Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champix - anyone tried it?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I think it's different for everyone. I smoked 20 plus a day for over 20 years. After about a week of taking them I was less inclined to smoke but continued smoking for two weeks (I think) after starting the course.
    6 weeks after starting I did lapse and smoked for a whole weekend so the desire was certainly still there after that time.
    Quit again the Monday after and will be off them 4 years next week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Hi all i am on my second day of using champix ,it has all ready started to work i would normaly smoke 20/30 rolies a day but only smoked 8 so far today ,every smoke i took i got such a horrable tast like battrie acid in my mouth its so sickening ,i plan on stopping the fags on day 9 but the way they are tasting at the moment i probably stop sooner.
    best of luck to others who have started

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭DMCC71

Hi all! How are ye all doing? I am almost on 11 months!!! I can't believe that in a short few weeks I will have the year done!! At the start your goals are very short term, but as time goes by it goes from hours and days to weeks and months.
    I really give champix big credit for this achievement but let us not forget that each of us needed to make the decision that the time is right to quit and then stick with it. The champix will get you over the first few nasty hurdles, and that's what I realised I needed. I wanted to stop for a long time but could never get past the early cravings and withdrawals.
    Good luck all!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

9 days smoke free :) ,champix realy working for me,today was the worst day for longing but i put it down to the fact i was minding the kids while the wife was away for the day also having mad dreams

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭lila44

Wee update

Will be 5 months on 31st...madness!!

Only did about 2.5 months of the Champix, that's with halving the dose cos the full tablet in one go made me sick!

Cravings still show their face every now and then, especially when drinking, but due to a recent health scare, I am for SURE more determined to stay off them!!

Good job everyone!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 86Sarah

I tried Champix once before, it made me soooooooo sick.
    I stopped taking it and went back on the fags :(

I have cut right down now from 20 a day to about 6 or 7 except when I'm out for a night. Then it all goes a bit crazy and I can still get through a full pack in the night!!

Really determined to give them up soon though, it's just so hard :(

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭lila44

86Sarah wrote: »
    I tried Champix once before, it made me soooooooo sick.
    I stopped taking it and went back on the fags :(

I have cut right down now from 20 a day to about 6 or 7 except when I'm out for a night. Then it all goes a bit crazy and I can still get through a full pack in the night!!

Really determined to give them up soon though, it's just so hard :(

Did you try halving the tablets? Like, you're meant to take 2 whole tablets on one day, but I halved one tablet, took half in the morning and half in the evening. I hardly felt sick at all doing it that way!

It is still so hard, even with the champix, but with determination and support you can do it! But YOU really need to WANT to give up!

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭La Haine

Hullo everyone!

I'm 41 next month and for the last 20 years or so I was averaging about 20 a day, though in reality it was probably more - you know the usual, when you're out for a pint and stuff. :O/

My health is actually fine, all things considering - but for me it's the €300/€350 a month.... AFTER TAX..... that I'm looking forward to having back again.

I'm on day 10 of Champix and on day 2 of not smoking.

I've a slight craving, if I'm honest - as I haven't gone 2 days without a cigarette in years.
    Slight 'tension' feeling in the head and across shoulders.
    Like everyone; absolutely CRAZY dreams!
    No mood swing or anything, thankfully.

Have training tonight (kickboxing) that I'm looking forward too - as it's a fantastic outlet for that 'tension' feeling that's going on and a good distraction from the ciggs.

Incidentally, I haven't had a drink since last July and if you knew me you'd find that remarkable - so I really hope I can do the same again with the ciggy's.

:O)

Best of luck. I was round the same age, smoked the same amount and duration when I gave up.
    It's not easy and I hope you make it.
    Keep telling people I was six weeks in the Champix course and broke down for a few days. Don't think you have it kicked after a few months. I'm 4 years + off them and still have the odd urge to smoke.
    Money you save is huge. Never considered this an issue when I smoked but looking back on the cash I wasted over the years now, is frightning.

Hi all!!!
    I am very proud to announce that it is 1YEAR TODAY since I had a cigarette!!!
    All the tough days now seem a distant memory and I actually feel like a non smoker.
    To everyone who is starting out or maybe struggling, all I can say is stick with it! The feeling I have today is something I would recommend to everyone.

1 year done and many more years to come!

• Advertisement

2 weeks gone and so far so good.
    Only taking 1 tablet a day now as wasn't comfortable on two.

