Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champix - anyone tried it?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭hellodolly

Hi all, Im off the fags 3.5 months now and have saved €630. Because I'm not lying on the couch every evening puffing away with nothing better to do, I'm now doing an Open University course, a digital camera course and I'm on the treadmill every morning before work (did put on weight when I quit :)).

If you possibly can at all, try to stay on the full two tablets until you're at least 5-6 weeks off the fags; the longer you can stick them at full dose, the better they work to kill your cravings. If you're feeling sick or not sleeping, ring/go back to your doctor and see what they can give you for these side effects, just for the short-term.

I had to take sleeping tablets for a few weeks but when I started cutting the tablets in half (I reduced from 2 full 1mg tablets to 1 and a half, did that for a few weeks and when I felt I was able to face reducing it again I cut down to 1 tablet for a few weeks and so on), my sleep slowly started coming back. When I got down to just half of the 1mg tablet I no longer needed any sleeping tablets and my sleep pattern returned to normal.

I'm now off the Champix altogether and for the first week or two, I have to say I was thinking about fags quite a bit but I knew it couldn't be a craving because I didn't have any nicotine left in my system so it could only be boredom or stress or whatever that made me want one. The feeling would come and go and it's happening a lot less often so it's totally bearable now. Good Luck To The Brave! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 supa_stench

Hi all,

Its great to hear people having so much success with Champix. Im in week four myself and am highly confident that i'll never smoke again.

Im wondering has anyone experienced weird dreams that have actually come true?

I had a most vivid dream recently where I was at the funeral of that Lambert Puppeteer guy. He did a show in my school years and years ago but I have not thought or even heard about him since that day. I told my brother who laughed his ass off and told me I was going crazy.

Neither of us were laughing two days later when the Lambert Puppet guy croaked it for real. Im totally freaked out to be honest.

I am even starting to predict things while awake. Was watching Chelsea v Man city today with my dad and told him Lampard would score minutes before he did. Then told him Tevez would score minutes before he did. Then watched the Ireland Rugby game and predicted Bowe would score first try, a few minutes in Bowe scores first try. My dad then asks me to pick a horse from the paper as he was going to the bookies. Picked an 8/1 winner as easy as that.

I am freaked out bigtime.

Has anyone experienced anything similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭hellodolly

Hiya Supa Stench....can you predict the Lotto numbers? Cos if i were you i'd give it a go!

I did have some amazingly vivid dreams; nothing that came true really like what's happened to you, but really, really vivid, some were that I was smoking a fag and I would wake up panicking that i had done it, some had kind of like 'i was predicting my own future' feeling to them... Mostly dreamed about how I was being picked on or bullied but I was standing my ground and fighting back and winning (which i never ever dreamed before) (i mean dreamt i won, cos i always dreamt i lost in those sort of dreams before)

The strongest or most vivid thing thats happened to me is when i was awake, it was an amazing shot of confidence, nothing like ive ever experienced before! Ive spoken to other friends who have given up and they say the same...it's sort of like, i dunno, the 'God's' or something have like 'blessed' you with this 'wonderful gift of self confidence and courage'...I'm really tryin not to sound psychotic but i dont think im winning!! I really dont know how to describe it, maybe you've felt it already...with any luck :-)

Im off the fags 5 months next week and it just gets easier and easier every week that goes by; the want of a fag just features less and less in each day as life goes on...thank God! Best of luck, its totally worth all the weird dreams, lack of sleep etc

...and again.... if you're feeling dem Lotto numbers, show a sister some love & send them on :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 T.I.P

I have been smoking since i was about 12.
    I'm only 20 and have tried to stop smoking twice and failed.
    Once on gum, once on patches and the start of champix (i gave up after 2 tabs)

This time i've been told i either give up or my dads gonna throw me out :mad:

I have willpower..but it isn't my choice to smoke so i don't think i have the willpower to stop smoking. I really want to, my girlfriend doesn't like it and is the only one with faith in me. It's the same with college etc also. I can talk to my girlfriend, but sometimes i want to talk to someone in my family and they don't want to know.

I'm on day 9 of my champix, day 11 is my stop date..when i first started on about day 4 i noticed i didn't have the cravings to smoke on breaks at my work, after a meal, before bed..although i still would out of habit when at home. I don't smoke in my new car, which broke a big habit for me because driving and smoking was like..nothing else ha..

