Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champix - anyone tried it?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Been there. Done that.

Relapse sucks.

I finally got quit after numerous failed attempts during years of numerous methods.
    In the end I got there on my 4th month of Champix !

My advice is don't despair. You are not the only one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Yeah I'm constantly aware how easy it would be to get sucked back in. I assume you can go back onto Champix and that's what I'd do after talking to a doctor first. Hope you make it back from the dark side!

It's funny but one of the things that keeps me off them is the shame of having to go to family and friends and say I'm back on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 daybyday1

Thank you for your advice and support.

Haha, its so true, telling my family and friends is really awful. I know how proud they have been for me and how proud i was for me and it sucks. Relapse sucks indeed.

I guess Champix round 2 here we go...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sueandjohn

Hi i just want to say my brother is 47 and he used champix to quit he didnt even get to use them all and he quit,but now he is constantly coming down with bad chest infections,he is still off them a year and a half,so i think i will be giving them a try myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

This seems to be an old enough thread. I wonder if anyone can say that they've been off the cigs for more than a year, without cravings after having taken champix?

Nicotine replacement therapies have more than a 98% failure rsate after only 6 months. I was wondering if champix, being a competitor of sorts worked any better...side effects aside?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭mitsybaby

goz83 wrote: »
    This seems to be an old enough thread. I wonder if anyone can say that they've been off the cigs for more than a year, without cravings after having taken champix?

Nicotine replacement therapies have more than a 98% failure rsate after only 6 months. I was wondering if champix, being a competitor of sorts worked any better...side effects aside?

Hi Goz83,

I'm off the smokes nearly 3 years (April) from using champix... I found that they made it real easy to stop, I also read Allen Carr's book... I had little to no side effects thankfully, I felt sick for a few days, the worst was day 9, 10 and 11! (make sure you eat when you're taking them!) I had some very strange dreams but they were more funny than anything and I was thirsty all the time... I had a pint of water beside my bed every night!

I took them for 5 and a half months altogether because I wanted to make sure it worked and it has!! I don't get cravings, I can stand in the smoking area with my friends without it bothering me.... But to be honest it's too cold for that carry on!! Lol...

Good luck!! :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Side effects are horrible but my wife is off the cigarettes a year next month. She has no cravings, but is often repulsed by smokers walking past her. She didn't even do the full course because the side effects were so bad though

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

Starting Champix tomorrow with the husband and we've set a quit date for Monday week. Really want to give up. We'll have an extra 5k a year and we plan to take some nice holidays and weekends away with our new found wealth. Will update soon. Well done everyone who's given up -no matter how you did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I dunno. I was a heavy smoker and i used the gum and lozenges to quit. I'd heard about champix and its side effects and thats a risk I wasnt ready to take. Here's some info on Champix:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varenicline

• Registered Users Posts: 1 rochfoj

5 years ago, after 40 years of cigarette addiction - 20 to 25 a day - I got a prescription for Champix tablets from my GP and having completed the regimen over a 4 week period, I haven't smoked since. No ill effects either. I would strongly recommend them to anyone who has the motivation to quit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭susanweir

Two years off them after 30 years of smoking 20-25 a day. Champix worked after several attempts using nicotine replacement.

Ok so we're on day 4 of the champix. This is our first day of 2x 0.5mg tablets. No ill effects from the tablets yet, maybe a touch of nausea for 30 mins after taking them, but its ever so slight and hardly worth mentioning. Today for the first time we noticed that the cigs are starting to taste not so nice and not really getting a hit off them. 6 days to go until quit day, so hopefully the cigs will become far less attractive by then. I can only liken it to having eaten the fag instead of smoking it, nasty aftertaste in my mouth.

Hope I get the mental dreams some users experience, I used to dream all the time but can't seem to remember them anymore.

On a separate note our doctor prescribed nicotine patches with our champix but I've read elsewhere online that you should not take champix with nicotine replacement therapies like the patches, I will ring our doc and ask his advice again, but just wondered if anyone else had been prescribed the patches with Champix?

