Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champix - anyone tried it?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Eithrin

Hi again, i am still off the fags, naturally, but i stopped taking champix a week ago, i was just starting on my last month supply, but i realized, that those things are pulling me down, felt frustrated about everything (exept giving up smoking) and came to a decicion to stop with the tablets, because if by now i havent started again, that means i wont start again even without surpressors or whatever they are. And its as easy as with Champix at the moment.
    I am very thankfull for Champix because they are the reason why i am off the smoke, but think they should be closely monitored for the side-effects they might have on individuals.
    Anyone with simular experiences??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭suzi-suz

Off the fags 2 weeks and feeling excellent ... no cravings whatsoever cant believe how easy it has been!! I now have my husband taking them which is great .... still have not had any of the side effects ( touch wood ) .... Good luck to everyone giving these pills a go they do work believe me they do!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

My OH is on day 10 of her Champix course. She says she doesn't feel like smoking as much - and I presume her stop day should be in the next few days. She's still getting a buzz of the cigarettes though, and I thought that would have passed by now.

Any of you go this long before stopping smoking while on a course?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 therealtruth

i did i gave up on champix on day 14 and that was on 27th July 2009 and i have not had one since and after about 3-4 months all the cravings were gone, only a mental though which was rare, and i've never looked back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SMK

I took them for three months before stopping :o

But I am now off them....

Three years, two months, two weeks, two days, 1 hour, 16 minutes and 43 seconds. 29326 cigarettes not smoked, saving €10,337.53. Life saved: 14 weeks, 3 days, 19 hours, 50 minutes. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭TalkieWalkie

I am on day 5 of the champix program. You are supposed to quit between day 8-14. I smoke roll-ups and am not sure if I am smoking less yet, still have the same cravings as before, fingers crossed though. I'll keep posted :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kilmac80

I am on day 16 of champix, i am now off the cigarettes 2 days, i thought i would find it extremley difficult as i have smoked 20 a day for the last 15 years but on my date to give up i had no problem, i do not crave the nicotene, but i feel like a part of me is missing, crazy at is seems i miss them out of pure habit, i have a chart made up and i tick it off every day, under each day i have the price of a packet written, and after a week the price that i would have spent during the week and so on for the month, it seems to keep me motivaed,
    My brother gave up on them and he was a smoker of 40 a day, but he hates them with a passion now, im still feeling a bit under the weather when i take the tablet, i find my stomach get extremley upset but this lasts only about 20 mins then it passes, even if the upset stomach lasted all day they are still worth taking to give the cigs up,. hopefully i will get stronger as each day passes.
    i hope everyone on them has great success with them,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭eobphotography

Great reading all the positive posts on this thread, very encouraging and inspiring, well done everyone!

I'm on day 9 and stopped smoking today. Just saw a collegue going out for the after lunch fag and i actually felt repulsed at the idea of joining him!! yesterday i was down in the smoking area too! (Smoking but not enjoying them) I was thinking that would go on for ages, but today i just woke up with no desire to smoke. It is my "quit" day but to be honest as i was still smoking yesterday I doubted I would. But talked myself into it last night and am finding it really easy.

I have had NO side effects, ok my dreams are a bit more interesting, but not crazy or anything, no sickness, no depression or detachment. Hopefully this will continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭shanemort

i posted on here 11-03-2010, 19:38 and i was week 9 then and off them 7 weeks well now im still off them.

Feel great and defo have noticed the extra cash, Keep it up all you lot and don’t look back.

Its a disgusting habit now when i look back, also when someone has just been smoking its gross them sticking and breathing it everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭hellodolly

Great reading all the positive posts on this thread, very encouraging and inspiring, well done everyone!

I'm on day 9 and stopped smoking today. Just saw a collegue going out for the after lunch fag and i actually felt repulsed at the idea of joining him!! yesterday i was down in the smoking area too! (Smoking but not enjoying them) I was thinking that would go on for ages, but today i just woke up with no desire to smoke. It is my "quit" day but to be honest as i was still smoking yesterday I doubted I would. But talked myself into it last night and am finding it really easy.

I have had NO side effects, ok my dreams are a bit more interesting, but not crazy or anything, no sickness, no depression or detachment. Hopefully this will continue.

