Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champix - anyone tried it?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭jamescc

slarkin123 wrote: »
    This is my third day off the smokes using champix . Im actually finding its not too bad at the moment. I've tried to give them up twice before but was a complete failure.

I had being warned by 3 members of my family who had terrible side effects. Bit luckily enough I've not had any yet.

i had one side affect i could not not sleep for a few nights.
    a glass of warm milk helped , i am 10 weeks off them now .

• Registered Users Posts: 13 killacat

gimli2112 wrote: »
    killacat wrote: »
    My 14 days is this Monday so 4 days time and haven't really felt less of a desire to smoke but getting some of the effects, like dreams, poor sleep,bad taste, detachment... Really disappointed cos was hoping this would be a magic solution!! Am I being premature, might it kick in yet??

I smoked for over 20 years and never considered giving them up. Went on Champix thinking "This is never going to work" It certainly reduced the cravings somewhat fairly early on but you still really have to want to give up.

I stopped smoking fully after about 20 days. Six weeks in broke down and smoked a whole weekend. They were the last cigarettes I had & that was over two years ago. Still get cravings and wouldn't mind one now but to be honest quitting is the best thing ever.

Hope you stick with it. Quitting's not easy and I don't envy you but well worth it, if you can.

3 days off them, definately easier than any other time I've tried, early days but hopeful...!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Gee I'm an Admin and never noticed this Forum:o

Smoked for 30+ years, Used Champix, now clean for 6 months. Great product. NO desire to ever go back smoking. Only side effect I suffered was an inability to fall asleep easily. I am not sure how this product is handled over seas, but here in Japan its got from a doctor and there is a 2 weekly medical check up for weight and lung capacity, I think for me watching my lung capacity increase incredibly is what kept me on the right path.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 georgygirl

Hey I'm hearing you. I'm on day 21 of taking champix but still smoking. I'm probably smoking more now. I think we're we might be going wrong is just picking a quit date and bite the bullet.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭slookie

You need to bite the bullet. I quit on day 14 as I new I would be out that night...still only smoked 3 or 4. Off them 2 weeks now, and easiest thing I've ever done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Hats

Hi All,

Read this forum before I took my first tablet. Was a bit worried about the possible mood alteration side effects, as I suffer from depression. But warned a couple of friends to keep an eye out for changes to my mental state, and am happy to report that 22 days into the programme, I'm as happy as larry, and smoke free since day 5. I haven't had any of the side effects, apart from day 1 when I felt a little queasy - I have taken the tablet with food since then, and no problems.

I would encourage anyone who wants to quit to try these tablets, after smoking for 11 years - its really easy. The first few days off the smokes requires some will power, and I was like a demon on my 4th day, but since then its been easy sailing. I have had the occassional craving, but they aren't strong and don't last long - I even spent the night in the smoking area on Saturday without the desire to have a cigarette with my friends.

Best of luck to all who have quit, or are about to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Tried champix about 4 Years ago and it made me lose the craving for smokes 100% but stupidly one weekend I smoked anyway and that was it, back to square one. I take my hat off to everybody who has quit or is in the process. I feel guilt when I look at my children and I might go down the hypnosis route as it really worked for a pal of mine

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Hats wrote: »
    I even spent the night in the smoking area on Saturday without the desire to have a cigarette with my friends.
    Isn't that the strangest thing. Same here. I thought I would have to steer clear of smokers and places people smoke... No problem. That I really appreciate.
    The other thing, by way of encouragement, is I never realized how horrible smokers smell, or how bad the smell of nicotine on my clothes and in my house was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 orlamcnevin

Day 2 on Champix...Does everyone wait the full 14 days before quitting? Is thats what's recommended?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭slarkin123

Day 2 on Champix...Does everyone wait the full 14 days before quitting? Is thats what's recommended?

I stopped on day 8 and am still off them a week later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

If wait until day 14 to quit you'll still be smoking on day 15, either give up around day 10 or keep smoking until you give up, but do not stop taking the tablets or skip days.
    I gave up on day 30 something, still happily off them 5mts later, could never go back full time smoking again. The thought of having to take the tablets again for 3mts is enough to stop me thinking about smoking.
    Don't quit the tablets regardless of how much you want to or the side effects. The side effects of staying smoking are a lot worse, i've some friends pushing up daisies that will testify to that.

If wait until day 14 to quit you'll still be smoking on day 15, either give up around day 10 or keep smoking until you give up, but do not stop taking the tablets or skip days.
    I gave up on day 30 something, still happily off them 5mts later, could never go back full time smoking again. The thought of having to take the tablets again for 3mts is enough to stop me thinking about smoking.
    Don't quit the tablets regardless of how much you want to or the side effects. The side effects of staying smoking are a lot worse, i've some friends pushing up daisies that will testify to that.

