Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2007-2008 NHL Season thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

B00MSTICK wrote: »
    Leafs vs Sabres live tonight on Setanta.

Can't wait for this after losing they're first 2 games the Sabres have hit back with 6-0 and 7-3 wins and with Spacek and Campbell on fire the loss of Briére and Drury doesnt seem so bad.

College early tomorrow but I won't be missing this :D
    Yeah I'm up at 6.40 but will try stick this one out. Think I'm going to go Sabres as well, although with hockey betting you might as well just throw it all on black, it's all over the shop. Looking forward to seeing Buffalo live for the first time this season.

Hardly suppose you're heading over to the Winter Classic BOOMSTICK? Need someone else to share travel tips with!

€5 on Buffalo -1.5
    €10 on Buffalo outright
    €5 on over 6.5 goals.

I'm either brave or thick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Heh glad to have you with me Joe! Ya you never know how its gona go really! Nah I'm going to Pisa over the christmas so I can't justify (or afford!) another trip! Should be unreal though!

Ugh Setanta is screwed! Game radio it is then!

Watched the Panthers-Habs game last night, with a tenner on Montreal. So depressing.

A goal up very early on, sat on it for a good 55 minutes and gave away a silly penalty with two to go, conceding with 10.2 left on the clock. Then lost in a shootout. I guess it just goes to show what a great goalie can do for you, Vokoun was on top form. Huet was great as well though at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

I loved staying up last season to watch games but id end up wrecked. cant do it too much now. really wish they started earlier

• Advertisement

You follow any team in particular?

Devils @ Pens tonight, will try my best to stay up for it! Will do a schedule for the coming two weeks tomorrow night.

Lightning vs Bruins at 00:00 too. Gotta get me one of those video sender yokes so I can watch it upstairs in bed!

B00MSTICK wrote: »
    Lightning vs Bruins at 00:00 too. Gotta get me one of those video sender yokes so I can watch it upstairs in bed!
    Tried watching the Penguins game last night and was asleep before the puck was even dropped! Bloody early starts in work! Will really try harder tonight though, might even sleep 8-12 and get up to watch it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obp8G2JFgkM

The goal of the season contest is already over, RentedMule will be a happy camper after this one! He's the new Crosby! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

Good news everyone!

The CBC are streaming deferred coverage of games covered on Hockey Night in Canada worldwide! Simply click on the link below and select "CBC's Hockey Night in Canada" to bring up a treasure trove of highlights and full games.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/player/

The only full games up yet are the ones shown on HNIC from October 20th (Florida @ Ottawa, Chicago @ Toronto, Edmonton @ Calgary) but more will definitely follow as the weeks progress. The live games can be viewed by clicking the "HNC Complete games" link in the left hand menu. The full games are normally up a few hours after the game is finished. Nightly highlights can be viewed by clicking the "Hockey Night Highlights" link.

Bravo CBC!

• Advertisement

Certain broadcasters could learn from this...

Also love the way the NHL put video's on YouTube and never object to any fans that do likewise. They certainly have their heads screwed on. Anyway, plays of the year so far...

Week One:

Week Two:

Week Three:

So far my favourite goal is still Toews, though Justin Williams going upstairs on Toskala was so impressive.

Favourite assist has to be Evgeni Malkin, no bias there whatsoever. :)

Most impressive save is Christobel Huet in week one, against the Hurricanes. You'd be hard pressed to beat that. Dwayne Roloson also deserves a mention for his skate save against the Flames last week.

Finally, Ryan Smith returns to the Oilers tonight, expect tears and an ovation.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Also, how good is Anze Kopitar? Pity he's surrounded by mediocrity really.

He's class to watch, still a pity about the Kings though. :p
    [I]Eastern Conference[/I]