But i broke the cycle of tablets on a couple of seperate ocassions, missing my tabs, and i've noticed i'm smoking just as much as i did before i began (Around 15-20 a day).

My question is, have i ruined Champix' "miricure" treatment or can i still go on? Does anyone have any suggestions on how i could better my chances of stopping? Also, i will stop on Day 11, which is monday..but should i continue just now to smoke at my leisure, or ween myself off the smokes whilst on the tabs? Will it be too much of an ask of my willpower to just stop smoking completely?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I used these and was off smokes for 2 yrs, went back on when my husband lost his job.

anyway I'm using these tablets again and I have to say, I feel sick as a dog, I dont remember feeling like this the last time, my stomach is upside down and I have just had a small dinner and feel awful. Mind I'm only on day 8 of the tabs and have no interest in smokes at all, I had 6 today, usually I'd have about 16 by now and I just dont want another I feel so sick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭shanemort

Keep going! I'm on my last pack, Week 9, And havent had a smoke in 7 Weeks and 3 Days, I find i get a bit sick in the stomach but if i take the morning tab with some food its fine, i then take the late one in the middle of dinner so its mashed up in there with all the food so i dont feel anything, I did feel a bit depressed and grogey for a few weeks in the middle, but stick through it all and i feel great now. So much energy all day even late in the evening.

Stick at it, its worth it €20 out of the ATM on a monday and still ahve some of it on a friday... Your ATM card will love you.

Ah I'll keep going alright, mind the last time I used them for 3 weeks but only used half the pack, when I quit I took jut one tab a day after a couple of days. The last time I suffered terrible with dreams, which I do anyway but they were even more vivd and scary than usual, now its my tummy and sleeplessness.

I'm onloy smoking again about 6 months and when I did give up the last time my energy levels were so much higher than before, my teeth felt better, my breathing felt better, no chesty flemy coughs so I'm sticking with it, I'll whinge for a few days though about my tummy.

First no smoking day today, I'm a little frustrated but all the side affects have faded now

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭shanemort

Yea I'm Starting to despise taking the fecking things, I forgot to take for a day the other day and i felt like a million euro, Think these are bringing me down a bit, but I've my stags at the end of march and i'd prefair to be on champix for that cause if there will be any temptation i know it will be then...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 kiwi casper

Hi yas
    I googled about champix and found this thread, have read it and found it very interesting so joined up

I am on day 5th day not smoking and using champix and have had similiar effects like alot of what ive read on here.

Today I'm struggling abit, but am determined to get through it cause I know it will be worth it long term

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 WhollyChao

Hi all,

I've not had a smoke in 3.5 weeks now and I used Champix to quit. I was a smoker for nearly 8 years, in my mid-twenties now, and I am absolutely delighted that I finally managed to quit. I already feel so much better, friends and family say I look better in myself, however the psychological effects are a tad frustrating at times. My GP only prescribed me a month's supply of Champix, so the past week and a bit I have been experiencing a lot of dizziness, lack of coordination, feeling out of touch with reality as has been mentioned in this thread already. I find it hard to relax, or get 8 hours' sleep, some days I am just an emotional wreck. However, I know these will go away in time though, and I would highly recommend Champix to anyone who wants to quit smoking once and for all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 kiwi casper

:rolleyes: Hi ya ...well I donno this quitting smoking thing...lol...last 3 days I've had no voice and last night coughed so much it was like it was when I was smoking hard out...
    I am gonna get through this and am trying to stay positive but sheesh did I have to get sick.....lol

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭mitsybaby

I'm on day 8 of the tablets... haven't felt too sick so far but a friend of mine told me not to take them on an empty stomach!

I read Hellodolly's comment earlier and it said something about sore knees??!! i get really sore knees, but didn't think it was to do with smoking :eek: This is another reason for me to quit because i'm still feelin a little doubtfull! I'm reading Alan Carr's book along with them to reinforce it for me.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Nutleyphoto

Hi all,
    Have been smoking for years, and after reading all the positive posts, decided to give them a try. Did the 1st 3x days of Intro pack over Easter, but then reread the warnings about possible side effects. The warnings re fatique and dizziness and driving made me suddenly wary, as I'm a professional driver.
    So it's back to trying the patches again for me, hopefully with more success next time.
    Unfortunately this leaves me with an Intro pack with just the 1st 3x days gone. Would anyone be interested in these as a maintenance pack, offering to offset my expense? PM me if interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭jmbkay

Keep going all you guys! My sister has interstitial lung disease, not totally caused by smoking, but it doesn't help. Her doctor in Beaumont prescribed Champix and she hasn't smoked since last Wednesday. Before that, she was leaving the ward in a wheelchair to smoke. She was transferred to the heart and lung transplant unit in the Mater today, but says her breathing has improved since she gave up. It's not too late, hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Eithrin

I am off 7 or 8 weeks with Champix now, didn't feel much of the side effects, tough was a little down the first few weeks, but gravings a minimal and that stuff realy seems to work....have to say patches, allen carr and other methods did not work with me, smoked 20 fags a day for 25 years. Good luck for everyone trying !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭suzi-suz

Hi all,

Going to the doc tomorrow to get these pills I am so desperate to kick this filthy habit now I just hope they help me

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Sarah90

hi !
    i started using Champix last tuesday!..i smoked 20-30 fags a day!
    Day 1 i felt nothing smoked as many as i normally would!
    Day 2, fags tasted wierd , like i had ashes in my mouth! smoked alot less fags and didnt really ''need'' 1, was only smokin at them times that i would always deffo have 1..like wakin up, after food etc!
    Day 3, Fags tasted rotten! Turned my stomach to smoke a fag! at 7.30pm i heaved while smoking, ripped up my remaining fags and vowed never to smoke again!
    Im now on Day8 and still dont want a fag! there are times of course...like after a meal blah blah that i wouldnt mind 1 so ive tryed to change my routine! I dont eat to the point of been stuffed(a fag was always great for getting rid of that ''Full '' feeling! i dont come down stairs first thing (i used te smoke outside), i now spend an hour gettin ready before i go down stairs!just little things like that i find have helped me alot!
    Ive also been having the WIERDEST dreams! quite creepy ones! ive murdered people, saved lives, built housing estates d list is endless!!
    the only down side for me on these tablets is i have been feeling a bit detached! for a few days there i would go as far as describing it as depressed! perhaps it wasnt the tablets and maybe just the effects of nicotine withdrawal playin tricks with me! feeling much better now tho and positive i wont touch a fag again!
    would liove to hear how every one else is findin them!

Got my Champix and going to start 2morrow morning ... I am so determined to kick this filthy habit once and for all ... I am like a child the night before christmas sooo excited just hope the darn things work for me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭smithwicks

I used Champix for three weeks in March 2009 and i am still off the smokes. I smoked 25 a day.

The first morning i was very quesy but after that i was fine. The worst side effect was some of the dreams i had. Absolute crazy stuff.

• Advertisement

Its now day 2 on Champix had a ciggy at 7:00am this morning and didnt really like it but I finished it anyways
    Its now 11:15am and my husband just lit up his first ciggy of the day and I had to leave the room before I puked all over him the smell of it, if this is what a non-smoker smells then I am truley sorry for ever liting up around family and friends that dont smoke.

I have not felt any of the side effects mentioned and please god I wont ... I am happy in myself I have not had any cravings today so far and there a cigarettes in the kitchen so I know if I want one I can have one but I really dont think thats going to happen. I was a heavy smoker smoking between 4 - 5 ciggys before 9am sometimes 30 a day, and I am finding it hard to believe that I am not craving them....I am so looking forward to being a non-smoker and yes its still early days but so far so good, I will keep this updated as to how I am getting on cause if I can give up then believe me anyone can!!

so far so good .... now on day 4 and the double dose of Champix, I seem to be getting a lot of cravings today but so far since waking at 8:30am I have had 1 smoke which is fantastic for me cause I would usually have 4-5 just to wake me up lol but they are very mild and very easy to handle I just keep telling myself have 1 in an hour and it seems to be working cause its 12:30 and I have not smoked since the first 1 .... so far I have not experienced any of the weird dreams so thats good. my quit date is the 7th May which is in 5 days so I think am doing really well, my husband is still smoking and its not bothering me that much but sometimes I will see him smoking and think I would love a few puffs, it is hard but nowhere near as hard as cold turkey...well thats day 4 so far and am pretty pleased with myself just hope when I finally do quit am just as pleased! :D