Thanks for that. I thought the general rule of thumb was to quit on day 14 of taking the tablets. I have that date in my head now as quit day so am going to stick to it. Good luck everyone!! Am going to keep reading this thread as a motivator! Well done to all you now non-smokers!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭mitsybaby

I stopped on day 21 because I was reading Allen Carr's book as well and it was real easy! Only side effects were the thirst and strange dreams.. But nothing too mad.. I'm off them over 2 years now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭hellodolly

CHAMPIX DOES WORK!!! I am off the fags three years this Friday!!!! All thanks to Champix and the Alan Carr book!!

I had TERRIBLE insomnia on it...but I went back to the doctor and she gave me sleeping tablets and I stuck it out as long as I could and as soon as I came off the Champix my sleep returned to normal. My symptom was so rare though, hardly anyone gets it on Champix as far as I know.

Good luck to all!! I have saved over 10,000 euro in three years just by not smoking!!!

hellodolly wrote: »
    CHAMPIX DOES WORK!!! I am off the fags three years this Friday!!!! All thanks to Champix and the Alan Carr book!!

I had TERRIBLE insomnia on it...but I went back to the doctor and she gave me sleeping tablets and I stuck it out as long as I could and as soon as I came off the Champix my sleep returned to normal. My symptom was so rare though, hardly anyone gets it on Champix as far as I know.

Good luck to all!! I have saved over 10,000 euro in three years just by not smoking!!!

Congrats thats a great achievement. I'm just over 2 weeks fully off them and i must admit its not as bad as i thought it would be. I do get a few headaches but that could also be put down to 3 kids.

Day 1 today. Feeling pretty good so far.
    Felt too weird being at my desk for the whole morning so grabbed a coffee and read by book for 5 mins.

I think the trick is to think about something else as soon as it enters your head!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I've not smoked in a year, thanks to champix.

I was at the gym last night, getting an assessment done. Part of that was a lung capacity test.

I was delighted to be right in the middle of an average reading for a man of my age.

Last year I wouldn't have been

• Registered Users Posts: 13 killacat

gimli2112 wrote: »
    killacat wrote: »
    My 14 days is this Monday so 4 days time and haven't really felt less of a desire to smoke but getting some of the effects, like dreams, poor sleep,bad taste, detachment... Really disappointed cos was hoping this would be a magic solution!! Am I being premature, might it kick in yet??

I smoked for over 20 years and never considered giving them up. Went on Champix thinking "This is never going to work" It certainly reduced the cravings somewhat fairly early on but you still really have to want to give up.

I stopped smoking fully after about 20 days. Six weeks in broke down and smoked a whole weekend. They were the last cigarettes I had & that was over two years ago. Still get cravings and wouldn't mind one now but to be honest quitting is the best thing ever.

Hope you stick with it. Quitting's not easy and I don't envy you but well worth it, if you can.

Off them 3 weeks, happy days!! Stopped taking the champix after 3 weeks, 1 week after actually stopping because the lack of sleep and teeth grinding was driving me mad, but off them and going strong...

• Registered Users Posts: 3 francooper1

Don’t know much about the lolly pop method, but if it works for you go for it. I gave up smoking about 6 months ago, with the help of Champix. I was smoking for about 16 years or so, and i had my fill of the horrible things. First thing in the morning, i was looking for a FIX, and then a big mug of sweet coffee. One day i just got it in to my head, i have to stop this madness. The price of the things as well, if i was to save the money i could have a new car under me bum.

Let me just say firstly, giving up is hard, but continuing on smoking is not an option...”its an addiction

I went to me doctor... I said. Doc, I want to give up these horrible things. The only time i see you doc, is once a year with a chest infection, and that’s largely down to smoking 20 a day. He said alright, try CHAMPIX. So i did. First week i smoked and took Champix. Second week, I smoked less and took Champix. Third week, i couldent look at a smoke, let alone stay in the same room as someone smoking.

I felt a bit off the first week, kind of sickly feeling in the pit of my stomach, second week, i was feeling a bit detached from reality, this actually lasted for a few weeks. Third week, i was totally and utterly off smoking. i had no real side effects apart from vivid dreams of all sorts.

i was put on a 12 week course of Champix, but after 8 weeks i stopped taking them. i have never looked back, and i will never put one of them smokes near my lips again.
    i have tried many time to quit, and this time i know its for good. what ever the Champix does, it re programs you into thinking smoking is not nice and makes you feel kind of sick, i compare it to a clockwork orange, when they reprogrammed Alex so he could no longer harm people, minus the eye clamps of course.

My lungs defiantly feel much better, but from time to time i feel i cant take a deep breath, sometimes i wakeup feeling short of breath and have to get out of bed and occupy my mind with TV or something. I think this is normal, as it seems to be the body clearing out all the poison from the lungs.