[B]ATLANTIC 	GP 	W 	L 	OTL 	PTS 	GF 	GA 	PP% 	PK% 	HOME 	AWAY 	L10[/B]
    Philadelphia 	8 	6 	2 	0 	12 	31 	16 	25.0 	83.8 	4-0-0 	2-2-0 	6-2-0
    NY Islanders 	8 	5 	3 	0 	10 	23 	25 	27.0 	90.9 	3-1-0 	2-2-0 	5-3-0
    Pittsburgh 	8 	5 	3 	0 	10 	25 	24 	21.7 	84.2 	3-2-0 	2-1-0 	5-3-0
    New Jersey 	8 	3 	4 	1 	7 	21 	28 	18.6 	68.6 	0-0-0 	3-4-1 	3-4-1
    NY Rangers 	8 	2 	5 	1 	5 	13 	17 	12.8 	86.4 	2-1-0 	0-4-1 	2-5-1
    [B]
    NORTHEAST 	GP 	W 	L 	OTL 	PTS 	GF 	GA 	PP% 	PK% 	HOME 	AWAY 	L10[/B]
    Ottawa 	        9 	8 	1 	0 	16 	30 	18 	16.3 	90.9 	5-1-0 	3-0-0 	8-1-0
    Boston 	        8 	5 	3 	0 	10 	21 	21 	21.9 	82.9 	2-0-0 	3-3-0 	5-3-0
    Montreal 	8 	4 	2 	2 	10 	24 	20 	26.8 	78.9 	2-1-1 	2-1-1 	4-2-2
    Toronto 	10 	3 	4 	3 	9 	37 	42 	12.5 	78.8 	3-3-2 	0-1-1 	3-4-3
    Buffalo 	8 	3 	5 	0 	6 	28 	29 	18.8 	81.0 	3-2-0 	0-3-0 	3-5-0
    [B]
    SOUTHEAST 	GP 	W 	L 	OTL 	PTS 	GF 	GA 	PP% 	PK% 	HOME 	AWAY 	L10[/B]
    Carolina 	10 	6 	1 	3 	15 	35 	21 	24.1 	82.0 	3-0-1 	3-1-2 	6-1-3
    Tampa Bay 	7 	4 	3 	0 	8 	24 	21 	18.8 	82.1 	4-0-0 	0-3-0 	4-3-0
    Washington 	8 	4 	4 	0 	8 	19 	22 	10.3 	77.5 	2-2-0 	2-2-0 	4-4-0
    Florida 	9 	4 	5 	0 	8 	22 	26 	19.1 	82.2 	3-1-0 	1-4-0 	4-5-0
    Atlanta 	9 	2 	7 	0 	4 	21 	40 	10.0 	68.6 	1-3-0 	1-4-0 	2-7-0

[I]Western Conference[/I]
    [B]
    CENTRAL 	GP 	W 	L 	OTL 	PTS 	GF 	GA 	PP% 	PK% 	HOME 	AWAY 	L10[/B]
    Detroit 	10 	7 	2 	1 	15 	35 	26 	22.4 	85.7 	4-1-0 	3-1-1 	7-2-1
    St. Louis 	7 	5 	2 	0 	10 	23 	14 	17.6 	91.4 	3-1-0 	2-1-0 	5-2-0
    Chicago 	9 	5 	4 	0 	10 	26 	26 	18.4 	76.9 	3-3-0 	2-1-0 	5-4-0
    Columbus 	8 	4 	3 	1 	9 	23 	19 	17.8 	93.2 	2-1-1 	2-2-0 	4-3-1
    Nashville 	8 	2 	6 	0 	4 	18 	30 	15.6 	83.8 	2-2-0 	0-4-0 	2-6-0
    [B]
    NORTHWEST 	GP 	W 	L 	OTL 	PTS 	GF 	GA 	PP% 	PK% 	HOME 	AWAY 	L10[/B]
    Minnesota 	9 	7 	1 	1 	15 	23 	16 	14.0 	89.4 	4-0-0 	3-1-1 	7-1-1
    Calgary 	10 	5 	3 	2 	12 	35 	33 	19.1 	73.3 	3-2-1 	2-1-1 	5-3-2
    Colorado 	9 	5 	4 	0 	10 	30 	28 	15.9 	85.4 	4-0-0 	1-4-0 	5-4-0
    Vancouver 	10 	4 	6 	0 	8 	27 	32 	20.8 	80.7 	1-4-0 	3-2-0 	4-6-0
    Edmonton 	9 	3 	6 	0 	6 	20 	30 	2.9 	81.6 	2-2-0 	1-4-0 	3-6-0
    [B]
    PACIFIC 	GP 	W 	L 	OTL 	PTS 	GF 	GA 	PP% 	PK% 	HOME 	AWAY 	L10[/B]
    San Jose 	9 	5 	3 	1 	11 	23 	20 	18.9 	86.4 	1-2-0 	4-1-1 	5-3-1
    Dallas 	        8 	4 	2 	2 	10 	22 	19 	20.0 	85.4 	3-0-1 	1-2-1 	4-2-2
    Anaheim 	11 	4 	6 	1 	9 	25 	31 	12.3 	78.0 	4-1-0 	0-5-1 	4-5-1
    Los Angeles 	10 	4 	6 	0 	8 	33 	36 	24.1 	78.7 	3-3-0 	1-3-0 	4-6-0
    Phoenix 	7 	2 	5 	0 	4 	16 	23 	11.8 	77.8 	1-4-0 	1-1-0 	2-5-0

Improvement from the Penguins, winning four from their last six. Standout team is still Ottawa, and I'm delighted for them, they've a great team and are some genuine decent guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Lets go RANGERS!!all the way baby!

eroo wrote: »
    Lets go RANGERS!!all the way baby!
    Ooh a division rival, I like! Penguins two up at the moment, guess who...