Am now 1 week on these pills and they are starting to work cause I cant even smoke half a fag ... today I had 4 puffs of a fag and its tasted yuck, dont think al be smoking any 2morrow .... this drug really does effect people in different ways ... I have had none of the side effects and it was really no effort at all to go from 25 to little or nothing within a week .... in 2 days its my quit day but something tells me I will have quit by then, there is probably no1 reading this but its helping me so its all good .... so well done me :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Nicolacork

Hi Suzie. Glad to hear its all going well. Its a good idea to hear how other people are getting on. Today was my day 15 taking champix and my first day not smoking at all. I was hardly smoking much for the past 4 or 5 days anyway. The most id have was 4 in a day which was a lot less than my usual 20. I found that I kept lighting one out of habit then id have a few pulls and put it out again as it tasted horrible. Than about an hour or so later id do the same thing. My biggest problem is going to be smoking out of habit. After a meal, with a glass of wine or when im bored. I was fine all day until the evening which was harder. Especially as my boyfriend smokes. Anyway fingers crossed. Ive been smoking 15 years now and ive tried so many things so hopefully this is the start of me being a non smoker.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Nicolacork

oh and i haven't had too many side effects either. I have found it a lot harder to get to sleep and then ive been so drowsy when i wake up, no matter how many hours sleep ive had. Its extreme effert to try to open my eyes and get up. Other than that nothing so far. I was a bit irritable today but thats no surprise with the lack of nicoteen and that might even just be a hormone thing anway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

smithwicks wrote: »
    I used Champix for three weeks in March 2009 and i am still off the smokes. I smoked 25 a day.

The first morning i was very quesy but after that i was fine. The worst side effect was some of the dreams i had. Absolute crazy stuff.

I also gave up smoking using champix, 15 months ago now, the dreams were the best part for me. Normally I don't remember dreams but while on Champix I had the weirdest dreams but they were so vivid :) I'd nearly go back smoking just to have another go on the champix :D

Well done Nicolacork I am now 2 days off them and dont miss them 1 bit...my husband still smokes like a trooper and its not bothering me thats what I was dreadin most even sent him packing out in the cold to have his smokes but felt sorry for him hunched in the corner so let him back in lol ....only thing is I keep forgettin to eat before the second pill and its making me feel sick for about 15 mins other than that they really are magical pills wouldnt be able to do it without them

CoalBucket wrote: »
    I also gave up smoking using champix, 15 months ago now, the dreams were the best part for me. Normally I don't remember dreams but while on Champix I had the weirdest dreams but they were so vivid :) I'd nearly go back smoking just to have another go on the champix :D

Well done Coalbucket ... can I ask you was it easy to come off them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

suzi-suz wrote: »
    Well done Coalbucket ... can I ask you was it easy to come off them?

Ya It was fairly easy to be honest. I took champix for a week before I went off them and only a month after (think it was supposed to be 2 or 3 months after). I really wanted to give up and had tried all the patches etc. but found the champix method very easy because there was no cravings whatsoever.

Even now though I still see people smoke and it looks like they are really enjoying it. Then I think back to when I couldn't get through a half an hour without feeling withdrawls and think nah they won't be enjoying it later !

I know when you first go off you are them you are counting the days. But it won't be long till the days become weeks and the weeks become months.

Remember too that you have done the hardest part and it gets easier and easier.

Stick with it and Good luck.

• Advertisement

CoalBucket wrote: »
    Ya It was fairly easy to be honest. I took champix for a week before I went off them and only a month after (think it was supposed to be 2 or 3 months after). I really wanted to give up and had tried all the patches etc. but found the champix method very easy because there was no cravings whatsoever.

Even now though I still see people smoke and it looks like they are really enjoying it. Then I think back to when I couldn't get through a half an hour without feeling withdrawls and think nah they won't be enjoying it later !

I know when you first go off you are them you are counting the days. But it won't be long till the days become weeks and the weeks become months.

Remember too that you have done the hardest part and it gets easier and easier.

Stick with it and Good luck.

Thanks Coalbucket I fully intend to stick with it I have made the choice to quit and I am going to be a non-smoker ... I dont miss the stale smell of smoke on my clothes and hair ... I thought getting up first thing in the morning would be a killer but its not there are fags in the house as my hubby still smokes but they dont bother me and am like a nagging wife telling him to go to the doc and get a script for Champix he needs to give up as he had a scare a couple of weeks ago and was told to give them up or they will give him up! .... life is good and it can only get better ... thanks again Coalbucket and well done you!

Advertisement