Smoking is an addition not a habit. Habits can be broken very easily, addition needs a cure. Anyway, that my few penny’s worth on the subject.

Cheerio

Thanks for this information iam on day 6 and still smoking but not enjoying them apart from the nausea i feel like iam drugged or removed from reality or spaced out i hoping this wont last as i want this to work

emer12 wrote: »
    susanweir wrote: »
    Go for it. Am almost 8 months off them thanks to Champix. Smoked 20+ a day for 30 years. Gave Champix up soon (after a month) because I couldn't stand the side effects, but I reckon that is so much better than smoking. My husband still

smokes in the house and I succeeded. :D[/Quote

Well done you I really want to give up may I ask of they were expensive. , in comparison to ciggies !!

did the side effects include fatique and feeling removed from reality i feel like spaced out i keep thinking i will go for a cigarette but then cant be bothered

• Advertisement

iam feeling really weird on these tablets spaced out and demotivated i have delayed reactions i really dont like the feeling but i have cravings for cigarettes but cant be bothered to have one ... so maybe its working most people just seem to talk about the nausea which iam experiencing also but i can ive with that if it means i stop smoking

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Dubsta

At day 10 now smoke free! 2 more days left of my starter pack not sure if ill need any more! Smoke for about 19 years n never wanted to quit but I think my lungs were slowly but shurly going to give up on me and at 32 smoking 24-28 cigarettes a day was not going to better that by any means! Also the financial aspect of it!!

Keep coming with the good news stories, I started reading this thread when I started taking the tablets and can honestly say the stories have me the extra push I needed!

Well done everyone! C

• Registered Users Posts: 28 jessie5

Hi guys can`t beleive Im on day 4 of not smoking, have to say day 3 was a bit wierd as I could not get the cigs out of my mind. I have smoked for 30 odd years now and first time giving up thanks to champix. I have to say it hasnt been too hard, think tablets take the edge off..fingers x I can do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

jessie5 wrote: »
    Hi guys can`t beleive Im on day 4 of not smoking, have to say day 3 was a bit wierd as I could not get the cigs out of my mind. I have smoked for 30 odd years now and first time giving up thanks to champix. I have to say it hasnt been too hard, think tablets take the edge off..fingers x I can do it.

Weird was just looking at box of champix trying to decide when I'll start them! What day did u come off can I ask?

m`lady i started tablets 17th oct and picked 29th for my give up day.. its tells you to pick between day 8 and 14 to give up the fags.. Definately go for it you wont regret it.

oh god ive had a bad day ive smoked 3 cigs after been off them for 7 days.. if feel so bad. any advise anyone

oh god ive had a bad day ive smoked 3 cigs after been off them for 7 days.. if feel so bad. any advise anyone

Don't feel bad. There's nothing harder than giving them up. You made it a week so you know you can do it. I've found hard sweets are a life saver to have around. I like the lime ones cause once you pop one in your mouth the taste takes your mind off the cravings fairly quickly.

Thanks for your support Slarkin i need to get out to the shops and get some hard boiled sweets.. ive also been reading Alan Carr again which has got me back into the right frame of mind.. heres hoping..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I'm off them since January 2010. About 1/2 way through the champix course I broke down and smoked a ton (maybe a 100) over a weekend. Haven't had one since. It's not easy but well worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 daybyday1

Hi to you all,

Congratulations to all of you!

I was a smoker for ten years and no matter what I smoked a pack a day. I couldn't control it at all. I was very very addicted. Started taken Champix 4 March 2012, and quit smoking on the 21st. Champix helped me control my urges and truly i dont think i would have made it without it. No side effects except the vivid dreams. My life change completely without having the disgusting habit of smoking, controlling it. This forum also helped me through this process and this is why i m telling my story, hopefully to help others. I know it helped me immensely. For over 6 months I was doing amazing, I was very proud and so happy to be free. I would go out to drink and didnt crave it, i would go through arguments with my boyfriend and didnt need it anymore to "calm me". It was really great!
    Unfortunately, a bit over a month ago i was out for a drink with a friend who smokes and i don't know what i was thinking but i smoked and have been increasingly doing so since!! I dont know what to do now! I feel so so stupid and bad. I cant believe i am bad here. All of my bad smoking habbits returned like these 6 months never happened! I ve been smoking secretly from most of my friends and family cause i do not want to make it official cause i do not want to smoke anymore but here i am again. I try everyday not buying cigarettes but i cant help it and at some point i go out and buy. Do i go back on champix? To be honest i really dont want to but i tell myself everyday that today is the last day and i m putting my foot down and comes tomorrow and i still cant control it.

Advertisement