He's reaching top form.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Let me just say this: Welcome Home JONATHON TOEWS and PATRICK KANE !!

Kane was named the NHL Rookie of the Month just edging out linemate Toews in the voting. Both are averaging a point per game or better (in Kane's case).

They have helped peak interest in my Chicago Blackhawks (although their attendance is still ranked 30/30 teams).

These kids are amazing to watch.

I knew what we were getting in Toews having watched him play at North Dakota, two Under-20 World Junior Hockey Championships, as well as the World Junior Hockey Championships this past June.

Kane absolutely amazes me with his playmaking ability at the moment. This kid is so much more than advertised going into the NHL draft.

At 18 and 19 respectively, these two kids are already making hockey interesting again in the Windy City.

Kane was named the NHL Rookie of the Month just edging out linemate Toews in the voting. Both are averaging a point per game or better (in Kane's case).

They have helped peak interest in my Chicago Blackhawks (although their attendance is still ranked 30/30 teams).

I knew what we were getting in Toews having watched him play at North Dakota, two Under-20 World Junior Hockey Championships, as well as the World Junior Hockey Championships this past June.

Kane absolutely amazes me with his playmaking ability at the moment. This kid is so much more than advertised going into the NHL draft.

At 18 and 19 respectively, these two kids are already making hockey interesting again in the Windy City.
    Certainly the most exciting team to watch in the NHL at the moment. Ruutu's +/- is one of the best in the league at the moment too, and Lang is a consistent goalscorer. It was him earlier in the season who sacrificed an empty net for one of the younger guys to score wasn't it? Great leadership.

Certainly hope they make the playoffs, it would be a great experience for the younger guys.

Also, how good are Ottawa so far!? Brilliant to see the likes of Fisher, Vermette and Alfredsson doing so well, I've great hopes for them to go all the way this year, after going so well last year and falling at the final hurdle.

You don't have to be a hockey fan to realise how touching this is...

Do it for Elgin lads.

Have your say in the All-Stars:

http://fanballoting.nhl.com/vote.asp?site=INT

Sabres-Senators on NASN in twenty minutes, c'mon the Sens!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

Did anyone see the Sens vs Habs game on Saturday? It really was playoff standard hockey. It's such a pity that Montreal couldn't hold on for the win, we fell asleep in the third period, too busy protecting our monumental 1 goal lead (not for the first time this season). Huet was magnificent. It was a sickening game to lose in the manner we did (3 goals conceded in the last 5:11 of the third period).

In other news....we finally beat the Leafs!!!!!!!! It took long enough.... Price kept Montreal in the game. The Leafs were able to waltz into his crease unchecked for much of the first two periods, which displeases me. Montreal's second line (Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Kovalev) was the only one that turned up for the full game. While Montreal played better against Toronto than they have done in the last three games against the same opposition, they still have to play a lot better against the "poor" teams if they want to make the playoffs.

All in all, I'm satisfied with how the season has gone so far. Kovalev has been great this season. The defence is far more solid. The goaltending is far more consistent (Price in place of Aebischer). The powerplay is purring along nicely. Sheldon who? Where Montreal are failing is in their inability to score enough goals 5 on 5, just like last season. They still have the knack of losing to the likes of Florida while beating Carolina twice and running Ottawa close. The Habs need to play a full 60 minutes in every game, otherwise we'll have more losses to teams that should be put away. It's looking an awful lot like a repeat of last season to me. Remember, the annual early Spring collapse has yet to come.

All Montreal needs to ensure a playoff place is a true goal scorer. If Montreal could just get Lecavilier from Tampa, that would really improve this team. The foundations are there for a really good team. All we need now is someone who knows where the goal is.

Great to see that Chicago has some good young talent available to them. :) I really hope that the 'Hawks make the playoffs this year. The way they are playing at the moment, they are finally looking like putting away the malaise that has gripped them for nearly a decade now.

PS: I can't believe that Montreal traded Samsonov to Chicago. He's tearing it up there, really showing us what we're missing with his whopping 3 points (3 assists) and -6 average in 13 games this season. Come back Sergei! :rolleyes:
    MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Have your say in the All-Stars:

http://fanballoting.nhl.com/vote.asp?site=INT

Sabres-Senators on NASN in twenty minutes, c'mon the Sens!
    Thanks for the link. I've attached a screenshot of my picks to this post. As you might guess, I was impressed by Anaheim last year!