:O)

[IMG]http:///Users/chriswilliamson/Desktop/IMG_5905.PNG[/IMG]

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Will91w

Trying to quit the natural way here. It's the crazy mood swings and absolute urge for wanting a fag is what makes it so hard for me!

Will91w wrote: »
    Trying to quit the natural way here. It's the crazy mood swings and absolute urge for wanting a fag is what makes it so hard for me!

I'm 11 months, 2 weeks and 4 days smoke-free.
    That's €3,307.83 saved in that time.

Stay the course buddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Day 5 on champix I stopped smoking on day 2 and I have that niquitin quick mist for the cravings

Anyone have a problem with the quickmist ? Ie if I spray it into my mouth straight and it gets to the back of your mouth you have an immediate urge to hurl ??

Hi all, it was 2 years last Saturday since I had my last cigarette thanks to champix. Best thing I have ever done for my health and my quality if life so for anybody struggling, please hang in there, it is worth it!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Off cigs 18 days now I don't have any cravings at all now !

• Registered Users Posts: 30 cathb

Im 47 have smoked for 35 years!!!! That's not a typo but yes shameful. For past 30 years have smoked 20 a day. On day 13 of champix and.....nothing!! Also reading Allan Carrs book for second time. I just want to know how people actually did/started the first day off ciggs. Would really like some input as first thing im still going for when I get up in morning is my cuppa and ciggs. No waning on need to smoke at all. Help!!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 cathb

Im 47 have smoked for 35 years!!!! That's not a typo but yes shameful. For past 30 years have smoked 20 a day. On day 13 of champix and.....nothing!! Also reading Allan Carrs book for second time. I just want to know how people actually did/started the first day off ciggs. Would really like some input as first thing im still going for when I get up in morning is my cuppa and ciggs. No waning on need to smoke at all. Help!!

It's about 5 years since I quit but I think I was on champix for about 2 weeks when I fully quit smoking. Had been smoking a bit less once I started on the tablets. Maybe going from 20-25 to 5-6 by the time I quit fully. They certainly reduced the craving to an extent but you're still going to need a fair bit of willpower.

Everything was going fine then about six weeks in I broke down and smoked over a weekend. Stopped again on the Monday and haven't had a cigarette since.

Everything seems easier with the benefit of hindsight but the reality is it wasn't easy. Looking back I did go a bit mental for a while (nothing too bad) whether that was the tablets, stress in work or just withdrawl I don't know.

Was it worth it, do I see benefits? - hell yes.

Best of luck cathb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭ejabrod

I got Champix back in October 2006 (I was 31). I had smoked for 19 years and had been up to over 100 a day. When I got them they had just been released to the market and even my Doc didn't know about them.

Almost 9 years later and still don't smoke.

Used to feel nauseous when I walked past smokers (after taking Champix) and still do (but not as much now - maybe need a 'top-up'!)

The price is significantly less now that they were then and I'm not sure if they are as potent but I've never looked back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭mel123

Hi All

I only started today, and I feel like I've taken a sleeping tablet. I'm struggling to stay awake in work. The pharmacist told me this could be one of the side effects. Will it pass as in will I be like this every day taking them, or does you body get used to them and side effects pass? Its that bad I just feel I could close my eyes and sleep at my desk.

I don't remember being droozy but I guess it effects people different ways. If it's that bad I'd be inclined to ring the doctor who prescribed them and ask if this is normal?

Did you have a big lunch mel??? :p

I didn't feel more tired when I was on them (as far as I can remember)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭mel123

This is beyond any big lunch :-)

The pharmacist said to me when giving them to me and explaining how to take them etc, the most common side effects are tiredness, nausea and vivid dreams.
    I will keep taking them anyway and see how I go, I couldn't cope with this if I have it all the time id have to stop taking them! Was just wondering if anyone else felt the same.

lol

I would expect the tiredness would only be temporary

IMO you should try stick with it as the long term benefits are huge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

So, 2nd attempt with the Champix. Stayed off them 6 months last time and got big headed.. Tut tut. At 34 now, I've realised I want to be around longer so today is my last day smoking. Fingers crossed for ever.

1 week off cigs today. Sweet!

32nd day off smoking today. Haven't used Champix in over a week and still going strong. They helped me over the worst of it

Fair play Paddy. Just don't get too complacent. I'm off them 5 or 6 years this month and am still wary of the feckers.

• Advertisement

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Fair play Paddy. Just don't get too complacent. I'm off them 5 or 6 years this month and am still wary of the feckers.
    Oh I've my guard up still. Get the odd craving but drinking water or going to gym get me back on track!

Advertisement