Well done! It's the BEST THING YOU HAVE EVER DONE!!! The first three weeks are the worst! After that there is no nicotine left in you so you only have to deal with the actual addiction (habit) side of things...which can take a while (for some people) to mentally overcome! Look at it as ever decreasing circles...the longer that you are clear, the pangs get weaker and further apart :) I didn't realise I also had to deal with the five stage of grief mind you! Once I got past anger (don't frickin smoke in my house!!Grrr) I was totally cool and am a clean-living hippy at long last (except for the beer :D)

Smoking is a terrible scourge (it is 100% guaranteed to make you a nictotine addict): it grips your self-esteem, your actual self-confidence and literally crushes it and you don't even know it...until you quit and as you rise out of the smog, you quickly realise that you have only been living half a life whilst you had nicotine in your bloodsteam ... Best of luck, it can only be the number one, 100% truly correct best decision you have ever made :)

• Advertisement

Holly and Shane and anyone else reading, list all the positive things about giving up you have noticed since quiting, I'm suprised to hear about the self esteem thing holly, so there might be many more benefits to quiting that I wasnt aware of. The list could give me added encouragement!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭hellodolly

Well the absolute best thing was that I got this amazing confidence kick that started a few weeks after quitting and I pretty much hold that confidence still :D I could still do with a bit more but I'm way more confident in myself than I was as a smoker (smoked for about 18 years from the age of about 16); I'm the most confident that I have ever been as an adult.

Other things are more obvious: my taste buds work now; I can taste the real flavours of food. My favourite thing in the world when I was a child was a can of coke. I thought they had changed the flavour of it for years until I quit and discovered it was exactly the same all along!

My feet and hands aren't freezing cold anymore; they would get really cold really quickly in winter-time or even at night in thin soled shoes in summer my feet would get cold and be actually sore from the cold. It took a few months to notice it but I really did this winter when I was out knee-deep in snow and my feet were cold alright but nothing like before; and they get warmer way quicker too :)

Another thing is my knees used to really ache if I exercised/kneeing down gardening/walked excessively or anything similar. I was convinced I had arthritis (I'm only 36 now!); the aches and pains disappeared from my knees within 4 months of quitting and they never came back :) I generally don't take any painkillers for anything anymore :)

Like I said, the confidence thing is the best; the nicotine addiction smothers your pure spark. Since I quit I've completed a level one course with Open University and I'm working on my second course. I also did a digital photography and photoshop course (and bought a deadly camera with my ex-smoking cash :)). I'm starting another course soon. I also decided to move house and rent mine out so i could make some extra cash so i could go part time so i could study and Im about to move again with a view to buying a site to build on. I have never done so much in so little time... You get a hell of a lot more done when you're not stopping for a fag break every half hour!

Hope this helps! Best of luck! :D

great stuff Holly! Well done! Day 3 now and finding it not too bad, the odd pang but very managable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 anja 78

hi all, and well done to you all for sticking to it.
    i am on day 5 of champix after smoking aroung 15 a day since the age of 10,
    i am now 32. dont know what i was thinking back then and the thought that my daughter turns 10 this year which is the age i started absolutly terrifies me.
    i have tried giving up before on the patches for 3 months but that was torture,
    then i tried the inhaler which was just gross and didnt do anything and finally cold turkey about 1 year ago, i lasted 5 days.

i am now on day 5 of champix and things are looking good,
    on day 1 i halfed my ciggi`s to 7
    on day 2 i had 3 and the third one was not very nice at all
    i have been smoke free since then i do get the occational urge but so far so good its never enough for me to acctually have one i have stocked up on chewing gum and lolli pops, they help alot.
    side effects: i dont think i got any to be honest, i do get very tired now but that is a good thing as i normally never go to bed till 12-1am and i struggle getting out of bed in the morning, but now i go to bed at 10pm and get a good night sleep. dreams are more real but not much difference there as i dream every night anyway.

so all in all its looking all good, love champix. hope it doesnt change next week when i go up to 1mg pills.