I'd love it if either the Sens or the Flames won the cup this season (although any Canadian winner would do....except Toronto :p). Ottawa look to be the only realistic Canadian challengers though, unless Montreal performs a repeat of 1993 (or another club throws in an Edmonton 2006 performance). They're leading Buffalo 3-2 right now, which is good for Montreal.

PS: I can't believe that Montreal traded Samsonov to Chicago. He's tearing it up there, really showing us what we're missing with his whopping 3 points (3 assists) and -6 average in 13 games this season. Come back Sergei!

To be honest Sergei has played 'bigger than his numbers'......at times.

Although we Chicagoan's are still laughing at the fact that Les Habs took Cullimore and Salmalaien off of our hands in exchange for Samsonov.

How are they workin' out for you these days ?

Exactly.

One man's trash is another man's treasure I guess.

Samsonov either turns it all around in Chicago or else he will be looking for work back in Mother Russia as his contract expires at midnight 30th June, 2008.

The Hawks were coming off of a three game winning streak, and have now only mustered one point in their last two games.

The Hawks have Detroit on Saturday at the Joe Louis Arena and are 3-0 so far against them.

Hopefully we can continue with that mini-streak.

• Advertisement

article_11060_2.jpg

Ottawa @ Montreal tonight on NASN at 12.30am.

Well my Blackhawks have had a pretty good week (so far).

The hawks beat Detroit for the fourth time this season and then had a long break (five days) before heading into Calgary last night to face 'Mad Mike' Keenan and the Flames in the Saddledome.

To make a long story short, the Hawks scored two shorthanded goals (this makes five in the last two games) to beat the Flames 2-1.

The Flames outshot the Hawks 2-1 on the night.

The Hawks now roll down PROVINCIAL ROUTE 2 to face the Oilers Saturday night, and then over to Vancouver to face the Canucks on Sunday.

This is the first Novermber roadtrip that the Hawks will have a winning record on as far ads I can remember.

The Ringling Brothers Circus traditionally has three weeks in the United Center in Novermber each year causing the Chicago Bull and Blackhawks to take to the road to play an extended period away from the UC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Rhiannon14

Bruins ftw '07! :D

What the hell is wrong with the Philadelphia Flyers this year? Dirtiest team in sport at the moment.

First there was Downie on McAmmond (20 game ban)

Then Boulerice...(25 game ban)

Randy Jones...

Brad Richards...

And now Hartnell wants a piece of the action too.

Some serious disciplinary issues there. Seems to be working though, they're top of the conference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

I live in Calgary and am a Flames fan. Grew up in Toronto and loved the Leafs.

I hate the Habs and the Oilers. Used to hate Buffalo, don't mind them now.

I have been to NHL games in Toronto MLG, Detroit, Buffalo (the Aud), Chicago (the old Stadium), Winnipeg, Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver.

The reason that the Sabres sold tickets for th eoutdoor game to those living in Southern ontario is because they understand that is their fan base.

Just like Celtics fan base is in Ireland. Although it is far more pronounced in Southern Ontario.

Flames are garbage so far this year.

You can watch games on www.myp2p.eu

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    What the hell is wrong with the Philadelphia Flyers this year? Dirtiest team in sport at the moment.

First there was Downie on McAmmond (20 game ban)

Some serious disciplinary issues there. Seems to be working though, they're top of the conference.

A throw back to the Broad Street Bullies days?

I still hate the Flyers from those days.

Welcome aboard Brian. Was in Calgary ten years ago next summer, loved the place. Unfortunately it wasn't hockey season at the time but I've always had a soft spot for the Flames (and hated the Oilers, obviously!).

Whats your connection with Ireland btw? Have you lived here?

My Mother is a Dublin girl, My wife is a Derry gril and my Dad is from Co. Down.

I have an Irish Passport, been to the Ro I 3 times and NI four.

I love the place and hope to move there within th enext few years. Then I may come to love the CBC, just to watch HNIC while away from Canada.

The Penguins are in town this Thursday for the first time in two or three years.

It's a hot ticket. Sidney Crosby is the selling point.

A wothwhile watch is the World Junior Championship that starts on Dec 26. There are times when I prefer Junior hockey to NHL.

• Advertisement

We get good coverage of the hockey over here now, we get HNIC every Saturday and hockey about 5 nights a week in total.

Penguins are in good form for a change, won 4 out of the last 5. Cheers for the heads-up on the Junior Championships, I don't think it will be covered over here but I'll keep an eye out for links online.

Advertisement