Back in a few days to update, hoping it might help anyone else trying to give up or anyone who's thinking about it. I've been on 10-15 a day for about 20 years and Mr H2U has been on 20 a day for about 35 years so if we can do it will be a real breakthrough.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Denise2012

Off the cigerettes 8 months thanks to champix. Wouldn't have been able to do it without them! Hard to take tham for the first few days but well worth it when you get to the end of the packet. Best of luck to all trying to quit

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭mitsybaby

Ok so we're on day 4 of the champix. This is our first day of 2x 0.5mg tablets. No ill effects from the tablets yet, maybe a touch of nausea for 30 mins after taking them, but its ever so slight and hardly worth mentioning. Today for the first time we noticed that the cigs are starting to taste not so nice and not really getting a hit off them. 6 days to go until quit day, so hopefully the cigs will become far less attractive by then. I can only liken it to having eaten the fag instead of smoking it, nasty aftertaste in my mouth.

Hope I get the mental dreams some users experience, I used to dream all the time but can't seem to remember them anymore.

On a separate note our doctor prescribed nicotine patches with our champix but I've read elsewhere online that you should not take champix with nicotine replacement therapies like the patches, I will ring our doc and ask his advice again, but just wondered if anyone else had been prescribed the patches with Champix?

Back in a few days to update, hoping it might help anyone else trying to give up or anyone who's thinking about it. I've been on 10-15 a day for about 20 years and Mr H2U has been on 20 a day for about 35 years so if we can do it will be a real breakthrough.

You shouldn't need patches at all... Smoke normally until your quit date and then stop smoking, but keep taking the tablets..

Good luck! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭billyduk

I was on here giving this product a glowing reference about a year ago when I first started taking the drug and seeing the positive effects. What happened after this was a nightmare. If you have at any time in your life suffered from a mental illness (even mild depression) do not take this.

My own GP would not prescribe this to me because I suffered from clinical depression in my early 20's. Because of this I went to a new GP and lied about my mental health history. Everything was rosy for the first 3 weeks and I was down to 1 or 2 cigs a day with ease (and I didn't even want those to be honest)! I can barely remember what happened to me between week 3-6 and for two weeks after I stopped taking this. Looking back on that period is like looking back on a story somebody told me rather than something I experienced myself. I had a complete detachment from reality, suffered anxiety attacks and severe depressive states. I am not discrediting this drug at all, it works for so many people and if you can honestly say you have not experienced a mental health issue in your life then do talk to your GP about the possible benefits of this drug! All I am saying is to discuss your mental health history with your GP too before accepting a prescription.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭celticcrash

Billy is right, Champix with any kind of mental illness or addiction is highly dangerous. Even past illnesses or addictions are highly dangerous with Champix.
    Sorry not all doctors are on the ball about this. Some doctors think that if their patient has been well for years, that it would be ok for them to take Champix.
    My own experience with Champix took a bad turn after about 5 weeks. I started to feel depressed. This was not the blues. more of a sharp fall into depression. I halved the amount I was taking and finshed the course a month early.

I believe here in the USA it used to be prescribed as an anti-depressant but that use was discontinued(!) and now its only for quitting smoking.

Here is an article from Time Magazine about the top ten drugs linked to violence.

Champix (Chantix in the USA) is number ONE:

1) Varenicline (Chantix) The anti-smoking medication Chantix affects the nicotinic acetylcholine receptor, which helps reduce craving for smoking. Unfortunately, it’s 18 times more likely to be linked with violence compared to other drugs — by comparison, that number for Xyban is 3.9 and just 1.9 for nicotine replacement. Because Chantix is slightly superior in terms of quit rates in comparison to other drugs, it shouldn’t necessarily be ruled out as an option for those trying to quit, however.