well day 15 and 6 days off the fags, a week tomorrow whoohoo!
    No real problems so far, I kinda miss them, like you would an old friend, but not enough to go and get some. I've been out drinking (mind you with a non smoker) and it was ok, no major cravings. No side effects either. I've noticed my energy levels have improved significantly, also going to bed earlier, as i am not fake stimulating myself with ciggs till 12 or 1 so having a much better night sleep and feel rested in the mornings. So I think I'll do it! The first time I've felt this sure about quitting ever. Its a great little pill!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 diddler1

well I'm on day 7 of taking the tablets and going on to the double dose of blue ones tomorrow and quitting on tuesday, now for anyone out there that wants to know if they work , well here's my opinion ,, im on day 7 and feel that i am smoking now because of habit and not the want of a cigerette, when I smoke now I don't enjoy it and wonder why I am smoking it in the first place so all I can say is roll on tues morning where I will be smoke free. I have had minor side effects so far like being more tired and when i do fall asleep I am very restless, legs all over the place(so the wife said anyhow).
    I realy think that champix is going to make this easy for me so good luck to all you guys out there taking or thinking of taking champix.

PS : Do smokers realize how horrible they smell after smoking!!!!!!!

good luck everybody

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭mitsybaby

Hi all,

yeah I'm 10 months free in a couple of days all thanks to Champix! they made it really easy for me! i read Allen Carr's book aswell just to reinforce it. I was sick on day 9 and 10 but after that i was fine again.. (i picked day 14 to stop!) i was still reading the book so decided to finish smoking with the book on day 20! i carried on taking Champix for 5 and a half months, again, really wanted to make sure!!! I didn't want to start again but I haven't looked back! and I didn't put on much weight! i went from an 8 to a 10 which is grand.. my house and car and me! smells a lot better, my smokers cough is gone but i notice a tightness in my chest when i'm around other smokers... (which worries me when i still see people smoking around children!)

all in all i love the fact that it's been made so easy for me because I hate when things take too much effort!! lol... It doesn't bother me at all not having smokes anymore, and even seeing people smoking doesn't affect me! i will say one thing tho... I don't drink anymore either so i can't say 100% how drinkers find it although i don't see any reson why it can't be done!!! just don't pick up the first one!! that's what i tell myself!

Best of Luck to everyone!!! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭rock garden

Hi all quit for 4 weeks in 2007 using champix . tried them again in 2008 and 2009 but they did not work. Started using champix again last friday keeping fingers crossed.I have been told they dont work the same after the first time .Has anybody here heard of this . also has anybody had sore knees while using champix .My knees are real sore since monday . Regards RG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ShortyG

Im just on day one of takin champix been readin all the posts and feelin worried about the side-effects like vivid dreams and sleep problems as i dont sleep well at the moment.... been smokin since i was 14..26 now managed to give up a few yrs ago lasted over 2 yrs on my own had none for over 2 yrs then went through a rough time and went back on tried again a few times with no success :( really want & need to get off them now...

Can anyone give me advice ????

Hi Shorty,

Just make sure you eat something before you take them every day cos they can make you feel a bit sick.. and drink plenty of water, i noticed that i got very thirsty on them, especially after waking up in the morning!! they are great tho.. i didn't get any really bad side effects thank God, but i know some people have... good luck with it!! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ShortyG

thanks mitsybaby ...

I've already started to notice the need to drink lost count how many pints of water i've had but managin fine so far would usually have smoked 10-12 by now i've only had 5 feelin very positive this might finally work..... thank you so much for the advice ;)

No probs... i'll be a year off them next month thanks to Champix!!! best thing i ever did.. :)

Best of luck.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Mrsbananas

Just wanted to update here, I'm off them 2 years this month thanks to Champix.
    Best of Luck to those still trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Cork Boy

NoDrama wrote: »
    Great to hear some experiences regarding this drug; I’m 36 and I’m a heavy smoker for close to 20 years, 40+ a day.
    God, have I tried desperately to stop, I went to the doctor there about 6 weeks ago, and the option on the table to me was the patches or Champix; she was more inclined in prescribing the patches to me as Champix is a relatively new drug, so I went for a course of patches which were successful for 11 days, smell, taste and general well being, which were absent for so long in my life were slowly appearing right back, on the second day I could smell the neighbours house off my family home which brought back vivid memories. And ironically here I am typing with a cigarette; even these words are being masked right in front of me from smoke.

I really have it bad, I will take all those bad dreams as I go to bed at night and only sleep in 2 or 3 hour spells and have to have a cigarette to fed my fix, most mornings when I get out of bed the ashtray which was clean and placed the night before has 4 -5 butts in it, and this before the usual morning fix which is so common for most smokers.

