about Champix but he said only as a last resort given that it has been linked to severe depression in some patients.
    Have been using 7 or 8 pieces of 4mg Nicorette gum daily for a week and I'm amazed how easy ( relatively speaking ) it has been.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭susanweir

Go for it. Am almost 8 months off them thanks to Champix. Smoked 20+ a day for 30 years. Gave Champix up soon (after a month) because I couldn't stand the side effects, but I reckon that is so much better than smoking. My husband still smokes in the house and I succeeded. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭emer12

susanweir wrote: »
    Go for it. Am almost 8 months off them thanks to Champix. Smoked 20+ a day for 30 years. Gave Champix up soon (after a month) because I couldn't stand the side effects, but I reckon that is so much better than smoking. My husband still

smokes in the house and I succeeded. :D[/Quote

Well done you I really want to give up may I ask of they were expensive. , in comparison to ciggies !!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭susanweir

Hi Emer,
    No not expensive compared with smoking! When I got my prescription they cost about 90 euros for a month's supply with a DPS card. But they were well worth it IMHO.
    Good luck!

susanweir wrote: »
    Hi Emer,
    No not expensive compared with smoking! When I got my prescription they cost about 90 euros for a month's supply with a DPS card. But they were well worth it IMHO.
    Good luck!

Thanks Susan I will Deff ask doctor re them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Brandog

I'm a month as a non smoker thanks in part to champix.Tried most of everything else over the years but this gave me the edge to finally boot the buggers to touch.Still not a walk in the park mind but i don't smoke today!!!:)

Brandog wrote: »
    I'm a month as a non smoker thanks in part to champix.Tried most of everything else over the years but this gave me the edge to finally boot the buggers to touch.Still not a walk in the park mind but i don't smoke today!!!:)

Well I have an appointment with doctor today got up this morning and haven't had a ciggie yet ( normally would have had three now ) will keep yous posted I'm glad I came across this thread . :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 liltara

hello people im on day 13 of champix and im still smoking as many ciggies ,im hoping when my dose increases i will not feel the need for a smoke

all the best at the docs

liltara wrote: »
    hello people im on day 13 of champix and im still smoking as many ciggies ,im hoping when my dose increases i will not feel the need for a smoke

Well done im day 2 lol :)

just ad a big mac now i want a ciggi grrrr the champix dont seem to be working for me im on day 13 ,,i start my higher does in the morning

just ad a big mac now i want a ciggi grrrr the champix dont seem to be working for me im on day 13 ,,i start my higher does in the morning

Go for walk , take your mind off it , it's in de head :)

• Advertisement

morning everyone ,well iv started my 1mg this morning im hoping its gonna kick in soon cos im still smoking ,when are they going to taste horrid

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

morning everyone ,well iv started my 1mg this morning im hoping its gonna kick in soon cos im still smoking ,when are they going to taste horrid

they never tasted horrid to me - i just didnt want them anymore

evening everyone well im on my 16th day and iv finally dont have much desire for a ciggie although iv been having a few puffs on one .iv had 6 fags today thats really good for me as i usually smoke at least 30,when i having a few puff i dont seen to enjoy them anymore ,i gone past my quit date but oh well at least iv cut right down ,hope you all doing well look forward to more posts.

does any one know off any other champix chat groups

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭missmaw

Into my 12th day on starter pack and Second day off ciggies

Haven't had longings for them at all but as I said it's only been one day. Didn't notice much difference when on .5mg a day. A few days into the 1mg/day, I really started to notice a drop in how many I smoked, down from 15 to 5-6 a day and could barely finish half the cigarette. From day 9 on start to really feel sick if I smoked one and can't stand the smell when other people are smoking.

I have been fine with side effects so far, stomach has been only slightly upset but I have a weak stomach anyway.

Feels too good to be true so far but fingers,eyes and toes crossed it keeps going well

its been 2 weeks , im smoke free,,oh its better if you log into facebook and look up champix theres more up todate chat on there you can help each other all the best folks x:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭parrai

The problem with those electronic cigarettes tho is you are puttin nicotine into your body, your brain is actually goin mad cause it's getting way more nicotine than if you were smoking.... It's counter productive.

Hi parrai,
    For your kind information electronic cigarettes are available in different strength level that can be varied from higher to clear down zero. So its all depends up to you that how much quantity of nicotine you want to take. Electronic cigarettes are only a source by which you can limit your nicotine habit.

Yes I know this, I tried them, but you cannot fool your brain... Your brain knows it is still getting nicotine, and this is a powerful chemical... the only way to quit smoking is to quit smoking! I smoked for 20 years, I loved them... I could NOT quit, you know the reason why? I didn't really want to, as simple as that. Those electronic cigarettes didn't help me to quit, they just made me consume more nicotine, because I wasn't smoking and my brain knew it, so I wasn't getting the same kick, so what did I do? I was 'pulling' on it more, this was driving me nuts, cause I was taking in more nicotine, which was making me 'jittery'... Sorry buddy, but in my opinion they're no good...

In the end, I realised that the only way to quit, (for me) was to want to...
    I'm 7 months off them now, I still get the occasional craving, but it is just a fleeting thing, I know I don't want to smoke...

Hi Parrai,
    I don't know why electronic cigarette not worked for you. I think these cigarettes are far better than tobacco cigarettes and i think you know the side effects of cigarette with tobacco cigarettes.

Are you selling them?

• Advertisement

No, but I have experiences over these. I feels that electronic cigarettes are better than regular tobacco cigarettes. It is also very helpful for those who want to limit their nicotine habit.

Yes, but not when it gives them false hope... They are a waste of money... think about it logically, the addictive side of smoking is not the 4000 chemicals, it's the nicotine. Now what are these electronic cigarettes? They are a delivery method for nicotine... ie you cannot quit with them! If somebody wants to quit, why would they want to waste money on this type of system, when all they are doing is 'kicking the can down the road'.

Advertisement