Read more: http://healthland.time.com/2011/01/07/top-ten-legal-drugs-linked-to-violence/#ixzz2K8Eq7F00

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Tip

Just to put in my two cents ---- Champix is the reason that I'm off the smokes over 3 years will be 4 in May 2013. It is a miracle after 38 yrs of cigs and I thought I would never be able to quit my 20 a day habit. No problems for me, I stayed on the Champix for longer than the 3 mths, I think about 5 mths in all , and reduced down the mg to wean myself off them, I really could not believe that I could do it. All I can say is Champix makes it doable. Just go for it, its the best thing that you can ever do for your health. I feel great, and my skin has dewrinkled !!!! (LOL)!!!!

I'm off them three years last month. Champix certainly helped me but I wouldn't recommend it without proper medical advice. Previous poster mentioned it but looking back on when I was giving up it's like I was a different person.
    Whether this was the drug or just withdrawal, I don't know

• Registered Users Posts: 28 jessie5

Im off fags nearly 4 months now using champix.. I smoked 20 a day for about 30 years and had tried cold turkey, patches and hypnoses but nothing would work for me.. I am still taking champix but im on my last few tablets so fingers crossed i can do it. By the way the money i have saved is unbelievable.

• Advertisement

jessie5 wrote: »
    Im off fags nearly 4 months now using champix.. I smoked 20 a day for about 30 years and had tried cold turkey, patches and hypnoses but nothing would work for me.. I am still taking champix but im on my last few tablets so fingers crossed i can do it. By the way the money i have saved is unbelievable.

When I smoked the money was never an issue. Non-smoking friends would tell you that you'd save a fortune. My response would have been "meh". At that stage the issue is just a concept.
    It's only when you actually give up you realise what a difference it makes.
    I've been largely recession proof as a result - extra taxes/charges etc and I'm still well ahead of where I would have been when I smoked.

Well we've both not had a ciggy for 72 hours ( honest I'm not counting!)

It's not been too bad actually, not getting so nauseous from the tablets but have been having some funky dreams but I count that as a positive side effect.

A few cravings but nothing we can't handle and they pass in minutes.

Bit stroppy in the mornings past few days but was expecting that. So far so good.

Hang in there!!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,255 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Anyone tried this who has epilepsy, but not taking drugs for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭billyduk

fritzelly wrote: »
    Anyone tried this who has epilepsy, but not taking drugs for it.

Seriously? That is definitely a question for your doctor and not an online forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭DMCC71

Hi, I am now on day 7 smoke free!! I am finding it much easier than any previous attempts, the medicine seems to be looking after the cravings which only leaves me to deal with the little devil in my head and that is ok at times and a little more difficult at other times.
    I am still getting fairly anxious at times but I think I am ok to deal with it.
    No major side effects, just find it hard to get motivated and a few weird dreams. I don't mind the dreams because in a strange way it is letting me know the drug is working.

Oh by the way I have found this forum a great help and will log on and have a read if I get a bit low!!! Thanks all!!!

Best of luck DMCC71.
    They say after 3-4 days all the physical cravings are gone but not sure if that means much. I was off them about six weeks and then had a temporary relapse (2 days). Haven't smoked (other than the relapse which I pretend never happened) in many years now but I'd never consider that I've beaten it. Just know I'd find it very easy to pick up again if not careful.

Thanks! I knew the day I stopped that I would have to commit to never putting a cigarette near my mouth again or else I would be back to square one again!
    I hope the thought of going back to the first few days of quitting will be enough to stop me from ever smoking again!

• Advertisement

Wow - not quite sure how we've done it but its four weeks tomorrow and neither of us has touched a cigarette. There's been some hairy moments and a few cravings but its been a lot easier than I imagined it would be. The champix has REALLY helped. And there are no noticeable side effects at this stage. I really hope we've cracked it this time. Will check back in here when we've finished the course. It's well worth the initial outlay. We've still saved nearly €300 in the first month.

Advertisement