I went to the doctor this morning and went in nearly crying and begging for Champix, God, I have taken every drug for the exception of Heroin and I can safely say from my life experience that nicotine is the devilish of all drugs.

So I have here a month’s supply off Champix which I will be starting in the morning, I’m have way through the only way to stop smoking.
    I need (and do want)to stop smoking, there affecting my life in every aspect, I can feel my heart (oh, can’t describe, like spikes) my self esteem regarding relationships, (god I’m good looking bloke, though I’m so aware off my addiction to cigs, smell etc,).

Anyways, in just typing these words, it’s helping me. And for anyone who has read through this garbage, thank you for your time.

That's not garbage at all. I could watch every Disney death a with eye clamps for 24 hours and not shed a tear. Reading about people's desperation with regards to smoking does get to me though. Going to the doctor at the weekend and refusing to leave the surgery until he gives me s script for some champix. I'm 27 and smoking half my life now, went off them for 18 months when I was 17 and was out one night... well, you know the rest :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭susanweir

Best of luck Cork Boy!

Go for it now and you will have most of your life smoke-free. Champix helped me quit. Am off cigs 3 months and took Champix for one month. Keep us posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Mr. 2

Just want to throw in my support for anyone looking to give Champix a shot. I'm off the smokes almost 2 years thanks to this drug. I also know 3 others who successfully quit using it.

I was on 20 a day and smoking over 20 years. I can't say I found it easy with Champix - my first attempt failed. I tried again about 2 years later and so far so good. I actually feel healthy now.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 raff8001

Hi to all,
    I am new to this but would like to share my experience. I am on day 9 of champix and day 2 of no smoking. The first 7 days I felt a little off! Day 8 was my quit day so far so good! No sickness or any other side effects so far since I stopped smoking. I am smoking 20-25 per day for the last 21 years, have tried to quit before but to no avail. I am finding it so easy with champix I am having little cravings but nothing I can't handle!!
    Wish me luck I know its early days yet.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭susanweir

Good luck Raff8001!

You have taken a very important step. Everyone here will be rooting for you. I quit with Champix too, and am 5 months and two days smoke free. Was a 25 a day smoker for 30 years.

All the best:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 raff8001

Thanks a mil! Found the weekend a little harder, just had a few puffs on saturday night on the qt, back on track again since yesterday and feeling great, so much energy and much happier within myself. Hubby has promised to quit today as well but he'l do it cold turkey!
    Wish my luck!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 ewanalex

Hi everyone, i have been stalking this topic for quite some time and it gave me the courage to try Champix, i must admit i was anxious of the side effects, however this was my experience:

I smoked about 25 per day for 20 years.
    I loved smoking and really enjoyed my cigarettes
    I actually didn't really want to give them up (yes true)
    I decided to try to quit when i noticed all my friends were quitting one by one using Champix (and to save some money)
    I handed in prescription to pharmacy back in February but didnt start taking the Champix untill about 8 weeks ago.

Started taking the Champix and didnt feel any different at all for the first few days then when youre meant to up the dose to 2mg a day i had terrible dreams and i felt exhausted so i dropped back down to taking 1mg per day and this is what i continued to do.

So for about 3 weeks taking 1mg per day i continuedd to smoke as normal then all of a sudden without even trying i noticed i was gathering boxes of full cigarettes in my handbag, i was buying them every day as normal without realising i was smoking way less.

I continued taking the 1mg and just took my time, i put zero pressure on myself to quit, i decided it it worked great if it didnt, i will try some other time when i really want to give up.
    But then gradually i noticed i was down to smoking about 3/4 cigarettes per day!! Amazing!
    And 11 days ago now i just didnt want one at all and havent smoked since and believe it or not i still have a box of cigarettes in my handbag.

I am completely amazed that somone that didnt really have the urge to quit has quit, and believe me i was a first thing in the morning smoker! And last thing at night and as many as i could fit in at lunch time!

The only advise i can give to someone trying Champix is grin and bear the few mins of nausea that i got some mornings when i took my tablet, i didnt feel comfortable taking the second tablet and it worked for me, might not work for everyone but i think if you have a relax approach about giving up it might work better than putting pressure on yourself. It took me longer to quit than most people on here but i guess thats the side effect of only 1 tablet a day, i am still on my second pack of Champix and i will continue for another couple of weeks.

Fingers crossed my new smoke free life continues.....

Advertisement